• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I'll need to check if the Switch ports still have a massive deadzone on aiming.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
Do not sleep on No End in Sight, folks. It is completely fantastic. Starts out pretty much in a Doom the Way id Did manner, but it really goes places.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Double Impact is also available for DOOM 1!

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
Confirmed it's input lag and not dead zone, at least for me. I can't perceive any dead zone issues at all actually.

I used my Pixel 2 XL to make a slow motion video using the stock Android camera as a demonstration. Sorry for the poor quality.

I tried as best as I could (with one hand floating in the air) to simulate the normal twitch aiming I wold use to point from enemy to enemy if standing still. You can see in some parts where I barely flick it that the dead zone is fine. The lag is really bad though. Also: I don't know literally how slow the Android camera makes these videos so I can't give a % number on what the speed you're seeing is. I left it at whatever the default was and uploaded to giphy.

What platform was this recorded from? Controller doesn't look like a Nintendo one but could be 3rd party.

Doomg0d

Mar 26, 2019
Doom and Doom II got another patch today. Some things include the audio getting a complete overhaul. Automap had some changes made to it, added a kills, items and secrets counter to it which is pretty cool. Colours and such have been changed to clearly mark doors to make it quicker to find parts of the map that are unexplored. Also fixed the issues with lines disappearing. Quick load is faster.

Still no option to remove the picture frame though!
I absolutely hate the automap counters in the PC ports and always turn them off, and yet they didn't make this an option in the new ports. Really disappointed.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
It's gotta be their TV. I can confirm its not this bad on PS4. In fact there's no lag, but something is off with the aiming.

I'd bet from the steps taken by CatAssTrophy to identify the problem that he knows how to set its tv or monitor up for gaming.

Anyway, even if it's not lag, something about aiming was made worse by the 60fps patch and the game doesn't feel like it should, at least on Switch. It's even more obvious now that 64 is out and happens to run so perfectly.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
What platform was this recorded from? Controller doesn't look like a Nintendo one but could be 3rd party.

PS4 Pro with a standard DS4 controller. I had the same experience with my metallic blue as well as my purple DS4's so it wasn't a controller problem.

I'd bet from the steps taken by CatAssTrophy to identify the problem that he knows how to set its tv or monitor up for gaming.

Anyway, even if it's not lag, something about aiming was made worse by the 60fps patch and the game doesn't feel like it should, at least on Switch. It's even more obvious now that 64 is out and happens to run so perfectly.

Yes, I have my TV set up properly, and this is one of the extremely few games that have had any kind of lag between my input and it reflecting on screen. I even tried Doom 64 and it works PERFECTLY.

I haven't tried the old Doom games in a while but no new patches have released since the last time I tried it so I guess I just wasted the money on them.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Thanks for replying!

Have you played since the new update?

See above. No I haven't tried again since the last update a while back. Was a new one released?

Also, I remeber Digital Foundry saying they noticed a slight increase in lag but apparently it wasn't a big deal to them, but they may be using a super low latency set compared to my fairly impressive TCL 6 Series 65" unit.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
See above. No I haven't tried again since the last update a while back. Was a new one released?

Also, I remeber Digital Foundry saying they noticed a slight increase in lag but apparently it wasn't a big deal to them, but they may be using a super low latency set compared to my fairly impressive TCL 6 Series 65" unit.
The game got patched a few hours ago. Don't feel any improvement on Switch.

Also your TCL set seems to score around 20ms of display lag. It doesn't explain the results from your gif.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished episode 1 of No End In Sight. It's a wild ride, that much is for sure. Can't say I'm a huge fan of WADs where by level 2 you're in this crazy complex and huge geometries already with 200 enemies throughout the level, but they fit in well in the latter half of the episode where the spaces opened up.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Also loaded my previous 2 save files and they both worked without issue. (just to rule out anything being tied to a save file)

I was slaying tons of demon ass as opposed to me barely being able to hit anything that wasn't directly in front of me like it was before. As soon as I finish Doom 64 I'll swing back over to these to finish them up. :)

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so does the new patch fix the lag in all versions? Sorry for asking again but I didn't expect another patch to affect the game performance.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
So do the classic Dooms have input lag on all consoles? Or is that problem platform-exclusive?

Ah I see this was asked just earlier:

Wait, so does the new patch fix the lag in all versions? Sorry for asking again but I didn't expect another patch to affect the game performance.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus...there's arguably too much content in these ports now. What an incredible turnaround!

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's great! And who knows, we might even get Episode 3 before Episode 1's 10 year anniversary! :V

EDIT: To explain; BTSX Episode 2 was released as a beta in 2014, and development on the series sort of stalled after that. Communications about Episode 3 restarted last year, and about two weeks ago one of the developers said that their current main focus is to formally finish Episode 2 before going all in on Episode 3. Today, Episode 2 was finally officially released out of beta (which technically makes this mod a same-day release for the original Doom and this port), so now they can finally focus on Episode 3.

Last edited: