• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Yea I agree. It's the simplest way to do it. They still don't have to offer their first party games. They have so many games available already. To me being able to download them will determine its success. Just let people forget about the ps now name lol

Ok... but... you all do know you can download over half the games on PS Now today, right?

Feb 26, 2018

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok... but... you all do know you can download over half the games on PS Now today, right?
I mainly talking about ps3 games and sorry for not clarifying. If they get all those to be downloadable and basically run in "boost mode" I think it will be a killer subscription service. (Correct me if I'm wrong again tho lol)

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
This is no confirmation of anything. They are just telling it like it's some fact lmao without any sources or proof

Xbox ran huge promotion to convert XBL users to XGPU users. Like, folks had multiple years of XBLG that they upgraded to GPU for $1. I genuinely do not doubt they have significant numbers in the multiples of millions on the service.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Come out straight. What do you really think of these followers? You've been dancing around it in a few posts. Go ahead.

I thought I was pretty straight forward about it? He's a lunatic. Anyone following him is incredibly gullible and should be ignored.
I am not aware of any people following this guy on Era - the exception being rbej, who was perma banned.

PrimeRib

Nov 16, 2017
This is no confirmation of anything. They are just telling it like it's some fact lmao without any sources or proof

Phil saying "millions" of subscribers (as of November 2018): https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-game-pass-already-enjoys-millions-subscribers-says-phil-spencer
Phil saying subscribers "doubled" in the last year: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news..._doubled_as_its_library_continues_to_grow.php

EDIT: Worst case, "millions" refers to 1,000,001 users. Doubled growth in a year is fairly solid trajectory to over 2 Million now. It took PS Now service 5 years to crest even a million.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
13 TF is insane when you think about a 2080 Ti is $1000 and the consoles come with a great CPU.
In my humble opinion i think both platform holders are targeting those 12/13 tf as gcn tf, so that would mean around 10 rdna tf if not mistaken, at least if they want to make them affordable and not repeat the ps3 pricing mistakes

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Come out straight. What do you really think of these followers? You've been dancing around it in a few posts. Go ahead.

I think the word nonsense is pretty clear. Not sure why you needed any clarity there. That person should seek true professional help and the people following them shouldn't be far behind.

Oct 25, 2017
Well I take everything as a rumor until we have official info but still. Isn't there no time left to change in HW design?
This would assume the stuff in that leak is "recent". We have very little to no context for that information, so it automatically makes speculation based on it faulty. We can't even be totally sure about what the codenames (Flute, etc...) represent.

With the way things are now, you can form practically any sort of narrative with the info in that leak.

Oct 31, 2017
Possible evidence that points to Xbox Series X and PS5 being, at the very least, close in power

I wanted to put this post out there because if/when opposing information comes out, plenty of folks will invariably go: "who could have seen this coming?" or "this doesn't make sense with what we know." And the answer will be: plenty of folks and it does make sense.

Here's the evidence pointing to PS5 being stronger or at least, close to the Xbox Series X in power. It doesn't really matter which for the purposes of this post, the compilation of possible evidence is more so to push back against this narrative that has taken hold due to recent leaks which has some holding as a final definitive fact a large gap in GPU power (and others bizarrely acting as if a 9-10TF console with an SSD and a good CPU will be $399, which is a whole another take).

