• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Although DualSense will allow for more realistic game experiences, creators will also need more time and know-how to create high quality vibrations. To reduce this burden, we have created a haptic vibration waveform design environment that anyone can use easily. In this way, we have not only developed a tool that allows game creators to design an impactful, natural and comfortable vibration waveform in fewer steps, but also created a method of almost automatically generating vibration patterns from a game's sound effects.

The focus of our development was deep neural network technology, but the problem was that there were few past studies that applied this technology to the sense of touch rather than to images and sounds. In the beginning, we spent many days just agonizing over the data. Later, we studied and examined different algorithms while getting advice from experts. This allowed us to automate the generation of high-quality vibration waveforms to a certain extent, making it look as if they were created manually by the creators.

Source:

Jam my adaptive triggers if old.

Last edited:

SpiderLink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have to admit, I'm getting a bit tired of piecemeal bits of information here and there with this next generation. I'm sure it'll be great but I feel like we know as much now as we did a month ago! Here's hoping September is better.

Seedy87

Jan 4, 2018
I hope others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure this sounds similar to how developers can implement HD Rumble with the Joy-Con?

datwr

Nov 5, 2017
Anybody remember Sonys dancing speaker?
Think we are going to get some dancing controllers next?

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
If I am even understanding this correctly, I'd rather not have the sound per say replicated as a vibration, but more like an accompanied bass effect. I am probably not describing it right, but yeah.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have to admit, I'm getting a bit tired of piecemeal bits of information here and there with this next generation. I'm sure it'll be great but I feel like we know as much now as we did a month ago! Here's hoping September is better.
Do not, my friends become addicted to new console info - it will take hold of you and you will resent its absence.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Other stuff from this report:
Egv1GHTUYAAvN1w.jpg

Egv1GReVgAAbTMN.jpg

Egv0w7mVoAAlfnK.jpg

Egv0xGjUYAAA_rz.jpg

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
gbp-interact-pulse-pak-9.jpg

Stealing something that was already done on a Nintendo product! Typical Sony /s

But I do hope that it helps to standardised rumble.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
When will the actually start to market these consoles..? Like it's September and we still don't know much. Like we've been hearing about the DualSense and it sounds cool
But cmon get to the main deets now

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I hope this doesn't become the cheap way out of setting up rumble in your game.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I hope others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure this sounds similar to how developers can implement HD Rumble with the Joy-Con?
similar but different in ways. this is a full on coil and should be a larger implementation. there was a whole thread explaining this here:
www.resetera.com

Understanding the difference between DualSense's Adaptive Triggers and Xbox's Impulse Triggers (they are not the same)

It's weird to me to see people still comparing Xbox's Impulse Triggers and DualSense's Adaptive Triggers like they are one in the same, when there is so much information out there about each. Maybe it's that both have a "marketable" name for them? They're nothing alike, though. Underneath...

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope this is right, but I need to moan.

Tired of Sony having some cool gadgets in their controllers and it largely being ignored by multiplat publishers. Great to have the capability just annoying it generally only works on a handful of titles.

This better not be another touchpad or Sixaxis - which still exist in the DS5 but will they get better support?

Soz for the tangent but with stuff like flick stick we should demand Sony raise adoption levels.

ps3ud0 8)

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
This will be of limited use. Yes you could make the controller pulse to the rhythm of the character's heart in "radar mode" or whatever you want to call it or other specific scenarios . It will work for those things so it's a nice (free, since it's software) gimmick.

I don't see however, how you can really set a general rule that says something like "anything lower than 20Khz (sounds that belong to the subwoofer) makes the controller pulse."

It will have to be more deliberate than that I think.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I really hope this is right, but I need to moan.

Tired of Sony having some cool gadgets in their controllers and it largely being ignored by multiplat publishers. Great to have the capability just annoying it generally only works on a handful of titles.

This better not be another touchpad or Sixaxis - which still exist in the DS5 but will they get better support?

Soz for the tangent but with stuff like flick stick we should demand Sony raise adoption levels.

ps3ud0 8)
literally in the OP
To reduce this burden, we have created a haptic vibration waveform design environment that anyone can use easily. In this way, we have not only developed a tool that allows game creators to design an impactful, natural and comfortable vibration waveform in fewer steps, but also created a method of almost automatically generating vibration patterns from a game's sound effects.

this means that they have tools to make is very easy to setup the rumble. its here to stay and be utilized.

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
You missed out half of the major detail in that section:

Although DualSense will allow for more realistic game experiences, creators will also need more time and know-how to create high quality vibrations. To reduce this burden, we have created a haptic vibration waveform design environment that anyone can use easily. In this way, we have not only developed a tool that allows game creators to design an impactful, natural and comfortable vibration waveform in fewer steps, but also created a method of almost automatically generating vibration patterns from a game's sound effects.

The focus of our development was deep neural network technology, but the problem was that there were few past studies that applied this technology to the sense of touch rather than to images and sounds. In the beginning, we spent many days just agonizing over the data. Later, we studied and examined different algorithms while getting advice from experts. This allowed us to automate the generation of high-quality vibration waveforms to a certain extent, making it look as if they were created manually by the creators.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
That's genius considering many developers don't really utilize much gamepad features. Will help all of them. Good job Sony.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
literally in the OP

this means that they have tools to make is very easy to setup the rumble. its here to stay and be utilized.
I wasn't just referring to just the haptics if you read my post.

