• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MRYEAH

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The hall across the room
I want to revisit the launch games of this current console generation.
I bought both consoles on their launch days along with a good library of games.
I was excited it was the first time since PS2 i had decided I wanted to experience what day one felt like in the gaming space.
What I want this thread to be about is your initial impressions you recall in 2013 with both the XB1 and PS4.
Did they feel brand new or were they just better looking updates?
With the expectation of a new generation this fall, I'm very curious to revisit these games to see how I feel about them after time has passed.
I would appreciate contributions from others about how they think about the launch releases.
The plan is at least to do one each month with a video included with a post that preceeds it depending on the length of the game
I look foward to any feedback from the community.

The List

PS4 Exclusives
  • Resogun
  • Knack
  • Killzone Shadowfall
XB1 Exclusives
  • Ryse Son of Rome
  • Dead Rising 3
  • Forza 5
  • Killer Instinct
  • Lococycle
  • Max Curse of The Brothrehood
  • Crimson Dragon
  • Powerstar Golf
Multi-platform
  • Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag
  • FIFA 15
  • NBA2K 14
  • Call of Duty Ghosts
  • Contrast
  • Lego Marvel Super Heroes
  • Need For Speed Rivals
  • Madden 25
  • Battlefield 4
Now I will take votes for the first game please just reply which game from the above list and if no votes I will just start the process.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
Resogun is the best PS4 launch game and is quite cheap on sales

Knack is trash

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Warframe was one of the better & interesting PS4 launch games that snuck up on people. Today it has developed to something quite good.

220px-Warframe_Cover_Art.png

From the list above: The first four or five levels of Killzone Shadowfall (the first half, second half is borderline broken) is a solid shooter with some great visuals.
The multiplayer as well is quite solid.

Last edited:

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I honestly felt Lukewarm about the PS4 launch once the shiny toy feeling faded away. Battlefield 4 was the best thing about it and that game was broken at launch. Shortly after i buillt my first gaming PC with a 780 ti and 4700k and the rest was history.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I really liked Killzone when it first came out, especially the multiplayer. Had a lot of fun.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I picked up both systems at launch. I bought Dead Rising 3 and Killer Instinct on Xbox. Picked up Killzone on PS4, but quickly sold it (it was awful). I had pre-ordered the PS4 since I like buying all systems at launch, but I believe it was also because Infamous was supposed to be a launch title instead of it being released at a later time.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Legit one of the most underwhelming launches I can recall. Some okay stuff but everything was also on last gen and sufficient there. 2013 and 2014 were both years I was very happy to own a Wii U, didn't get a current gen system till well into 2015 and probably could have gone longer.

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
I had Ryse, DR3 and BF4 and was quite happy with them.

All 3 felt shiny at the time.

jikevgw

Jan 22, 2020
Ryse , killer instinct, forza 5 , dead rising 3 , crimson dragon and resogun. I'll be good

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I just played Resogun the other day. Trying to play some quick pick up n play games right now.

Can't go wrong with that game.

The consoles felt brand new, better experience for the most part. The XBO UI was really bad at launch. Everything blended together too much, I had many navigation errors, lol.

3rd party basically carried the consoles at launch. First game that wowed me was Infamous 2nd Son.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I did not enjoy Killzone whatsoever when it first came out. It felt dated, like it was pulled through a vortex from 2008 straight into 2013. I couldn't imagine what it's like with an extra 7 years piled onto it.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I came home with my bundle that had kzsf, knack & bf4.

Set it up then my wife took over and played knack for 4 or 5 hours then I went to bed.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I had a really good time with the Xbox Launch.

I remember I left work to bring it in the house and load all the games/updates then I went back to work.

I loved kinect and I loved all the stupid UI features like Live Tiles, Snap, OneGuide and Voice Commands.

Ryse, Dead Rising 3, and Killer Instinct were all really fun launch titles.
I used to follow the weekly KI streams and would get hyped for all the new characters dropping, it was easily my most played launch game.