Let's arrange it chronologically:
  • Around January and February, there were rumors that the spec sheet for the upcoming Xbox boxes had leaked. Several different folks claimed to post such information and the veracity of the information is hard to nail down. Here is one article by JeuxVideo indicating the possible existence of such a spec sheet and their claim as to its accuracy. The numbers, at least in reference with the official multipliers we have, seem pretty accurate. At least with regards to the TF number and RAM. Source: http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/1006598/projet-scarlet-les-deux-prochaines-xbox-devoilees-a-l-e3-2019.htm
  • Tom Warren tweeted out a rumor that the PS5 dev kits are 13TF, though this is no indication of final target specs. What is interesting to note here is the context the tweet was posted in. Tom Warren mentions that if MS is confident, they might throw out talk like "fastest console on the world." This does not happen and people note a small shift in messaging by MS when E3 rolls around. This messaging is still prevalent today, as MS has not definitively claimed the power crown. The marketing message are qualified ("Fastest. Most Powerful. Xbox") and other PR makes mention of how it is the strongest Xbox they've created and their intention of being the performance leader. Source: https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1137549623172710400
  • Andrew Reiner, shortly before MS E3 2019, states that rumors are that the PS5 is stronger than Project Scarlett. When pressed, he confirms the following: PS5 target specs, his source is multiple developers working on games for both systems, and that the power advantage is due to "teraflops." Source: https://twitter.com/Andrew_Reiner/status/1137833936682274816 and https://twitter.com/Andrew_Reiner/status/1137917601181343745?s=20
  • Arthur Gies tweets out that the Xbox figure that is floating around (12TF) is one he has heard all year, which further lends credence to the idea that there has been no last-minute substantial change in TF output of the Xbox Series X. Source: https://twitter.com/aegies/status/1207696309857030146?s=21
  • Jason Schreier believes a statement with regards to which is more powerful will be difficult and that the advantages for either console will come down to the specific customizations made by Sony and Microsoft. The implication in this post is that it is difficult to state which console is stronger because they are so close in power and as a result, the differences will be highlighted in the specific customizations rather than any notable GPU gap. Source:
    https://www.resetera.com/threads/next-gen-ps5-and-next-xbox-speculation-launch-thread-ot8-the-dark-tower-see-staff-post.159131/page-92#post-27509992
  • Matt has indicated that both will be close in power. He also said that were he to make an assumption, he would assume that Xbox will come out on top. This hints to both being close enough in power for there to be a possibility that either one comes out on top power-wise. Matt has also indicated that the GitHub leak is not a confirmation of anything. Source: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...-see-staff-post.159131/page-351#post-27796911
If you believe these folks, there is a clear through-line here. The Xbox specs have not had a substantial last-minute bump. At some point, PS5 target specs were higher than Xbox target specs. Both consoles are close in power. Either could end up being the most powerful upon release.

Could Xbox turn out stronger than PS5? Of course. Could it be the opposite? Of course. Please don't be shocked/surprised if either of the above turns out to be true. We have already had crazy episodes here when Reiner's tweet came out around E3. And god knows how many other episodes prior to that and since then have occurred.

The insistence on buying into any one narrative as a near fact has warped expectations and perceptions of what these products ultimately will be. It's happened before and it's happening again. There are conclusions to be drawn here given the information presented but I'll leave those conclusions to you. I have my conclusions, which square away most of this information with the recent tests, but I've stated them multiple times before and there's no need to repeat them again for purposes of this post.
Excellent post!

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
My bet. Ps Plus Platinum, includes ps now with the games being downloadable. $14.99 monthly, $6.99 upgrade for existing users and $1.99 for new users first month 🤷‍♂️..

Should be cheaper though. PSNow is 5€ a month now if you buy a year, and PSplus even less with offers. So yearly fee should be less than 120€.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
I see that Klee has graced us with his presence. Can't wait for the bear future.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
He's "concerned" about the people who post about this tweeter. Sounds insensitive to me and could insinuate something else.

I have to admit, I'm not following your logic. Now I'm asking you for clarity because I'm not inferring anything from those posts besides "the twitter profile is full of nonsense and the people following them shouldn't be so gullible" which to me looks like sound advice.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
The Xbox One's fate was sealed long before the launch of the S and the X. It's nearly impossible to change the narrative around a console post launch. Microsoft is probably doing the best job they can currently while pretty much giving up on the current Xboxes by announcing/showing the Series X so early.

Once it's known that the PS5 isn't the most powerful (and more expensive than a next gen Xbox), all Microsoft has to do is deliver the games and they'll own the generation.

PlayStation brand is too strong worldwide. I don't think anyone here expects MS to outsell the PS5, not even MS .

They can have s fighting chance saleswise in NA and the UK, and be successful through gamepass and PC, plus streaming, but they won't outsell them console wise WW

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's "concerned" about the people who post about this tweeter. Sounds insensitive to me and could insinuate something else.

