• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Its funny to think back on the "No body wants consoles anymore" articles and thread topics that were all over 2011/2012.

Bernkastel

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Jan 15, 2018
Brazil
nichemancover7nfq1.png

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
It tells us that the PS4 doesn't rely on 1 market for all it sales and has a worldwide reach.

120-130 lifetime is getting realistic

It also shows that competition has barely affected its momentum past the expected slow down in its 5th year.

If anything, I think PS4 has affected the overall potential of the Switch. I wonder what the Switch could've really sold if the PS4 didnt over shadow it worldwide

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The GOAT console and the GOAT game putting in work I see...
Congrats to Sony for the success of the PS4, my favorite console ever! The future of PlayStation has never been brighter
Also congrats to SIE, Insomniac, and Marvel Games, Spidey is my favorite game of all time, and the future of comic book video games has never been brighter as well :)
source.gif
Finish the game.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Is this true? Holy shit Sony really did everything right when it came to designing and launching the PS4. It couldn't be more of a contrast vs how the PS3 went down at launch.

Sony required people to buy 1 game or 1 PS+ card to get profit. With an unit alone, the PS4 was sold at loss:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-recoup-playstation-4-hardware-loss-at-launch

So this says over 5.6 million PS4s sold from Nov 19 - Dec 31..........

We already knew that November had about 1.3 million PS4s sold in the US.

What can this tell us about potential December worldwide sales for PS4?

That it sold a damn lot And that Sony really doesn't rely on a single market

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to Sony for the success of the PS4, my favorite console ever! The future of PlayStation has never been brighter
Also congrats to SIE, Insomniac, and Marvel Games, Spidey is my favorite game of all time, and the future of comic book video games has never been brighter as well :)
source.gif

Speaking of PR...

Oct 25, 2017
source.gif
Finish the game.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
So happy for Insomniac and Sony !

Too bad, they didn't provide God of War update (nor Uncharted 4 or Horizon)

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Third behind PS2 and PSOne. It's already outsold PS3 and will probably pass 1. PS2 is likely out of reach, but PS4 is probably going to wind up being the 2nd most successful home console of all time. If you factor in revenue, it's probably going to bigger for Sony than the PS2 was.

With psn raking money I'm sure it passed ps2 in revenue a while ago

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
PS4 is fast approaching 100 million, its been a long time since a console has hit that amazing milestone (especially a PlayStation).

But there will be 100 million shipped before sold, so I wonder if Sony will celebrate the shipped number

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Anecdotal- a lot of the console only gamers I know personally don't really care about power or better hardware much, if at all. It's all software, followed by the online community.

Eventually better hardware will become a must as PS4 titles start hitting the limits of what the system can do- but we're not really "there" yet for most people.
Well i was careful saying i would be fine with PS5 in 2020/21 because Console gamers have told me they want 4K/60fps & better VR/Graphics etc ASAP, with Pro & XBX's popularity i think this shows, though i agree the norm are fine with a Vanilla PS4 & an old 1080p TV.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
God damn at those Spidey numbers.

A sequel is all but guaranteed.

I believe they have been profiting since day 1 on the PS4 unit alone
Is this true? Holy shit Sony really did everything right when it came to designing and launching the PS4. It couldn't be more of a contrast vs how the PS3 went down at launch.

I thought they were either breaking even or taking a small loss on the PS4 in its first few months? Maybe I'm mis-remembering.

giphy.gif

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
The Deluxe edition is pretty much that, has all DLC, so just need to keep a eye on that. You can get the Season Pass for 37% off at the moment (in the EU anyway), so mightn't even have to keep a eye on the Deluxe edition.
Well, whatever they call it, I'm waiting until 2019 BF lol. I'm broke as fuck right now.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
source.gif
Finish the game

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man must have passed the 10 by now, for GoW sales numbers we probably have to wait till the 1 year anniversary like Horizon.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
PS4 is fast approaching 100 million, its been a long time since a console has hit that amazing milestone (especially a PlayStation).

But there will be 100 million shipped before sold, so I wonder if Sony will celebrate the shipped number

It's gonna happen by March but they probably will wait until the end of the month.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
PS2 doesn't have a comparable sell through number. But its production shipment number was just under 90m when launch aligned.
PS4 and PS2 have been tracking similarly (when launch aligned) for a while now.

