• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I just so happened to dip into BTSX1 last night and found myself pleasantly surprised by the overall approach to the level pack, the art and the music.

Would recommend to anyone looking for a little bit more Doom. Keen to check out number 2 at a convenient moment.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Quick bump to note that they appear to have added widescreen, gyro aiming, reduced input lag and a few other improvements to these releases.

Nice.
Fantastic news. I'm still regularly playing these releases. I just finished No End in Sight and am now moving on to BTSX Episode 1.

Really happy to see Ultra Violence+ added in. That is huge for me.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Widescreen and reduced input lag are great, but I'm absolutely not feeling gyro controls lol. I feel like it'd work better by tilting the controller away and towards myself, rather than like a steering wheel.

Oct 25, 2017
Widescreen and reduced input lag are great, but I'm absolutely not feeling gyro controls lol. I feel like it'd work better by tilting the controller away and towards myself, rather than like a steering wheel.

Have a look at the gameplay settings. You can choose between yaw and roll for the gyro controls. Yaw is the default, I'm using roll right now and it seems better suited to my preference.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Have a look at the gameplay settings. You can choose between yaw and roll for the gyro controls. Yaw is the default, I'm using roll right now and it seems better suited to my preference.
I tried both, and they both feel off. Roll feels kinda OK with max sensitivity, but it's not really comfortable for me personally.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, another great update. They even fixed some stupid bugs that were left untouched all these years! And now these versions are on Steam available to people who already have Doom there, which is nice.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Neat, but the mouse aim is broken. More so with high/unlocked framrates. Feels like im turning a rusty gear.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
So just started playing again as I've been chipping away at inferno for some time now and while this update is great, gyro works good, you pick if its roll or yaw, the crosshair is nice to have and widescreen is pretty good, I think introduced some new bugs.
I'm playing on Switch and have been getting these weird freezes, where the music keeps playing but nothing else happens for a while.
The game is still playable, but that puts a damper on things.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is Ultra Violence+. ?
UV+, also called UV-Fast, is Ultra Violence balancing but with Nightmare monster and projectile speeds. For this release it is also using the multiplayer map item and weapon spawns. It's just a tougher, faster experience, without some of the drawbacks of Nightmare. I always find the respawning monsters in Nightmare to be such a slog.

I think it is the most fun way to play Doom 1 and 2. I would recommend everyone here check it out, at least for Knee Deep in the Dead. I wouldn't use it for some WADs though, or Plutonia.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
My Switch told me it updated the SNES app and "something else", but didn't say what.. lol. I guess it was this.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
UV+, also called UV-Fast, is Ultra Violence balancing but with Nightmare monster and projectile speeds. For this release it is also using the multiplayer map item and weapon spawns. It's just a tougher, faster experience, without some of the drawbacks of Nightmare. I always find the respawning monsters in Nightmare to be such a slog.

I think it is the most fun way to play Doom 1 and 2. I would recommend everyone here check it out, at least for Knee Deep in the Dead. I wouldn't use it for some WADs though, or Plutonia.

Wow, awesome

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
The PS4 versions seem to have a weird overlay if you press (or touch at all) the touch pad now. I don't remember that before. It goes away as soon as you press another button.

Icons appear in each corner.

2BXTtA2.jpg

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
The PS4 versions seem to have a weird overlay if you press (or touch at all) the touch pad now. I don't remember that before. It goes away as soon as you press another button.

Icons appear in each corner.

2BXTtA2.jpg
It looks like something you'd see on a phone screen if you were playing with touch controls. Is there a setting to control looking or movement with the touch pad?

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
It's crazy how Bethesda have turned these around. Outside of setting up your own Source Port on PC these are now a totally decent way to play Doom.

Also a periodical reminder for everyone to not sleep on the add-on wads. Some of these are of crazy quality. Stuff like BTSX or No End in Sight is among the best Doom you can play - imho far surpasses the original iwad campaigns.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like something you'd see on a phone screen if you were playing with touch controls. Is there a setting to control looking or movement with the touch pad?

