• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Dual gpus in an apu is not happening!

IF the PS5 exceeds ~9TF it will be because it has more than 36CU and CU deactivation is taking place for BC modes.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely agree. When I first witnessed HDR/DV with movies, I was floored. So excited to experience the 3D audio they will have too. I had a beginners Atmos set up at home and visited Dolby cinemas for almost every movie I saw and I think that viewing experience has not been topped yet.
Yeah. 3D audio is going to be amazing.
Regarding the V shaped design, how much heat would the PSU really generate? Could the PSU be on one side and APU on the other?
I think there are heat sink fins on both sides, and the PSU may be outside and the GPU in the center.
Bit random but could the game Klee has spoken about be this LotR Gollum game?
he has said its a completely new IP, so I take that as not some sort of existing Franchise.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
dual GPU navi isnt even possible this gen, for cost reasons and Crossfire is dead from what I've read.

I'm still particular towards the low powered GPU co-processor patent though, although forget about it adding anything to the teraflop counts or whatever. It's more of an advanced version of the ARM Processor on this gen consoles, but with the added benefit to aid the APU in some tasks as well.

So if you ask me to bet, I'd pick that as something we should look at.

It's certainly possible. It's part of the reason GPUs moved to IF, in fact, and in can be more cost effective from a raw compute standpoint. AFR has microstutter and tearing issues, but Split Frame Rendering could address some of that.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. 3D audio is going to be amazing.
I think there are heat sink fins on both sides, and the PSU may be outside and the GPU in the center.
he has said its a completely new IP, so I take that as not some sort of existing Franchise.

Ahh, I wasnt aware it was a new IP, only knew it was a next gen only, open world multiplatform game.

New gen and new IPs. Exciting year ahead for us all.

Deleted member 10193

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's fully expected of Xbox Series X to retain 4K Blu-ray drive, as there is no reason to downgrade. PS5 - it remains to be seen.

Also remember the difference in the game installing methods, they differ between Xbox and PlayStation.
I'm guessing SSDs are going to help then, hopefully they will optimise the packages. Copying from disc is frustratingly slow.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
There's also that checkerboard thing in the nvidia drivers, though maybe that's patented?
AMD could do the same, but Nvidia's method sounds more inter-GPU bandwidth dependent because they can't take advantage of nearest neighbor approximations or spatial locality on a single GPU. It seems the least likely to result in artifacting or tearing, though.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I can feel slow build-up hype towards next gen consoles. Cant wait for some leaked gameplay videos and next gen console events/leaks soon because well we're 10months away from ps5/xbox sex. Exciting stuff ahead of us😁

Indie

Oct 30, 2017
Next Title should be - Flop, Collaborate and Listen (Next Gen is back with a brand new invention)

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Colbert : for what I know Intel still don't deliver Thunderbolt certification for non-Intel platform. Also TB3 would require full speed PCI-E lines, and it's a protocol useful for low-latency, daisy chaining and to transport AV signal independently of datas. Controllers aren't cheap as USB. A full speed 5/10Gbs USB3.1 seems enough in a console for datas management when you have a good internal and external drive.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Ahh, I wasnt aware it was a new IP, only knew it was a next gen only, open world multiplatform game.

New gen and new IPs. Exciting year ahead for us all.
I don't think he said it would be ready for launch.

I think it's fully expected of Xbox Series X to retain 4K Blu-ray drive, as there is no reason to downgrade. PS5 - it remains to be seen.

Also remember the difference in the game installing methods, they differ between Xbox and PlayStation.
www.wired.com

Exclusive: A Deeper Look at the PlayStation 5

Now that the name is official, we've got more details about Sony's next-gen console—from the haptics-packed controller to UI improvements.

