• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do your DS4s keep a charge for a reasonable amount of time?

• Yes, they last an entire play session

Votes: 721 74.5%
  • No, my battery life is really low

Votes: 162 16.7%
  • I own multiple controllers and swap them around

Votes: 198 20.5%

• Total voters

Jagernaut

Oct 27, 2017
I've had the same Dualshock 4 for almost 5 years and it still holds a charge ( 2 or more play sessions). I use a long USB extension cable to play while charging when the battery gets low. No problems at all.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can usually get a solid days worth of playing out of a controller before it needs to be swapped. I rotate two different controllers.

Jun 7, 2020
Lithium cells hate getting low and being discharged. Mine stay connected to PS4 when not in use and are never left flat. They're all still lasting long enough for the few hours at a time I tend to play.
For the rare times I can play most of the day I just cycle between the two controllers I got for it.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I still get around 6 hours from my launch pad which is more than sufficient for an average gaming stint, but not exactly great. That said, both my 20th Anniversary and PS4 Pro controllers last noticeably longer, perhaps around 10-12 hours or so. This is with lightbar set to its lowest setting.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
My PS4 is now basically a TV streaming machine and my controller lasts probably a week between charges. I realize this is probably the most minimal of use-cases, but it works fine for me.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
Very rarely does it run out because I set it to auto switch off at 10 minutes. On top of that I plug it into charge at the end of the day if I'm down to one bar and it's ready to go again when I need it.
I've just played 2 hours of EDF and still has full bars.

Oct 29, 2017
I own about 4 DualShock 4 controllers, all of which are still wonderfully holding their charge.

I don't play as much as some people do, but they are used on both the system itself and on two various computers that are also for gaming. I generally don't run the charge down all the way to nothing on most days, if that's perhaps another sign of how little I use them.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I eventually had to replace my launch PS4 controller due to battery issues (I think it was lasting 2hrs by the end?), but the replacement which I've had for a few years now still holds up okay -- it's the model with the light on the touchpad. That being said, I hope there is better battery life in general for the PS5 controllers, though.

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
I charge them, play for an hour, and then they're going to be dead the next time I go to play? This doesn't happen with my other controllers.
Sorry I was being sarcastic. Then they are definitely broken. You must be very unlucky if you have 3 broken controllers lol.

I have read some people saying that this happen to them if they don't use the controller for a long period of time and without charging, the battery gets damaged somehow.

Don't know if it that applies to you, but I hope it helps.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've had three controllers over the space of this generation. The only one that has started to weaken was my launch controller. Kind of a given when it comes to rechargeable batteries.
Some of the hyperbolic statements on here are unreal.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
This thread just reminded me to plug in my ds4 as the battery was getting low last night.

And yah, battery life isn't really an issue. one controller is 4 to 5 years old the other was purchased about 2 years ago and they both hold a charge for well over a 5 hour play session for something like overwatch or COD. This is with headset plugged in to controller.

Also important to note that recharge time, even while being used, is insignificant. 30 minutes tops?

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
They last much longer than an entire play session.

Honestly, I don't remember the last time I charged any of them, but they're all still good.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Mines last an entire play session. However, I also traded my launch controllers for newer version so I can avoid bad battery wearout...lol!

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Now this wouldn't be a problem if Sony actually manufactured charger cables that were longer than two feet, but for some reason they seem to think that you should only ever be able charge your controller when you aren't using it.
This makes no sense, Micro-USB cables are standard (in fact I always charge my Dualshock using an old smartphone charger or even PC), so you can easily find a long one.

About my Dualshock 4 (I have only one), it has a really low batterly life (5-6 hours) compared to the Ps3 or Switch/WiiU pro, and it's not even that old, I got it new with my Ps4 Pro that I purchased a few months after release.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Well I have had to buy new ones from time to time(sticks breaking, drifting), so they have not really had time for their batteries to degrade that much.

For long sessions I swap around though, or just plug in my extension usb cord. it's like 5 meters long, so very handy.

One of my better purchases was the charging station, makes it very easy to always have an backup controller, fully charged on standby. and the first one as well of course. the charger fits two

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, the overall build quality is so shit that none of my DS4s have survived long enough for me to worry about long-term battery degradation.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Since PS3, I've always bought 6' charge cords from monoprice. Then just play wired for a bit if the charge goes down. Pretty simple solution for me. And my controllers still hold their charge for days. PS3 & PS4.

Gjallarsean

Oct 10, 2018
Only got a PS4 about 18 months ago to catch up on exclusives, so doesn't really apply for me, but I do wish the battery lasted longer between charges. I forget to plug it in sometimes, and the cable is so damn short that it precludes gaming while charging. It's not ideal.

