• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Who has hinted at a 40% difference in GPU power between the two consoles? I'm a bit puzzled that people are actually considering this.

In my very humble opinion, there will be some PS5-related info at CES.

I think that VGA XSX reveal was a bit of surprise for Sony, and they've tried to counter it ASAP, resulting in somewhat strange Godfall announcement. No offense to devs, but I'm pretty sure that 3rd party game from not so famous team won't be the best representative of next gen abilities. Imagine PS4 reveal with something like Contrast or Outlast, graphics wise.

Most likely Godfall was the only (timed/console)-exclusive game with teaser available, so Sony just went with it, and reception wasn't that hot in result.

And that's why now I expect CES to have something like reveal date announcement and exclusive game teaser/announcement with closer to Hellblade 2 level of impression, most likely first party... and I expect MS to announce something within couple of days of PS5 reveal event as well.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think he's a liar but also don't think he's a wizard who's going to pull 14 TF out of thin air.
He'll pull out 13tf though ;)

Seriously though, XSX turned out to be more powerful than I expected, no doubt about that, but since I still believe Sony will have a more powerful box that means that I think PS5 will be around 13tf. Can't back it up in any way but this is what I'm going with until proven false by official figures or DF after the launched.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Github data contained info about GPU, nothing in relation to CPU could be found. Once again, you have no idea how dated that GPU is. Or, it is, in any way/shape/form going to be used in the final silicon of PS5. It could very well be a 5700 with 4 disabled CUs being used to run some stress/burn tests and check BC compatibility.

Just because we don't have definitive knowledge about the final APU which is going to be in PS5 doesn't mean what Github data shows is the final part. Because, consoles in essence are designed to maximize efficiency. Clocking a GPU at 2.0 GHz is anything but. Once again, I'm asking you, why do you think Sony will box themselves behind a 36CU? Even if the performance target is 9.2 TF, there are more efficient ways to reach that. The biggest hint is that there is nothing in the data which provides any info about RT/VRS. Cerny himself confirmed RT at hardware level, so where is it? If you're talking about external RT support, once again the question goes back to that of efficiency. It is not efficient to using a custom based hardware for RT when the APU designer themselves have RT tech in the works at a hardware level.

Why is that so hard to believe? How many APUs do you think MS designed for Lockhart and Anaconda? Why do Sony have to be locked in behind spending their entire R&D money on a single APU?

Guess what NAVi GPU had 40CUs which went into mass production at tail end of 2018? Few months later, PS5 devkits were out at large. Is it so hard to believe that Sony went with an early APU design housing those parts so as to allow the devs to start working on next-gen games as soon as possible? They tested different clocks such as 1.8 - 2.0 GHz to reach their performance target, while they waited for bigger NAVI to go into production with RT/VRS tech etc.

Retail machines won't be clocked at 2.0 GHz, it'll be slower than that, and if we are to going to run with the narrative of 36CU being final, then final gap is going to be substantially larger than 2.8 TF which Sony would be aware about. They are much smarter to concede that amount of advantage, even though the arm-chair experts on this forum would make you believe otherwise..
You're speaking way too much sense..
I for one can't wait for the reveal :)

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
In my very humble opinion, there will be some PS5-related info at CES.

I think that VGA XSX reveal was a bit of surprise for Sony, and they've tried to counter it ASAP, resulting in somewhat strange Godfall announcement. No offense to devs, but I'm pretty sure that 3rd party game from not so famous team won't be the best representative of next gen abilities. Imagine PS4 reveal with something like Contrast or Outlast, graphics wise.

Most likely Godfall was the only (timed/console)-exclusive game with teaser available, so Sony just went with it, and reception wasn't that hot in result.

And that's why now I expect CES to have something like reveal date announcement and exclusive game teaser/announcement with closer to Hellblade 2 level of impression, most likely first party... and I expect MS to announce something within couple of days of PS5 reveal event as well.
I highly doubt Sony had any say other than maybe giving their okay in Godfall dropping a trailer.

