• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Klee!

console warrioring aside, its in all our best interests to have these two close in power. ok, with that out of the way, i'm sure enjoying the twists and turns this story has been taking. if sony pulls out of this 9 TF thing, i', dying to know how!

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
Oh don't worry. I'm still around.

Just lurking in the background allowing people to say things they will regret later.

For now.
giphy.gif

Aug 26, 2019
As far as i can tell people are basing it off someone asking if he still Thinks the series x will be more powerful and he replied still, there is def wiggle room with the word think so yes its possible
Have they said anything that contradicts one another? I don't recall any such instances.
I think there is a possibility that everyone is correct, except for that one site that claimed PS5 is launching in 2018.

Feb 23, 2019
Plus we have a leak from February that has the 4/12TF numbers for Xbox.

And Arthur Geis has also said that the 12TF number is what he's heard all year (pointing to no last minute bump).

It's a pretty even spread, with most of the talk of Series X being stronger coming from folks that are historically associated with Microsoft.

Everything I've heard from a Microsoft insiders does not appear to be definitive. They "think" Scarlett may be more powerful (probably from Microsoft themselves who have internally estimated PS5 power based on cost assumptions).

That's why I don't trust them for PS5 info. The insiders that have access to both are definitive in their statements about which is more powerful and its PS5

Sirolf

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Le Mans , France
Everything I've heard from a Microsoft insiders does not appear to be definitive. They "think" Scarlett may be more powerful (probably from Microsoft themselves who have internally estimated PS5 power based on cost assumptions).

That's why I don't trust them for PS5 info. The insiders that have access to both are definitive in their statements about which is more powerful and its PS5

Exactly.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
The theme that both consoles will be similar in price and performance means we ought to maybe expect:

PS5: $499
Xbox Series X: $499

Lockhart @ $399

The predictions that people have posted with Lockhart at $299 seems too low once you consider the internals there. It's more than "just 4 TF GPU" - it will cost money to produce. $399 launch is $100 off what the Xbox One X retails for today and can be considered a solid replacement for, in 2020.
I'm along this line if thinking, though I think Lockhart may hit $350. If everyone assumes PS5 at 9.2 means $400 how does Lockhart at 4 also mean $400?

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Reputable people claim they are really close, now about which one has the slight edge...does it really matter?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I believe the statement was more vague, along the lines of "all our studios are building exclusives for the Xbox Series X", which can be easily misinterpreted, but only really says they won't be on competing consoles. After all, aren't we expecting every single Series X game to also run on Lockhart? Anything else would seem like a complete PR disaster. So the question of whether Xbox One / S / X are also supported is less clear and will likely follow some variant of the usual console transition.
Yes I agree.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Klee!

console warrioring aside, its in all our best interests to have these two close in power. ok, with that out of the way, i'm sure enjoying the twists and turns this story has been taking. if sony pulls out of this 9 TF thing, i', dying to know how!
Easy peasy, 3x PS4 Pro, 12.6 TF, done. :)

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
The number of consoles sold doesn't matter. The revenue generated and the LTV of each user is what matters. Like I said in my original post, the bare number of pieces of hardware sold doesn't matter to MS or Sony. "Are we selling more consoles than _____?" will never be a question asked in a business meeting at MS or Sony.,
Of course it matters, because today is what is needed to have a user in your ecosystem. It may change in a few years, when streaming is mainstream, but not today. You still need physical hardware to play games you bought or from your paid subscription.

It also usually means, especially after one or two years, another way of revenue unless it is something like ps3... And that is why there's limits when designing the boxes MS and Sony will try to sell you next fall.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
So the PS5 power game is on, goodbye 9,2TF and hello 12+TF. We are going full circle. I believe in Klee! a 36CU at 2GHz sounds unbelievable anyway. Wil be a frikin jet engine and twice the sound of my pro.

PrimeRib

Nov 16, 2017
if the gpu is based on the 5500m series, it will be around half the size of the series x APU. or cost half as much to make. Assuming $150 for the series X APU, they are saving $75 there. If its $200, they save a full one hundred.

it has no disc drive, thats an additional $30 in savings.

It should have a smaller SSD. 500GB vs 1TB. no idea of the costs here but lets assume $20 minimum.

It shouldnt require vapor chamber cooling. thats another $20.

Smaller form factor. thats another $10.

4GB of RAM. Another $20.

$75+20+10+20+20+30=$175. it gets them very close to hitting $299.

Interesting. Question is if Microsoft would consider pricing it higher than the break even point, to fill the gap with a $399 entry point most launch consoles have centered around. It would help bring back more $$ from the loss they'd take with the Series X (assuming that console would sell at at loss @ $499).

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
For the record, if PS5 comes in more powerful than Xbox, I dont regret anything I've said. I'm not apologizing to anyone about my predictions. It changes my life not at all. Fact that speculation over what megacorporations are doing with plastic toys is being taken personally is ridiculous and embarrassing. This should be fun. Nothing else.
Exactly.

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
This is so very confusing.

How much is the PS5 (rumor) = ?
What is the TeraFlops for the PS5 (rumor) = ?
Which Insider has the correct info = ?
Is there onboard ray tracing or is it an extra chip (rumor) = ?

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017

My thoughts exactly.

Dec 10, 2019

Not really. "close", "similar", "plans change", "aim for", "nothing changed". Those are not definitive phrases.
We still don't have any insider post Ps4 specs. Yet we have pictures of the actual development kit.

How many TFLOPs? Bandwidth? Rays per second? CPU frequency?
How much more powerful than Ps4 Pro or Ps4?

Oct 25, 2017
For the record, if PS5 comes in more powerful than Xbox, I dont regret anything I've said. I'm not apologizing to anyone about my predictions. It changes my life not at all. Fact that speculation over what megacorporations are doing with plastic toys is being taken personally is ridiculous and embarrassing. This should be fun. Nothing else.

100% agree. This is all silly fun. Who gives a shit.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
Not really. "close", "similar", "plans change", "aim for", "nothing changed". Those are not definitive phrases.
We still don't have any insider post Ps4 specs. Yet we have pictures of the actual development kit.

How many TFLOPs? Bandwidth? Rays per second? CPU frequency?
How much more powerful than Ps4 Pro or Ps4?

Well, Klee confirmed that 12 Tflops was the target specs for XSX since the beginning, which also confirms that the target specs for Ps5 were slightly higher and the announcement of XSX specs changes nothing for what Sony has in mind for the Ps5.

I still stand by his statements

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Lol, yeah it is humorous to hear the 9.2 tf box would hit $399 but a 4tf box with less ram, no disc drive, lower clocked CPU, less cooling requirements, and smaller chassis would cost the same or $50 less.
Unless it means Lockhart $400, 9.2 TF PS5 $500, 12 TF next gen $600. Still can't see either willing to hit $600 Sony in particular I'd it's their only sku

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
I hope your all wrong and both have exactly the same TFlops or whatever it's called, that would make me very very happy.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yes! Let's go!

So we are back to a powerful PS5?

Same if not more than series X ...Guaranteed 500/600 dollar consoles?

Status
Not open for further replies.