Thank you. Its really impressive how much PS4 is still selling without a prize cut.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Remember at the end of last gen when "analysts" thought home consoles were coming to an end and had doubts it was a viable venture? When Pachter said the graphical upgrade would be negligeable and that gamers would find very little reason to upgrade. That mobile was the only viable way forward.

HA!

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
It tells us that the PS4 doesn't rely on 1 market for all it sales and has a worldwide reach.

Right, but I wonder what the usual US-to-worldwide split is. Is it 1:1? So 1.3 million US and maybe another 1.3 million for EU/Asia in November, totaling 2.6 million? Or maybe 1:2, so 1.3 US to 2.6 EU/Asia, totaling 3.9 worldwide in November?

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So this says over 5.6 million PS4s sold from Nov 19 - Dec 31..........

We already knew that November had about 1.3 million PS4s sold in the US.

What can this tell us about potential December worldwide sales for PS4?

Here are some numbers for comparison-

Holiday 2013: 4.2m
Holiday 2014: 4.1m
Holiday 2015: 5.7m
Holiday 2016: 6.2m
Holiday 2017: 5.9m
Holiday 2018: 5.6m

Sony actually released holiday sell through figures a few other times as well.
PS3 Holiday 2011: 3.9m
PS3 Holiday 2009 - 3.8m

PS2 Holiday 2003 - 7.83m*
PS2 Holiday 2002 - 8.5m*
PS2 Holiday 2001 -5.0m

*Includes the full months of November and December

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Both Horizon and Spiderman did really well. I guess we can expect more open world games form Sony first party studios!

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Well i was careful saying i would be fine with PS5 in 2020/21 because Console gamers have told me they want 4K/60fps & better VR/Graphics etc ASAP, with Pro & XBX's popularity i think this shows, though i agree the norm are fine with a Vanilla PS4 & an old 1080p TV.

Hardcore gamers want these things, but the hardcore are a VERY small portion of who buys these things. By and large, the people who want 4K/60fps are not the people who are going to be buying the systems that take sony from 90m+ to 120m or so.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Ridiculous numbers.

To have sold units at such an alarming rate that you get close to Wii and surpass PS2 sold-through rate on a yearly basis and all the way to your 5th year on the market without slowing down.

Unprecedented performance from PS4 this gen.

It also was an era full of revelations for Sony as the Playstation division was able to highlight crystal clear the parts that Sony needed to focus so that they profit from it more directly and we in turn, get a Playstation-focused Sony that puts the PlayStation division at the helm of the company going forward, as it has become their most profiting venue.

Congratulations to the immense success, Sony. Ya'll fought hard to steer this ship on a positive direction.

We gon' eat next gen, boiis.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sales were at 73.6 million as of 31st December 2018. Sony sold through 18 million PS4 consoles this year. And with holiday sales of more than 5.6 million sales, they've had a more successful holiday season than last year where they said they sold more than 5 million. Also, with a figure like that, their shipment for the third quarter will probably be around 9 million again. Basically, I'd say it's likely PS4 is the best selling console of 2018.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 is a beast! 100 million is in sight! Congrats to Insomniac Games as well! They will definitely hit 10 million copies sold soon. Business is booming!

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Its funny to think back on the "No body wants consoles anymore" articles and thread topics that were all over 2011/2012.
Context i think, 360/PS3 were ageing very very badly in those days, the best Console exclusive Dark Souls (imo) was terrible on it's platforms, long loading times, sub-HD with no AA/AF, 15-20fps half the time, PS4 & Xbone should have been out by 2011. This is also why Sony released the Pro, they don't want that PC vs Console gap to appear again.

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
It's a freaking meme! It says more about the people getting annoyed by it than the people saying it. You ever heard about the green waves represent noises, shot themselves in the foot, Japanese culture and other memes people from GAF who migrated to Era keep using? Yeah, because those too are memes.

but meme or not they paint the situation like that was a common thought in this forum when it was really not even close to that. If at least 20-30% of people where saying it or a famous analyst said that i would understand, but it was literally a couple of randoms amongst hundreds of people who believed otherwise

Dark_EMT

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Congrats to Sony and insomniac. I'm so happy insomniac finally has a huge seller. I wish the Resistance franchise was that huge.