Also, I think if there were something coming from CES (something substantial), they've be advertising that by now. But who knows, the most concrete stuff about the console was dropped in a wired article out of nowhere.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you're one of those people that think you know better than Professional Outlets and industry professionals that have spoken with MS.
Any way you flip it a 10 TF GPU is NOT 2 times the XB1X GPU. Even if a 10 TF GPU can get you 2 times the graphic loads. It still can not do 2 times the compute. Therefore it must at a minimum be 12 TF's or Phil was lying.
You mean industry professionals like Alex from DF who was also wondering if maybe multipliers were used in lieu of hard numbers because of the difference in performance between rDNS and GCN?
To be clear, I responded to your assertion that people questioning outright TF numbers must be bad at math. Reasonable people do have cause to question these things without being insulted.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Having a cheaper console doesnt mean making your premium console absurdly expensive, look at what happened to the ps3. MS promoting their xsx as their FLAGSHIP cosole, meaning this one thats going to be their next gen console that they want a large number of consumers to buy. If this was a niche product they would promote lockhard instead.

It would be like sony promoting the ps4 pro instead of the base console. Ps4 was their main stay or flagship console, the pro was sold as a niche product for core consumers.

Hope i explain it right

Well the XB1X had a high enough price tag, with the S being the low priced standard model.

If the Series X really is 12TF RDNA2 with RT + Zen CPU + 16GB RAM + SSD, it ain't going to be cheap.

If Lockhart isn't real, or at least isn't day 1, then I could see the X being cheaper but if they are both there day 1, the X could be priced high to cover the cutting edge tech inside the box.

Also Microsoft doesn't seem too concerned about selling the most hardware these days and more concerned about selling their services (Game Pass subscriptions + XBL) with X Cloud Streaming, bringing their games and services to PC as well, Xbox has become more of a service than just one box.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is that one JP guy is the only one who said anything about PS5 Pro. No one else.

There would have been more than one person.

ArabianPrynce

Jun 1, 2019
Well the XB1X had a high enough price tag, with the S being the low priced standard model.

If the Series X really is 12TF RDNA2 with RT + Zen CPU + 16GB RAM + SSD, it ain't going to be cheap.

If Lockhart isn't real, or at least isn't day 1, then I could see the X being cheaper but if they are both there day 1, the X could be priced high to cover the cutting edge tech inside the box.

Also Microsoft doesn't seem too concerned about selling the most hardware these days and more concerned about selling their services (Game Pass subscriptions + XBL) with X Cloud Streaming, bringing their games and services to PC as well, Xbox has become more of a service than just one box.

Whats stopping from sony doing the same thing? There was an article talking about how profitable psn was, not to mention all the new services they are going to be doing when the ps5 launches. In fact jim ryan himself mentioned that next gen is going to be about content and services. I think sony can subsidize the launch of the ps5

I highly doubt Sony had any say other than maybe giving their okay in Godfall dropping a trailer.

Then why did they give okay? First video of your next-gen console game is pretty huge, one can assume that it should be as perfect as possible. Hellblade delivered, while Godfall - again in my humble opinion - didn't. I mean I was more excited for Deep Down at PS4 reveal than for this... looter.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Having a cheaper console doesnt mean making your premium console absurdly expensive, look at what happened to the ps3. MS promoting their xsx as their FLAGSHIP cosole, meaning this one thats going to be their next gen console that they want a large number of consumers to buy. If this was a niche product they would promote lockhard instead.

It would be like sony promoting the ps4 pro instead of the base console. Ps4 was their main stay or flagship console, the pro was sold as a niche product for core consumers.

Hope i explain it right

Flagship means it's your high end thing; more rare than your non flagship of anything.

Usually used for retailers to describe their biggest / most elaborate location. (Microsoft's flagship Ms Store I believe is the one in Seattle's U-Village for instance, their mall kiosks on the other hand are more common.)

Earthed

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
That guy is legit so I'm on the PS5 PRO team for a couple weeks now. It just makes sense to release a standard version (399) and a expensive enthusiast version (499-599).
If I'm me (and I am), I'd just wait until I can afford the more expensive box. Anything at or under a 100 dollar difference, and I bet that most people would agree with that sentiment.

Besides, just the notion of launching 2 SKU's so close to one another, in a period of time where the limiting factor will almost undoubtedly be production capacity, makes no sense to me. You want all that production capacity going towards a single box, to be able to keep up with demand.