My concern was that people are buying into his nonsense. I'm not insinuating anything other than the fact that he's crazy and the people following him aren't far behind.
That's not insensitive. That's stating the facts about someone who has literally been posting Xbox conspiracy theories for 7 years.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Possible evidence that points to Xbox Series X and PS5 being, at the very least, close in power

I wanted to put this post out there because if/when opposing information comes out, plenty of folks will invariably go: "who could have seen this coming?" or "this doesn't make sense with what we know." And the answer will be: plenty of folks and it does make sense.

Here's the evidence pointing to PS5 being stronger or at least, close to the Xbox Series X in power. It doesn't really matter which for the purposes of this post, the compilation of possible evidence is more so to push back against this narrative that has taken hold due to recent leaks which has some holding as a final definitive fact a large gap in GPU power (and others bizarrely acting as if a 9-10TF console with an SSD and a good CPU will be $399, which is a whole another take).

Let's arrange it chronologically:
  • Around January and February, there were rumors that the spec sheet for the upcoming Xbox boxes had leaked. Several different folks claimed to post such information and the veracity of the information is hard to nail down. Here is one article by JeuxVideo indicating the possible existence of such a spec sheet and their claim as to its accuracy. The numbers, at least in reference with the official multipliers we have, seem pretty accurate. At least with regards to the TF number and RAM. Source: http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/1006598/projet-scarlet-les-deux-prochaines-xbox-devoilees-a-l-e3-2019.htm
  • Tom Warren tweeted out a rumor that the PS5 dev kits are 13TF, though this is no indication of final target specs. What is interesting to note here is the context the tweet was posted in. Tom Warren mentions that if MS is confident, they might throw out talk like "fastest console on the world." This does not happen and people note a small shift in messaging by MS when E3 rolls around. This messaging is still prevalent today, as MS has not definitively claimed the power crown. The marketing message are qualified ("Fastest. Most Powerful. Xbox") and other PR makes mention of how it is the strongest Xbox they've created and their intention of being the performance leader. Source: https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1137549623172710400
  • Andrew Reiner, shortly before MS E3 2019, states that rumors are that the PS5 is stronger than Project Scarlett. When pressed, he confirms the following: PS5 target specs, his source is multiple developers working on games for both systems, and that the power advantage is due to "teraflops." Source: https://twitter.com/Andrew_Reiner/status/1137833936682274816 and https://twitter.com/Andrew_Reiner/status/1137917601181343745?s=20
  • Arthur Gies tweets out that the Xbox figure that is floating around (12TF) is one he has heard all year, which further lends credence to the idea that there has been no last-minute substantial change in TF output of the Xbox Series X. Source: https://twitter.com/aegies/status/1207696309857030146?s=21
  • Jason Schreier believes a statement with regards to which is more powerful will be difficult and that the advantages for either console will come down to the specific customizations made by Sony and Microsoft. The implication in this post is that it is difficult to state which console is stronger because they are so close in power and as a result, the differences will be highlighted in the specific customizations rather than any notable GPU gap. Source:
    https://www.resetera.com/threads/next-gen-ps5-and-next-xbox-speculation-launch-thread-ot8-the-dark-tower-see-staff-post.159131/page-92#post-27509992
  • Matt has indicated that both will be close in power. He also said that were he to make an assumption, he would assume that Xbox will come out on top. This hints to both being close enough in power for there to be a possibility that either one comes out on top power-wise. Matt has also indicated that the GitHub leak is not a confirmation of anything. Source: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...-see-staff-post.159131/page-351#post-27796911
If you believe these folks, there is a clear through-line here. The Xbox specs have not had a substantial last-minute bump. At some point, PS5 target specs were higher than Xbox target specs. Both consoles are close in power. Either could end up being the most powerful upon release.

Could Xbox turn out stronger than PS5? Of course. Could it be the opposite? Of course. Please don't be shocked/surprised if either of the above turns out to be true. We have already had crazy episodes here when Reiner's tweet came out around E3. And god knows how many other episodes prior to that and since then have occurred.

The insistence on buying into any one narrative as a near fact has warped expectations and perceptions of what these products ultimately will be. It's happened before and it's happening again. There are conclusions to be drawn here given the information presented but I'll leave those conclusions to you. I have my conclusions, which square away most of this information with the recent tests, but I've stated them multiple times before and there's no need to repeat them again for purposes of this post.
Very good, well-sourced post. Thanks.

