• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think somewhere along the line, you've butchered my argument to the point that it's become something of a strawman. The actual core point I stated was that BC software is software, to you were the one arguing it wasn't (as I understood your argument). All the other things mentioned were tangential.

I also never argued that PS4Pro wasn't hardware BC. I'm arguing that PS5 BC CANNOT be hardware BC because PS5 is fundamentally different on the micro-architectural level, x86 and GCN ISA aside. Both CPU and GPU are an entirely new generation of hardware micro-architecture, and the memory subsystem design, together with i/o and SSD are fundamentally different. So rather unlike the PRO, BC cannot be achieved by simply disabling CUs and lowering clockspeeds and then everything works, i.e. hardware BC (of which I'm pretty sure it's even more complicated than that on the Pro). A BC software layer is required in order to abstract away the application from the more dissimilar aspects of the hardware.
Yeah, Cerny talked about it on why they didnt upgrade the Jaguar for the pro. It was in an interview with DF.

(Also patented a method for spoofing cpuid a few months before the interview, which is possibly the software layer)

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I was thinking, if the ps5 specs are a bit disappointing compared to the xsx, CES might be a good low-key way to reveal them. That way their February conference can be all about games, features and price. Personally, I don't think the ps5 will disappoint specs wise but you never know.

Lol come one man.

They're not revealing the specs tonight.. they haven't told the gaming press!!!!!

Is not that hard to understand

Price, more so at E3. Everything else though, more than likely I say.

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
So the only thing revealed during AMD was the rear ports of the Xbox Series X. Set your Sony expectations accordingly.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Lol come one man.

They're not revealing the specs tonight.. they haven't told the gaming press!!!!!

Is not that hard to understand

We just need the logo man. Just the logo.

Which to be honest it should be something like this:

Playstation-5.jpg

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
The most I'd expect from Sony gaming-wise tonight is maybe mentioning Dreams and hint about future VR plans.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Why can't we expect a PS Meeting date? What the fuck are we even watching this stuff for if we can't even expect that?

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how you can make assumptions about AMD's RT solution just because they've not shown it yet. It's entirely possible they just want to wait until closer to the launch of RT capable dGPUs, or want to show up at one of the console reveals.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The only light in the tunel is that Cory Barlog is there. It could be just personal visit out of interest but if you want to showcase something gaming he could do it.
My thought is it's a business trip for personal development.

I'm a little disheartened about the potential for ray-tracing in next gen consoles, but I suppose I shouldn't have high expectations given AMD's GPU pedigree.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
I agree with you but I have a Rtx 2070 and I say that rt is a totally waste by the performance it consumes. When you are playing you can't pay attention to reflexes details. Do you think you in the middle of battlefield you stop to see the reflexes on puddles? Or windows?

It is a waste that destroys performance.

It cools to look but in a game session who fucking care about these details.
"Reflections"
The same thing could be said for almost literally anything.
Like when you're in a middle of battle do your really NEED those high detailed textures? Do you NEED ambient occlusion? Do you NEED all those particle effects?
This line of argument is pointless.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Do you think you in the middle of battlefield you stop to see the reflexes on puddles? Or windows?

Well, not every game is (a) Battlefield.
But I have to say, most RTX off Vs RTX on comparisons I've seen left me very underwhelmed, except for Minecraft and Control I'd say.
Plus I think it's too expensive to believe it could be used to any meaningful degree in most console games; I think whoever came up with a "hybrid" solution made the right call.
Still weird that AMD had nothing to say about RT

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
"Reflections"
The same thing could be said for almost literally anything.
Like when you're in a middle of battle do your really NEED those high detailed textures? Do you NEED ambient occlusion? Do you NEED all those particle effects?
This line of argument is pointless.
Yes textures particles you will see all the time. Reflections on puddles? I don't think so...

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
So Cory B. being in Vegas is just a simple coincidence? Or major trolling from Sony lol

Going by what Tom said, it isn't the sort of place you choose to go to. Unless work required it?

Tech industry people go to tech conferences all the time.. there are parties involved, debauchery, etc.

Tom maybe doesn't like tech shows but it is incredibly normal for people in tech industries to go to trade shows even if there isn't anything inherent to their job involved.

At some companies it's basically a paid vacation.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you but I have a Rtx 2070 and I say that rt is a totally waste by the performance it consumes. When you are playing you can't pay attention to reflexes details. Do you think you in the middle of battlefield you stop to see the reflexes on puddles? Or windows?

It is a waste that destroys performance.

It cools to look but in a game session who fucking care about these details.

RT is a hell of a lot more than reflections. Just take a look at the Metro comparison pics Dictator posted for a good taste of how drastically RT can improve an image. You don't have to go out of your way to notice that one looks natural and the other crap by comparison.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I think the most we can hope for from the Sony conference (PS related) is an announcement of PS Now for mobile devices.

I'm secretly hoping for a reveal of that patented "McDonalds" tech..

Me: "Playstation, order me a big mac!"
PS4: "It's on the way, Threads. I also took the liberty of informing them to hold the tomatoes. I hope you don't mind?"
Me: "You gotdamned rite, PS4!"

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, there are external power supplies that use the same connector - for the AC cable - but in this case it's clearly present on the XSX console itself. While there's no technical reason you couldn't deliver DC over that style connector, I can't think of a time I've ever seen it done. It would be a disaster on a piece of consumer electronics as an invitation to plug a standard AC cable into your device and do unspeakable damage.

Can you point to a single counter-example?

the og Xbox one brick connected to the console with a 2 prong female plug.

but yeah I was actually thinking of my laptop brick with has the 2 prong on the adapter, not the laptop. so yeah most likely internal psu. I'm surprised it isn't a 3 prong like you see on most PC Psus though.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Can I get an update? I was at work for 10hrs again. Working 60hrs work week for this month if I can

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is Sony supposed to show anything ps5 related at ces tonight? Or is it just a new tv or something?

Jun 23, 2019
Meh. I'm going to go to dinner and get a juicy steak and hopefully by the time I come back, Sony actually dropped some info 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.