• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
A billion games for a hugely popular system isn't really unprecedented. Both Wii and DS sold close to a billion physical games... each.

"A billion game sales isn't really unprecedented, just look at two of the most successful systems ever that failed to do it." :P

It isn't unprecedented because the PS2 already did it (plus an extra 500+ mil) but it's still a huge milestone that no-one else has managed to accomplish and it's excluding indie games, F2P games, etc that've become more and more popular this gen.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Yeah, I'm with you on this one, the lower spec machine will be seen as a gimped version if it arrives at launch instead of the base level for the generation. Just offer a decent console for a decent price then do the pro model later when things settle down.
This is more $$ out of my pocket at the end of the day. I'm with you on perception. But man that Pro needs to come like 3-6 months later lol I don't want a bunch of Playstations like I had this gen.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
"A billion game sales isn't really unprecedented, just look at two of the most successful systems ever that failed to do it." :P

It isn't unprecedented because the PS2 already did it (plus an extra 500+ mil) but it's still a huge milestone that no-one else has managed to accomplish and it's excluding indie games, F2P games, etc that've become more and more popular this gen.

Those Wii and DS numbers are also excluding all Virtual Console and other digital downloadable games. Just saying, a billion games is in the normal ballpark for really successful systems. And this was in an era when Nintendo was pushing two systems, instead of focusing all their effort into one system like Sony has been doing with PS4 for a long time now.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Those Wii and DS numbers are also excluding all Virtual Console and other digital downloadable games. Just saying, a billion games is in the normal ballpark for really successful systems. And this was in an era when Nintendo was pushing two systems, instead of focusing all their effort into one system like Sony has been doing with PS4 for a long time now.

I think calling something "not unprecedented" and then bringing up 2 examples where something failed is the issue here lol

Not how they word works.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I think calling something "not unprecedented" and then bringing up 2 examples where something failed is the issue here lol

Not how they word works.

Well you know, once you've got 900+ million physical games sold, and then you add in all those uncounted digital games, it sounds to me like it gets awfully close to a billion. Close as in maybe even over. Doesn't it to you?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Well you know, once you've got 900+ million physical games sold, and then you add in all those uncounted digital games, it sounds to me like it gets awfully close to a billion. Close as in maybe even over. Doesn't it to you?

So you say they got close; not a big deal just pointing out that using the word unprecedented was flawed there.

"100 degrees is not unprecedented in this city, it was 95 last week and 96 the week before" is kind of what you said.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Incredible numbers.

Next gen consoles need to have a similar explosion out of the gate if we want devs to abandon last gen and develop exclusively for next gen. A slow start can hamper this and cause devs to rely even harder on cross gen ports, which will make consumers even less willing to upgrade so its vital PS5 crushes it at launch.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
To be fair, PS2, Wii and DS suffered a lot from piracy (expecially DS...Seriusly, ALL my fiends and me had an R4 , and that was a normal thing we didn't even know it was tecnically a crime :p)

Who know what software sales would looks like withouth piracy...

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
So you say they got close; not a big deal just pointing out that using the word unprecedented was flawed there.

"100 degrees is not unprecedented in this city, it was 95 last week and 96 the week before" is kind of what you said.

That's a flawed analogy and you should know it.

Thing is, we can make a pretty safe guess that with digital both Wii and DS are at over a billion games each. Problem is, we don't have the numbers so we can't say for sure. They could be at 100 million, or 200 million, or maybe even 500 million. Probably not that high tho, a conservative estimate would be somewhere around 150 million. At that point arguing that they didn't get to a billion because the physical numbers are just a nudge below is pointless.

And it's not like that makes it any less huge. But what's even bigger that PS4 blew past the one billion, and isn't going to stop any time soon. We're realistically looking at PS4 getting to 1.5 billion games or even more, and that's really huge.

OP
OP
poklane

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Thanks to ZhugeEX on Twitter, Sony has updated the software numbers: software sales as of December 31, 2019 isn't 1.15billion, it is 1,181million, a 31 million increase. Numbers for December 31, 2018 were also updated from 876million to 924million, a 48million increase

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Nice increase. These numbers make more sense as well, the +43m 2019 software jump over 2018 looked super strange considering how strong the software lineup for 2018 was. Sure enough, 2019 SW actually adjusted down by 17mil and I'm sure a lot of that 48m extra came from 2018 itself, meaning SW is probably flat YoY.

After selling 257m software in 2019, can Sony sell another 357m+ lifetime and beat the ps2 for the all time record? I'm betting yes.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
The 1.15 BILLION games sold bit kinda breaks my mind a bit. Like.... a BILLION of something is a whole fucking lot.

That's less than 2 games per person per year with a PS4.

To put it in perspective.

That actually is harder to understand than the "billion" number. That means there has to be people that literally buy 0 games, because some buy tons of games. 🤔

Which makes sense. The average consumer probably buys either a sports game or Call of Duty annually and that's it. Hell, some people are probably 0 attach rate because their console is essentially a Fortnite machine.

Haha, I literally just edited in something similar about 0 games.

Last edited:

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Damn, it was really sold-through number and this is a nice increase

2017 : 235.9m
2018 : 279m
2019 : 257m

Sold-through number includes download only software titles, unlike shipments data from quarterly earnings

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Nice increase. These numbers make more sense as well, the +43m 2019 software jump over 2018 looked super strange considering how strong the software lineup for 2018 was. Sure enough, 2019 SW actually adjusted down by 17mil and I'm sure a lot of that 48m extra came from 2018 itself, meaning SW is probably flat YoY.

