• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomcoleman545

Jan 3, 2020
Proberly already been asked but this 12TF for the series x are we talking GCN TF which would put the RDNA version at the PS5 rumored spec?.

I know TF dosent really mean what it did before but if phil is on record saying 2X the xbox one X then a RDNA 12TF would be like 15TF of GCN?. Really love but hate this run up to next gen with all the crap that fly's around.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
Proberly already been asked but this 12TF for the series x are we talking GCN TF which would put the RDNA version at the PS5 rumored spec?.

I know TF dosent really mean what it did before but if phil is on record saying 2X the xbox one X then a RDNA 12TF would be like 15TF of GCN?. Really love but hate this run up to next gen with all the crap that fly's around.

A teraflop is a teraflop.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Current rumors peg XSX at 12 TF and PS5 somewhere below that.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Not if it's used as a general gauge of overall prowess between gpus of different generational spec.

Then it's a useful shorthand for something very different and can have an approximate weight applied to estimate real world results all other aspects (CPU, Memory Bandwidth etc being equal)

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland

Indeed, a teraflop is a teraflop, but a 12 teraflop RDNA box will still be get better results in games than a 12 teraflop GCN box.

More graphical features, higher framerates. Or something like that.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Shadows and reflections being offloaded onto the ray tracing cores will free up a nice amount of performance from the 'regular' gpu right?

Presuming AMD's ray tracing patents are indicative of the most likely approaches? No. Both conventional geometry processing and shading and ray tracing require tons of floating point math at reasonable precision, and having that much raw computational capability consumes die space. Rather than dividing the GPU into ray traced and conventional shader cores, having a shared set of computational fundamentals and then offering multiple ways of using that resource makes a great deal of sense.

Games that do a ton of ray tracing will almost certainly do so at the expense of conventional GPU tasks and vice versa.

As is always the case in engineering, both hardware and software, it's a matter of determining what compromise you're willing to make to achieve the results you think are most important. Developers are going to start the generation by brute-forcing some things they've never been able to do before, but they'll learn their way into more subtle and sophisticated ways of getting similar results more efficiently. That's why things always get more interesting a few years into a console generation. This one may get more of a running start than usual, but where there are major changes in architecture (ray tracing, SSD) we'll see the same kind of learning curve.

Hana-Bi

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Not if it's used as a general gauge of overall prowess between gpus of different generational spec.

Then it's a useful shorthand for something very different and can have an approximate weight applied to estimate real world results all other aspects (CPU, Memory Bandwidth etc being equal)
Phil said twice the power and not twice the performance.

Power means twice the tf so it'll be 12tf RDNA.

renx

Jan 3, 2020
Thanks to mods/admins for approving my account and for the warm welcome!

I've been a long time lurker to the point that I feel like I know many of you.
And now this is the thread that particularly motivates me to give a couple of personal thoughts.

Talking about PS5/Oberon:
It's really hard for me to believe that they would include 36CUs @2000Mhz inside of an APU.
That would be a 5700, plus boost, plus 250Mhz.
It's really suspicious, and it should raise more than a few eyebrows.

The test is real, for sure. But what I think is that we're seeing a cut down to 36CUs test in all three modes (Gen0, Gen1, and Gen2),
in which they're pushing from both BK modes, up to the extreme (2Ghz) for test purposes.

In my humble opinion, they have a wider (probably 52 active CUs) chip, @1600Mhz or close, and we are seeing part of the equation in these leaks.

Well, happy new year to everyone.

Jun 23, 2019

And now and this is the thread that particularly motivates me to give a couple of personal thoughts.

It's really hard for me to believe that they would include 36CUs @2000Mhz inside of an APU.
It's really suspicious, and it should rise more than a few eyebrows.

The test is real, for sure. But what I think is that we're seeing a cut down to 36CUs test in all three modes (Gen0, Gen1, and Gen2),
in which they're pushing from both BK modes, up to the extreme (2Ghz) for test purposes.

