• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I blame the responses at this point lol ignore it. Although I do wonder how ppl are gonna use the samey card next year since it's probably one of their most varied years

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Indeed.

I understand Aaron. I remember swinging from buildings as Aloy and fighting robot animals as Spider-Man. Detroit is an excellent dissection of the discrimination of Colossi and watching the Wanderer solving Android crimes was pretty excellent and they all felt the same.
Thanks for that.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone at Sony must get fired. How did you waste money to let studio create their own engines for years and then all your games look samey to Stephen Totilo and Aaron D.?

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Ehh...it's more of a feeling than anything else.

Kinda like how military shooters can look pretty interchangeable to the untrained eye.

Like I said, not throwing shade. I fully understand that character action games just aren't my thing.

Either way, I'm happy that Sony fans are happy.

Sorry for the derail.
All games feel the same. I mean...you're using the same controller to play them. The same TV to view them. /s

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
"They all look the same" is a way to say "I want a FPS"? Because makes no sense

Oct 27, 2017
Sony only had 2 exclusives I enjoyed this year - Spiderman and Tetris Effect. But that's still two more than MS or Nintendo had. I honestly have no idea what MS is even doing anymore.

I wouldn't throw SoC in there, but Spidey, GoW, Horizon, Infamous: SS, and Uncharted 4 all look the same to me.

Spiderman is basically inFamous if inFamous didnt completely suck.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I hope you guys are ready for a redux of the "all Sony games look the same" come April when Days Gone releases.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
It was a very good year.

I found myself playing less games but playing the better ones for longer. It started early in the year when I went for the Shadow of the Colossus plat.

I'd usually finish then move on to something else but that needed about 5 playthroughs.

I've really enjoyed the 2 Yakuza games a year too. Probably my favourite series.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
While Sony is rea
Sony only had 2 exclusives I enjoyed this year - Spiderman and Tetris Effect. But that's still two more than MS or Nintendo had. I honestly have no idea what MS is even doing anymore.

MS is playing catch up. Nintendo had great games too.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017

MS is rebuilding. Them doubling their first party studios in a year was pretty evident of this.

Oct 31, 2017

Ehhhh.... I mean, fun traversal through a city, sure, as they're both but the art direction (Spider-Man's colors popped versus inFamous' dreary look), the powers, the combat, it all felt different.

What Spider-Man did do was make me wish more time was spent with fulfilling side missions in inFamous. Sure, it wouldn't have saved the combat, which was more simplistic than Spidey, but at least it would have complemented driving the DUP out of districts, which I think was a good idea but ended up being the only side content.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I blame the responses at this point lol ignore it. Although I do wonder how ppl are gonna use the samey card next year since it's probably one of their most varied years
Who needs reason when you can just say something and believe it anyway? Kotaku brought up climbing towers even though only one of Sony's exclusives this year even came close to that trope and even then, you never really climbed towers in Spider-Man.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Infamous and Spidey look completely different despite both being superhero games. Art direction is what differentiates a game's looks. I can't imagine looking at this:

God-Of-War-House.jpg

And this:

81eLVATj1ML._SL1500_.jpg

And going whoa, which game is which?
My favourite part of GOW ilwas when Kratos pumped round after round of lead into Baldur's face.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
How does God of War, Spiderman and Shado of the Colossus feels the same? This doesn't make any sense.

To me it's similar in a way to how people say "oh Battlefield and CoD, clones lol". If you're a fan of those you can see big differences between them, if you don't really care much for that genre you'll just get people saying "meh minor differences, basically the same".

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
This was a great year for PlayStation and their first-party studios, definitely. They had more games that interested me than MS and Nintendo combined. God of War in particular was absolutely fantastic!

I do feel it isn't all perfect tho. The way name change has been implemented is strange and leaves a lot to be desired, and their lack of any kind of legacy (As in PS1-3) support for PS4 is really disheartening as a longtime PlayStation fan (there's also the PS Classic debacle, but that's a separate Console and discussion from this). I also feel that despite now offering downloads for PS4 titles (which was a very good move) PS NOW still lags behind Gamepass for me as far as the quality of it's offerings are concerned. Still, Sony's priorities and Game output are different from MS, so it makes sense I suppose. Their stance on crossplay softening for certain titles is also a step in the right direction, but I want crossplay across all games.

