• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I did mine a while back

www.resetera.com

Fuck it, I’m going to try to fix my PS4Pro’s noise problem. Tips and words of encouragement needed (Update: results are in)

So yeah, I’m pretty much done with the insane jet engine sounds coming from my PS4Pro. It’s gotten so bad that even with headphones on it’s still unbearably loud. I’ve tried everything to fix it, except removing and replacing the thermal paste, something I’m very anxious about. But fuck it, if...

and although it's gotten louder since it's nowhere near the jet engine it was before.
So I'm hopeful it will last until PS5 release 🤞🏻

I did my launch day Pro thanks to your thread, and initially it was a huge success - God of War was my test game and it went from jet engine to peaceful breeze. But now, Cod/Warzone makes it sound worse than I've ever heard before, it is unbelievable! Although, FFVII remains silent at all times and I see others complain of that so maybe my Pro is good but COD is just bonkers for some reason.

I am strongly considering taking extreme measures and trying watercooling or bolt-on Noctuas right now.

Oct 25, 2017
I changed it on my original Pro model and also on the current model for a friend. Mine needed a deep clean badly and so far it sounds better than before. Next time it returns to jet engine mode I will swap out the fan.

giblet

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I changed my fan on the pro, used compressed air to clean out the dust, and reapplied the thermal paste.

It's been about 5-6 months and still quiet. Really worth it compared to the jet engine before.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
I put liquid metal and changed the thermal pads like a year ago and it has behaved quite well, however playing Snowrunner the console wants to take off all the time.

I can't wait to get a PS5 so I don't have to deal with this anymore.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
damn, seems like many people have managed to get rid of the noise. its literally ruining gaming for me atm, every game except RDR2 for some reason makes my console scream. Dreams is the absolute worst, and i dont play it at all because im afraid it will break the Pro. its so incredibly loud.

but im not very good at fixing things.. im afraid i'll make things worse. what should i try first, clean the heatsink? any good step by step video so i dont mess anything up?

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I had to replace my liquid metal thermal paste after 2 years, but it went back to being less obnoxious (not whisper quiet) after that.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I put liquid metal and changed the thermal pads like a year ago and it has behaved quite well, however playing Snowrunner the console wants to take off all the time.

I can't wait to get a PS5 so I don't have to deal with this anymore.
Liquid metal is known to degrade fast verses thermal paste. Especially since the PS4 contact point uses copper which actually absorbs the liquid metal over time. It might be the reason why it's getting loud.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
The problem is the cheap fan no the thermal paste, when a very intensive game or sequence in you ps4 appear the fan will increase and the sound too. In the PS4 the fan is very loud one and that occurs. The best way on the older PS4PRO is to open the top cover, there the fan will be more quieter.

Luchsius

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Made all the difference to me, my PS4 Pro is silent ever since. Don't know what others do wrong so that their console get loud again...

Brivs

Creative Director, BancyCo
Verified
Nov 4, 2017
Toronto
I just replaced my thermal paste this weekend. I'd say it improved the fan by 50% (which has been a relief) so far, but I will happily update this thread again over the longer term. Good god, I hope this lasts!

DiscoThunder

May 7, 2019
I applied liquid metal to mine and changed the thermal pads for some Grizzlys. Immense difference in games, but fan still goes haywire in CoD Warzone menus and such.

With a thick layer of nail polish around the socket it felt 100% safe with the liquid metal.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Liquid metal is known to degrade fast verses thermal paste. Especially since the PS4 contact point uses copper which actually absorbs the liquid metal over time. It might be the reason why it's getting loud.

I could redo it giving all the free time I have right now, well thinking about it I have a DS4 2000 mah battery coming in the mail tomorrow so maybe I could do everything at once and live the last 6 months of this generation in silence LOL

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
It's been 7-8 months since I've last done it and it is still going strong. I used grizzly pads and paste.

Comandr

Feb 14, 2018
I have a launch PS4 Pro. It's insanely loud. (84dB) I have to turn my volume way up just to hear conversation in FF7R. About 8 months ago I replaced the thermal paste with the highest w/mK they had at Best Buy, which was 5. The noise was significantly better for a while. Dropped to about 50dB under load. Didn't last though. Maybe a month or two later it was back up to full blast. I actually got a warning during FF7R that it was too hot and I couldn't play until it cooled down. I removed the top plastic plate and was at least able to play uninterrupted, with a jet engine in the room.

At this point I've cleaned the and all of the vents thoroughly, which weren't that dirty, I've replaced the paste and removed the top cover. I'd like to get a newer unit that isn't comically loud, but with the PS5 just around the corner, I can't justify buying a replacement that will lose a tremendous amount of value in 6 months. I beat FF7 and I'm just not using it. Which sucks.

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
Man I hate removing the top of my non-Pro PS4. That darn corner by the "PS4" that won't come off.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Made all the difference to me, my PS4 Pro is silent ever since. Don't know what others do wrong so that their console get loud again...

Different causes (bad paste, bad fan, dust, etc)-------->Same problem (Noise)

Same solution----->different outcome

Faulty paste was your issue, but is not the issue all noisy Pros have. Same with just changing the fan, if it works thar was the issue, if it doesn't that was not the issue or that was not the sole issue.

Mine was silent for 1.5y...wanted to change the paste but ended just buying a Slim last BF. Will trade the Pro for the PS5 and give the Slim to my nieces :)

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Changing the thermal paste probably isn't going to help much unless it was applied poorly at the factory. Keeping the heatsink clean will have a much bigger impact.