In my humble opinion, they have a wider (probably 52 active CUs) chip, @1600Mhz or close, and we are seeing part of the equation in these leaks.

Reasonable take. It's odd so many people took 9.2TF as gospel and didn't sprinkle with a dash of salt. Can't wait for them to unveil details hopefully next month.

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo

And now this is the thread that particularly motivates me to give a couple of personal thoughts.

Good post.

Welcome to Era and Happy New Year

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I don't know if you guys noticed it or maybe it has already been discussed, back in 2018 Godfall(PS5 launch title) was initally planned to release in 2019. Maybe Sony's plan was to release PS5 in 2019 but they decided to delay PS5 release for 1 year to get better/stronger GPU to better match next Xbox. Just a thought...

"Its new game is a fantasy third-person online action title called Godfall, which Lee says gets many team members back to their roots of working on larger projects, such as when he worked on the Diablo and Ratchet & Clank series prior to starting Counterplay. The team plans to release the game in 2019. "

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Welcome to Era, friend :). Agreed. At one point in 2012, there was talk of Sony using two 6770s in SLI (both 10CU parts) in their dev kits only to release the PS4 with a more powerful 7970 derived GPU with 18CUs..
I'm sure we're not seeing the full picture here...
Most logical guess always seems to a point to a 52CU GPU and it uses 36CU for Backwards Compatibility mode with a PS5 type Boost Mode at a higher clock than the Pro.

Last edited:
Kleegamefan - Next Generation Console Information V4
OP
OP
Mecha Meister

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Kleegamefan is a member who has industry roots, and has been verified by ZhugeEX and Hect.

The information they have revealed cannot be verified, but I've decided to make this post to house the information regarding the next generation consoles that Kleegamefan has come across.

It would be wise to exercise caution regarding the information they have revealed in this thread until things have been confirmed, however Kleegamefan appears to be a person who strongly values their credibility.

Perhaps try to take the information with an open mind, and please refrain from being hostile towards them. It's okay to question the validity of the information but keep in mind that they can't really prove any of this stuff as it could get themselves and their sources in trouble, which we don't want to do at all.

Kleegamefan has said some fascinating things that I think people will be interested in reading about, so I have quoted some of their posts below:

I will update this post with new information from Kleegamefan. (There has been no new information added since OT8, other than the verifications from ZhugeEX and Hect.

Keep in mind that plans can change during the development of consoles, he is just revealing what he knows at that point in time.

There may be some double spaces in some of his posts as a result of copying this into a word processor and back onto the forum, sorry.

The way it was explained to me, and keep in mind this is third hand information, PlayStation 4 BC was always planned but the software engineering needed to get this right took a lot longer than expected.

My personal INTERPRETATION is that SIE planned for their customers to easily migrate from base PS4 platform to future PS platforms (including PRO).

This is during the planning stage before PlayStation 4 launch.

After PS4 launch came the actual development and implementation stage (for BC)and this stage took longer than expected, hence the now late 2020 launch.

So the magic question I have is: once Sony committed to delay the product, did they exploit this extra time to perform any meaningful architectural design changes?

The answer to that question is what I really want to know :(

Wanted to answer some general questions about what I saw.

Game was not shown behind closed doors at e3

Really early

Running on PS5

I didn't see Scarlett so I can't directly compare

Framerate wasn't always smooth....seemed to be in the 20-30fps range

Open world and the scope was unbelievable. Never seen anything like it...far beyond Witcher/BOTW/HZD

Even so, close up details were beyond anything I have seen before

Ray Traced reflections....looks really impressive

Dynamic destructable environments...this game is just WTF

When I asked him about the SSD, he got visably nervous. Didn't want to talk about it at all.

As good as it looks, I get the feeling this isn't a launch game, really early.

That's all I can think of for now.. I should be able to get more information when I go back in October. I will see if I can share anything else at that time.