I was more talking about tech they've already introduced, failed to be adopted by multiplat and then theyve decided to keep them in and keep the complexity of the controller and therefore the costs to the consumer.

ps3ud0 8)

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Wow more controller news so excited for this NEXT GEN CONSOLE damn man, it sounds like I'm buying a freaking elite controller for my freaking PS4 at this point

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I wasn't just referring to just the haptics if you read my post.

ps3ud0 8)
well if sonys largest game release TLOU2 has motion aiming it sounds like they are looking to have things improved. also i mean there is a reason they made astrobots playroom free to show off the controller, and more than likely give devs a ton of ideas of usage.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's not the fact that developers can use game sounds to create haptic feedback that makes the process easy for them, I think, because I'm pretty sure that's not something that's new. It's the fact that Sony has apparently created devs tools for doing so that are streamlined and easy to use.

Edit: which is exactly what the title of the thread implies, given the context. duh. I misinterpreted it

Seedy87

Jan 4, 2018
similar but different in ways. this is a full on coil and should be a larger implementation. there was a whole thread explaining this here:
www.resetera.com

Understanding the difference between DualSense's Adaptive Triggers and Xbox's Impulse Triggers (they are not the same)

It's weird to me to see people still comparing Xbox's Impulse Triggers and DualSense's Adaptive Triggers like they are one in the same, when there is so much information out there about each. Maybe it's that both have a "marketable" name for them? They're nothing alike, though. Underneath...

Great, thank you - I'll give it a read!

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
well if sonys largest game release TLOU2 has motion aiming it sounds like they are looking to have things improved. also i mean there is a reason they made astrobots playroom free to show off the controller, and more than likely give devs a ton of ideas of usage.
You're right, but I think it's fair to moan and stuff they should be encouraging if not enforcing outside of their first party developers. I know there will be issues with accessibility but options are options and ideas like the Sixaxis are now what over 10 years old. I don't think there's much more than 10 games that uses it.

Anyway as I said it's a tangent. Appreciate the replies.

ps3ud0 8)

Oct 27, 2017
Generating vibrations from sound...but sound is already vibrations. So generating vibrations from other vibrations.

If you stack the waveforms correctly while playing Astro's Playroom, the controller will snap apart in your hands and the trapped astro-bot inside will be freed. Six of these astro-bots will be gold-colored, and will be your ticket to the Sony Playstation factory. Perhaps one of these six (forming what will be called the...uh...axis of six, or Six Axis) will then be chosen to run Playstation starting with the Playstation 6.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
They are similar but the DualSense version is supposed to be even more advanced.

Old controllers use ERM (Eccentric Rotating Mass) rotors (which is literally a rotating weight that produces vibrations), while the latest Xbox controllers use a more advanced version of ERM which MS termed Impulse Triggers (essentially using smaller ERM rotors behind triggers). Then Nintendo launched the Switch which uses a more advanced "vibration" method called LRA (Linear Resonant Actuator), which moves a motor linearly instead of rotating it, to produce vibrations that are faster and more refined. It's also what Apple has been using on their devices (Taptic Engine).

Now, the DualSense is using an even more advanced method of LRA (using Voice Coil Actuators) which should allow for even more refined "vibrations" that cover a very wide range. So again, the solution Sony is using belongs to the same family as Nintendo's and Apple's implementations but is taking things one step further.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
This does sound really cool, and I am genuinely curious how well all this will come together eventually. There's a lot of cool potential. I do quite enjoy the rumble triggers on my Xbox One controller and this seems like an interesting evolution of that.

Definitely not a necessity, but cool. I'm sure many first-party titles will have interesting applications of the tech, at least.

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
As an example, you could feed in The Last of Us Part II's thunder sound effects and a properly tuned deep learning algorithm would automatically determine a haptic feedback waveform with just the parts of thunder that you'd feel through your body. It might remove the initial crackle, keep the deep echoing boom and make other adjustments work optimally within the vibration frequencies the voice coil actuators can reproduce.

Human audio engineers could do this manually with even more precise results but through a 30+ hour game with lots of unique situations you might want to automate many of them.

Last edited:

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me of the way bass shakers work (look up Buttkicker if you donlt know about this). Except here the devs will be able to bypass the music and only use the relevant sound effects. This could be cool if it simplifies workflow while offering more precise vibrations.

In sim software on PC, it's also possible to use custom sine waves to feed the bass shakers based on data extracted from the game (number of G, engine RPM etc).

Oct 27, 2017
As I always say, Sony NEEDS to have one of their 1st party games use this feature when it launches. Not as a later patch where it gets some small fanfare, but when the game is being shown off pre-launch. That's what gets gamers on the system excited about the possibilities

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
As I always say, Sony NEEDS to have one of their 1st party games use this feature when it launches. Not as a later patch where it gets some small fanfare, but when the game is being shown off pre-launch. That's what gets gamers on the system excited about the possibilities
This is already confirmed for all of its 1P, and some third party too(moneyhat or marketing deal).

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Exactly like HD-Rumble with the joycons but I guess more expanded upon