• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
I still think the most we get at CES is a "We'll have more on the PS5 next month" and maybe a date for the meeting if it's the first week of February. Maybe they use a 10 second teaser of a game to announce it. Something like a shot of Aloy looking out at the world and a crash to the PS Meeting date.

Whatever it is, I can't fucking wait! I need info :(

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Latency/timings are better for an APU
Mhmm. I assume you mean as regards memory timings - both GPU cache and GPU RAM?

I don't have a deep understanding about this stuff, nor did I take a deep dive into Sony's BC patents, but latency and timing - in general - sounds very important to BC accuracy. That seemed absolutely central to one of those patents.

Feb 23, 2019
Mhmm. I assume you mean as regards memory timings - both GPU cache and GPU RAM?

I don't have a deep understanding about this stuff, nor did I take a deep dive into Sony's BC patents, but latency and timing - in general - sounds very important to BC accuracy. That seemed absolutely central to one of those patents.

Yes, which is why they probably made a test APU for Navi development

I don't think these things are all that costly. Think of it as a stepping stone or building block. The design isn't wasted, it just gets expanded on

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
They described Shadow of the Colossus as a remake rather than a remaster, but for the new project they've said it goes even further and have used the term reimagining. That's the main reason I'm skeptical about Demon's Souls being the project. It sounds like it's an old enough title that it would need dramatic changes to gameplay systems in order to be relevant again - and I don't think that kind of tinkering would go over well with the From fan base.

Metal Gear Solid would be fantastic done this way.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Obvious sometimes flies right over peoples heads. Sometimes it even smacks them right in the face and they still don't get it...
Well, at the same time I was worried that maybe some of the responses were sarcastic, and I was the one missing the point. [Of course, the drawn out discussions about objectivity in games journalism made me confident that at least a few people were surely missing the point :) ]

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
You think watchdogs legion will be a launch game for xbox series x!

I hope so.

giphy.gif

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019
There's been a lot of back and forth regarding rumors, so here's a rough timeline from memory. Feel free to correct me if I get the order wrong.

2018:
  • At some point, it begins to be rumored that PS5, originally slated for 2019, will hit 2020. Backwards compatibility is cited as one potential cause.

• Ariel and Oberon as conceived need not be completely custom hardware, either. It's possible they could use off-the-shelf Zen 2 and Navi 10 die with only a custom IO die with some glue logic built on GloFo's robust 12nm process. This gives them more reflective hardware to play with well ahead of launch and when they'd normally have test silicon to exercise.
According to Aquariuszi:
In the end of 2017, Ariel appeared in Taiwan.
Feb. 2018, NAVI10 appeared in Taiwan.

Imo Ariel is built with original NAVI10 without hardware ray tracing. And there were some revisions of Ariel but stil no HW RT. That's what we see in github data.

Dec 31, 2017
Depends when the consoles launch. It will release on all platforms(cross gen) once the second next gen console launches.
I believe it was pushed back by Ubisoft among other games and it was said itwill be released on next gen consoles, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it at launch. The ray tracing looks good imo in that game and I'm hungry for some watchdogs!

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
Reason is customize SoC. AMD provides design, asks for liscense fee, and TSMC charges MS for manufacturing, and then that's it. No more cost for SOC. It's not like that some one buys a bunch of GPU which is expensive, it's like someone bought the blueprint of the GPU&CPU, so that they can make it themselves with a much lower price. Consumer GPUs usually only sale for one or two years with profit, but consoles can sale for a much longer time, much more units, which brings down the design&liscence fee.
Thanks for the great explanation. That makes things a lot clearer for me :)

nashman1313

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
User Warned: Console wars
XSX !!! boom we got you Sony "MOST POWERFULL CONSOLE"...."MORE FLOPS THAN PS5" meanwhile "EVERY GAME STILL RUNS ON XBONE"

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
yup. We're on the same page here. But look at these figures the PS4 is clocking in:

1556260146-capture-d-ecran-2019-04-26-a-08-29-06.png

from this thread:

here's the thing- those mainstream gamers who are just happy to play EA and Activision games every year don't line up for launch consoles. They are the users that are perfectly happy with the consoles they currently have- Those annualized titles (FIFA, Madden, COD) continue to show up on older systems for YEARS after a new console launch explicitly for that reason.