After selling 257m software in 2019, can Sony sell another 357m+ lifetime and beat the ps2 for the all time record? I'm betting yes.
With games like FF7, Cyberpunk, TLOU and GoT releasing this year I feel like they're gonna be able to remain flat-ish YoY. So they should get pretty close this year alone.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

That actually is harder to understand than the "billion" number. That means there has to be people that literally buy 0 games, because some buy tons of games. 🤔

We've had this discussion before, in this very thread bro :P

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I've bought 100+ games this gen unfortunately... doing my part
We've had this discussion before, in this very thread bro :P

Haha, ok, didn't read all 8 pages.

It still amazes me that people buy consoles and never actually buy a game. Although, with subscription based services, I expect actually buying games to disappear eventually.

I was about to buy A Plague Tale: Innocence a few weeks ago when I saw that it was coming out on Game Pass. Literally canceled out me buying it. 🤷‍♂️ I wonder if developers gain or lose from that.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017

And the craziest part about this is PS4 actually has a fantastic attach ratio with over 11.1. Over 10 is quite rare for games consoles, for example Nintendo's highest attach ratio is 9.6 for gamecube. I believe the current record attach ratio is PS3's 11.4, so PS4 will probably take this record quite soon.

Most people just don't buy many games for their consoles.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
launched a game for more then an 1hour a week?

Who knows, it might not even be as generous as that.
For example, Facebook counts a video "video" as 3 seconds+ and includes autoplay.

So when you are a platform trying to sell your services to 3rd parties, then the chances are you are going to get creative, I do not doubt this is the same for the console service platforms.

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For example, Facebook counts a video "video" as 3 seconds+ and includes autoplay.

So when you are a platform trying to sell your services to 3rd parties, then the chances are you are going to get creative, I do not doubt this is the same for the console service platforms.
I assume a MAU could be considered someone simply signing into said service.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thing is, we can make a pretty safe guess that with digital both Wii and DS are at over a billion games each. Problem is, we don't have the numbers so we can't say for sure. They could be at 100 million, or 200 million, or maybe even 500 million. Probably not that high tho, a conservative estimate would be somewhere around 150 million. At that point arguing that they didn't get to a billion because the physical numbers are just a nudge below is pointless.

Could you even buy games digitally on the DS? I don't remember that at all.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

There is people playing only Fortnite or other F2P. And some people only buy used game.

Jan 31, 2019
Interesting to see two Japanese companies (Nintendo and Sony) that are looked at as rivals - able to both perform so outrageously well. What does this tell me? If you make really good games, people will buy the hardware required to play them.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Thanks to ZhugeEX on Twitter, Sony has updated the software numbers: software sales as of December 31, 2019 isn't 1.15billion, it is 1,181million, a 31 million increase. Numbers for December 31, 2018 were also updated from 876million to 924million, a 48million increase

Sometimes your talent wins so much you begin to doubt and underestimate it, only for it to win again.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I understand now why so many people are so concerned for Sony next generation ! You can only have so much luck with such failed business model...

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019

yeah with playstation I wouldn't be surprised if it was like you turned it on once this month you're a MAU

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting to see two Japanese companies (Nintendo and Sony) that are looked at as rivals - able to both perform so outrageously well. What does this tell me? If you make really good games, people will buy the hardware required to play them.
SIE's barely a Japanese game company at this point. Leadership, priorities and workforce have shifted overwhelmingly to the west with the company.

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Why is sony having hard time selling PS+? It offers great value, why isn't more than half the people with PS4 not subscribed I wonder.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Haha, ok, didn't read all 8 pages.

It still amazes me that people buy consoles and never actually buy a game. Although, with subscription based services, I expect actually buying games to disappear eventually.

I was about to buy A Plague Tale: Innocence a few weeks ago when I saw that it was coming out on Game Pass. Literally canceled out me buying it. 🤷‍♂️ I wonder if developers gain or lose from that.

I wonder this too. But I'm actually not surprised a lot of people don't buy games these days. The most popular ones are free. Even before this service model became popular plenty of people will buy a console only to get 5 games the entire gen. And then these five games will just each call of duty or something lol

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I wonder this too. But I'm actually not surprised a lot of people don't buy games these days. The most popular ones are free. Even before this service model became popular plenty of people will buy a console only to get 5 games the entire gen. And then these five games will just each call of duty or something lol
You are definitely too harsh guys

I don't know if you realize that 257 million games sold to consumers in 2019 is the second highest year ever for any platform in history of video games ?

The best one being 2018 on PS4 again with 279m

You can't say people buy less games or don't buy games at all these days because what PS4 accomplished with these kind of numbers is impressive, it has never been done before by any platform (including PS2)

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why is sony having hard time selling PS+? It offers great value, why isn't more than half the people with PS4 not subscribed I wonder.

Man, what a weird post to read. Everything you say is the opposite of what I believe lol.

Sony is having incredible success with PS+, with almost forty million subscribers to a service that provides increasingly negligible value. Why are almost half the people with PS4 subscribed?? Crazy high number, good for Sony.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, what a weird post to read. Everything you say is the opposite of what I believe lol.

Sony is having incredible success with PS+, with almost forty million subscribers to a service that provides increasingly negligible value. Why are almost half the people with PS4 subscribed?? Crazy high number, good for Sony.
It's not really a service that is meant to deliver value. It's a paywall for basic features. Microsoft got away with it last gen and now every console maker wants your money just to use the internet. It prints money!

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
It's not really a service that is meant to deliver value. It's a paywall for basic features. Microsoft got away with it last gen and now every console maker wants your money just to use the internet. It prints money!

So companies want money from the consumer, and want that the consumer pays for some sort of service?

Sounds normal for me, but i'm from europe, we even pay for water at the restaurant.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Generally when something that was free is suddenly not free and there's been no massive improvement to that something, it's not seen as "providing a service", it's a cash grab.