• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Usman Pirzada measurements:

Now assuming Phil did not use a lens with too wonky a perspective (eg: some fisheye lenses), our results show us that the Xbox Scorpio and Xbox Scarlett APUs are roughly the same in width but the Xbox Scarlett APU is slightly longer in height. Our calculations put the Xbox Scarlett APU at roughly 401mm², which is an increase of almost 42mm² over the Xbox Scorpio chip at 359mm². The brand new APU features hardware-based raytracing (which seems to be all the rage these days) and a Zen 2-based CPU core.

Scorpio had 2560 SPs with 2 CUs disabled and while the Xbox Scarlett APU is clearly bigger, it is not possible to speculate based just on the die size because of the different process node involved (7nm vs 16nm) but we can safely say that you are looking at at least 50% more power in the same die space. Since the Scorpio APU can output roughly 6 TFLOPs of power, we can guesstimate a range of around 9 TFLOPs for the Scarlett APU.

Dec 10, 2019
I counted the pixels high of Scorpio which was 126 and a length of 185

Scarlett is 161 high and length of 218

15.45x23.175 = 358mm2 roughly (i just did some quick maths to get 359mm2 at 1:1.5 ratio and settled at 358 just because i couldn't be arsed to fine tune it)

dividing scorpio 15.45 by 126 and multiplying by 161 gets me 19.74
dividing scorpio 23.175 by 185 and multiplying by 218 gets me 27.31

19.74 x 27.31 = 539

did i do something wrong in there?
I don't see any error, but 540mm² is just not happening. That's a 50% bigger die
Maybe we need to wait for a different picture.

This seems to be the best yet:
Xbox-Scarlett-Die-Size-Comparison-scaled.jpg

Xbox Series X is ~400mm² according to this

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Yeah I know the obvious takes incoming but....

Vita lives?

Literally had the same thought but I checked and saw that Vita's GPU was powered by PowerVR tech. Unless they are partnering with nVidia for a Vita 2 Shield esque stuff, like someone said before, the guy used be part of SuckerPunch and this is a timely little trolling in fun.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
User Banned (1 day): Console wars, trolling
Scorpio had 2560 SPs with 2 CUs disabled and while the Xbox Scarlett APU is clearly bigger, it is not possible to speculate based just on the die size because of the different process node involved (7nm vs 16nm) but we can safely say that you are looking at at least 50% more power in the same die space. Since the Scorpio APU can output roughly 6 TFLOPs of power, we can guesstimate a range of around 9 TFLOPs for the Scarlett APU.

🤔🤔

😂😂😂

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I was being sarcastic :P

I thought it was decent but there's no denying it was heavily rushed to wrap up the trilogy and some plot points in previous films were either dropped or retconned

Oops... sorry. It didn't come across.

Everything is software in computers (besides silicon, and even then it's debatable for a large part of it).

Providing the old version of the software abstraction layer is not "software" in the sense that's it's basically the same piece of software that was present years ago, just still made available, sometimes with a small trick to be able to access it behind the latest version. There's no specific development needed to make it work on the latest hardware. I mean of course there are newer drivers for new hardware like GPU, but they're not considered "backwards compatibility software", just adjusted software to interface with the new hardware.

And yeah the whole point of PCs especially Windows PC is backwards compatibility. And of course sometimes you need special abstraction layers like WoW64 (to run old 32bit apps) but if you wanna run a 5 year old software on the latest i9 which didn't exist at the time, no special software layer is needed. That's the whole point. It just runs as the CPU presents the same instruction sets (and more).

Dude, software and hardware are two well defined and universally understood terms. We can't just start re-defining what the terms means in order to fit a narrative.

APIs like DirectX, Vulcan et al, are software. Emulation/interpretation/abstraction layers written for consoles to play legacy games are software. Drivers are software.

Hardware is the physical stuff you can touch and is printed on silicon, metal or plastic. It's pretty straightforward as far as definitions go.

NSFW, bruh

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
9tf RDNA is roughly double 6tf GCU, so it makes sense if the SeX is ~9tf. Would also make sense if the PS5 was ~10tf RDNA as well. Very close in power like everyone reputable has stated.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's based on his estimate of what the GPU size would be, without taking into account clockspeed increases.

Sure but if IIRC yesterday we had an article from gamesradar of a dev saying clocks won't be that much different from what we current see on consoles. So who knows, maybe it's not 9 but it's around 10 TF or something.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.