• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
that connector is used with both internal and external power supplies. How does it confirm anything?

Sure, there are external power supplies that use the same connector - for the AC cable - but in this case it's clearly present on the XSX console itself. While there's no technical reason you couldn't deliver DC over that style connector, I can't think of a time I've ever seen it done. It would be a disaster on a piece of consumer electronics as an invitation to plug a standard AC cable into your device and do unspeakable damage.

Can you point to a single counter-example?

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me it seems that rdna 1 card using 36 compute units is considered by amd the ultimate 1080p card. Arent these the supposed github specs for the ps5? if so then doesnt it confirm that leak is false? how the fuck is gonna be promoting an 4k console when that shit can only be 1080?

clock speed, console efficiency etc

is the XBX capped at 1080p?

ArabianPrynce

Jun 1, 2019
Oberon was clocked at 2ghz though.
considering what the guy from digital foundry said here in the previous thread that 2ghz doesnt seem likely its probably gonna be 1.8ghz
clock speed, console efficiency etc

is the XBX capped at 1080p?
your not taking into cosidering how next gen games are going to be more detailed thus more power hungry. I dont know sony or ms are gonna power those games in native 4k with only like 9 tflops

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the sony livestream just went live. but not showing anything probably for the next hour and a half+

edit:

actually some lady is talking, but i dont have any audio...weird

edit: audio works now

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Guys think of the positives, it's CES, there are tons of developers there that have had access to the dev kits for months now, something is bound to leak over the next couple of days. :)

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
My feelings about ray tracing performance in these next gen consoles from an AMD based solution have soured pretty strongly after they weren't willing to even reveal "big Navi" or talk about RT at all briefly here. I am excited about the consoles in general, but man AMD sucks with GPU tech compared to Nvidia for sure.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
O1pOKDA.png

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking, if the ps5 specs are a bit disappointing compared to the xsx, CES might be a good low-key way to reveal them. That way their February conference can be all about games, features and price. Personally, I don't think the ps5 will disappoint specs wise but you never know.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My feelings about ray tracing performance in these next gen consoles from an AMD based solution have soured pretty strongly after they weren't willing to even reveal "big Navi" or talk about RT at all briefly here. I am excited about the consoles in general, but man AMD sucks with GPU tech compared to Nvidia for sure.

Yeah, that was the biggest wtf. Nothing on raytracing

EBomb

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to promote a brand new Graphics card that doesn't include RT by simultaneously previewing how amazing your new RT features will be for a product that is releasing in 3-9 months.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to promote a brand new Graphics card that doesn't include RT by simultaneously previewing how amazing your new RT features will be for a product that is releasing in 3-9 months.

But the 5600 XT is for 1080p gaming anyway, so a tease or look ahead would be for the higher end graphics cards.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Condescendance huh? Out of arguments it seems?

The OS is software. The drivers are software. The firmwares are software. Even a non-negligible part of what constitutes CPUs nowadays can be debated to be actually software.

What they're not is "backwards compatibility software", as in an emulator (like the 360 emulator on X1). On PCs, by design, these software allow and enable backwards compatibility. But they're just regular software needed to utilize the hardware, which just so happen to allow backwards compatibility, most of it by design (meaning with little to no additional work).

The PS4 Pro is backwards compatible with PS4 at hardware level by being the same overall architecture and simply downgrading itself to a base PS4 (boost mode excluded). It's likely to be the philosophy we'll see behind PS5 BC based on leaks/speculation. There will be little software involved. But then again maybe it'll work differently who knows 🤷‍♀️

I think somewhere along the line, you've butchered my argument to the point that it's become something of a strawman. The actual core point I stated was that BC software is software, to which you were the one arguing it wasn't (as I understood your argument). All the other things mentioned were tangential.

I also never argued that PS4Pro wasn't hardware BC. I'm arguing that PS5 BC CANNOT be hardware BC because PS5 is fundamentally different on the micro-architectural level, x86 and GCN ISA aside. Both CPU and GPU are an entirely new generation of hardware micro-architecture, and the memory subsystem design, together with i/o and SSD are fundamentally different. So rather unlike the PRO, BC cannot be achieved by simply disabling CUs and lowering clockspeeds and then everything works, i.e. hardware BC (of which I'm pretty sure it's even more complicated than that on the Pro). A BC software layer is required in order to abstract away the application from the more dissimilar aspects of the hardware.

Last edited:

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
The only light in the tunel is that Cory Barlog is there. It could be just personal visit out of interest but if you want to showcase something gaming he could do it.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
I was thinking, if the ps5 specs are a bit disappointing compared to the xsx, CES might be a good low-key way to reveal them. That way their February conference can be all about games, features and price. Personally, I don't think the ps5 will disappoint specs wise but you never know.
Price, more so at E3. Everything else though, more than likely I say.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
On this we agree

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
I agree with you but I have a Rtx 2070 and I say that rt is a totally waste by the performance it consumes. When you are playing you can't pay attention to reflexes details. Do you think you in the middle of battlefield you stop to see the reflexes on puddles? Or windows?

It is a waste that destroys performance.

It cools to look but in a game session who fucking care about these details.

Status
Not open for further replies.