• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
It will be some time before adding storage is a norm imo, due to price and the availability of drives.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
From what Cerny just said, it sounds like Sony is just testing a bunch of drives, to make a soft whitelist and won't be blocking you from trying to use non-certified drives.

AKA it's even better than I thought. It sounds like there is NO CERTIFICATION REQUIRED.

zombiejames
You basically need a very fast PCIE 4.0 card. Those just barely launched a little while ago.
By year end there will be better options. (hopefully)

Dec 31, 2017
Why they chose an anti-consumer solution when their competition did not. This is not a hot take. Proprietary is bad. I remember how much Xbox 360 hard drives cost.
So I can buy expendable storage for my Series X at launch, but Sony has less space available at launch and doesn't specify when drives of 5.5GB will be available or how much they will cost?

Also people need to remember one thing, better drives = $$$, just look at prices on amazon or any other siteright now and the difference is quite big between a cheap brand and a Samsung for example.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
so the only drives that can be used at launch will only be sonys

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
You basically need a very fast PCIE 4.0 card. Those just barely launched a little while ago.
By year end there will be better options. (hopefully)
Yep, these SSDs will become common as time goes on. This is literally the ideal way to do this. I am so surprised, and pleased.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
probably gonna need top of the line ssd for this so I don't see this being cheaper than what ms is doing...

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm yeah Sony is supposedly "Anti-consumer" sure, but they definitely learned their listen with the vita Thank god.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
This is so good, especially when Gen4 gets even faster. Now for PC how can we replicate their I/O and other tricks/features to make full use of all that speed? That sounded so good but I doubt PC will have something like that any time soon. AMD this is your chance to .. well continue curb stomping Intel. Get us this stuff in motherboards, work with your MB partners. I want this in my next PC upgrade.

VGEsoterica

Dec 10, 2019
I am glad every manufacturer has gone to "just jam your own drive in there" designs. No ridiculous custom storage that costs 4X more because its locked down / a special form factor (I am looking at you PS Vita)

Dec 31, 2017
This is so good, especially when Gen4 gets even faster. Now for PC how can we replicate their I/O and other tricks/features to make full use of all that speed? That sounded so good but I doubt PC will have something like that any time soon. AMD this is your chance to .. well continue curb stomping Intel. Get us this stuff in motherboards, work with your MB partners. I want this in my next PC upgrade.
So they say not all nvme drives will fit in the PS5 because of size and that all drives will have to be certified and that they don't expect them in the near future to be available. Also, this from Eurogamer:

Also remember that extreme bandwidth PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives are likely to be very expensive - in the short term, at least.

So unless you are expecting to need more space in 2022 or later, you are screwed early on and might have to pay high prices anyway...

Hana-Bi

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
From what Cerny just said, it sounds like Sony is just testing a bunch of drives, to make a soft whitelist, and won't be blocking you from trying to use non-certified drives.

AKA it's even better than I thought. It sounds like there is NO CERTIFICATION REQUIRED. At least that's what I get from what he's saying.

zombiejames

Since the drives won't be as fast as the internal PS5, I kinda see a problem for games.

With XSX solution devs know at least what speed the internal or external storage will have...

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I can buy expendable storage for my Series X at launch, but Sony has less space available at launch and doesn't specify when drives of 5.5GB will be available or how much they will cost?

Also people need to remember one thing, better drives = $$$, just look at prices on amazon or any other siteright now and the difference is quite big between a cheap brand and a Samsung for example.

Don't be daft. No one is going to fill up 1TB on launch day. Everyone that follows PC tech knows these drives aren't that far off.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
So they say not all nvme drives will fit in the PS5 because of size and that all drives will have to be certified and that they don't expect them in the near future to be available. Also, this from Eurogamer:

Also remember that extreme bandwidth PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives are likely to be very expensive - in the short term, at least.

So unless you are expecting to need more space in 2022 or later, you are screwed early on and might have to pay high prices anyway...
I'm sure for size they are covering the worst case scenario. Not all NVMe's need a cooler, and the cooler that some come with can be removed (replaced). Though I guess not everyone will be ok with doing that.

For the price, because they are used in PS5 that price is going to drop (looking forward to this on PC, since only AMD new CPUs make good use of GEN 4 NVMe (maybe Intel has a new CPU that now use it, I haven't kept up with that part).