As much as a lot of people like to clown on MS for still requiring AA batteries, this is one reason a lot of people prefer it. The controllers never die - just gotta swap out some rechargable batteries and you're good to go.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Nah, the overall build quality is so shit that none of my DS4s has survived long enough for me to worry about long-term battery degradation.
This is my stance too, I remember a few threads about internal batteries being a bad idea because they eventually die, but I think that unless your controller is made with great materials (which the DS4 clearly isn't), I think most standard controllers will break somewhere far sooner than their batteries will die.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
"lasting an entire play session" is ambiguous at best. I'm using the same controller I got with my original PS4, and it can hold a charge for about 3 hours. I regularly have to plug it in while playing.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
In just over a year, my launch controller only lasted about 60–90 minutes on a charge before it was replaced due to the rubber on the sticks deteriorating (it turned tacky/gummy, rather than peeling).
The replacement - an updated v1 controller - is fine; though not great. I still have to charge it far more than I'd like when other controllers last so much longer.
It probably lasts 6–8 hours which is longer than I play anything without having an opportunity to charge it now, but short enough that I have to remember to put it on charge at all times after I'm done.
I bought the official charge dock, but wish it was USB-powered rather than an AC adapter.

Last edited:

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Not only can you use standard USB cables for charging (although only certain cables seem to get the controller to actually pair to your console? Not sure the specifics on that) you can even plug the controller through an adapter into the wall (or power strip) as you're playing!

This is why I barely see any needed use for a charging dock.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
My launch controller? Not so much.
My anniversary controller definitely still can. Granted, I don't play as much as I used to, but I'm still surprised it does so well.

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
five years, zero issues. When it runs out of battery, I just plug the cable on a usb charger, so no need to be close to the console either.

I'm really impressed with the quality of my DS4. I've heard so many terrible things about them, but mine works flawlessly.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
Mine holds a charge, but for some reason the entire touchpad does not work or register button presses.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Not only can you use standard USB cables for charging (although only certain cables seem to get the controller to actually pair to your console? Not sure the specifics on that) you can even plug the controller through an adapter into the wall (or power strip) as you're playing!

This is why I barely see any needed use for a charging dock.
I use the official charge dock because the connector is far more reliable for charging than USB.
The USB port on the DS4 is garbage, and often refuses to charge or send data from cables which work with literally any other device. I had to replace the cable I was using so many times before giving in and buying the dock.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
for any console i ever owned (including PC) I owned two controllers. One charging at all times.

As for ps4 controllers, they hold their charge well enough for me at least.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Yeah I haven't seen any real downgrade in the battery life. It's still bad just not worse.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I own three DS4s.
  • 1 from my launch day PS4
  • 1 white controller that came out with Destiny
  • 1 from the PS4 Pro launch
Never really had an issue with any of them. I can still play for hours without having to charge them during play sessions.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Still have and use my launch controller from November 2013. Although the left stick is starting to lose its covering. My other two controllers are fine as well. I only play maybe 2 hours at the most at a time but my daughters do multihour sessions of Minecraft and don't starve and never have any issues.

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
I have three ds4s, and they all hold their charge fine. Just one of them had a drift issue after 4 years.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
My batteries are fine. The main issue I have with the one I bought 3 months ago is that the left stick is drifting badly after I dropped the controller a few times. I've dropped my other DS4s pretty often in the last 4 years but they've never drifted like this before.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
DS4 that came with my Pro still works fine for a full gaming session.

The one that came with my 2013 PS4 didn't, and I replaced the battery last year (around $10 on amazon). Also the sticks had some damage to the top rubber, this didn't happen with the new model.

Neither ever had drift.

If you want to replace the battery, be careful to check the model number. There's 2 models of controller which have a different battery connector.

Macross

Nov 5, 2017
USA
About the same time I pre-ordered my PS5, all my controllers started having issues. Obviously, they didn't start acting off because of my pre-order, but man what timing. Batteries are not lasting as long (still plenty long enough) and having dead zones on a few buttons/sticks. I opened one and cleaned it out and it works much better, but I really don't want to do the same with only a handful of days until my 5 arrives.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I have never run out of battery. When I recently played through Ghost of Tsushima it lasted me about three sessions in two days.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I did replace my launch controller with the one that came bundled with the Pro ~4 years ago, but neither give me issues and I have used them both HEAVILY.
The one major problem has been the rubber on the sticks wearing down. That's about it. I keep them both on a charging cradle when not in use, and the battery dies a little faster than I recall, but I can go several hours just fine.

Meanwhile my XB1 controller I bought when the console launched for use on PC, that one is still damn near perfect. I am debating on whether to upgrade it to a Dual Sense(if PC can support some of its features) or just get the XSX version. But that X1X controller is like a tank.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Nope, it's always been shit but worse than ever now. I need to keep a charge lead in the console all the time.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I voted "no," but then saw that "Yes" was "last a whole play session." I don't think a single play session really counts as "holding a charge." I regularly keep a USB battery handy if I play a PS4 game.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I think I've run out of battery once or twice over the entire generation.

Could the battery life be better? Yes… is it fine though? Yes.

I also use a Xbox controller for my PC and frankly, having the AA batteries in that thing have been far more annoying that my DS4's rechargeable.