• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Wait, you don't start over when you die? You have infinite ammo? What?
He's talking about co-op (which I presume he just played with a second controller doing nothing), where yes you just respawn forever. Though you technically don't have infinite ammo; other than your pistol and 50 bullets the level will run dry.
Fingers crossed for Ancient Aliens.
Ancient Aliens is Boom, you need vastly more than dehacked to support that.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, you don't start over when you die? You have infinite ammo? What?

It's Co-op Nightmare.
So you just get sent back to the beginning of the level, and don't lose progress.
Infinitely spawning Shotgun Guys, means infinite shell drops.

Though you technically don't have infinite ammo; other than your pistol and 50 bullets the level will run dry.

However, in the vast majority of the levels, there are many shotgun guys who will all drop shells every time they die.
And since Nightmare has double ammo drops, it's 8 shells per guy.
Most levels also have a "big gun" spawn near the start too that you can always grab.

Last edited:

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
He's talking about co-op (which I presume he just played with a second controller doing nothing), where yes you just respawn forever. Though you technically don't have infinite ammo; other than your pistol and 50 bullets the level will run dry.

Ancient Aliens is Boom, you need vastly more than dehacked to support that.
Well fuck, time to spam Bethesda's Twitter some more, then!

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Well fuck, time to spam Bethesda's Twitter some more, then!
Boom support isn't going to happen simply because anybody asked. One of the key developers who worked on the original port is dead (Ty Halderman), and it's under a license that Bethesda/id Software can't reuse (Doom's original DOOMLIC license, which is strictly a non commercial license). The only way it'll happen is if someone does a complete clean room reimplementation of the specs.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I fired up the updated app on my Switch and... WOW! I wish I had this version when I was going through my play through last spring. The gyro aiming is such a godsend; I finally was able to hit those demons in one shot instead of shoot-adjust aim-shoot.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm bummed that the Xbox version still has stuttering issues. Tried it on two separate xboxes, and they both still had the issue.

Nester

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
DOOM for the Xbox Live Arcade had online multiplayer. A version of Duke3D just released on the Switch with online multiplayer.

They put the effort into updating the split screen deathmatch to 3.0 but aren't updating these games to include online cross platform multiplayer? Boggles the mind.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
DOOM for the Xbox Live Arcade had online multiplayer. A version of Duke3D just released on the Switch with online multiplayer.

They put the effort into updating the split screen deathmatch to 3.0 but aren't updating these games to include online cross platform multiplayer? Boggles the mind.
It's called logistics. Doom's original netcode (that the 360 version used) is extremely not suitable for modern online play, and adding a brand new netcode isn't something you just do. They already had the splitscreen code from all the way back from the original Xbox version, so they just kept that.

Denali_

Oct 23, 2019
As someone who has never really gotten into FPS-controls on console and never tried gyro-aim (but is very keen on learning since so many praise it), which gyro-settings do you recommend to start out with to get into it? I have the switch versions.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
I really appreciate that after what, a year since it's release, that these port are still being updated and worked on. Usually lackluster ports just remain lackluster, but I do commend them doubling down on making these ports worth owning and the definitive ways to play these ports.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Is controller support broken on PC? My Xbox One controller can get to the main menu, but doesn't do anything beyond that. I noticed the controller bindings in the settings are blank, but there also doesn't seem to be a way to map them, unless I'm missing something.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Tried it on Doom II last night, gyro aiming feels weird. The "roll" option is more like what I would expect, but having it only be on a single axis is weird, and somehow doesn't feel as right as just using the sticks. I was using a Pro controller on Switch. I'll need to play with it some more.

Oddly, I couldn't find a way to turn the gyro aiming off if I decide for sure I don't want to use it.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Wide-screen rules. Felt so new it took me a while to spot the reticule (which I obviously turned off)

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
The most impressive thing for me is that even after multiple updates and a completely unexpected amount of support for these versions, they've still completely neglected to offer ANY single decent multiplayer maps. I don't understand why this hasn't been addressed.... Doom 2 especially is fantastic for some splitscreen fun and yet there is literally not a single decent map accessible in the game despite the numerous updates. Am I the only one who finds this ridiculous?