World detail of The Order 1886+miles long draw distance+fully dynamic world destruction + Ray Traced reflections.

It didn't look very polished like those nVidia/Unreal/Unity demos but at the same time beyond and I could imagine running on an Xbox One X or Pro

So yeah, not like a current game, but not like a GDC demo either. You would have to see it yourself to understand because I can't quite articulate it properly because I can't compare it to anything else.

Just a quick note to say that we were able to verify the poster above as someone who worked in the industry and would be able to access certain levels of information.

That being said, it's near impossible to verify whether the above description is true or not, so please keep in mind that we can't verify whether all the information in each post is correct, just the details i posted above.

Thank you so very much ZhugeEX. I really appreciate it.

To all.

There is no way I can prove to you whether or not I am full of shit or not. All of this information is from memory.

If you don't believe at all, or prefer to take any "insider talk" as take it or leave it rumor, I fully understand and respect that...how could I not?

That said, my personal integrity is a BIG DEAL to me and there are specific reasons for this....

There was a LOT of drama during the early Gamefan days and, without going into too many details, there were a lot of lies spread about me which followed me throughout my career and ultimately led to me removing myself from the gaming industry, which still pains me to this day, decades later.

And because of that, I can neither lie to myself or others. Credibility is so very important because it can be taken away from you in a blink of an eye...

That said there are 3 things vital to me:

My love of my fellow man/women

My love of games

My integrity

In the end, have no fear of "running me off" because no matter what you say or do to me I will still love you all.

I have been a gamer since 1977

You are my people.

So here is the deal.

I specifically asked about general Teraflop performance about Scarlett and PS5.

He said " from what I know, both final console should have double digits TF."

.....keep in mind, this conversation was in late June, after AMD already outlined 5700 and 5700xt were shipping July 7th.....

So then I specifically said."well that would mean greater performance than the new AMD Navi GPUs right?"

....he nodded his head yes!

Now don't shoot me.....I'm just the relay guy... I am not sure how they can ship that much power in a console form factor/price...

Don't @me

Oh forgot to add...all these crazy graphics were on Unreal Engine

That I don't know.....perhaps it was there own plug-in solution...idk...

A long time friend of mine, who is a developer showed me an early next gen game.

I'm just saying compared to GCN, the RDNA architecture is much more efficient per clock but the downside is it yields lower TF numbers.

People will inevitably look at the final numbers and say "well it's not THAT much better than an Xbox One X" and I'm saying that is the wrong way to look at the TF numbers.

IIRC, launch games for both systems are targeted for Holiday 2020

PS5 and Xbox Scarlett will launch together again.....possibly in the same month like last time.

No, actually I didn't. He played me a video of the demo off a USB drive.

No it was real time. It was an internal studio milestone video.

Look guys I don't know what else to say. I saw some cool stuff that I thought I would share. Yes there's some additional sensitive stuff that I can't share as well. There is no way I can yet prove anything yet without getting my source in trouble. You may view that as convenient,. You may not. No need for any hostility. I don't think I deserve that but whatever.

If I disrupted the conversation in any way,I am very sorry..

I am not a liar though....

Update:

The performance difference between the PS5 and Scarlett Part 1

In terms of performance, they are essentially the same

No, they are not that far apart.

Yeah.

Edit: Don't underestimate Microsoft Next-gen. In my opinion, they will have a very compelling gaming solution with Cloud Gaming and Scarlett along with their new studio acquisitions.

Gotta go to work, I will talk later.

PlayStation 5 backwards compatibility

From what I understand, this is actually a big big deal to them and took years to get right.

Yeah. PlayStation 5 was originally planned to come out next month. The software engineering needed to get BC 101% right was not progressing as fast as they needed.

It is my belief that this is one of (but not the only) reasons Sony delayed PlayStation 5 to holiday 2020.

They made this change in 2017.

Impressions of a Next Generation Game targeting PC and Next Generation Consoles

The demo I saw had the very best real time graphics I've ever seen. And what I mean by that is it looked like a real game you can play.

