• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2019
  • klee already came and revealed that nothing has changed after Phil revealed 12 tflops. this was almost a month ago. he had previously stated that the ps5 has more tflops. He had been harassed and mocked relentlessly for saying both the Xbox and PS5 would be in double digit tflops.
  • Jason also said hes hearing that both consoles are more powerful than the rtx 2080. 9.2 tflops oberon would be less powerful than the 2070.
  • Colin and Reiner were told that PS5 is more powerful by devs.
  • Jason came back and reconfirmed that devs were targeting more than 10.7 tflops after the Series X reveal
  • WCCFTECH Navi leaker. the only one who got Navi almost a 100% right said the PS5 is using a bigger navi than a 40 CU over a year ago. He said the same about the Xbox.
  • Sony's CEO said that they wont get complacent.
  • After the first wired article, all MS insiders went out there and claimed that the Xbox was more powerful. As if they all had the same info. They were a hundred percent sure. After the 12 tflops leak, no one made repeated that claim. Not Windows Central or Brad Sams or Tom Warren. I wouldnt be surprised if all these xbox insiders had this github info months before everyone else. They were surprisingly sure of the PS5 being 8-9 tflops with no hardware rt despite Cerny confirming multiple times. Because the github leaks didnt mention rt for Oberon.
  • Why would Sony allow themselves to get outmatched on both price and power? They lose the casuals to a $299 lockhart and the hardcore to a $499 series x.
  • Why would Sony invest in a dedicated 3d audio chip, the fastest ssd known to man, ray tracing, zen 2 cpu and then gimp the gpu?
There is definitely a chance that Sony fucked up. They became arrogant with the PS3. Nintendo followed them with a shitty Wii U and MS followed their success by throwing it all away with the X1. So yes, it's possible, but highly unlikely. Sony would have to fuck up in a way no console manufacturer has fucked up before. and thats not happening. Let's not forget, on paper, the ps3 was the more powerful console. so even their fuck up was a $850 monster. they did not cheap out.

Another fantastic post, but I highlighted a point I feel like there hasn't been much discussion on. Let's say for discussion sake that the chip is above 40CUs. In order to fit the RT and other components, what's the lowest feasible CU count Sony could have before you run into heating and power issues? 56CUs would be too much right?

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
  • klee already came and revealed that nothing has changed after Phil revealed 12 tflops. this was almost a month ago. he had previously stated that the ps5 has more tflops. He had been harassed and mocked relentlessly for saying both the Xbox and PS5 would be in double digit tflops.
  • Jason also said hes hearing that both consoles are more powerful than the rtx 2080. 9.2 tflops oberon would be less powerful than the 2070.
  • Jason came back and reconfirmed that both Sony and MS were targeting more than 10.7 tflops after the Series X reveal
  • WCCFTECH Navi leaker. the only one who got Navi almost a 100% right said the PS5 is using a bigger navi than a 40 CU over a year ago. He said the same about the Xbox.
  • After the first wired article, all MS insiders went out there and claimed that the Xbox was more powerful. As if they all had the same info. They were a hundred percent sure. After the 12 tflops leak, no one made repeated that claim. Not Windows Central or Brad Sams or Tom Warren. I wouldnt be surprised if all these xbox insiders had this github info months before everyone else. They were surprisingly sure of the PS5 being 8-9 tflops with no hardware rt despite Cerny confirming multiple times. Because the github leaks didnt mention rt for Oberon.
  • Why would Sony allow themselves to get outmatched on both price and power? They lose the casuals to a $299 lockhart and the hardcore to a $499 series x.
  • Why would Sony invest in a dedicated 3d audio chip, the fastest ssd known to man, ray tracing, zen 2 cpu and then gimp the gpu?
There is definitely a chance that Sony fucked up. They became arrogant with the PS3. Nintendo followed them with a shitty Wii U and MS followed their success by throwing it all away with the X1. So yes, it's possible, but highly unlikely. Sony would have to fuck up in a way no console manufacturer has fucked up before. and thats not happening. Let's not forget, on paper, the ps3 was the more powerful console. so even their fuck up was a $850 monster. they did not cheap out.
b-but my github...

