• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do your DS4s keep a charge for a reasonable amount of time?

• Yes, they last an entire play session

Votes: 721 74.5%
  • No, my battery life is really low

Votes: 162 16.7%
  • I own multiple controllers and swap them around

Votes: 198 20.5%

• Total voters

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
One is perfect, lasting a couple of play sessions. The other struggles go more than 3-4 hours. I bought a 3rd party dock for them, similar to the new PS5 dock.

I'll sometimes plug one into my laptop to charge as I'm playing, as that's usually nearby, when simultaneously watching/listening to an episode of Critical Role or something.

They're not as perfect as they were brand new, of course, but they've hardly bugged me where battery life is concerned.

Drifting however....

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I don't play nearly as much as before when I was kid-free so it lasts several sessions before I have to plug it in.

DSoup

Oct 28, 2017
London
Yup. I bought a second DS4 with my launch PS4 and it still holds up. The second gen DS4 that came with in Pro lasts longer but I'm not gaming for 10+ hours.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My launch DS4 is probably the worst, but it still holds a charge for 3 or 4 hours minimum. The others I can go much longer but I've never timed it.

I have 3 of them and a 10 foot charging cable so this has never been an issue for me.

While I find built in batteries a bit tiresome, it's better than all the fucking batteries I go through on my Xbox in a year.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
It will last a play session fine, but overall the life is really low. Maybe around 8 hours? It is the light bar I suspect (have it taped up because the reflection on my tv in a dark room annoys me) Maybe just spoiled by getting 25 hours out of eneloop rechargeables in a Xbox controller. Using same set of batteries since like 2012. I think they lasted even longer on a 360 controller. Maybe time to get a fresh set for next gen. Looking forward to bigger battery in dual sense either way.

CryoFlar3

Oct 27, 2017
My controller has spent the entire generation wired. The few times its been unplugged its worked fine.

Oct 26, 2017
I got multiple long play sessions from my original one and the same from the one I got from the PS4 pro. Strangely, I bought a 3rd party cable because it was longer but then the charge ran down very quickly. I swapped back to the original cable and it's fine again.

sumo

Oct 30, 2017
I find it runs out much quicker when plugging in a headset but otherwise it never runs out while I'm using it. You guys know you can turn down the led brightness yeah? Helps them last longer as well as no annoying reflection in the screen.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I have 2 DS4's, the original launch day PS4 controller and the launch day PS4 Pro controller.

I haven't noticed any difference in how long they last though, they have always been around the same battery length. The original lasts around 5 - 6 hours, and the newer PS4 Pro one lasts around 9 - 10 hours.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I have 3 DS4s. The one I got with my console has to be connected via USB, as it doesn't hold a charge at all. The middle child of the bunch is my white DS4. It can last about 10-15 minutes on a full charge. We also have a nearly brand-new clear DS4 that lasts about 2-ish hours on a full charge. This is with every PS4 setting in favor of the battery lasting longer.

May 12, 2020
Yes, I still use my launch DS4. I don't play more than 3 hours a day and I always put it back on the charger.

tomsawing

Jul 27, 2020
I noticed on my first DS4 that the triggers and sticks wore out long before I had any other issues. So I wait until I start to notice something giving and then I trade it in and pick a new color. Winds up costing like $10-20 a year depending on sales or trade-in bonuses and the battery won't wear out because I don't hold onto it for long enough. Probably not the best thing for the environment for everybody to do that though...

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Mine holds zero charge at all. As soon as I unplug it, it's dead. So I just keep it plugged in all the time when I need to use it.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I've switched it out for other controllers enough that I've not had this issue, I've had like 2 bad DualShock 4s but for other reasons.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Both of mine hold a charge still, easily last 6+ hours which is more than I need at a time. Occasionally I forget to charge and then have to plug in one of my 1200 cables then my problem is solved.

I've also made it the last year plus with no more rubber on my left sticks from years of use, though, lol. Excited to get a PS5 then have a controller with the rubber grip on it again.

Morgenstern

Oct 28, 2017
Of the two DS4s in my possession, one lasts about 30 minutes before running out of juice, while the other is more acceptable. It makes me worry about the DS5 admittedly.

Chossen

Nov 26, 2017
I've had no problems with my default ds4, I'm still playing with it and its pretty ok (It's a 2014 controller).

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Yes it holds its charge but it's a v2 from 2016, so not quite as old as the v1 2013 controllers.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I have two Dualshock 4s but only use one of them for my PS4.

The one that came with my PS4 that I bought back in 2015 is the one I am still using.

A Full charge usually lasts 3 hours average for me.

Ironically my DS3 lasts longer than that (at one point up to 5 hours).

My Gold DS4 I use for PC gaming but its always plugged in, never use it wirelessly.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My 500 million PS4 controller has a decent battery actually, I have a HyperX controller dock charger and I use that to charge and it will last like a whole 5-6 hour session no problem.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I still don't have any issues with my DS4 controllers, I've had 2 I rotate for a few years now (1 going back to Dec 2017 when I got my Pro) and they get a lot of mileage on them. They don't compare to my DS3, Switch Pro, etc but I think they are still doing well.

Ain't Nobody

Oct 30, 2017
I bought one for PC gaming and I might have killed it by leaving it plugged in all the time. Within a couple years it had no charge at all when I tried to connect it with Bluetooth. And the rubber peeled off the left stick.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
I got one of these and never looked back since

61nPVt-tutL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Gives me many, many hours without having to recharge the controller
I cheated and did this when it became available.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
The batteries work fine in my controllers.

The issues I have had are worse though, with stick drift and triggers not hitting 100% 'pressure'. Very annoying.

Deleted member 44122

"Yes, they last an entire play session"
depends on the length of the session :P im currently playing yakuza like a dragon and i wish the battery would last a lot longer xD

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
I bought one for PC gaming and I might have killed it by leaving it plugged in all the time.

I noticed that my DS4 discharges itself quickly if left plugged into a PC that's turned off, much faster than if it's disconnected. I can imagine that doing a real number on the battery if the controller is kept connected at all times with the PC regularly shut off — there sure would be a lot of unnecessary charge/discharge cycles.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
I own 3 dualshock 4s. One of them can't hold a charge any more. Oddly, it's the one I bought between my launch PS4 and my PS4 pro so my launch ds4 lasts longer than that one for some reason.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
I managed to get a bigger battery for my V1 controller, so it's kept me going and holds a charge quite well.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
They still hold decently but they die quicker than my Xbox Controllers with Eneloops. I typically get about 1 or 2 play sessions and then need to charge them.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Got two DS4s and a ~6' long USB to MicroUSB cable for charging. Both batteries still last a good 6-8 hours or so, and if I forget to charge them I can charge and play using the cable. They've actually done me pretty well since both are launch controllers. Seems like it's luck of the draw though. Also probably helps that I don't play a lot of multiplayer or easily replayable games on PS4, most of that I do on PC.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Also just want to add, the PSmove controllers seem to hold better battery than the DS4. Unsure why that is, but I can play those for MUCH longer before needing to charge them.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I own 3 and they all last fine for an evening of gaming or two. There is one that lasts a week, the newest, and one that only lasts 4 or 5 hours, but it's from launch. All in all, very happy with them all.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a bunch of PS4 controllers so I haven't noticed the battery life getting worse over time. That said battery life has been crap all gen. Roll on PS5.