I couldn't see anything in the options, and the in game controls graphic doesn't list any control options against the touch pad. Possibly something they haven't finished implementing yet, or perhaps just something that has just slipped in from the versions with touch screens.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
just played a few Doom II levels on PS4.

first of all... just wow @ playing those games in widescreen for the first time in my life. not only do they look better this way, they play better as your visual field is expanded. I feel like I've finally come full circle since the days when I was disheartened that Doom's frame rate was so low on my dad's 386SX in the early nineties. I might cry.

secondly... they fixed the map too! I remember the walls would flicker on and off as you scrolled through the map.

thirdly... did they do something with the audio as well? I kinda feel like the sound effects and music are more satisfying but that could be my imagination.

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I tried both, and they both feel off. Roll feels kinda OK with max sensitivity, but it's not really comfortable for me personally.
Yeah, not all gyro controls are created equally sadly.

Love it in Splatoon 2, but then stuff like Borderlands makes it so it barely does anything even on the strongest setting. DOOM 2016'S gyro I found OK (it definitely helped), but also felt it should have been better.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
i'm weirdly excited about this change:
  • Added secret area notification
i got super jealous after obsessing over these ports and then discovering all these people somehow getting secret area notifications on YouTube

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
just wow @ playing those games in widescreen for the first time in my life. not only do they look better this way, they play better as your visual field is expanded. I feel like I've finally come full circle since the days when I was disheartened that Doom's frame rate was so low on my dad's 386SX in the early nineties. I might cry.

I did a quick check on Switch, and widescreen feels transformative. You can really appreciate the level design with a much wider field of view, and the HUD feels less claustrophobic.

I'll say it again: there's an intimidating amount of content in either DOOM I or II. "Deathless" is my favorite add-on so far, but I've barely played most of them.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Im hours deep in this BTSX1 thing and its fucking great. Its so weird since it kinda feels like a weird sequel thats a little more advanced

Is there no way to fix this coop splitscreen because I hate all the wasted space

Riven

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man I thought my Pro controller was broken because the cursor was drifting all over the place. Did not realize gyro controllers were added and enabled BY DEFAULT.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Oh my, no more window frame. Thank you, Bethesda!

Also gyro aiming is being turned off right away. Hate that crap.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of free support these 5 dollar games are getting is astonishing. Massive kudos to the developers. Small nitpick at this point but it would be nice if they added achievements for the extra campaigns.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Man this support for DOOM and DOOM II is fantastic! Now add some bilinear filtering that can be turned on and off in the settings!

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
Man this support for DOOM and DOOM II is fantastic! Now add some bilinear filtering that can be turned on and off in the settings!
Im not very fond of bilinear but I would love being able to have an option to crank the internal resolution to native (right now is 960x600) at least in the PC version. Also it would be good to have the option to set a internal smaller resolution in Doom 64 (right now is 1440p and native 4k).

Oct 27, 2017
Credit where credit is due. Bethesda did a great job fixing the game. The fixed everything I had issue with and more.

Double dipped on PS4 and Switch to support this.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Im not very fond of bilinear but I would love being able to have an option to crank the internal resolution to native (right now is 960x600) at least in the PC version.
Actually it's 852x400 (16:9 but with the 1:1.2 pixel ratio) now, and cranking it up wouldn't go very well, it was brought down for a reason. As the resolution increases, aside from the exponential CPU performance hit (remember, Doom uses a software renderer), the mathematics used to draw everything start to fall apart due to the limited fixed point 32bit math. 960x600 alone was already proving problematic with the very noticeable flat seg warping for any segs intercepting the bottom of the screen.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
What it needs is combination scaling. If they use nearest neighbour scaling to the highest possible integer (eg 2x2 at 1080p or 4x5 at 4K) and then bilinear scaling to the final resolution, they can get a sharp interpolated look. Best of both worlds at the right viewing distance.