I really appreciate entering this thread and finding stuff like this from time to time. We're like fucking Dory in this thread, with a memory that spans like 5 minutes.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
New predictions based on what we know now and anecdotal evidence.

XSX- 12 TF RDNA, 499
PS5- 9.2-10TF RDNA, 399, sells like hot cakes
Lockhart- 4-ish TF RDNA, 299

Oggmeiler

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
User Banned (1 Week): Platform Warring, Drive-by Trolling, History of Same
Cerny a fraud, but thats ok.

Last edited:

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
  • Jason came back and reconfirmed that both Sony and MS were targeting more than 10.7 tflops after the Series X reveal

#team14TF #teamHBM #team499 #teamhappy2020 #teamstartingtogetdrunk 😂👌🤣😆

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I think it's possible PS really wants to hit the 399 price point. A 9-10 TF console is a great console and is going to be a super powerful console. It might look slightly worse in comparison to the rumored XSX specs but that doesn't mean it's inherently bad.

Also, it's possible that Reiner and others had bad or outdated info. We will see when the console are unveiled.

S3V8

alt account
Banned
Dec 25, 2019
🇬🇧
Mecha Meister If you don't mind my suggestion about title 🙂

Next generation of Xbox will be called just Xbox, not Xbox Series.

Series X is just a name of model, like Elite, S and X for Xbox One. I could suggest PS5 and the new Xbox speculation launch thread or PS5 and (the new) Xbox speculation launch thread.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's possible PS really wants to hit the 399 price point. A 9-10 TF console is a great console and is going to be a super powerful console. It might look slightly worse in comparison to the rumored XSX specs but that doesn't mean it's inherently bad.

Also, it's possible that Reiner and others had bad or outdated info. We will see when the console are unveiled.
This so much. Too many of you here are feeling that if one or the other is not more than 10tf it is a disaster. Consoles push way beyond their weight class when it comes to games. Still remember people here saying the Xbox One X will NEVER have games at Native 4k, but Forza Horizon, Red Dead prove that a 6TF machine with a gimped CPU could pull it off. Imagine what the "X" would of been like with a Ryzen CPU? Anything over 8tf with the CPU they are putting into the system is going to be bonkers.

The second thing is that pricing is important. I think MS may have something with the two-tiered approach, but if Sony comes in at $399.99 machine even if is 9tf it is going to sell like hot-cakes. The other side and more important side is the games that I believe Sony has been planning out for the launch and the first year. I think we are going to get some incredible games and I really believe Sony has quietly been planning this shit out very well and the launch line-up and the 1st year is going to be out of this world. Software will drive the hardware and even if Sony comes in at 9tf, the magic number imho is the $399.99 price point. Even with it being let's say $399.99 I still think they take a $50+ loss per unit because of all the other tech in it. A next gen system at $399.99 with the Software that Sony can crank out will be a formidable combination.

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, "let them fight". There are no winners in all of this, except the peeps that buy them both, Great games on both platforms..

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
its pretty mind blowing the upgrade we're all going to see. this should be something else, i cant wait!

heres to 2020 yall!

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another fantastic post, but I highlighted a point I feel like there hasn't been much discussion on. Let's say for discussion sake that the chip is above 40CUs. In order to fit the RT and other components, what's the lowest feasible CU count Sony could have before you run into heating and power issues? 56CUs would be too much right?
I believe posters here estimated 10% for RT space by looking at the space rt cores take up in nvidia rtx cards.

It will just make the CUs bigger because patents show RT cores will be part of the texture mapping units which are part of CUs. 1 Dual CU is 5mm2 so you are looking at 15mm2 extra if they go with 60 CUs.

As for power usage, RDNA 2.0 cards are said to be more power efficient according to AMD, not less. RT really wont make a big difference. I mean the rtx cards are very power efficient. 2070 is 175w, 2080 is 235W and they are on 12nm. AMD has already caught up to Pascal tflops, they should get to turing tlfops by next year with rdna 2.0 and other enhancements. there is no reason why they cant match their power efficiency either.