I do want to say, I feel like a lot of people are going to be in for a rude awakening regarding prices. I think $499 is the CHEAPEST PS5 or Series X can be, and that's assuming them taking quite a loss.

PS4 was pretty affordable at $399 in 2013, and even then it was MUCH less competitive with higher-end PCs than PS5 and Series X will be. The only reason I think even think it will be $499 is because I don't believe either of them would be crazy enough to launch a single SKU at $599+. Of course, Series X could be $599 if they launch the Lockhart in the $399 range at the same time.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Very good, well-sourced post. Thanks.

I do want to say, I feel like a lot of people are going to be in for a rude awakening regarding prices. I think $499 is the CHEAPEST PS5 or Series X can be, and that's assuming them taking quite a loss.

PS4 was pretty affordable at $399 in 2013, and even then it was MUCH less competitive with higher-end PCs than PS5 and Series X will be. The only reason I think even think it will be $499 is because I don't believe either of them would be crazy enough to launch a single SKU at $599+. Of course, Series X could be $599 if they launch the Lockhart in the $399 range at the same time.

With the current rumor specs they can't launch loackhart that high .
We can talk all with want about RDNA or GCN but to most of the mass market a flop is a flop.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
We can talk all with want about RDNA or GCN but to most of the mass market a flop is a flop.
Lockhart will have a way better CPU in 2020 than PS4's was in 2013. A way better storage solution in 2020 than PS4's was in 2013. At least a comparable relative quality of GPU (with priorities shifting more towards next-gen visual effects than resolution). In most ways it will be a better 2020 console than PS4 was a 2013 console.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
For the mass market a flop is something you put on your feet when you got to the beach. They have zero idea what it is.

Nvidia strikes back?

Rumor: Nvidia Ampere (RTX 3xxx) 50% faster than current Turing GPUs at half the power consumption
Yeah,i know...but AMD Radeon division can't catch a break,eh?
I'm waiting for my 20TF+ 3080ti. Poor AMD, they really can't catch a break. But it was obvious when the 7nm 5700XT drew almost the same power as a 12nm 2080 ti .

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the mass market is clueless. The amount of customers that say they want to buy the Xbox One All-Digital Edition and then act surprised and decide against it when I tell them it doesn't have a disc-drive tells you everything. What did you think "All-Digital" meant?

Also had a customer get really mad at me when he asked me what the difference is between the Xbox One S and Xbox One X. I told him, "The One X is about 5x more powerful." He said, "That means absolutely nothing to me" so I told him, "in that case, I would save some money and get the One S, since you can play the same games on either." He called me a jerk and walked away.

Lesson is, the mass market doesn't have the slightest clue what a "flop" is, let alone that a "flop is a flop."

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Main thing I'd like PS+ to add is streaming of my digital purchases to Pc/Mac/iPad and to PS4/5 (eg a friends console where I don't want to download 100GB)

And online saves to be shared across all users on a home console. Can't believe that isn't already a thing

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I mainly talking about ps3 games and sorry for not clarifying. If they get all those to be downloadable and basically run in "boost mode" I think it will be a killer subscription service. (Correct me if I'm wrong again tho lol)

The primary differences in Game Pass and PS Now are:

1. The Tiers
PS Now is $9.99/mo or $59.99 per year

Game Pass is 9.99/mo. Game Pass PC is 4.99/mo. Game Pass Ultimate is 14.99 for both combined with Xbox Live Gold.

2. PS Now includes PS4 & PC streaming access in its subscription price today.

Game Pass technically offers a lower barrier to entry for Xbox Gaming on PC. Game Pass requires you to pay more to access PC & Console.

3. PS Now streams every title in its base subscription today.

Game Pass is working to match this feature with XCloud.

4. Game Pass offers pricing that includes downloads on PC.

PS Now will likely not be matching this feature anytime soon.

5. Game Pass promises first party content release parity with physical releases.

PS Now will likely not be matching this feature anytime soon.

6. PS Now offers a much larger library of titles numbering over 800 titles between PS2/PS3/PS4.

Game Pass offers <200 games in subscription.

7. Game Pass offers downloads of every title on any platform it is available.

PS Now only offers PS2/PS4 downloads. These are only available to download on PS4.

