• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
MOST POWERFUL (XBOX)

As mentioned in their tweets and even on the best buy page.

Dw6_ti9WkAEduIU.jpg

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, staying silent could be a positive for Sony either way?

If they are ~9.2TF it means there won't be as much drama when they actually announce their specs as most of us will have reached the acceptance stage of grief 😂.

If they have exceeded 9.2TF then the announcement will be a megaton/legendary.
The truth. I honestly won't trust that Xbox is more powerful until DF shows it in a face off after the launch, I could see a ton of different sneaky things Sony could do just to catch MS off guard;) Secret sauce? Most definitely!

Dec 8, 2018
Like people who said PS5 is 13-14TF

What? You are free to have your opinion but if that opinion is based on the ramblings of a madman it have no place in this discussion.

The mrxmedia guys (you perhaps one of them?) literally payed several thousands of dollars on X-rays to prove this guy's theory of there being hidden stuff inside the Xbox one... It's nothing but fanboy drivel and console warring he base anything he "research" on so yes even posting him as a joke is bad and to actually put any weight on his comment only proves where you also stand.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Speculation: Original reddit "leak" was a controlled leak direct from MS (which is why it contains pricing - something which no dev would know/care about).

The interesting thing about the reddit leak was the mention of both MS and Sony hardware - I speculate that this is what MS thinks/thought Sony was going to do and thus the 4tf Lockhart + 12tf Anaconda 'sandwich'.

It was a controlled leak to:
  • test the waters - see what the reaction would be to both the low-end and the higher-priced consoles
  • start forming a narrative around which marketing can be built - "most powerful" etc
I think this was a pretty genius move (and I completely discounted the rumour before).

It also allowed the MS/XBox insiders (there's a group who I feel are very reliable with XBox info, in no particular order - Klobrille, hmqgg, Brad Sams, Jez, Tom Warren) to write/blog/vlog about this info and to prime the pump before big reveals.

Now what is interesting (going by my hypothesis) is how very certain Microsoft were about an 8tf PS5 - it is almost like they had war-gamed all the alternatives and decided that Sony's most sensible strategy was 8tf @ 399.

So we come to how this is presented - the insiders I listed above have been extremely accurate with XBox related news - so much so that I feel we pretty much have all the MS info now - apart from GDDR6 timings and VRS/RT info which I'm betting will come next week from AMD.

With that said, as much as I like that we have this info now, I don't like the muddying of waters that happens when this group of insiders (with excellent track-records for XBox info) start adding speculation around PS5 alongside the facts for XBox, ie.

4tf Lockhart (fact)
8tf PS5 (speculation)
12tf Anaconda/SeriesX (fact)

When presented with this information from these folks (who are extremely credible), the undoubted reaction is to believe PS5 speculation as fact. I don't think these folks need to speculate at all to be honest - if anything they're speculation about PS5 makes them less credible than if they just stuck to reporting facts.

To be clear I'm not calling anyone out - I think these folks have great contacts in MS and are getting near enough direct info (including what MS think Sony is doing) and it's amazing that they're willing to share this info (via twitter as teases usually ;-)

If I'm being out of order in anyway here I'm sorry

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
What? You are free to have your opinion but if that opinion is based on the ramblings of a madman it have no place in this discussion.

The mrxmedia guys (you perhaps one of them?) literally payed several thousands of dollars on X-rays to prove this guy's theory of there being hidden stuff inside the Xbox one... It's nothing but fanboy drivel and console warring he base anything he "research" on so yes even posting him as a joke is bad and to actually put any weight on his comment only proves where you also stand.

Peeps, allow rbej. Literally his whole post history is like this. No point in wasting time

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I was on board for 9.2tf being the actual specs (solid leaks like these most often turn out as fact) but I'm not sure I believe that will be the final number anymore. I have to agree with the elaborations in that it seems very unlikely that Sony would want to go for 2.0ghz GPU clockrate making expensive cooling & power supply a necessity. It defeats the whole purpose of sticking to 36 CU's in the first place.

My theory:
Either I see Sony going for a lower clockrate ending up at ~8tf and being able to release the console for $399.
or
They are planning on providing more CU's with a future devkit (and retail console) but for the sake of ongoing development just increased the clockrate to get closer to that target. Developers still get to work with the new architecture, GDDR6, new ultra-SSD & File Archive API etc.

idioteque

Nov 8, 2017
Does anyone really think that both MS and Sony will be in the dark about what each other are doing/building at this point?