Then Titanfall and PvZ: GW in that launch window....

Also Xbox Fitness, I used the shit out of that from the day it launched to the day they put it to bed.

Its kind of crazy how you come to appreciate these lower quality games when the pool of games is much smaller...but yeah I played the shit out of all of these games,.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I remember playing Lococycle at the Microsoft Store some time before the consoles launched and the MS rep seemed legitimately disappointed that I wasn't having the greatest time of my life.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Man, I had a really good time with the Xbox Launch.

I remember I left work to bring it in the house and load all the games/updates then I went back to work.

I loved kinect and I loved all the stupid UI features like Live Tiles, Snap, OneGuide and Voice Commands.

Ryse, Dead Rising 3, and Killer Instinct were all really fun launch titles.
I used to follow the weekly KI streams and would get hyped for all the new characters dropping, it was easily my most played launch game.

Then Titanfall and PvZ: GW in that launch window....

Also Xbox Fitness, I used the shit out of that from the day it launched to the day they put it to bed.

Its kind of crazy how you come to appreciate these lower quality games when the pool of games is much smaller...but yeah I played the shit out of all of these games,.
To think if I went with the Xbox One at launch instead of PS4 I might have been still a console gamer. Xbox had a much stronger launch.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty terrible launch year. I remember surviving mostly on Warframe and Black Flag.

Andrei Rublev

Jun 8, 2018
I had the Xbox One on launch day. Got it with Forza Motorsport 5, Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome, and Battlefield 4.

In short:

Forza Motorsport 5: it looked clean and the gameplay was solid. It was a massive step backward in content compared to Forza Motorsport 4. While I thought the graphics looked nice, it didn't have anything that necessarily blew my socks off.

Ryse: Son of Rome: Almost the complete opposite experience from Forza Motorsport 5. The graphics were really stunning to me at the time (I still think it looks superb) and I thought that it was a real showcase of what the next-generation could accomplish. Gameplay was mediocre at best and I only finished it because the graphics looked so great from start to finish. The story wasn't too bad either.

Dead Rising 3: Looked horrible graphically out of the gate, it was almost a little embarrassing. I felt like there was very little aliasing and the entire color palette of the game made it look like a game out of the 360 era. I couldn't get into the gameplay at all, so this was actually one of the very few games that I sold during the entire generation.

Battlefield 4: Ended up being the best game at launch. The graphics were good and impressive but the multiplayer was flat out fun. I easily put in double or triple the hours into Battlefield 4 than I did the other three games combined. It was really the only great game on the Xbox One for months in my opinion.

I think from the Xbox One launch titles I would be fascinated to see you do a game on Ryse: Son of Rome, Battlefield 4, and Killer Instinct.

TuMekeNZ

Oct 27, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
For the Xbox One launch here in NZ, MS put on a big party in Auckland on the waterfront with heaps of game stations, EB stores so you could buy additional things to your already pre-ordered stuff, and live bands. Even Kim Dot-Com was there lol.
Once midnight hit we got our consoles etc. and headed home with the Sky Tower (tallest building in NZ) glowing in Xbox green. Was a great night!!

The PS4 launch a week later had us lining up at our local EB haha. I know Sony did have a launch party but was very exclusive by the sounds.

At launch I picked up;

X1 Day One Edition with Fifa.
BF4
Ryse
Forza 5
Killer Instinct (Digital Edition)
Dead Rising 3

PS4
Killzone
Resogun (via PS+)
That was it really other than downloading all the free to play stuff haha.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will admit it was fun playing Black Flag at launch, in fact it was the only PS4 game I had until I think inFamous.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Damn XB1 had a fairly solid line up. It's a shame with their horrible PR gaffes at the time and the performance disparity that that was ignored.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Black Flag was the best all-around experience at launch: it had an insane amount of content and it ran at a solid 1080p30, which was a massive upgrade at the time.

