• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB

Oct 28, 2017
By my eye, the teaser showed almost a 2:1 ratio. This one shows a ratio identical to Scorpio almost.

Also worth noting that if you take 70+250=320 for Zen 2 and Navi 10 and give the extra 60 mm^2 for the GPU, you scale to 52.8 CUs (there's some stuff on the IO die the GPU wouldn't have that would likely need to be moved over, too). Given that it likely doesn't have a full 384-bit memory bus and not everything needs to scale up, I think the CU count is indeed likely in the 56-60 range.

What about the use of what looks like copper, what's the significance of that?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
What about the use of what looks like copper, what's the significance of that?
Looks like a copper IHS. It's the most economical of the good heat conductors (gold and silver are obviously cost prohibitive). I'm surprised it's not aluminum though. Aluminum is very nearly the same thermal conductivity with a fraction of the cost.

L33

Dec 20, 2019
Scorpio Engine:
th_34.jpeg

Scarlett Engine:
dO7wSpcd_400x400.jpg

Looks taller :o
I suspect digital foundry are going into overdrive as we speak trying to calculate size etc, out of interest has anyone tried scanning the qr code?

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I can already see it. "well... The spec sheet I have was correct when I got it.."

That, or complete disappearance.

Or "I never actually said X console would be more powerful than Y. You chose to interpret it that way"

It's always the same with cryptic "insiders". They always go silent once all odds stack against them. If they were wrong, they simply claim that things change.
Calling things change a copout is kind of a copout in itself.

Check out Mecha Meister's post on Klee. Things aren't as simple as you put it.

Jason and Matt aren't going in hiding after spec reveals either.

KOB

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like a copper IHS. It's the most economical of the good heat conductors (gold and silver are obviously cost prohibitive). I'm surprised it's not aluminum though. Aluminum is very nearly the same thermal conductivity with a fraction of the cost.

Now your 'interesting' comment makes sense. Thanks!

Dec 10, 2019

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
So on the day that AMD is rumored to announce "Big Navi" Phil Spencer changes his profile picture to a gigantic Xbox Series X SOC, hmm...

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Mark Cerny has likely already made a Wired Part 3. Its obvious he is aware of the chat.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Someone in here said ~380mm²
But if the overlay picture is correct, it's ~430mm²

380mm² seems a little low. That's just 1.5mm taller than the Xbox One X SOC (or 4mm higher and 2 mm shorter)

I counted the pixels high of Scorpio which was 126 and a length of 185

Scarlett is 161 high and length of 218

15.45x23.175 = 358mm2 roughly (i just did some quick maths to get 359mm2 at 1:1.5 ratio and settled at 358 just because i couldn't be arsed to fine tune it)

dividing scorpio 15.45 by 126 and multiplying by 161 gets me 19.74
dividing scorpio 23.175 by 185 and multiplying by 218 gets me 27.31

19.74 x 27.31 = 539

did i do something wrong in there?

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
They quickly addressed the RT talk. So, yeah, it isn't impossible that they choose to put out accurate information.

I think it's better for them to go into the reveal with the current narrative "Underpromise and overdeliver..." and all that.

Also, may not even get a number on the reveal (3 times the performance of the PSPro is what I expect), much less before it I reckon.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn that thing is huge. 400-425mm2? crazy.

the arden rumor from the chinese leaker suggested a 350mm2 gpu. add 40-50mm2 for a cut down zen 2 and some i/o stuff and you are looking at a monster.

i think 12 tflops is a bit of an underestimate. this monster could be even higher than that.

Oct 27, 2017
They quickly addressed the RT talk. So, yeah, it isn't impossible that they choose to put out accurate information.
The Wired article with Cerny's RT statement was in August (and I think it was only after the "PlayStation 5" name was official) as part of a second info dump when they started sending DS5 prototypes out. The original article was in April.
— though the article author himself did tweet after it that visuals were discussed as part of his RT discussion with Cerny.

I think they are pretty happy to just stick to whatever their plans are and reveal things on their own terms.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
The second Wired interview in which Cerny directly addressed RT was six months after the first Wired interview. I'm not sure I'd call that fast.

I think they're referencing the instance where the person that interviewed Mark came out on twitter and noted that they did indeed ask him to clarify about RT for audio vs RT for graphics and that Mark clarified it was graphics too, and that for some reason that bit didn't make it in the initial article.

That post wasn't long after the interview released.

Oct 25, 2017
Calling things change a copout is kind of a copout in itself.

Check out Mecha Meister's post on Klee. Things aren't as simple as you put it.

Jason and Matt aren't going in hiding after spec reveals either.

I understand. I don't believe Klee is lying (Apologies if it came out that way!), but it makes me think even he's not fully confident about the info he has obtained. Of course I don't believe he's making claims for the fame or anything, but doing the "I know stuff, but won't reveal anything until Sony and Ms reveal everything" just doesn't sit well with me.

I really admire Klee's efforts on protecting his sources. But a simple "yes" or "no" regarding the TF numbers of both consoles would be more than enough and the source would still be safe.

Anyways, just venting. In the end we're all on the same train.

And Klee, I apologize for the cynicism. I'm sure you understand. ;)

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
This is no coincidence, something next gen related will happen today in some way or another.
Next-Gen RDNA details and RDNA2 details imo. Probably a couple bullet points of what will be in the next-gen machines. I don't expect any deep dive on what each machine does specifically though. It'll be something that pulls the lid off a bit. a Sneak Peak of what we will speculate on next! We already know VRS Tier 2 is in the Series X.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Damn that thing is huge. 400-425mm2? crazy.

the arden rumor from the chinese leaker suggested a 350mm2 gpu. add 40-50mm2 for a cut down zen 2 and some i/o stuff and you are looking at a monster.

i think 12 tflops is a bit of an underestimate. this monster could be even higher than that.
Whats the latest rumor for the PS5 GPU size?
Also, I haven't been keeping up. Whats the percentage we are likely to get some XSX and PS5 info today at CES?

Status
Not open for further replies.