I'm absolutely confident both companies will know exactly what their competitors are aiming on releasing. There's just too many people involved for those in the industry not to discuss it with each other.

I'm not going to give my full details away, but I used to work in an industry where we'd design and build products that were under NDA at each step of the way, but as soon as any type of manufacturing/prototyping started, our competitors would know what we were building, and we would know what they were planning. It was all always too late to change anything by that point anyway as I'm sure it is now for MS and Sony.

People talk, you can't stop that, and for the amount of people involved in designing, building and manufacturing a new console, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that both MS and Sony know exactly what the other company is doing.

Just the fact they are both using AMD would be enough for me to think they will have known what the other is doing for a very long time.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona

Wait, did they really buy an X-ray? Why couldn't they just tear down an Xbox? WTF lol.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I was on board for 9.2tf being the actual specs (solid leaks like these most often turn out as fact) but I'm not sure I believe that will be the final number anymore. I have to agree with the elaborations in that it seems very unlikely that Sony would want to go for 2.0ghz GPU clockrate making expensive cooling & power supply a necessity. It defeats the whole purpose of sticking to 36 CU's in the first place.

My theory:
Either I see Sony going for a lower clockrate ending up at ~8tf and being able to release the console for $399.
or
They are planning on providing more CU's with a future devkit (and retail console) but for the sake of ongoing development just increased the clockrate to get closer to that target. Developers still get to work with the new architecture, GDDR6, new ultra-SSD & File Archive API etc.
At this point,i believe those V dev kits really run at 2GHz clock but that retail PS5 will have lower clock, something in 1.8-1.9 GHz range.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think Sony are doing a reveal in February and I guess Klee's friend's game will be present (which is why he knows the date and why he's gone dark until after the reveals)

Dec 8, 2018
Wait, did they really buy an X-ray? Why couldn't they just tear down an Xbox? WTF lol.

If I remember correctly they gathered money to make some company do an x-ray of some part of the Xbox one silicon to show there were "hidden" stuff inside it MS only waited to activate...

First it was direct x 12 that would activate it if I remember correctly and when that did not do anything 😱 he started posting about every Xbox s actually being an Xbox X and they were just waiting to push the button to transform every console 😂😂

That people from that site still put any faith in him is just totally mind blowing he literally have a history of being 100% wrong but they still act as he's been 100% right.

I don't go there often but it was a constant source of comedy I used to read when I was in need of cheering up before.

But let's not talk about it anymore they already had more attention then they should have by simply being mentioned.

edit: Forgot to mention the x-rays showed nothing 😱

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I still believe...

Gonzalo - - - > Arden - - - -> Prospero

Are three different devkits for PS5.

Prospero being close to retail specs. And one we dont know anything about.

Yes, I know people will say Arden has XB BC links.. but Im going to assume Jeffram 's post is true. I believe it to be true though.

Arden - AMD Codename for what is currently believed (# of RBE's) to be XSX platform
Sparkman - AMD codename for what is currently believed (# of RBE's) to be Lockhart platform
Argalus - ??? codename for ??? - hmqgg says MS product but we can't find anything
Dante - MS codename for XSX dev kit

Gonzalo - AMD codename for early PS5 platform
Flute - AMD codename for updated PS5 platform
Ariel (A0/B0) - AMD codename for first rendition of PS5 iGPU
Oberon (A0/B0) - AMD codename for updated PS5 iGPU
Prospero - Sony codename for PS5 dev kit

I don't recall Jeffram's post as having anything to do with Arden, I guess I will go and re-read. Edit: yeah nothing there

Last edited:

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Things are looking to play out almost exactly how it did this gen, at least in terms of reveals. Sony does a PS5 reveal in February, with MS following afterwards in April or May.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Things are looking to play out almost exactly how it did this gen, at least in terms of reveals. Sony does a PS5 reveal in February, with MS following afterwards in April or May.

Although the Wired articles + E3/TGA reveals have already shaken things up. Those along with the Sony CES message are the main reasons I haven't totally ruled out something being shown for PS5 at CES.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm not sure they would. It's in reference to being the most powerful Xbox, with enough convenient ambiguity for marketing.

Exactly, if the xbox ends up being less powerful they just say. it's the most powerful xbox ever released....if the PS5 ends up being weaker, they change it to the most powerful console.

Status
Not open for further replies.