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
The most impressive thing for me is that even after multiple updates and a completely unexpected amount of support for these versions, they've still completely neglected to offer ANY single decent multiplayer maps. I don't understand why this hasn't been addressed.... Doom 2 especially is fantastic for some splitscreen fun and yet there is literally not a single decent map accessible in the game despite the numerous updates. Am I the only one who finds this ridiculous?
Yes you are, considering everyone should know already that you can't just throw in any multiplayer maps. They have to be compatible with the engine, and they have to be maps that they can get the proper permissions sorted out for. You sure as hell couldn't just throw in Dwango5, for example. Heads would absolutely roll if that happened.
Most of the existing community maps (and specifically the ones anybody would actually want to play in Deathmatch) are either extremely unsourceable with textures and music from god knows where, and in some cases the maps themselves, or aren't even made in vanilla specifications, instead requiring Boom.

Just FYI, you can side in whatever you like on PC or Android, if that's what you specifically want.
Untitled3.png

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Yes you are, considering you can't just throw in any multiplayer maps.

I'm not asking for any specific multiplayer map or for a deluge of them... I'm saying please add at least one single decent one. Apparently asking for "just one" is asking too much though. You don't find it weird there's literallly not a single decent multiplayer map on offer (not even hyperbole) in a game that was extremely celebrated in it's heyday for it's multiplayer component?

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I'm not asking for any specific multiplayer map or for a deluge of them... I'm saying please add at least one single decent one. Apparently asking for "just one" is asking too much though. You don't find it weird there's literallly not a single decent multiplayer map on offer (not even hyperbole) in a game that was extremely celebrated in it's heyday for it's multiplayer component?
Funny you say decent, because the community standbys are actually Doom2 MAP01 and MAP07. SIGIL does also have some dedicated deathmatch maps, though that's Doom1 so you lack the SSG, which is sort of a deathmatch staple.

But yeah, the celebrated deathmatch was the likes of the DWANGO map sets (notably Dwango5 MAP01) and things like Judas23, not exactly mapsets that you can chuck up. It really is the case that the popular maps (aside from the aforementioned Doom2 MAP01 and MAP07) are the inaccessible ones.

One thing I would really like to see though is a 32in24 limit removing mapset done with the explicit notion of licensing it under creative commons, which would make that very accessible for Bethesda to publish.

Last edited:

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Just FYI, you can side in whatever you like on PC or Android, if that's what you specifically want.
Untitled3.png

Wasn't aware regarding Android (and sadly doesn't apply as the only android device I own is a cheap smartphone) but I'm mainly interested for some local splitscreen deathmatch fun that is inclusive of those without the inclination for using sticks to aim (Doom 2 is too simple to raise complications, essentially) so mainly looking for PS4 since as far as I'm aware you can't do splitscreen on the PC versions, can you?

Funny you say decent, because the community standbys are actually Doom2 MAP01 and MAP07.
I got started with PC gaming around the time Quake was going nuclear so I'm not familiar with how the Doom scene in particular worked, I'm just basing my impressions on all the excellent word of mouth I've heard throughout the years. That said, map 01 being a standby is really bizarre for me considering what I heard, though... that's the one we ended up playing the most as it was unanimously voted "least worst" among us after doing the rounds once over but even then it's just way too cramped for 4 players and the weapon variety is too limited. Have no recollection of map07 so won't comment on that but I suppose I'll check back in on it.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
These went from pretty mediocre ports (though honestly, I've played worse Doom ports guys) to very nice efforts huh?

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure if this was mentioned but mouse support has been stealth removed in 1.07 (PS4 version). Maybe it was a mistake when gyro aiming was added. Keyboard WASD amusingly still works fine.