..physical games for the PS5 will use 100-GB optical disks, inserted into an optical drive that doubles as a 4K Blu-ray player.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Colbert : for what I know Intel still don't deliver Thunderbolt certification for non-Intel platform. Also TB3 would require full speed PCI-E lines, and it's a protocol useful for low-latency, daisy chaining and to transport AV signal independently of datas. Controllers aren't cheap as USB. A full speed 5/10Gbs USB3.1 seems enough in a console for datas management when you have a good internal and external drive.
probably because usb4 will be when amd finally gets thunderbolt, since it's part of the spec and all

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if it is also a reference to Jim Ryan's "fastest transition". So many people take that to mean price point - I leave that door open to different interpretation given what has been said about hardware.

Yeah, I would really like Ryan to elaborate a bit on that quote. I guess we'll have to wait a little bit more for that though. :)

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
It's certainly possible. It's part of the reason GPUs moved to IF, in fact, and in can be more cost effective from a raw compute standpoint. AFR has microstutter and tearing issues, but Split Frame Rendering could address some of that.

If there is one environment where dual GPUs could work is in a closed, single configuration, purpose-built API one like consoles.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Are we discussing dual GPU because:

1.) someone posted a 1400 MHz GPU with a similar CPU as Flute and people imagine 2x?
2.) we hare having a hard time with perceived GPU power disparity?
3.) Mark Cerny's PS4 Pro "Butterfly" comment?
4.) Ariel and Oberon are distinct names for PS5 GPU?
5.) ???

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Were you as annoyed by this vague but obvious snap, and would you call it spineless as well?

In the context of approaches. I said:
2) One is based on a believe system about what you have read by certain sources outside the platform holders. I don't list names here as that always distracts from the topic at hand. Those infos are not explained and the source is unclear. It is a matter of believing instead of knowing. The info behind it is not visible to everyone. ]
You may read again. It is not about persons, it is about how the information is given.
Wouldn't you agree that it is a believe system (or trust system) if you take somebodies word as true without be able to check the information?
It is also always nice to see how subtle insults can be. Like yours. But I its more funny than bothering

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
On the (Oh so predictable) visuals side of things, y'all reckon, that we may finally go from this:

IftOJ2i.jpg

3PEp16b.jpg

to this:

Jj0SAyA.jpg

Or from this:

cz7fnsI.jpg

To this:

PyqWsIy.jpg

In real time? (i.e. implementation of and higher precision SSS, higher quality and more nuanced shadow maps like seen during "in-engine" cutscenes")

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
ZhugeEx describes a "smooth transition" into Next Gen

It does make you wonder if we really will get the "hard" change that you normally get. Microsoft talked long ago about wanting to make games that are forwards compatible. I wonder if the software is going to sit in a grey area between gens on both machines.
Having BC for last gen machines is essential to both manufactuers, as they rake in the cash from fortnite and Apex and whatnot by basically having to do nothing, so they really don't want to lose those whales

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
On the (Oh so predictable) visuals side of things, y'all reckon, that we may finally go from this:

IftOJ2i.jpg

3PEp16b.jpg

to this:

Jj0SAyA.jpg

Or from this:

cz7fnsI.jpg

To this:

PyqWsIy.jpg

In real time? (i.e. implementation of and higher precision SSS, higher quality and more nuanced shadow maps like seen during "in-engine" cutscenes")

Aren't Gears5 cutscenes mostly all realtime?
You'll have the same thing again, the cinematic models will always be higher quality. I'd argue that if the character only occupies such a tiny area on screen as what you showed in the first example, then it would quite frankly be wasteful to have it at the same quality.
Especially if you are going to continue aping movies by avoiding high framerate cutscenes.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, probably the smoothest transition ever.
Digiital store, F2P titles and enchanced backlog should be there day 1, so even if launch line up sucks, you aren't screwed like in the past.
exactly
It does make you wonder if we really will get the "hard" change that you normally get. Microsoft talked long ago about wanting to make games that are forwards compatible. I wonder if the software is going to sit in a grey area between gens on both machines.
Having BC for last gen machines is essential to both manufactuers, as they rake in the cash from fortnite and Apex and whatnot by basically having to do nothing, so they really don't want to lose those whales
For sure they do not want to lose that $$$. I think there is room for everyone under the umbrella. Some studios will push the bleeding edge, others will focus on content, service and recurring revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.