The kind of mainstream gamer that doesn't care about anything but madden or FIFA but will run out to drop $300 on a new system on launch day to play a shinier version of FIFA is mostly fiction.

All economics are marginal. In the past, there was never a cheaper launch option at all, so we actually don't know how these consumers will behave. But in a sense we do because consumer behavior isn't terribly mysterious. Prices aren't the only thing that matters, but they matter. Some will still wait many years to buy. Some people will wait for a $199 price or the first good bundle or whatever (and Lock will let MS get there faster than Sony). And some will absolutely get a $299 console who would have waited in previous gens when consoles were more expensive at launch.

In short, Lockhart will clearly let MS get more sales than they would otherwise.

once again- gamepass exists on current consoles and PCs. a gamer who is looking for "an attractive excuse to get into gamepass" doesn't have to buy a lockhart. They can buy a cheap current generation system or use gamepass via PC and have the same experience.

How does a current gen console equate to the same experience? It can't play next gen games, obviously.

Meanwhile the Game Pass PC catalog requires you to have a high end PC to take advantage of it, which is hardly a substitute product for someone considering a $300 console.

nashman1313

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Dont mean to sound like Console wars douche. I own a X1X a 360 and an OG xbox. I just dont get the point of boasting at the exact same time(and spending all that R and D) that your "most powerfull" yet ALL games will play on LEAST powerfull 2013 console? Is Forza going to have 50 cars on XSX and 18 on Xbox one? NO It will have 18 on both. Is Halo Infinate going to have 2 seperate campaigns? No. One built up for the ground to take advantage of Zen 2? No. It will have the have the Xbox one campaign in 4k instaed of 900p.....

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Runs on Xbone through Xcloud.

Checkmate.

LOL. I don't know why people can't just enjoy things without needing to shit on other people's things too.

Octogenarian Somerset Maugham told a visitor to his French Riviera estate recently, "Now that I've grown old, I realize that for most of us it is not enough to have achieved personal success. One's best friend must also have failed."

Dont mean to sound like Console wars douche. I own a X1X a 360 and an OG xbox. I just dont get the point of boasting at the exact same time(and spending all that R and D) that your "most powerfull" yet ALL games will play on LEAST powerfull 2013 console? Is Forza going to have 50 cars on XSX and 18 on Xbox one? NO It will have 18 on both. Is Halo Infinate going to have 2 seperate campaigns? No. One built up for the ground to take advantage of Zen 2? No. It will have the have the Xbox one campaign in 4k instaed of 900p.....

See now we can have a conversation. More constructive. I understand where your coming from and I suppose we'll see. Hellblade 2 didn't look compromised. I will say that for me, Forza doesn't need a shit ton of cars to be great. Most of the time you're either coasting ahead in a race or trying to get past a pocket of cars. A shit ton more cars would actually be unappealing to me. I'm curious to see how MS tackles different versions. Halo Infinite will be our first taste. Can't wait!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
The World

Yes actually, same game can be built differently for different machines. Third party games do it all the time when a new generation launches.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a quick question, but which devs are you most excited to see take advantage of the next gen consoles?

For me in no particular order it's

Naughty Dog
343i
The Coalition
Sucker Punch (I want to see that Infamous lighting on a PS5)
Playground (Horizon and Fable will look unreal on Series X)
Rockstar (GTA 6 might look life like)
Polyphony Digital. GT7. GT Sport looks phenomenal as is, Kaz and the team have been talking of RT for years now... you just know the next game will look even closer to photorealism. I know they had a lot of issues with the jaguar cpus, had to offset alot of computational work to the gpu, now with the CPU update we will get... boggles my mind to think what PD will do with more GPU resources to beautify an already gorgeous game.

Naughty Dog. You know what intrigues me? NDs statement on TLOU 2 multiplayer. They said we should wait in future to see the fruits of their multiplayer labor, and I think that means (in line with Cerny's patent for BC) we will get a proper TLOU 2 patch that wont just up resolution /framerate, but be graphically enhanced for PS5. and I think they want to keep the multiplayer aspect exclusive to next gen by doing that. All as a free patch for TLOU 2 owners. Pure speculation on my part.