Not some super polished UE4 or Unity technical demo that you would see at gdc.

To me, there was no mistaking this for a current generation on PC or console.

To be clear, in terms of scope, lighting and environment dynamics, RDR2 or TLOU2 aren't even in the same time zone as this.

and yeah, it kinda was like a Shadowfall moment to me in that it seemed totally different from what I've been used to in the previous generation.

Now granted, Framerate was maybe 25 to 30-ish and it was early, early,early. But I actually said out loud WTF when I first saw it.

Hugely impressive.

One thing I found really interesting was the quality of the shadows. I especially noticed there were some approx 2-3ft high bushes. When they were swaying in the wind they were casting moving shadows with fucking PERFECT detail. No shimmering or stairstepping at all.

And I am talking about a bush with maybe 75-100 branches and 100s of leaves on it!

Casting. Perfect.Fucking. Shadows.

Keep in mind this was just a random, whateverthefuck bush!

Also

The overall picture quality was astoundingly solid....like it used some super duper AA.

The game is full 2160p, but again, has no shimmering whatsoever. Just a really solid resolve to the graphics.

I'm sorry I can't articulate all this better but it's really hard to explain for some reason.

Games and Specs

In the end, I really think that you guys will be way more impressed by the games than the specs.

I was.

The Next Generation game that Klee saw was the biggest open world they had ever seen in terms of scope.

Image Quality

No. It's not quite like CGI, but it way better than current stuff. I so hope that it shows up in a reveal so you can see it.

I've only seen a multiplatform game running on PS5 development hardware. That said, it should look exactly the same on Xbox Scarlett

Yeah. It's in the ballpark of that AC Unity flyover for sure.

The game was running on a Development kit

It was running on Navi-based hardware. So a current for the time PS5 development kit.(June 2019).

The performance difference between the PS5 and Scarlett Part 2

Honestly, and this is the last thing I will say about it, but I think some people are going to be disappointed at how similar PS5 and Scarlett hardware are.

It's my belief ( As in I don't really know) that the biggest division will be Exclusive games, UI and services .

. There are at least two more major revisions coming but I don't know the exact details of what that entails

How this Next Gen game compares to Control on PC with RTX (Ray tracing)

Control doesn't come close

Not much talk of SSD benefits

SSD was transparent enough I didn't notice it.

I will say there was such a huge, huge diverse amount of unique assets that I am guessing it was that way because of the SSD?

I cannot be sure because he absolutely, positively didn't want to talk about the SSD in any way whatsoever.

The performance difference between the PS5 and Scarlett Part 3 - (October 2019) The PS5 is allegedly slightly more powerful than Xbox Scarlet

PlayStation 5 is supposedly slightly more powerful than the Xbox Scarlett.

Slightly.

This is what I was told.

I did not expect this.

Please don't shoot the messenger.

To be fair, Matt predicted Scarlett is more powerful and he is probably more connected than I am, so....

That said, I was told that yes, PS5 is more powerful.

No I can't really elaborate or go into more detail but.....yeah, my friend, who has been making games since the Dreamcast Era, and who is developing software for both Next-gen consoles said PS5 has the edge.

I am about to go to the airport soon. I will talk to you guys later.

New Dev Kits

Well, I had lunch with my friend yesterday.

At any rate, he didn't have much to say, sadly.

He is still slaving away at the game

Just got updated Scarlett dev kits recently and says new PS5 kits are due soon.

He doesn't have the updated Dual Shock 5 yet.

Game is tentatively scheduled to come out on Stadia too! (Personally exited about this)

That makes four platforms so far (PC/Scarlett/PS5/Stadia)

No current generation version planned

He stressed that all the platforms have been easy to develop for, implying they have all the dev kits?

Game still only has a working title and isn't due until 2021

He read my posts on Era which shocked the shit out of me!

