• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Option A - Sell games to over 100 Million Customers.

Option B - Sell games to a Million Customers.

I would imagine most publishers are going with Option A for at least a year or two.

If the PS5's install base is *only* 1 million by 2022/23, Sony will be in some deep shit.

The marketing worked though. It appealed to the "base" desperate to justify being on board day 1. It's what they wanted to hear.
Meanwhile this is seems very much as I originally expected, and proves you can get "great looking" games regardless of an older system being supported

If Shadow of Mordor, Destiny, and Dragon Age were anything to go by, I don't think I'd want to be playing cross-gen games on the older systems a few months from now. You people forget how quickly the port quality went down for the last gen versions of games.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
And Microsoft announced a dozen next gen exclusives for after 2021.

So maybe I am mistaken? Sony starts off as next gen only and goes cross gen while Xbox starts cross gen and goes next gen only.

Or you know, both are supporting cross gen which is a backtrack for Sony.

There's no backtracking here. You clearly didn't even read the article (or at the very least the updated thread title lol...) They absolutely never said they wouldn't support cross-gen titles on their console.

MS won't be having first party cross-gen titles for the first couple of years... Sony already does... Their strategies are completely different.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Trolling, console wars
People just want to hear some good news after confirmation their box was almost cancelled 7 years ago. Just let them enjoy it.

ninezeroone

Oct 27, 2017
So that promise to keep supporting the XBO with Microsoft's first party studios amounted to Halo only?
Psychonauts 2 will also be on XB1 but that was already announced as coming to current gen. As far as new announcements Everwild, Fable, Forza, State of Decay 3, and Avowed are all (currently) marked as Series X|S + PC only.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
They got crucified for not having a single next gen exclusive game anywhere around their launch lineup. As they should have.

Before Halo was delayed their were getting tons of flak for saying they planned on supporting XBO and Series X|S, before any launch games were labeled as 'launch' by Sony or Xbox.

Haha so you even admitted it! Jesus Christ. This shit is reallll stupid.

I read the article Beavis; I just asked you how you think my opinion is supposed to be changed.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The PS4 and PS4 Pro are in millions of households, production on the PS5 consoles are likely going to be slower than anticipated going forward due to COVID and developers are clearly able to release acceptable versions of their imminent releases if titles like Spider-Man: Miles Morales are any indication. This is not only expected, but it's probably a good idea on Sony's part.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Ragnarok is probably cross-gen as well...
5qJu2aQ.gif

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah title is kinda misleading.

Is there any info on whether GT7 is crossgen? Hoping it's not.

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
Before Halo was delayed their were getting tons of flak for saying they planned on supporting XBO and Series X|S, before any launch games were named by Sony or Xbox.

Right. Because they were basically saying all our first party games will be cross-gen the first couple of years.

Sony has next-gen exclusive games mixed in with cross-gen games. It's different strategies.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. My most hated trend after MTX and GaaS. Cross-gen should never have been born.

It's not really a trend, video games have been cross generation since the 80s. It was quite common for games to release on as many different platforms as possible all the way back to the early 80s. The only difference now is that platform holders don't seem to be dropping their older platforms like a rock.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
looking at the original quote (and i use machine translation so if anyone can translate better that will be appreciated), i believe the whole premise of the quote is misunderstood, it seems to be about forward compatibiltiy of PS4 games getting PS5 support, and Sony turning to developers making PS4 only games and asks them to also support PS5 in order to accelerate the transition, and for that they will also use next gen only titles to help accelerate said transition as well? Again if someone can translate and see the specific context please do.

The quote was not about asking developers making PS5 games to also support PS4 from what i can tell.

Oct 30, 2017
I've been reading about the PS 10 year lifecycle language for fifteen years now lol

Good thing Jim Ryan didn't get quoted in this article or else the ire would be even higher lmao

MordinSolus

May 1, 2020
Little did they know they coulda just said some dumbshit like, "I believe in #Generations!" and everyone including gullible gaming press would just not question that vague ass statement that makes no sense.

Let's be honest, MS would be crucified if they played it like did, that's just how it is.
Is this your first console generation change or something? Every generation has some cross gen games for a couple years. How has "we believe in generations" been shown to not be true? Unlike the competition, they have next gen exclusive games at launch and coming soon that look great, and they have far more new things, like a usual generational shift, a new UI and new controller with a bunch of new features.

Oct 27, 2017
One thing that must be noticed is that Tweaktown's article straight up uses transcripts from the original Japanese article translated via Google Translate. No other translation work was done.

For those interested, this is the original Japanese article - https://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/series/rt/1288103.html
Adding to this is a translation of the relevant section of this very expansive article. Translation by DeepL
Compatibility is a "prerequisite," with cross-generations with PS4 in mind

The PS5 has a "compatibility feature" that allows it to run PS4 games. In the old days, the PS2 had PS1 compatibility, and with the PS3, only the early models had PS2 compatibility on hardware. Later, until PS4, compatibility with the past was shifted to a focus on "cloud compatibility," partly due to the change in CPU architecture to x86 systems.

The PS5, like the PS4, runs on an AMD processor. This would have made it easier to maintain compatibility. In fact, quite a bit of PS4 software runs directly on the PS5. What did we know about the development of compatibility?

Ito: To be honest, I wasn't aware that we had done anything special to make the PS5 compatible. Of course, the processor generation has changed, so we had to fine-tune this aspect, but PS5 was developed with compatibility in mind from the beginning, and it was a major premise that we wouldn't change from x86.

Nishino: In terms of compatibility, it's important to run PS4 titles on PS5, but we also insisted on forward compatibility (supplying PS4 with the same titles as PS5).

Our current assumption is that the transition from PS4 to PS5 is expected to take about three years. In the meantime, how do we make sure that people will continue to buy games on PS4? Will the games we buy be playable on PS5? That's the key.

At a certain point in time, we asked developers to develop games based on the assumption that they would be able to cross-generate between PS4 and PS5. Of course, we also need to improve the library to make that easier.

I'm a little concerned about this in terms of "compatibility.

The PS4 had "mini-apps" that worked within a different framework than games, such as video streaming apps, and the PS5 also has a collection of these apps in a tab called "Media". Currently, we can't show you screenshots because we haven't gotten permission to release them yet, but we're planning on being able to use multiple video streaming services.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

tmac456

May 27, 2020
Is this your first console generation change or something? Every generation has some cross gen games for a couple years. How has "we believe in generations" been shown to not be true? Unlike the competition, they have next gen exclusive games at launch and coming soon that look great, and they have far more new things, like a usual generational shift, a new UI and new controller with a bunch of new features.

Logic and reasoning is unacceptable. Stop it.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I mean EA has supported the PS2, PS3, PSP and Vita longer than Sony has with FIFA.
Uhh,... I feel you, sports game can be both casual and hardcore. No reason to stop bringing those titles out if people keep buying them. It's Sony's job to create a big platform so that those companies can keep selling games at those numbers, and the best way to do so is by exclusive games.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
OK, so with the questionable translation of this (as brought up in this thread) as well as the fact that this thread has devolved into hostilities, petty drive-bys, and platform wars, we are now going to lock it up. If a better article with a more thorough translation gets posted, feel free to create a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.