Remember, the rtx 2080 has less than 3000 shader processors. or 46 CUs and yet they can easily handle 1.95 ghz during gameplay. thats 11.4 tflops.

Check out my post below. I went in trying to prove that 2.0 ghz might be possible if we take into account rdna 2.0 or 1.5 improvements, and N7P nodes (7% power savings) and ended up realizing that a 200w 56 CU 2.0 ghz console might be possible if the performance improvements result in a higher sweet spot for clocks.
So I have spent a lot of time discrediting Oberon, time to provide a counter argument.

Navi has made a lot of improvements not only bridging the gap between Nvidia and AMD tflops, but also in power efficiency. From what I understand, Navi tflops are the same as Pascal tflops and only around 10% weaker than Turing tflops. MS's sweet spot for the 40 CU Polaris was 1172 mhz. It seems the clocks have gotten a massive boost with the sweet spot now being 1700 mhz.

With 1 year in the oven and some more arch improvements, a 10% performance increase in not out of the ordinary. So we can assume, the sweet spot would go up to 1.87 ghz. Or 110w for a 40 CU 9.5 tflops GPU. With N7p's 7% improvements, we can increase the clocks by another 7% of 1.87 ghz or exactly 2.09 ghz. lines up with OrisisBlack's 2.1 ghz leak from last year.

So now we have a 40 CU 2.1 ghz gpu consuming 110w. a 36 CU 2.0 ghz GPU should take 10% less power. That gets us a 100w GPU on 7np. Assuming ram, ssd, cpu take up another 50w, we are looking at a console with the same tdp as a Pro. Should NOT require any fancy cooling like vapor chamber or dual heatsinks on either side. they might save $10-20 dollars here. if they are saving $15-30 in a 15% smaller APU, we are looking at $25-50 in savings. I dont see how they get to $399 but they could be willing to take a loss to get there.

So we basically need N7p, 10% arch improvements without going to rdna 2.0, and we can have the 2.0 ghz be the sweet spot. And maybe a $449 console. You could argue that MS can take the same loss and launch at $449 as well to go for the kill, and I'd hope they do.

Lastly, if those N7p, 10% arch improvements are true, then MS can also target 2.0 ghz and get to 14 tflops with their 56 CUs without breaking the 200w limit.

Edit: Source for sweet spot.

ysplb2a3f6b31.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
There mores then just TF that goes into performance but to worry about this hypothetical so far out is just silly

I mean.. what's really silly is talking down to me about this. Having third party push the console to the max and not leaving power on the table is a legitimate desire. I don't think that's controversial. Also I don't think I ever said TF is all there is but at 9.2 vs. 12 it would be a major differentiator. I hope that gap is closed and both consoles come out at $499.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
In order to fit the RT and other components, what's the lowest feasible CU count Sony could have before you run into heating and power issues? 56CUs would be too much right?

Power draw increases linearly-ish with area, so if you add, say, 50% CUs, you add roughly that much power draw (and heat, of course) as well. 56CUs at 5700XT frequencies would likely mean +200w for the GPU alone, but back off those freqs a bit and you get into much more comfortable territory.

Last edited:

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BTW, the gonzalo firestrike score was '20000 up' right?

it was based on the 1.8 ghz gpu. at 2.0 ghz, we are looking at another ~10% performance improvement. or 22k+.

3554064-5707219929-fatal.jpg

my rtx 2080 tops out at 21.5k, but i am using a 6 core 12 thread intel 8700 3.2 ghz processor. Then again, the PS5 or the gonzalo is using a CPU thats basically equivalent to a ryzen 1700x. it should be even worse than my i7-8700. Firestrike is very CPU dependent too. Which means the GPU is even more powerful than the rtx 2080.

Yet another gonzalo/oberon leak that simply doesnt add up.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Last post.

Dude, just stop. I don't even know where to start anymore. Nothing i said is what you are arguing about. I'm not getting worked up about anything. You just keep creating situations in your head and thinking I'm the one saying that. You are the only one connecting MS and Sony.

This discussion isn't even about what i initially said and nothing you are saying is refuting anything that i said. You are just moving the discussion further and further away from my initial post. You need to go back and read my previous posts because right now I'm arguing with your imagination instead off what I actually said.