I asked him his opinion on how much these next generation consoles will cost and he said he didn't know but he thinks they wont be cheap.

He has not seen a final design of Scarlett or PS5 yet. He expect no one will until next year. I asked him about OX19 and he said "probably not" which makes me sad.

Lastly I asked him which platform is most exciting to him and he said Stadia by a landslide.

That's about all I can think of. Sorry I couldn't get more information....

I tried.

Performance difference between PlayStation 5 and Scarlet (November 2019)

In response to is there a 30% performance difference:

Hell no.

They are virtually the same

They both use Navi-based GPUs and are more powerful and feature rich than a 5700xt

No GCN Teraflop conversion qualifiers needed.

Historically, PlayStation SDKs have more memory but the same performance as retail units. I don't expect Prospero to be any different.

With Microsoft it's a little bit more guesswork. Scorpio SDK was 6.6TF(they had 44 CUs IIRC) but even so, I don't expect major differences there either.

BTW, both APUs have variable rate shading, I don't remember if I mentioned that before. I checked the Threadmark and I didn't see it anywhere

Nah. It's fast, it just seems like Sony's SSD system (hardware /software)might be really, really fast.

That said, don't worry about Scarlett. It's plenty, plenty powerful.

Right now, game performance is better on PS5. I believe that is probably because PS5 development hardware and software are in a more advanced state. I fully expect Scarlett to close that gap once they ship more mature dev kits and software.

Also

It must be said, since software, not hardware, is a traditional Microsoft area of expertise, it's very possible that they could ultimately deliver more advanced DirecX development software in the end allowing games to run better on Scarlett even if the hardware is less capable.

I don't know this to be the case, but the possibility can't be discounted.

There is no double digit performance difference.

Both PS5/Scarlett have double digit performance (I.e. over 10.0TF)

Lockhart

Lockhart is a codename for a rumoured next generation console from Microsoft, its rumoured to be a less powerful alternative to Scarlet, however Microsoft haven't revealed anything other than Scarlet, which they announced at E3 2019. This lead people to believe that it doesn't exist, so discussions about it died down.

Discussions of Lockhart have popped up again, from these discussions, Kleegamefan commented on the matter where he said that he was informed that Lockhart is not a thing.

I was specifically told Lockhart is not a thing.

As in, games are not being made for a lower spec Scarlett.

If Tom or anyone else has some credible information that states otherwise, I'm all ears.

There has been more information about Lockhart from other sources: Kotaku - Sources: Microsoft Is Still Planning A Cheaper, Disc-Less Next-Gen Xbox

This was Kleegamefan's response:

(Matt's post for context)

Two SKUs were a thing, and then they were not a thing, and then they were not not a thing, and then this week.

Honestly Matt, I am as surprised as you are.

I was absolutely told games are not being developed for Lockhart!

Something changed for sure. Time to take the L and eat some crow on this.

I'm going to try to find out more about this, though because something has changed recently.

Potential release window and target platforms for the game Kleegamefan saw:

Next-gen only

PC/Scarlett /PS5/Stadia

Xbox Series X could be 12 TF (NAVI)

*wise fwom your gwave*

OMG where are all the Xbox insider evangelicals to clarify all this

NO it's not GCN flops

YES it's Navi flops

Xbox Series X performance is actually slightly ABOVE 12(Navi) TFs

Xbox (Anaconda) Series X eats monsters (Scorpio) for breakfast

The GCN architecture is HISTORY, y'all. MS/Sony only talk in terms of RDNA now

Ay Carumba

Now I'm actually leaving for sure.

I will return to talk about Next gen again after the PS5 reveal.

Buh-bye

PlayStation 5 reveal in February?

In February, there I said it.

Possible Xbox Series X GPU Compute Unit Count? (Retail? Dev Kit?)

Post made in response to GPU clock speed calculation

1475MHz x 4096 stream processors x 2 = 12.083 teraflops

Kleegamefan comments on Oberon leak

He says that the specs he is aware of do not match the leak. If Oberon is related to the PlayStation 5, this could suggest that Oberon is an older design of the upcoming console.