Earthed

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Then why did they give okay? First video of your next-gen console game is pretty huge, one can assume that it should be as perfect as possible. Hellblade delivered, while Godfall - again in my humble opinion - didn't. I mean I was more excited for Deep Down at PS4 reveal than for this... looter.
Hence why I highly doubt Sony did anything but give their okay.

Anyway, people aren't dumb. Godfall looks amazing for being developed by an indie team, and that will be put into its proper context once the PS5 is officially unveiled and shown beside whatever magic first party Sony studios are cooking up.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Whats stopping from sony doing the same thing? There was an article talking about how profitable psn was, not to mention all the new services they are going to be doing when the ps5 launches. In fact jim ryan himself mentioned that next gen is going to be about content and services. I think sony can subsidize the launch of the ps5

Nothing, Sony could do that too. Even at 9TF, the tech in the PS5 won't be cheap either but being a less powerful box, would likely give them a price advantage.

All speculation though, it could go either way for both Microsoft and Sony, depending on their strategy going into next gen.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
They probably did go with that setup in earlier kits but at one juncture or the other, you have to put together all those parts on a silicon and assemble a proper dev kit (rather than just a PC). I'm speculating APU which we saw earlier (Gonzalo) was an early one using parts available at the time while they waited for bigger NAVI to begin production. IIRC it was clocked at 1.8 GHz, running same configuration as your Ariel GPU, Oberon being a revision of Ariel at higher clock is probably what was in Flute, both of these GPUs house 40CUs with 4 disabled. So multiple renditions of APUs have been existing for a while. Why is it so much of a stretch to think, that there is a newer/bigger APU out there housing more CUs but clocked much lower to achieve their desired targets?

I just think it's weird to design an APU for the dev kit. From my experience, it's more common for iterations of a chip to be related to fixing problems discovered during test, not necessarily major functional changes.

That said, my experience may not translate over.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
And finally this was all made up BS, I'm not a Dev, I'm actually still at college so don't believe anything you see because it is what you want to believe, the key for a good fake leak is to make the person who reads it happy, to be specific in some parts, to link it to some other leaks and to not be too good to be true. If you believed this then let this be a lesson for the next leak you see and believe.
seems legit

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
User Banned (2 weeks): Persistent history of console wars, numerous severe infractions for similar behaviour
Sony gotta be smokin something if they think I am dropping 499 for 9tflops lmao when xsx is going to be more powerful for the same price. Plz dont hit me with xsx is going to be 599, thats not gonna happen lol. Very few ppl are gonna buy that.

With the ps5 coming out, very few people would buy a $499 xbox series x regardless tho.

AGE2019

May 5, 2019
If I'm me (and I am), I'd just wait until I can afford the more expensive box. Anything at or under a 100 dollar difference, and I bet that most people would agree with that sentiment.

Besides, just the notion of launching 2 SKU's so close to one another, in a period of time where the limiting factor will almost undoubtedly be production capacity, makes no sense to me. You want all that production capacity going towards a single box, to be able to keep up with demand.

Agreed.
If there is a PS5 Pro on day 1 it makes sense to cough up the extra money.
Even $200 is negligible when you consider you'll get a superior experience for 6 years straight.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Might be a dumb question, but why doesn't PS4 Pro support 1440p? (looks blurry). I hope native 1440p is an option for PS5.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
What i want to know most in the upcoming PS5 reveal more than the GPU power reveal is what Sonys 'secret sauce' turns out to be, actually hoping that it will be as big as the out of the blue 8GB GDDR5 bombshell we got last time that left developers jaw dropped.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
What i want to know most in the upcoming PS5 reveal more than the GPU power reveal is what Sonys 'secret sauce' turns out to be, actually hoping that it will be as big as the out of the blue 8GB GDDR5 bombshell we got last time that left developers jaw dropped.

Whatever it is, they're leaving it unusually late. Must be big.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I just think it's weird to design an APU for the dev kit. From my experience, it's more common for iterations of a chip to be related to fixing problems discovered during test, not necessarily major functional changes.

That said, my experience may not translate over.

If the Github unit was using a discrete GPU and CPU is it within the realm of possibility that AMD configured it to be read as an APU by the software for compatibility purposes when developing the games? Would that even be needed if it were discrete components?

Status
Not open for further replies.