Suckerpunch. Im expecting alot of first party devs releasing games late will get a free update for a next gen version, and Ghosts looks incredibly beautiful already, I can't wait to see how it'd look with a next gen coat of paint.

Insomniac. Next gen spidey... it'd melt our eyes, Im certain of it. Im sure we will get some update for the current spidey game, because Cerny was playing it on the dev kit earlier this year, so maybe they will have that ready for launch....interested to see how far they take it (beyond faster loading times)

Santa Monica Studio. I cant even imagine how the next God Of War will look... at times in battle, literally looking at thousands of particles flying in the air, the epic encounters, all running on PS4/Pro... At times I was shocked at how they got this running on PS4. A Ps5 sequel.....would melt our eyes.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA

I think whatever game started development on xb1 / xb1x will release on those base consoles, i.e. Halo Infinite, Forza 8. Future Scarlett games will run natively on Xsx, Lockhart, and PC (ssd required). Everywhere else through xcloud.

nashman1313

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Being fully forward and backwards compatable is a very cool feature. Great. This will be selling point for many people. Yet you cant have your cake and eat it too. All games run on the Xbox family of devices cool, then what the point of of taking a 100$ loss to be 11.5 flops instead of 9.5? They could have price match Sony at 399 but now they cant, why??? For the bulletpoint of "most powerfull"(that they dont actually take advantage of)? Makes no sence to me!

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

1) Are they really boasting that "all games" will play on the OG xbox One?

2) the differences between versions will depend on the approach to development. Halo Infinite on Series X, I imagine, will more or less be the xbox one version with higher resolution and better assets. But if you look back to Forza Horizon 2, which was on xbox 360 and xbox one, the two versions were essentially two different games- one was a fully open world with most physical barriers being breakable , a dynamic whether system, vehicle tuning and AI learning powered NPC opponents, and the other had a similar, but much more restrictive map, and completely lacked those other features. Its kinda funny you mention Forza given how this franchise has handled being cross-gen in the past.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Being fully forward and backwards compatable is a very cool feature. Great. This will be selling point for many people. Yet you cant have your cake and eat it too. All games run on the Xbox family of devices cool, then what the point of of taking a 100$ loss to be 11.5 flops instead of 9.5? They could have price match Sony at 399 but now they cant, why??? For the bulletpoint of "most powerfull"(that they dont actually take advantage of)? Makes no sence to me!

None of us knows just how many games are going to be cross gen. Could be all of them, could be very few. It's a strange narrative that seemed to snowball to the point now that all of their 1st party games are going to release on XB1, when in actuality all we've heard was vague PR about how they aren't going to forget about their current gen users. Honestly this far out that's the kind of Goodwill PR I expect to hear, doesn't mean that it should be taken as literally every game is going to be cross gen.

Jun 23, 2019
Man once we find out specs, several insiders are either going to be heroes or goats after all of this. Can't wait for the PS5 unveil. More than likely Sony will do it the same way they did the PS4; show us the PS5 at PS Meeting 2020 and then give us the blowout at E3.

Dec 8, 2018
I see we've begun to calm down since there's nothing to talk about

Yeah let's get hyped over the possibility of this gen ssd's and CPU enabling us to grapple a stormbird in Horizon 2 mounting it and flying across the entire map at ridiculous speeds without pop in.

To rain lead from above down on the locust frontline from a gunship and encounters not longer restricted to corridor areas.

To not pick up your phone and be able to get up to speed of the next gen speculation thread every time you want to travel in god of war 2.

And just maybe have AI enemies that you don't figure out after one encounter and actually behaves in a somewhat realistic manner.

Image quality is nice to have but these improvements will be FAR more important than a few more pixels in resolution you can't see the difference between regardless

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Image quality is nice to have but these improvements will be FAR more important than a few more pixels in resolution you can't see the difference between regardless
Agreed.
I'm one of those who need DF to understand that a game has dynamic 4K. I just don't care about the resolution. Like at all.
Framerate on the other hand, that matters. XSX will be day 1 because of prepaid GP but once I have both it's whatever console that gets the most stable framerate in multiplats that I will have as the main console, like always.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah let's get hyped over the possibility of this gen ssd's and CPU enabling us to grapple a stormbird in Horizon 2 mounting it and flying across the entire map at ridiculous speeds without pop in.