Well, can you confirm that what you know of specs do not match the GitHub Oberon leak?
No. They do not match.

Last edited:

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017

I concur with this assessment.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if you guys noticed it or maybe it has already been discussed, back in 2018 Godfall(PS5 launch title) was initally planned to release in 2019. Maybe Sony's plan was to release PS5 in 2019 but they decided to delay PS5 release for 1 year to get better/stronger GPU to better match next Xbox. Just a thought...

"Its new game is a fantasy third-person online action title called Godfall, which Lee says gets many team members back to their roots of working on larger projects, such as when he worked on the Diablo and Ratchet & Clank series prior to starting Counterplay. The team plans to release the game in 2019. "

that could also be explained by the game initially targetting PC first, or perhaps it was even PC and current gen, before shifting to PS5. I mean that article is from September 2018. Even if Sony originally planned for a 2019 launch, they would have changed their plan before that. But I don't think 2019 ever made sense, given the PS4 has been selling so strongly and they had a very strong line up for the system.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017

Isn't 36cu@2000mhz listed as Native as opposed to BCx like the others?
Why would they boost to 2000 or even 1800 if they intend to run it at 1600 for ps5? 1600 is already way above the 800/900 ps4 and pro use. What would that 2x increase give them? I'd bet even 1600 is enough to get old games to whatever fidelity/performance they want.

Dictator (Digital Foundry) - Ray-Traced Global Illumination examples

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Yes, I think the topic pertained to Uncharted 4's Nathan Drake's gameplay model rendering (IIRC).

Thank you for the detailed breakdown. By the sound of it, Metro 2033 with RT enabled should have some of the finest looking NPCs during actual gameplay.
They are probably not "the best" since the models themselves have that massive subjective quality to them. But they definitely do not lose as much of their splendor in shadow / in gameplay due to the RT GI. Here some screens:

Voxel Probe GI
1cikd9.jpg

RT GI
28ektt.jpg

Voxel Probe GI
3fljtz.jpg

RT GI
4drkz8.jpg

If you notice, the skin is evently lit with the Voxel Probe GI. It essentially glows in shadow and lacks much of the depth - also none of the sub-surface scattering is showing.

RT GI on the other hand has 1/multiple directions of light hitting the face, and multiple shadows... not just directionless AO and directionless probes which just wrap "light" around the head.

If someone posted that picture of Drake in Gameplay, in a scene where there is only indirect lighting in shadow, it looks very much the same.
Mrait1.png

Notice how the light on drake in the above on the right wraps around and is monotone... it glows just like the Voxel Probe GI in metro :D
So for next gen the questions are:

1. Can RT be used for GI solution instead of how it has been conventionally advertised- reflective surfaces.
2. If it proves too expensive, are there any conventional solutions to alleviate this issue (because it sounds a lot of like brute forcing some aspects of it like much higher resolution shadowmaps, might be a pyrrhic victory).
1. I guess it depends how good AMD's RT solution is with very divergent rays, which is what RT GI is. It is more expensive on average than reflections on Turing. It also seems to benefit the most from Turings split int32/fp32 performance.
2. If too expensive even RT reflections with a low roughness cut off help a lot to make models in shadows have a much more accurate specular response, it would help prevent the specular glow you seen in shadows, but the diffuse would still be wrong. If you go back to my BF V RT Reflections video, I show a scene on a beach with SSR + Probes vs. Probes vs Low Roughness Cutoff RT Reflections and all that wierd in-shadow glow is eliminated in the RT reflections.
bfv_pc_v1_h264.mp4_sn3bkmx.jpg

Even if RT GI is too expensive, RT AO helps a lot - or perhaps there are less expensive ways to have smaller RT GI like effects in a closer radius around the game cameras that have yet to be invented. The indirect diffuse lighting from Control is a localised form of GI that works pretty well and helps a lot for in-shadow objects. Cheaper than the RT GI in metro as well.