Whirlpool

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My heatsink was filled with crap. So I cleaned that out and replaced the thermal paste. It used to get loud when playing FFXIV, but now it doesn't even get loud when playing FFVII:R or FFXV and it's been a few months now.

It's hard to tell how much the thermal paste helped though because that heatsink was nastay.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't worth it at all for me. Made minimal difference, if any.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
I fail to see how this would help. Is there different kind of fans for the PS4 pro? A faulty fan wouldn't spin faster. It would either stop working, or it would have a really bad bearing and sounds scratchy. I would appreciate it if you elaborate on this.
Yes, there is two manufacturers, both with couple of models that's been used in PS4 Pros.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
I still remember the first time my Pro made consistent jet engine noise. I opened it up expecting to see a gob of cat hair slathered over everything, but it was completely spotless.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I still remember the first time my Pro made consistent jet engine noise. I opened it up expecting to see a gob of cat hair slathered over everything, but it was completely spotless.
Yeah, same here, it's definitely not dust or blockage of the heatsink.

Someone earlier said they got good results just by popping the top off the unit... does that actually work? I suppose it would definitely allow for more airflow into the fan.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Changed the paste and dusted and it's a little better. Probably needs liquid metal and thermal pads to make a bigger difference.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Yep

It REALLY doesn't help. It was a fun tech curiosity that I indulged in, but ultimately the cooling solution is utter shit. Nothing can be done about it.
Changing fan does wonders, I can guarantee you silent PS4 Pros are not a myth, it just so happens that Sonys QC didn't seem to care about the fans.
Though I agree that the cooling solution is shit and this shouldn't happen, but at least something can be done about it.

silentsentinels

Alt Account
Banned
May 17, 2020
I opened the top of my PS4 thinking it was just dust but it looks pretty clean I guess I'm just unlucky. I honestly only want a PS5 so I don't have to fucking deal with the noise anymore. It makes me not want to use my console at all.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Mine sounded like a harrier jet when playing Wolfenstein: Younglbood. I replaced the paste and pads and the console was whisper quiet. It's since gotten a bit louder, but nothing like it was before.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Changing fan does wonders, I can guarantee you silent PS4 Pros are not a myth, it just so happens that Sonys QC didn't seem to care about the fans.
Though I agree that the cooling solution is shit and this shouldn't happen, but at least something can be done about it.

Well, all they have are either Delta or Nidec fans and they both suck. Trust me, I've had both. And while I def prefer a Nidec, its still loud AF with the right game like Days Gone, Spiderman or and RE

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Well, all they have are either Delta or Nidec fans and they both suck. Trust me, I've had both. And while I def prefer a Nidec, its still loud AF with the right game like Days Gone, Spiderman or and RE
Just played Days Gone yesterday and it was very silent, and this is 6 months after the replacement.
I'm pretty sure it's just pure luck whether your replacement is any better, since they're technically the same they use in them in first place.

Luchsius

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Different causes (bad paste, bad fan, dust, etc)-------->Same problem (Noise)

Same solution----->different outcome

Faulty paste was your issue, but is not the issue all noisy Pros have. Same with just changing the fan, if it works thar was the issue, if it doesn't that was not the issue or that was not the sole issue.

Mine was silent for 1.5y...wanted to change the paste but ended just buying a Slim last BF. Will trade the Pro for the PS5 and give the Slim to my nieces :)

Ahh, I thought that faulty paste is everyones issue. I can see that I was a bit aggressive in my post, Sorry.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can I open the ps4 without voiding the warranty? Do I even have a warranty? It's been like 2 plus years

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Yeah it made absolutely no difference for me

I changed the thermal paste and pads on a launch Pro, it did nothing, I bought the RDR2 model and it was great, now it is like normal loud, nowhere near the jet engine loud of my launch pro

Yoss

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Anyone having problems with games shutting down because of overheating? My PS4 Pro isn't a launch unit and isn't dusty but I haven't been able to launch Uncharted 4. The game loading screen comes up and then it flashes the overheating warning and shuts down.

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
Not a pro but mine went back to being noisy asap, which is fine because it was dying from overheating after 5 minutes before I went in there.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I got the Death Stranding Pro in November, so far it's been fine, but I'm dreading the day it decides to start taking off lol. At least the PS5 isn't that far and I'm planning to get one in early 2021, so there's that.
Edit: Now, it is my base PS4 that needs a good cleaning and some thermal paste because it is loud even when watching Netflix. I'll make sure to take it somewhere they can check that after the lockdown here is over.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Goddamn power brick wouldn't disconnect so all I could do was to dust out whatever I could :/

Deleted member 33567

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Mine is terrible, my friend complains about the noise when we are in a party! sad to hear there is no reliable solution to this.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I've literally had all the stuff I need to do this, but been sitting on it for a few weeks. A bit hesitant... I feel like I'll screw something up or it wont have much difference.

But yea, I'm worried about Last of Us 2. RIP

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Curious, has anyone done a LM paste on a ps4?

Tbh I've always found console noise complaints to be a bit funny. It's still not nearly as loud as even a dual fan PC desktop gpu with an intense load/unoptimized game and you're sitting way further away from it.

OP
OP
ornery

ornery

Nov 15, 2017
Has there been any class action suits against Sony for the poor cooling of these consoles?

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh I've always found console noise complaints to be a bit funny. It's still not nearly as loud as even a dual fan PC desktop gpu with an intense load/unoptimized game and you're sitting way further away from it.
Like hell it's not. Game audio from my little PC speakers easily drowns out my PC noise (most of which comes from the CPU and not the GPU), but even my 5.1 surround system in the home theater can't drown out my PS4 Pro when it's on a rampage. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that your system clearly doesn't have the problem the rest of us are describing.