To be clear: My argument is not sales, MS, XSX, Lockhart or anything in comparison with MS. It's all about what Sony themselves said: niche, hardcore and a price point that will make sense when the specs are revealed.

I was literally replying to you in previous thread because you were saying that for "you" 9.2tf was not enough for some buyers to be there day one. And then throughout your conversation with other posters who questioned that rationale. Even other posters mentioned price as being the "casual" driving force.

But looking at where we are in terms of the tech being put into these machines, even if it ended up being 10tf it's still pretty wild, and worth while for a lot of first time early adopters.

Sorry if I came off a certain way, i was reading some of your earlier posts in that thread, and when you started talking about things that should be bannable I THINK I jumped the shark and saw you talking about hardcore/vs TF and early adopters.

Jun 23, 2019
I believe posters here estimated 10% for RT space by looking at the space rt cores take up in nvidia rtx cards.

It will just make the CUs bigger because patents show RT cores will be part of the texture mapping units which are part of CUs. 1 Dual CU is 5mm2 so you are looking at 15mm2 extra if they go with 60 CUs.

As for power usage, RDNA 2.0 cards are said to be more power efficient according to AMD, not less. RT really wont make a big difference. I mean the rtx cards are very power efficient. 2070 is 175w, 2080 is 235W and they are on 12nm. AMD has already caught up to Pascal tflops, they should get to turing tlfops by next year with rdna 2.0 and other enhancements. there is no reason why they cant match their power efficiency either.

Remember, the rtx 2080 has less than 3000 shader processors. or 46 CUs and yet they can easily handle 1.95 ghz during gameplay. thats 11.4 tflops.

Check out my post below. I went in trying to prove that 2.0 ghz might be possible if we take into account rdna 2.0 or 1.5 improvements, and N7P nodes (7% power savings) and ended up realizing that a 200w 56 CU 2.0 ghz console might be possible if the performance improvements result in a higher sweet spot for clocks.
Power draw increases linearly-ish with area, so if you add, say, 50% CUs, you add roughly that much power draw (and heat, of course) as well. 56CUs at 5700XT frequencies would likely mean 250w for the GPU alone, but back off those freqs a bit and you get into much more comfortable territory.

Ah ok, that makes sense. Thanks guys.

Aug 26, 2019
Was this ever posted? I could definitely see this being what next-gen FPS games could look like, with RTX on. The last 45 seconds or so are pretty mind-blowing IMO.

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
With my new gaming pc I can hold off on the Xbox for a bit but will get ps5 at launch. So glad MS first-party games are all on pc now.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I am officially living in the year of PS5 and XSX. I am in the future.

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
Recently just put together a 2080ti based gaming PC. Will definitely get a PS5. Excited to see what the year holds for us.

Oct 27, 2017
The Ether
Based on a educated guess. I think this is true.
Machines are very close don't worry.

These two statements seem to contradict each other.

If a Navi teraflop is better than GCN teraflop, a 2 teraflop difference between machines seems like a pretty big deal to me. I know it's a smaller percentage than the difference between Pro and X, but it's a bigger delta.

Im gonna be fucking bummed if the PS5 goes cheap and underpowered like this. Which is what i assume is going to happen.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Welp Osiris on the other side seems to think both machines will be very close with one having a better RT implementation.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
These two statements seem to contradict each other.

If a Navi teraflop is better than GCN teraflop, a 2 teraflop difference between machines seems like a pretty big deal to me. I know it's a smaller percentage than the difference between Pro and X, but it's a bigger delta.

Im gonna be fucking bummed if the PS5 goes cheap and underpowered like this. Which is what i assume is going to happen.

It's not don't worry. ANd even let;s say it is lower, to still have something in the 9tf+ category with the new zen cpu is going to be crazy fast. I'm just excited to see what first party, and PSVR2 will look like with this thing.

Welp Osiris on the other side seems to think both machines will be very close with one having a better RT implementation.

I think that might be MS with the better RT to be honest. I feel like the way Cerny talked about RT he acknowledged it will be featured, but came off like it was not a focus of their diesn. Storage speed seemed to be far more important to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.