• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Did people here discuss the PS5 3D audio? Is it just ray traced audio? If so, can we expect future graphics card on PC to support it as well?

I find this very intriguing

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Given how upset people seem to be getting when Klee is questioned, I can't imagine the reaction being much better if Matt is disagreed with or questioned.
Considering the only statement I've made on the realative power between the two system is that I would expect the SX to come out ahead, I would be surprised if the same people questioned them.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
This makes no sense, do you mean you will wait for the PS5 Pro? Its not like it will get more powerful. Or are you simply waiting for it to drop to 299?

Yeah I forgot to say because I have to choose a new GPU or console this year. So I will see if Ps5 is worth it. I can't enjoy my 144Hz monitor with my current R9 280X.
SO yeah probably waiting for a drop or even more a Pro after 3 years if I get a good GPU

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Most probably 56/52 design. hmqgg is probably talking about the devkit will all CUs enabled. When he said it matches, I think he is talking about the clocks. He never confirmed both will have the same number of tflops.

56CUs (total) make perfectly sense because it's the 5700XT design with just another row of WGP added on each sides of the butterfly.

So it must be around 1.8ghz frequency actually to get 12tf with 52CUs.

'so 11.3TF?

not 60/56 or even 64/56? 56 @1700 is giving people 12TF. Or maybe 52CU at 1800?

ppn7

May 4, 2019
Did people here discuss the PS5 3D audio? Is it just ray traced audio? If so, can we expect future graphics card on PC to support it as well?

Same here. I don't know if you will enjoy it will all type of headsets ? If it's only a software enhancement like 7.1 virtual surround. BECause if it's about hardware I suppose you will need to buy a specific device to use 3D audio.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France

Well it's a standalone chip.
Developers can likely use RT (GPU) to better inform the dedicated audio chip.

What I am curious about:
Is the 3D Audio chip the same secondary ARM CPU that does async download/install operations, video capture, as well as (potentially) SSD read-optimizations etc.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Yeah hopefully someone can explain the difference between 3D audio and what we have already now with Dolby Atmos on the Xbox One X and PC? Positional accuracy perhaps? Or a more automated and hardware accelerated engine for developers to use?

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
I think the 3D audio will shine the most in VR applications. But It's really exciting to see how it will be implemented in normal games as well.

Aug 26, 2019
Something I was thinking about. Cerny said he was doing the first Wired interview to get ahead of potential leaks as a result of the devkits they were about to send out. Is it possible that, in order to get ahead of the spec leaks that are likely to happen at CES (if we go by 2013), Sony might choose to surprise drop the PS5 spec list at CES, along with confirming the PS Meeting in February?
This seems pretty logical tbh

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah hopefully someone can explain the difference between 3D audio and what we have already now with Dolby Atmos on the Xbox One X and PC? Positional accuracy perhaps? Or a more automated and hardware accelerated engine for developers to use?

No clue because I never used Dolby (I always use headphones) but you can check it out yourself, this is just one example:

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Most probably 56/52 design. hmqgg is probably talking about the devkit will all CUs enabled. When he said it matches, I think he is talking about the clocks. He never confirmed both will have the same number of tflops.

56CUs (total) make perfectly sense because it's the 5700XT design with just another row of WGP added on each sides of the butterfly.

So it must be around 1.8ghz frequency actually to get 12tf with 52CUs.
In the Github doc, every benchmarked data regarding the CU count was referring to active CUs so at least the Github leak probably refers to 56 active CUs (unless that refers to the dev kit).

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
We have limited context of what the 3D audio thingy that Cerny described in the first WIRED article brings to the table in terms of... next-gen stuff.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
I wonder how the RT implementation will cost to MS and Sony.
I mean if we don't get that RT stuff, we could have had a better GPU with more CU.

I hope RT will help devs to make their work easier. Because we will not get something like 2080ti level of RT

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Alan Watts who had the "dreams" quote in the Xbox Series X reveal trailer was born on January 6th.

ENc-GYVWoAEe4es

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Considering the only statement I've made on the realative power between the two system is that I would expect the SX to come out ahead, I would be surprised if the same people questioned them.

I had no idea what you had hinted at myself. I just assumed based on the reactions of those "defending Klee's honour" against anyone who disagreed, I guessed a similar reaction against anyone who disagreed with or questioned you.

I haven't kept a close enough eye on the thread to know. It's the crazy and unrealistic stuff that immediately stands out to me.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Bluetooth 5 should allow us to finally use bluetooth peripherals on top of the controllers due to bandwidth increases.

Wifi version 802.11ax is on the horizon too. Which allows for even faster speeds and lower latency. If Sony puts 802.11ay spec into ps5 it could hint at psvr2 being wireless. As that wifi specification is to deliver even lower latency than 802.11ax but with similar speeds.
Legit one of my main hopes with PS5 is that we can use Bluetooth headphones with the console, no proprietary wireless headsets or dongles required. With the 3D sound chip it means proper binaural surround sound on whatever pair of headphones you have, and I'd like to invest in a good pair like XM3s but they're not worth it if I can't do my gaming and moving watching with them via my console.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Because Microsoft clearly had budgeted for 2?

So do people think Sony budgeted the R&D for the 2019 PS5 and just...scrapped it for the 2020 one? I don't understand.

Who says that 2019 was Sony's goal? Jason Schreier wrote a great piece on April of 2018 where he spoke with numerous devs and the conclusion was that PS5 was still a ways off because nobody have seen or heard about the dev kit. He also mentioned of hearing rumors of 2020. I didn't mean to single you out it's just a narrative that i keep hearing every day from numerous members in this thread.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Who says that 2019 was Sony's goal? Jason Schreier wrote a great piece on April of 2018 where he spoke with numerous devs and the conclusion was that PS5 was still a ways off because nobody have seen or heard about the dev kit. He also mentioned of hearing rumors of 2020. I didn't mean to single you out it's just a narrative that i keep hearing every day from numerous members in this thread.
Not sure how accurate your take is tbh. Devs had kits my guy, thats why we had Andrew Reiner Post at E3. Besides this both Matt and Kleegamefan have acknowledged that there indeed was a 2019 PS5 launch plan. PS5 kits had likely been out for some time. Realize both of these kits would have most likely been equivalent PC-parts.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Not really surprising, but I thought we weren't supposed to post this guys stuff.

Come on people with the secret police stuff. I didn't post "this guy's stuff", rather an image link found on Twitter with a semi reasonable looking AMD CES agenda that may or may not be legit that did not reference consoles or anything in it. We get any number of crap posts in this thread with crazy speculation and other garbage way beyond this simple press conference agenda.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First off, it was a simple retweet of someone else. And secondly what part of the AMD CES press conference agenda image do you take issue with rather than just blanket hating on someone on Twitter.

I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong. But that does not look professional enough to be an actual AMD agenda.

More importantly, if the source is that crazy dude, regardless of whether it's a retweet - it's almost certainly going go be made up or otherwise misrepresented.

Status
Not open for further replies.