To rain lead from above down on the locust frontline from a gunship and encounters not longer restricted to corridor areas.

To not pick up your phone and be able to get up to speed of the next gen speculation thread every time you want to travel in god of war 2.

And just maybe have AI enemies that you don't figure out after one encounter and actually behaves in a somewhat realistic manner.

I wonder how many polygons PD will use to model the fan belt on a 2013 honda civic.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
XSX !!! boom we got you Sony "MOST POWERFULL CONSOLE"...."MORE FLOPS THAN PS5" meanwhile "EVERY GAME STILL RUNS ON XBONE"
Every single Xbox Game Studios game will be (or actually already is) very scalable given simultaneously PC releases in any case. Offering an Xbox One version for a certain period of time is "free" for them, given a low-spec PC-version exists in any case, whether they release it on XBO or not.

Forza Horizon 4 runs on a Radeon R7 with 2 GB of memory. This didn't stop the game from easily being the best-looking racer this generation on consoles.

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Yea. This thing about games is coming from Windows Central article that initially games will be released on both XSX and XB1. Beyond that we don't know much.
I'm sure it'll be a mixture initially as they need to keep XBO owners subscribing to Game Pass.

Beyond Halo Infinite, I'd say Everwild is likely cross gen. And certainly the smaller projects.

But the flagship games will be next gen only. The next Forza, Gears, Fable etc. If Perfect Dark is really a thing then I expect that'll be next gen only too.

My guess anyway.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Well you failed in one regard. Just like literally every new generation, the first year or 2 will have games coming out for both, and eventually we'll see games specifically tailored to the next gen hardware. There will be some games that are next-gen only with ray tracing and all the other goodies that come along with the extra power.

Dec 8, 2018
These guys excite me the most, easily.
- The Initiative
- Playground
- 343i
- Coalition
- Guerrilla Games
- Sony Santa Monica
- Capcom (REEngine)
I would add:

ND since they have a tendency to always impress and show graphics you thought would not be possible on the hardware before the rest catch up.

Rockstar and how gta v is still impressive not even being developed for this gen of hardware.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
they may - but a wired article during a quiet period, which will naturally be then reported worldwide via news/blog sites, is very different than during one of the noisiest news periods for tech sites.

CES has been relatively quiet recently and isn't exactly reported heavily in the mainstream news though, so a ps5 reveal of some kind may be able to punch through and get enough air
CES has been relatively quiet recently and isn't exactly reported heavily in the mainstream news though, so a ps5 reveal of some kind may be able to punch through and get enough air

If Sony announce more details of the PS5, I'm pretty sure it's going to punch through loud and clear to the mainstream regardless of whatever other tech news is announced there.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody else heard anything about this?
A new wrinkle perhaps?
Yeah I remember reading the thread about the patent last year

I don't think it was taken that seriously at the time because Sony files a lot of weird patents that still haven't been made into reality, and it was pretty much fully written off after they only announced PS4 Backwards compatibility in the Wired article. I don't know much about this guys track record but yeah that'd be sick.

TraumaRN

Dec 29, 2019
Yeah I remember reading the thread about the patent last year

I don't think it was taken that seriously at the time because Sony files a lot of weird patents that still haven't been made into reality, and it was pretty much fully written off after they only announced PS4 Backwards compatibility in the Wired article. I don't know much about this guys track record but yeah that'd be sick.
Oh yeah I seem to remember reading about that. Like you said totally wrote it off. Not 100% on his overall track record but I do know he had made inroads with industry insiders through watching interviews etc. on his channel from time to time.

L33

Dec 20, 2019
If ps5 really is 8-9 TF then Sony are in danger of relying on brand loyalty next gen, I know a lot of people who would jump ship for superior specs (ignoring the games!) Also a big percentage of sales would be parents buying it as Christmas present for children, so things like playground/online gossip saying xbox is way more powerful would be a big influence on sales

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else heard anything about this?
A new wrinkle perhaps?

Think he's might be misinterpreting an old Sony patent for remastering by emulation. But if I recall an artist still had to do the updating.

I could be misinterpreting the patent as well, but to me it kind of seems like Sony setting up the stages for a backwards compatibility program similar to MS.

If it's built into PS5 and they have AI to up-res on the fly I'd pulling my jaw off the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.