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this new version fixes the bad stuttering on the Xbox version. I swear it ran fine when they first introduced 60fps, but every time I go back to play I'm surprised at how bad it runs. And that's on both a regular X1 and a X1X. The game runs smoother on my Switch and PS4 (why do I keep buying it?)

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
You know what would be cool?
It would be cool if they added the 3DO and PS1 soundtracks.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
Actually it's 852x400 (16:9 but with the 1:1.2 pixel ratio) now, and cranking it up wouldn't go very well, it was brought down for a reason. As the resolution increases, aside from the exponential CPU performance hit (remember, Doom uses a software renderer), the mathematics used to draw everything start to fall apart due to the limited fixed point 32bit math. 960x600 alone was already proving problematic with the very noticeable flat seg warping for any segs intercepting the bottom of the screen.
Had no idea. Maybe I'm just too accostumed to GZDoom and thought it was something easier.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
You know what would be cool?
It would be cool if they added the 3DO and PS1 soundtracks.

In the meantime, you can buy the Doom PS1 and 64 soundtracks on Aubrey Hodges' Bandcamp!

aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com

Aubrey Hodges

Mr. Hodges’s music and sound design is heard in video games all over the world with a combined total of over 250 games totaling over 128 million units shipped since he began his career. Considered a pioneer in the games industry with a reputation for taking artistic and technical risks for...

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Had no idea. Maybe I'm just too accostumed to GZDoom and thought it was something easier.
GZDoom has unfortunately coloured a lot of misinformation about how Doom worked.

The ironic part of that is that while this port is restricted to the original technology and often gets its shortcomings compared to GZDoom, it gets accused and mistaken of it being just some Doom clone in Unity (Unity is just some wrapper and has no effect on how it ultimately runs), while it's GZDoom that's the port that is extremely far removed from the original engine.

Which is weird, even the title demo loop works here which it certainly doesn't in GZ.

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for the Nightmare Co-op Trophy? I don't have much of a prayer left for that one.

I did it solo.
Take advantage of the fact that you infinitely respawn.
Punch holes in enemy formations, and in most levels you can make it back to where you died before they respawn and go farther.
Infinite enemies means infinite ammo.
Watch Nightmare runs on youtube to get an idea of a good route.
Almost all levels in Doom 1 (haven't done the Doom II trophy yet) can be brute forced like this.
Just get that key, and it doesn't matter if you die in most levels, as it'll just usually bring you closer to the door if anything.
There is a level or two where it's vital to grab an invulnerability power up and get to the exit on the first go. For these, you'll want to restart if you fail, since Brute forcing won't be possible for most people.
Most of the levels aren't too difficult. I really recommend playing through the game normally immediately before going for this so that all the level layouts are fresh in you mind.

Knee Deep in the Dead is actually the hardest episode for this because of the closed spaces.

If you actually have a second person to play with you can just both brute force and it's fairly easy.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did it solo.
Take advantage of the fact that you infinitely respawn.
Punch holes in enemy formations, and in most levels you can make it back to where you died before they respawn and go farther.
Infinite enemies means infinite ammo.
Watch Nightmare runs on youtube to get an idea of a good route.
Almost all levels in Doom 1 (haven't done the Doom II trophy yet) can be brute forced like this.
Just get that key, and it doesn't matter if you die in most levels, as it'll just usually bring you closer to the door if anything.
There is a level or two where it's vital to grab an invulnerability power up and get to the exit on the first go. For these, you'll want to restart if you fail, since Brute forcing won't be possible for most people.
Most of the levels aren't too difficult. I really recommend playing through the game normally immediately before going for this so that all the level layouts are fresh in you mind.

Knee Deep in the Dead is actually the hardest episode for this because of the closed spaces.

If you actually have a second person to play with you can just both brute force and it's fairly easy.
Wait, you don't start over when you die? You have infinite ammo? What?

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
DeHackEd support means more elaborate mods are now possible.

Fingers crossed for Ancient Aliens.