All in all, it was PS4's best in terms of sales and software, no doubt. They continue to be dominant for a reason, and that's good. I only wish they would step up their services and features, and listen to their fanbase more on what they want out of PlayStation (besides great games of course, which they are already delivering on). Regardless, here's to a bright future for PlayStation!

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
To me it's similar in a way to how people say "oh Battlefield and CoD, clones lol". If you're a fan of those you can see big differences between them, if you don't really care much for that genre you'll just get people saying "meh minor differences, basically the same".
Wouldn't that mean the same for all nintendo games? Mario Tennis, Odyssey, Smash, Kirby, Yoshi, Toad all must use the same engine bc the design all look the same lol

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017

It still not the same thing though, the analogy you used highlights First Person Shooters whereas the games in question are quite literally different genres with different mechanics and controls.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles

So just because some people say some ignant things over there, it's aight to say some ignant things over here. Gotchu, gotchu.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
"They all look the same" is a way to say "I want a FPS"? Because makes no sense
100%. I guess it's an interesting way of decrying the fact that they're all 3rd person games, but I vastly prefer 3rd person over first person, and first person is typically insanely well covered by multiplatform publishers. imo Sony has a winning strategy with their studios, they just need to keep up what they're doing. They absolutely do not need an FPS.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I found myself playing less games but playing the better ones for longer. It started early in the year when I went for the platinum trophy for Shadow of the Colossus.

I'd usually finish then move on to something else, but that needed about 5 playthroughs.

I really wanted to climb the castle to see the secret garden and to be able to walk across the bridge, and I was surprised to see that it took quite a lot of effort to do so...

Three months and four playthroughs later, and with thanks to the queens sword to help quicken the proceedings, I had just about enough grip to reach the top!

Whilst the reward for the long walk across the bridge was a little bit underwhelming, I enjoyed exploring the secret garden and felt pleased to finally see it after playing the original game on the PS2, the remaster on the PlayStation 3 as well as the fantastic remake on my PS4 Pro earlier this year. It's a timeless masterpiece.

As for this thread in question, it has indeed been an excellent year for the PlayStation 4.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
I love in GoW when you unlock the M16 and then hop on your motorbike and race to the top of the mountain

Oct 31, 2017
Indeed.

I understand Aaron. I remember swinging from buildings as Aloy and fighting robot animals as Spider-Man. Detroit is an excellent dissection of the discrimination of Colossi and watching the Wanderer solving Android crimes was pretty excellent and they all felt the same.
captain-america.gif

For real rho' that Kotaku article was straight from Bizzaro world.

Last edited:

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
Thanks for posting this. I really needed it after reading that mind-numbing Kotaku take—which took a few minutes with a butter knife to pry my eyeballs downward and back into their proper positions afterward.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Wouldn't that mean the same for all nintendo games? Mario Tennis, Odyssey, Smash, Kirby, Yoshi, Toad all must use the same engine bc the design all look the same lol

If they're similar genres, look similar and play somewhat similar then it would be fair to say that, to some extent. Tbh I don't care much for Nintendo games so I probably wouldn't comment on them like that anyway.

It still not the same thing though, the analogy you used highlights First Person Shooters whereas the games in question are quite literally different genres with different mechanics and controls.

They're cinematic 3rd person action-adventure games. I'm not having a go at them, because I like some of them, but there's nothing wrong with saying they're similar.

So just because some people say some ignant things over there, it's aight to say some ignant things over here. Gotchu, gotchu.

I wouldn't call it ignorant. They're just not that into these types of games so to them they are samey.

Oct 31, 2017
It's always about the games, not hardware.

Though I do think it's a better piece of hardware, not giving me weird Disc Read Error issues as the PS2 did and not being insanely hard to develop for as the PS3 was.

That's the thing with the PS2, which actually goes to your point. It had a great library, but my God, the base PS2 was a piece of garbage.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
PSVR also hitting its stride this year. Im interested for some PSVR numbers after the holidays