8. Game Pass has announced ambitions to bring the service to pretty much any device that can connect to 5G internet.

PS Now has no public promises of expanding availability beyond PS4+ Family & PC devices. (The expansion of Remote Play to iOS & Android devices would seemingly point to PS Now also coming, but no announced plans)

As I made this list I realized I forgot a couple changes I expect to happen over next couple years on the PS side of things:
- PS Now on iOS & Android with streaming access
- PlayStation PC Launcher update to facilitate game downloads on PC for PS Now.

I do not foresee a scenario where any PlayStation Exclusive launches day & date on PC anytime soon barring catastrophic collapse of the next generation for them.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Main thing I'd like PS+ to add is streaming of my digital purchases to Pc/Mac/iPad and to PS4/5 (eg a friends console where I don't want to download 100GB)

And online saves to be shared across all users on a home console. Can't believe that isn't already a thing
Yeah, I really hope that will happen.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
IDK +50% at -50%. Thats a very big jump. And with Nvidia you never know what metric is actually +50%. RT? Tensor? Compute?
2080 ti is only 250W and they are going straight from 12nm to 7nm UVE. Regarding power consumption, I don't really care, but 50% better performance? It makes a lot of sense. When NV went from 28nm to 16nm they've had 100% TF increase from the 980ti to the 1080ti while reducing the die size from 601mm^2 to 471mm^2. So yeah, I'll believe 50%, I'll even believe more than 50%.

There are actually a lot of parallels between the 900 series to the 1000 series transition and 2000 to the 3000 series transition. I don't believe it will be X2 performance again, but it will be significant and even "just" 50% means a ~25TF Titan.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Offsite drama discussion,
It's in fact quite a few people in this very thread interact with this guy and worse types.
lol i was about to say. i somehow ended up on TimDog's twitter page (dont ask how) and found two things. 1) he has 16k followers. 2) there are some very respectable posters in this thread that follow and/or interact with him.

this guy is literally one of the worst fanboys ive ever seen. i cant imagine how and why anyone would reply or interact with him. this is the guy you ignore. not follow.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
lol i was about to say. i somehow ended up on TimDog's twitter page (dont ask how) and found two things. 1) he has 16k followers. 2) there are some very respectable posters in this thread that follow and/or interact with him.

this guy is literally one of the worst fanboys ive ever seen. i cant imagine how and why anyone would reply or interact with him. this is the guy you ignore. not follow.
He's terrible. He's like some of the horrible PS fanboys that I see get made fun of once and then ignored, but for some reason he's gained a following. I don't understand it.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
So how many of you are expecting Lockhart to launch simultaneously with Series X vs launching later?

I'm playing around with various timelines for separate launches and what that does to SKUs / manufacturing / marketing and I'm interested in what you guys think.

Since they haven't spoken about lockhart at all, I'm assuming it wont be out for the Holidays... that's fine since the diehard enthusiast will buy up all the stock regardless. It would be imperative that they get get Lockhart out just in time for the diehard enthusiasts to start being replaced by the more price concious buyers. It would really have to come out in Q1 2021 to avoid losing momentum after the holiday season.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

Yeap, a tragedy in nine OT's

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Aye, is there any reason that I keep seeing Tim Dog and MisterX shit on Era? I purposely avoid these people for a reason, they don't post here and they have jack shit to do with our community. People have been using this crackpot wack-a-doo for stupid ass console war framing for 7 years running. Can we retire him and Tim?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the mass market a flop is something you put on your feet when you got to the beach. They have zero idea what it is.

I'm waiting for my 20TF+ 3080ti. Poor AMD, they really can't catch a break. But it was obvious when the 7nm 5700XT drew almost the same power as a 12nm 2080 ti .
lets wait a few more days and see what amd can do with the big navi cards. they should have a 20 tflops card themselves. its supposed to be 505mm2. the slightly bigger navi should be around 300-350mm2. 60+ CUs. there is no way either card is over 300w.
He's terrible. He's like some of the horrible PS fanboys that I see get made fun of once and then ignored, but for some reason he's gained a following. I don't understand it.
MS execs gave him credibility by meeting with him at E3 and replying to his tweets. iirc, he was the guy aaron greenberg tweeted when he said your tv ouputs at 1080p.

Status
Not open for further replies.