• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
They wouldn't have to give a full spec breakdown. Just a taste until the PS Meeting. They could even focus in on specific parts of the machine like the sound chip, for example.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
I have my doubts on backwards compatibility beyond PS4. If Sony tries to do what they did this gen with rereleases I know the list will be incredibly paltry (and it's not their fault I know, but a hardware solution for PSx games should be at least present).

Oct 28, 2017
The teaser for "see the future" was published on January 31st 2013. The event followed three weeks later.

Hope we see a teaser soon for this year's meeting.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I have my doubts on backwards compatibility beyond PS4. If Sony tries to do what they did this gen with rereleases I know the list will be incredibly paltry (and it's not their fault I know, but a hardware solution for PSx games should be at least present).
I think this gen has shown there will be a market for remakes and remasters even when a BC option exists. Even a slight update to graphics or controls can generate new sales.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Who's fault is it then?
There's a lot of things that prevent games from getting a rerelease, heck even with the Xbox One BC program, there's a lot of titles that may never get repackaged to run on Xbox One and beyond. That's 'cause those devs and publishers are long gone and those licenses may never be renegotiated (or whatever needs to be done.)

That, and well, Sony insists on having trophy support for all PS4 titles. For what purpose, I do not know, but not every dev is going to put resources into getting that done.

I think this gen has shown there will be a market for remakes and remasters even when a BC option exists. Even a slight update to graphics or controls can generate new sales.

Which is fine! I am happy with what I can get, but some of those PSx/PS2/PS3 games will never get releases. Just ensuring hardware PSx support (disc-based) is enough to add hundreds of titles to the PS5 library.

But of course, who wants to play those old games? Me only apparently ;_;

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
lol i was about to say. i somehow ended up on TimDog's twitter page (dont ask how) and found two things. 1) he has 16k followers. 2) there are some very respectable posters in this thread that follow and/or interact with him.

this guy is literally one of the worst fanboys ive ever seen. i cant imagine how and why anyone would reply or interact with him. this is the guy you ignore. not follow.
Another proof of the decline of this world. From sport to politics to console fanboys... We had Chad Warden back in 2007

tenor.gif

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
Are we not expecting a xbox event before E3? That would seem kind of disappointing if it didnt occur.

The way they revealed their console was rather underwhelming if you ask me. A quick trailer, one game/exclusive, no gameplay, no specs. And then you moved on to the next announcement which had nothing to do with the console.

So it would he cool if they had a proper unveiling event before E3. If Sony announce PS5 in February and have lots of games and gameplay shown I feel it would capture a lot of mindshare and talk leading up to E3.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hmmm.... weren't they insiders way back?
Seems like half of gaf was an "insider" at one point lol. That's why I don't blame people for being skeptical here. I can't even count how many people got called out on their lies and fake connections. Devs had to come and call people out. People that post here too. If I recall correctly, CBOAT did call a few leaks right. I have no right to believe anyone here is a liar until they're wrong. Even then they could just of been fed wrong info. Hard to believe anyone online or trust anyone though. They're just a name with an avatar. Nobody really knows anyone.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
So couldn't it be possible that PS5 is like 9ish RDNA and still be more powerful than Stadia like Schreier said?

I just have a gut feeling that a lot of the confusion between some insiders comes down to what a teraflop and whether or not it's RDNA or GCN.

That is a possibility, but I'm afraid I wouldn't know; my hardware-fu dates back to when the Geforce 6800XT was amazing :P

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
So couldn't it be possible that PS5 is like 9ish RDNA and still be more powerful than Stadia like Schreier said?

I just have a gut feeling that a lot of the confusion between some insiders comes down to what a teraflop and whether or not it's RDNA or GCN.
If I'm remembering right Jason said they were aiming to beat Stadia's numbers, not Stadia's performance. Also Klee's 10tf+ number was specified to be RDNA.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
After reading news about ampere my hype for next gen consoles is little down. Not sure if it's a good idea to skip these and wait for pro sku later in 2023?
Those exclusives will still be there, waiting for you in ~2023.
People will get hyped for ps1-3 BC then realize that most games from those gens wouldn't be available. I'd love to play Thrasher Skate and Destroy but no way in hell are those licenses still valid. I'd be surprised if many 1st party sony titles don't have lapsed licensing agreements.

Oct 25, 2017

Well, they are saying both consoles will be on par. I don't think there is anything confusing about that.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Those exclusives will still be there, waiting for you in ~2023.

People will get hyped for ps1-3 BC then realize that most games from those gens wouldn't be available. I'd love to play Thrasher Skate and Destroy but no way in hell are those licenses still valid. I'd be surprised if many 1st party sony titles don't have lapsed licensing agreements.
I have a few dozen PS1 games, few dozen PS2 games and like 50 PS3 physical games + hundreds of digital ones. I'd be happy to have it all available easily to play on one console. But I get your point that not everyone kept their games or were around for those gens.

Oct 28, 2017
I currently have about 30ish PSX games, 100+ PS2 games, 30+ PS3 games. I'd love this to be true. Pop in my copy of legend of dragoon so damn fast! Lol

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what? what kind of logic is this? why cant they go over 36 cus because of BC?

i mean by your logic, they wouldve had to stuck with 18 CUs for the ps4 pro. i mean you cant go over or you lose BC with ps4, no?

of course not. its utterly ridiculous to think you cant just disable CUs when every console this gen has come with disabled CUs.
Of course, they can go over it, but they'd need to use a completely different Navi architecture to get to 48 CUs. I'm going with what's been leaked and confirmed as legit so far. Is there something out there that indicates the 40 CU architecture is wrong or is there just an assumption that it is?

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea

Yep, and assuming the 360/Xbox BC releases resume in 2020, I know I still have a # of games that won't make it as a rerelease...
...well, that is, if they don't try to sell a digital license with it. There's a tiny selection of games that are BC that AFAIK you can't buy, only physical works. Maybe Sony can adopt a similar system? But even then, there's a massive amount of PSx/PS2 games...

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia

'Tera' as a number 1,000,000,000,000. There is no change in what it means between GCN/RDNA/whatever.

Where the difference lies in in how much work you can do with those 1 trillion operations. RDNA is more efficient and can perform more complex operations then GCN per TF.

Based on AMD's numbers, 1 RDNA TF has 1.25x more compute potential than GCN, the easiest thing to do is take the GCN value and divide by 1.25 tp get the power equivalency in TF (i.e. the TF required to do the same job)

So:

Stadia - 10.7G/1.25=8.56R
X1X - 6G/1.25=4.61R
Pro - 4.1G/1.25=3.28R

Make a note of those two mid-gen numbers. If Sony say Ps5 is 3x Pro, we're looking at a 9.n machine, same for MS and the XSX based on their 'twice as powerful' statement.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course, they can go over it, but they'd need to use a completely different Navi architecture to get to 48 CUs. I'm going with what's been leaked and confirmed as legit so far. Is there something out there that indicates the 40 CU architecture is wrong or is there just an assumption that it is?
It doesn't matter what they navi card they go with. The arch is the same. They can disable all the cus they want.

External Community Discussion Note

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
If you want to talk about other external community members then please do so in those communities. Please stop discussing that here, as it just derails the conversation others are trying to have.

Last edited:

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.