Last edited:

L33

Dec 20, 2019
Presuming AMD's ray tracing patents are indicative of the most likely approaches? No. Both conventional geometry processing and shading and ray tracing require tons of floating point math at reasonable precision, and having that much raw computational capability consumes die space. Rather than dividing the GPU into ray traced and conventional shader cores, having a shared set of computational fundamentals and then offering multiple ways of using that resource makes a great deal of sense.

Games that do a ton of ray tracing will almost certainly do so at the expense of conventional GPU tasks and vice versa.

As is always the case in engineering, both hardware and software, it's a matter of determining what compromise you're willing to make to achieve the results you think are most important. Developers are going to start the generation by brute-forcing some things they've never been able to do before, but they'll learn their way into more subtle and sophisticated ways of getting similar results more efficiently. That's why things always get more interesting a few years into a console generation. This one may get more of a running start than usual, but where there are major changes in architecture (ray tracing, SSD) we'll see the same kind of learning curve.
That's why the more I think of the ray tracing on a separate chip option would be beneficial, that doing the rt workload, freeing up GPU resources (if it works like that?)

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
I have heard that making 2 36CU GPUs would be cheaper than 1 72CU GPU due to yields, but that's all. Maybe the tech behind using multiple chips has also improved?
Smaller GPUs are cheaper to make than bigger GPUs related to their size. But multi-GPU carries a lot of problems with it. We will get there someday, but it will be multi-chiplets, not multi-chips.
The thing I am worried about is how PS4/XO compability will work when there is whole remasters/rerelease market.
Will there be only 1st party stuff at launch? Will there be patches?
Wil everything work just fine?

I refuse to believe publishers will give up this lucrative market.
We are going into uncharted waters. Just like when DLC had started in 2006 with the 360, we are going to get some free stuff, some expensive horse armor that people don't know how to swallow and weird experiments.

I think that after the smoke clears, we are going to see a lot of games running in BC mode exactly like they did last gen with an option to buy an "enhanced" patch.

Shadows and reflections being offloaded onto the ray tracing cores will free up a nice amount of performance from the 'regular' gpu right?
Shadows offload some work but reflections require heavy shader work so the still strain the shaders. But it depends on AMD's implementation, I'm talking about NV's.

So for next gen the questions are:
1. Can RT be used for GI solution instead of how it has been conventionally advertised- reflective surfaces.
2. If it proves too expensive, are there any conventional solutions to alleviate this issue (because it sounds a lot of like brute forcing some aspects of it like much higher resolution shadowmaps, might be a pyrrhic victory).
1. Yes, RT hardware can help any lighting based calculation, hit detection and visibility checks.
2. If you go high enough in shadow map resolution and amount of shadows on screen, RT shadows actually become cheaper than rasterized shadows. Generally speaking RT shadows aren't that expensive.

Last edited:

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Where do you think both will land?

Not sure myself.

Purely based on the more concrete information that's been going around, it appears like we're heading towards 9 and 12

The issue seems to stem from the fact that many have their panties in a twist over that difference despite it not meaning much given the rest of the parts will be borderline the same.

Both of them will be capable of 4K/60 so I'm not sure why it matters like it did last gen where one was capable of 1080 consistently and the other struggled to hit 900.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not sure myself.

Purely based on the more concrete information that's been going around, it appears like we're heading towards 9 and 12

The issue seems to stem from the fact that many have their panties in a twist over that difference despite it not meaning much given the rest of the parts will be borderline the same.

Both of them will be capable of 4K/60 so I'm not sure why it matters like it did last gen where one was capable of 1080 consistently and the other struggled to hit 900.

Two Xbox Sku's existing basically confirmed (for me) that Xbox will have one box that will be pricey and be the spec leader.

Both consoles will be good and it's not going to matter sales wise which console has the better specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.