• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
sure we can.
  • cerny said hardware rt is in the gpu. oberon didnt have rt.
  • chinese leaker said oberon is 300mm2. you cant fit a 40 cu gpu and a zen 2 cpu with 8 cores and 16 threads in a 300mm2 apu on 7nm. its impossible.
  • oberon 2.0 ghz has a bandwidth of 448GB/s. Flute leak with a 1.8 ghz gpu showed bandwidth of 530 gb/s. so they upped the clocks and downgraded the bandwidth?

I didn't mean we have to assume Oberon is final PS5 hardware. I meant we need an explanation for what this thing is doing alongside Arden if it's not PS5.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Both MS and Sony are full of incredibly smart and talented engineers, and will come up with similar results given the same time, resources, and budget.

MS clearly had different aspirations with the X than Sony did with the Pro. The Pro was more of an experiment, a quick and dirty doubling of the GPU that took advantage of the higher clock potential of the 14nm silicon. MS, going by their quotes intended the X to subvert the console cycle and be the start of the end of generations. They wanted a new CPU (but ultimately didn't get it), more RAM, etc etc. It was in all likelihood a much bigger project at MS that we know got more time, and likely got a lot more budget.

I think this new generation, as insiders have indicated, will show that similar timelines and budgets will result in similar products.

I think both consoles will be awesome but I have noticed a lot of times when someone mentions the One X did a better job tech and design wise (which is true in my opinion) people always blame the year gap. The team at MS deserved a lot of credit. Their design team has killed it lately.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah like I say though it is literally baseless speculation, the 2.0 ghz clock on the apu seems like a bad call for thermals and efficiency and I am just wondering why it is there. Perhaps it is just the aim and not the reality and the retail Chip will be around 1.8 which would be that RDNA sweet Spot for thermals.

Also one Thing to think of regarding RDNA. It also has a sweet Spot for bandwidth and efficiency of that bandwidth for the CUs. Not as bad as with gcn where adding CUs paßt a certain amount basically did nothing for Performance if you were bandwidth limited... But it still has it.
We have yet to do testing on it, but probably could Do it when larger RDNA Chips Come out. Basically see how adding more RDNA CUs scales with a steady bandwidth amount: like gcn there will be a number after which the relative increase in rendering Power for more CUs starts to decrease unless bandwidth is increased in a similar or even greater fashion.

Perhaps 36 CUs on RDNA is actually not just smart for yields, but also smart for the best bang for buck bandwidth efficiency... Of around less than 500 gb/s (sharing with CPU remember) And increasing the core frequency at 36 CUs at that bandwidth gives better saturation than at other CU counts with the same Bandwidth.
What about XSX with only 560GB/s (theoretical) for 12 tf ? It's not going to be bandwidth starved ? And also you are wrong about PS5 as Oberon B0 has about 550GB/s theoretical (530GB/s achieved) for 9.2 tf. Not 500GB/s theoretical.

XSX with 560GB/s theoretical is probably going to have max 540GB/s real bandwidth. If you take what is in the github as base for your analysis, like you did, then please take also the right numbers: the last model of Oberon.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, son. OP is packed with info. Good job! The title's a little underwhelming, though. :\

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I think both consoles will be awesome but I have noticed a lot of times when someone mentions the One X did a better job tech and design wise (which is true in my opinion) people always blame the year gap. The team at MS deserved a lot of credit. Their design team has killed it lately.

MS did great but you can't look at things in a bubble like what some people doing .
The $100 and year late of course had a effect on design and specs.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who really cares about numbers when this is what we're aiming for.

it's pre-rendered, running at 24 fps and basically 1600p if you ignore the black bars on top and bottom. or 6 million pixels instead of 8 million for native 4k.

if sony is 30% weaker, it will have to down to 4.1 million pixels or something close to 4kcb. but the problem is for gameplay, they will need to run it at 20% more frames per second. you will end up with 3.2 million pixels or something around 1200p with effects missing because pre-rendered inengine trailers never look as good as gameplay.

numbers matter when it comes to graphics. there is a reason switch cant run hellblade 2. they might get it to run at 100p and 2 fps but would anyone play it?

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
What about XSX with only 560GB/s (theoretical) for 12 tf ? It's not going to be bandwidth starved ? And also you are wrong about PS5 as Oberon B0 has about 550GB/s theoretical (530GB/s achieved) for 9.2 tf. Not 500GB/s theoretical.

XSX with 560GB/s theoretical is probably going to have max 540GB/s real bandwidth. If you take what is in the github as base for your analysis, like you did, then please take also the right numbers: the last model of Oberon.
He means that you'd have 500 for only the GPU, since the CPU needs some also.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
(Sharing with CPU) which is what I put in my post as well: effective GPU bandwidth is lower on an APU in realworld since the CPU needs memory too.

XseriesX will have that 'problem' as well.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Arden was actually there to be tested. I think they were preparing spreadsheets and scripts in anticipation of Arden. That was my take after looking through it for some time.
i cant believe they were storing this stuff in spreadsheets. surely that kind of stuff should go in a database.

if Flute had a 1.8 ghz gpu with 530 gbps of ram bandwidth. shouldnt a 2.0 ghz oberon have more? or at least need more?

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Gamers Nexus got a 5700 XT to 2450Mhz (12.5TF) on LN2 back in August, which put it on par with a RTX 2080. And that was with a poor overclock on the memory to only 14.64Gbps. Higher speed memory would probably put it well above 2080 performance. So, yeah. A 12TF XSX would definitely be on par or better than a 2080.

5700xt uses same exact chips as nvidia cards. From the looks of it, AMD went cheap on memory controllers.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Randy is such a wildcard that it's better to approach his tweet cautiously. Who knows what he's mad at Phil about.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Buildzoid on NAVI 21

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

Buildzoid rambles about Navi 21 performance possibilities. A good thought exercise for our discussions.

He talks about process advantages, power consumption of core, VRMs, memory, and memory bandwidth implications for performance. He also talks about the more stringent requirements for GDDR6, which people seem to overlook, particularly when talking about clamshell configurations.

Last edited:

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
i cant believe they were storing this stuff in spreadsheets. surely that kind of stuff should go in a database.

if Flute had a 1.8 ghz gpu with 530 gbps of ram bandwidth. shouldnt a 2.0 ghz oberon have more? or at least need more?
So very many excel sheets, lol. There are also commit logs, a few text files, the interns name, resume and picture, what he did certain days working, who his supervisors were, information on Renoir, MI100, and more sensitive stuff. The full repository shouldn't be reposted.

In terms of Flute yeah it is a bit of a mystery. Perhaps it was also tested with Ariel, the older iGPU.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Well it sounds like they aren't happy with Lockhart, but the fact that Blow specifically said the PS5 looks 'pretty good' should be a good sign.

These types of general comments without real context aren't particularly useful, but it is kinda funny because "pretty good" hardly sounds like a ringing endorsement either :)

Rylen

Feb 5, 2019
Just glad something is gonna be powerful.

My first prediction sort of nailed the latest Series X Rumors

3HMsdXe.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.