• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do your DS4s keep a charge for a reasonable amount of time?

• Yes, they last an entire play session

Votes: 721 74.5%
  • No, my battery life is really low

Votes: 162 16.7%
  • I own multiple controllers and swap them around

Votes: 198 20.5%

• Total voters

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Now that we're up on the end of the generation, I want to talk about something that's bugged me for a while - my Dual Shock 4 controllers. I used to have three of them, but one of them disappeared at some point in the past two years. Ever since then, the battery life on my two remaining DS4s has degraded more and more over time, to the point at which they seem to run out of battery within an hour and a half of use and need to be recharged, basically without fail.

Now this wouldn't be a problem if Sony actually manufactured charger cables that were longer than two feet, but for some reason they seem to think that you should only ever be able charge your controller when you aren't using it. As a result, unless you want to sit directly on the floor in front of your TV, using your charge cable and playing a game at the same time is basically impossible. Which means I'm stuck constantly pausing my play to stick my controllers in the charger dock and swap them out for the other one, but they charge too slowly for one to reach full charge before the other one runs out.

How about you? Do any of your Dual Shocks actually last a full play session anymore, or do you have to constantly interrupt your play to charge up your controllers, switch them around, or do you just own so many controllers that one burning out is only a momentary inconvenience?

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It lasts a couple days with casual use (couple hours of Warzone a day, plus the controller is on while I watch Netflix).

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah mine are fine, I only really use one and it sits on charge when not in use, I'm really not sure what this low battery life myth is about unless you're playing 8+ hours straight

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
You do realize that micro-USB cables longer than two feet exist, right? But also this is why integrated batteries for controllers suck.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I got one of these and never looked back since

61nPVt-tutL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Gives me many, many hours without having to recharge the controller

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The real problem is that every time I pick up any of my three DS4s, their batteries are always dead.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No idea. I've played wired on PS4 this whole generation because the battery life is so bad.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I have had 3 dualshocks.

2 from launch - one only held for 15 minutes at this point so I got rid of it. Other I still have, lasts only about 2-3 hours.

I have one about 3-4 years old - lasts 5-6 hours.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I have two controllers but only really use one. I have one paired to my iPad Pro. My ds4 lasts long enough. I play roughly about 4 hours or more every day. Sometimes longer. Had these two controllers for years.

Ryukori

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It still lasts me around 6 hours of gameplay. I'm still using the controller that came with my launch PS4.

Oct 25, 2017
Can't hold a charge and now all of a sudden every controller I own wanna drift. Feel like I just got apple'd and Sony was like upgrade sucka

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The controllers I used in recent years are fine but they're from after the Slim/Pro came out and they got revisions (with the light bar shining through the touchpad). I don't use launch controllers anymore so I don't know how well those would've kept their battery today if I still did.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Yep. The ones I still use hold a charge for seemingly as long as they ever did.

Now this wouldn't be a problem if Sony actually manufactured charger cables that were longer than two feet, but for some reason they seem to think that you should only ever be able charge your controller when you aren't using it. As a result, unless you want to sit directly on the floor in front of your TV, using your charge cable and playing a game at the same time is basically impossible.

what

bro just buy a longer cable. They're standard micro-USB.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Mine last for an entire play session, all day on the weekend if I want to have a low-key recovery day. I never got people's complaints about the battery charge in the dualshocks, but maybe I've just had really good ones.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I have 2 and both last around 6 hours. So I swap em out. Ones always charging.

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I honestly have never had a Dualshock 4 die on me during a play session. Like for all the talk, not one time this entire generation.

I charge them after every use, though. But that's how I treat all my controllers.

Oct 30, 2017
All I remember is that the battery life was always pretty poor.

So It's sort of hard for me to tell if the battery life has gotten significantly worse or not. I can generally play a few hours with no issue.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's not great - I only seem to get about 6ish hours worth of gaming per charge, enough for a couple solid play sessions. I always keep one charged nearby.

I do use the back button attachment so I'm sure it could improve, but not by too much.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Mine died all the time until I imported the charging dock. Really annoying that they were never officially released in the US. The battery life is shit, but I have two, and typically at least one is fully charged from the dock every time I sit down, so I don't notice anymore. I'm getting the dualsense charging dock day 1 for the same reason.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I have no idea how long mine lasts since I always put it on charge between gameplay sessions (which are usually 2-4h). Not because I need to (it usually has the 3 battery bars, I rarely see only two), it's just an habit.

I do have rumble turned off and dim light, which I assume it helps.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I have 2 of the first gen that I've used for 5 years, and one from the new DS4 revision. I don't really measure it in hours but I'd say the old ones last a day and the new one about 3 days without charging.

Siinova

Oct 29, 2017
I have one that doesn't really charge properly or hold a charge that well. The other ones are fine, however. I usually just swap often so I don't run into charging issues that much.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yeah all good, even my 2014 one holds a charge just fine, but that one got a busted R1 so I don't use it anymore. I usually leave my main controller charging after a play session since my PS4 is in rest mode and I think I set it so that it keeps powering things for 3 or 4 hours. Y'all who have "battery doesn't last enough time" problems should do that, and yeah I'm talking about batteries that work fine.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I have two DS4, both from 2014, both still last for a few days of casual gaming. Maybe 5 - 7 hours?

Bohemian

Oct 26, 2017
The first couple I bought probably in 2014 are really bad - maybe 2 hours at most. I have one of the newer model ones (with the light at the top of the touchpad) and that one's help up fine.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Yeah mostly no problems here, I have 2 DS4 and besides both having stick drift the battery still lasts long enough

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i guess the atmosphere in my apartment discharges the ds4's battery through osmosis because every time i go to pick it up it has next to nothing. so then i plug it in and play for a while and then unplug it when i'm done to start the cycle all over again for next time.

WishIwasAwolf

Banned
Oct 24, 2020
The real problem is that every time I pick up any of my three DS4s, their batteries are always dead.
Sony did release too many GOTY contenders for a console nearing the end of it's lifecycle :( I have the same problem, only 2 controllers though, but when I swap them out I forget to charge the other one. The problem is that games like Death Stranding or TLOU2 take multiple sessions to complete for me.
I have the OG controller which never peeled and the one that came with the Pro 7200 which is now 1.5 years old. I notice a slight difference between the new and the old one, but apparently the original controllers had smaller batteries so I could be that

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
If only there were a battery standard that could be charged externally and swapped in and out of the handset so that this wasn't an issue 🤔

My first DS4 is pretty shot, but the second one is doing OK. Still only lasts like 6 hours though, which is abysmal compared to the competition.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
My Switch Pro Controller has me spoiled, whenever I play with the other two they barely hold it up, even the One I'm quite surprised to not last that much. The PS4 is really really bad (new or used I will have to charge it after two or three hours)

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I voted yes for me. But my brother has the worst luck with them. He just traded in a bag full of beat down controllers.

His problem was he'd leave them uncharged for long periods of time and you can't do that.