KZ: Shadowfall was great too, if a little half-baked. I'd love to revisit that now.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Black Flag really saved the day for the PS4 at launch. Played that and Resogun a ton. Shadowfall was a nice showcase too but ultimately a little flat overall.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I very much enjoyed Killzone and could see the generational leap straight away. Resogun was fun for a free game but I'd never pay for it.

Black Flag was a great time.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I played Ryse like a year ago and I actually really liked it. And it's still a looker. No idea what the people didn't like about it. Especislly since the rest of those launch games are rather meh

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im about to boot up killzone shadowfalll and play some resogun and forza 5. Will report back.

i remember the ps4 launch night like it was last night. I had worked that morning, but instead of going home i went straight to my buddy's house. By that point my ps4 was paid off, and i had already picked up killzone shadow fall and knack. I went to get my ticket at gamestop to come back at 9 oclock, and picked up an extra ps4 controller as well. Me and my buddy walked around some stores and got dinner. He had his pre ordered at a different gamestop so he went there afterward. I got in line around 9pm. I was the first person in line. In the two hours that followed others lined up
Behind me. We all chatted, everyone was friendly. Some were excited about the games. Others, to flip the consoles on ebay. We were finally let in the store to get our consoles. Thank goodness too because it was freezing. I Strapped the system into my passenger seat. Everyone applauded as folks walked out with their consoles. I got
Home, hooked it up, and played a lot of resogun and contrast. I actually ended up really disliking shadow fall. Knack was okay!

i didnt get an xbox one at launch but i went to the microsoft store midnight launch with my friends anyway. The atmosphere was even more exciting than the ps4 launches some how. I played demos for forza, and dead rising with my friends while they waited for their consoles

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox had a solid line up.
PS had Resogun and Killzone which I feel was underrated a bit. It was quite good.

Hardware wise
Sony really designed a slick machine.

It has been a funny generation. I would rank it :
PS2/Xbox/GC
PS1/N64/Sega
PS4/XboxOne/WiiU
PS3/Xbox360/Wii

in regards to generations.

Individual systems it would be a different story.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
man.....resogun for the short period.

But warframe was HUGE, that game was a time sinker and just sucked you in. We played hundreds of hours on warframe till games started coming out. So much fun

OP
OP
MRYEAH

MRYEAH

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The hall across the room
Warframe was one of the better & interesting PS4 launch games that snuck up on people. Today it has developed to something quite good.

From the list above: The first four or five levels of Killzone Shadowfall (the first half, second half is borderline broken) is a solid shooter with some great visuals.

Your spot on about Warframe I just wish I could have recorded footage from the early years since it's a completely different experience now.
I will still consider doing an analysis on it though since it's a great games as service example

Thanathorn

Dec 10, 2019
I'm a Crimson Dragon apologist. I honestly really enjoyed that game. I remember being excited about the Xbox One launch but after 2-3 months found myself using my Xbox 360 more and more. By 2015 i had pretty much retired my 360 once the Xbox One game selection improved.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Killer Instinct was the launch day highlight. Easy. Incredible game. Still holds up as one of the best fighting games of this gen and went from strength to strength with updates. It's a massive game now.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

I played Warframe for a good 2 years during the ps4's infancy

OP
OP
MRYEAH

MRYEAH

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The hall across the room
Launch window for tier 2 countries (lol) was even better, Sunset Overdrive and Horizon 2.
Played Sunset Overdrive last year to 100%
It's my favorite Xbox exclusive this past generation
Forza Horizon 2 might still be my favorite Forza or at least I put the most time into
Titan Fall is the game after launch I adored and was tempted to put on the list since I have no idea if there is still a community playing it or if they have found new ways to play it

Deleted member 50761

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
AC Black Flag was the first game I played on my PS4 day one, that took me into Christmas when I got a couple new games.