The prices make sense to me even now for GEN 4, but on PC not right now since games don't make use of it. But if you are a video editor, do scientific research, and such it will be very worth it. When PC games start doing the things PS5 will be doing I'll be ready to invest in those bad boys.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
So basically if I'm understanding everything right...there will be no way to expand the storage of the PS5 at launch for installing/running games? In the presentation Cerny said not to buy any expansion drives because none will be certified at launch.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
So basically if I'm understanding everything right...there will be no way to expand the storage of the PS5 at launch for installing/running games? In the presentation Cerny said not to buy any expansion drives because none will be certified at launch.

Cerny did say you could run your Ps4 library off a normal external HDD if you want, but you could also transfer it to your Ps5 hard drive as well.

So it does support extra storage at launch, but seems to be for BC.

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
Except it's currently not and brand new m2 drives over a TB will cost you past $200

One anywhere near as fast at 2TB is 399.99 USD on sale on newegg right now. Neither storage solution is perfect. Memory cards on one hand, incredibly expensive on the other.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
This is exactly the approach I mentioned yesterday in the XSX thread. Just makes sense. Once PC PcIE 4.0 drives catch up they will be dirt cheap.

The upcoming 970 Pro (or whatever number it is) from Samsung is apparently going to have insanely high speeds to it. Blowing everything else away.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ah, the thing Era members told me was impossible to accomplish in the Xbox Series X.

cool, cool

So I can stick a Sabrent Rocket PCIe 4.0 2TB in a PS5 just like I have a pair of in my PC.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Good to hear. The last thing we need is more proprietary stuff clogging up landfills once their use is exhausted.

Shame we can't replace the internal drive but it's better than nothing.

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Since the drives won't be as fast as the internal PS5, I kinda see a problem for games.

With XSX solution devs know at least what speed the internal or external storage will have...
They will have to be as fast he says. Actually faster, to allow for some overhead needed because their controller has some extra features. So that shouldn't be an issue.
Good to hear. The last thing we need is more proprietary stuff clogging up landfills once their use is exhausted.

Shame we can't replace the internal drive but it's better than nothing.
Yeah, that's the only thing that sucks. But at least hackers will probably eventually get it to boot from the external drive, meaning plenty of spare parts for the foreseeable future.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Cerny did say you could run your Ps4 library off a normal external HDD if you want, but you could also transfer it to your Ps5 hard drive as well.

So it does support extra storage at launch, but seems to be for BC.
Ahhhhh I see. The same approach with Series X (previous generation can still be run off an external USB drive). It'll be interesting to see how fast these PS5 certified drives launch and how much they'll cost.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It sound like you can put a Gen 4 SSD in that below par and the console will try to brute force it. There may be performance issues like running a slow hdd in games designed for faster SSDs. Not as sever as the below example though. It'll still be a Gen 4 ssd after all, not a HDD vs SSD situation.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
One anywhere near as fast at 2TB is 399.99 USD on sale on newegg right now. Neither storage solution is perfect. Memory cards on one hand, incredibly expensive on the other.
Not to mention. This isn't even the new PCI standard. So it will not even be that cheap. Expect well past 400 for a 2TB SSD at the same speeds and standards as the ps5.

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Ah okay. :) Won't be cheap then. :( At least in the beginning but that won't be a problem then. :)
Yeah, that's how it is. The proprietary drives for the XSX are hardly going to come cheap either though. In the long run, I feel fairly confident that Sony's strategy will give us cheaper drives.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
For those that worry about price, the price will come down over time like it always does with flash storage.

In 3-5 years you'll be able to find these at your local big box stores and get them for pretty cheap.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like a toss-up for the most part, because new SSD tech typically enters the market priced fairly high. The situation should improve over time, though, and as someone else mentioned, the drive can then be re-used in other hardware, which is a plus. I'm not particularly torn up about the XSX situation, either, though.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Well if the drives don't exist yet commercially in the form factor they are using, this definitely explains the BoM at $450. I would not be in the camp of expecting this to be a cheap machine ($399).

Hana-Bi

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah, that's how it is. The proprietary drives for the XSX are hardly going to come cheap either though. In the long run, I feel fairly confident that Sony's strategy will give us cheaper drives.

Yeah, I think so too. MS will probably have one more company beside Seagate but Sony has the whole PC market to profit from.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
No reason to make them custom... having third party drives certified will definitely drive down the price. More companies selling means lower price.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I love the idea. I wonder what reality is going to look like. Hopefully having more than 1 or 2 supported NVMes.