• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
FYI: For those having issues with sleep/wake on the Switch version, I find that either dropping to the home screen prior to sleeping or switching between the game and home after a wake makes the game 'active' again and can be interacted with.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I've really been having a lot of fun with this. I've finished all of Ultimate Doom on UV, which while not an amazing feat, Thy Flesh can be a real challenge at times on a controller. I've played through Sigil twice, once on HMP, and once on UV, and am currently about halfway through TNT on UV (just on the first secret level). I would have done Doom 2/No Rest for the Living first, but I actually have not bought the Doom 2 pack yet. Will pick it up next week.
I'd skip it. I made it 4 levels in and it doesnt get better, just awful compared to the previous ones.
Honestly, the first two maps are the good levels from Thy Flesh. Map 6 is pretty great too.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of episodes three and four in DOOM, and I didn't find myself enjoying DOOM II, either. (I quit playing DOOM II because of an elevator bug that prevented me from progressing.) Honestly, I like episodes one and two of the original DOOM, and Sigil is quite good, as well. I'd suggest sticking with those and waiting until DOOM 64 comes out, as that's one of the best DOOM campaigns, in my opinion.
I played the first 2 missions of Doom II just to test them out before I went back and finished OG Doom. Although I wasn't impressed by playing those first 2 missions yet, I find that it wasn't as awful as the first mission of Thy Flesh Consumed. I'll start playing Doom II proper tonight and see how far I go before I feel like it's a slog to go through and just skip it.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I played the first 2 missions of Doom II just to test them out before I went back and finished OG Doom. Although I wasn't impressed by playing those first 2 missions yet, I find that it wasn't as awful as the first mission of Thy Flesh Consumed. I'll start playing Doom II proper tonight and see how far I go before I feel like it's a slog to go through and just skip it.
Doom 2 is really fantastic. There are a couple levels I don't care for, especially one gimmick level, but its strengths far outweigh its weaknesses, and things like the super shotgun, and far larger enemy roster, really flesh out the game and combat. It has a very different design philosophy when it comes to maps and combat encounters, which really helps it stand apart.

Important to remember that episode 4 of Doom 1, Thy Flesh Consumed, was released after Doom 2, which is partly why it feels so different.

InPlosion

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Just me or the thumbstick on the right joycon seems to have an enormous deadzone? Any way to fix it? Or should I buy a pro controller...I find aiming very hard in doom 2

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Trying my first Doom I UV Pistol Start playthrough. I have just finished the secret level into The Shores of Hell and it starts to become brutal.

Especially when levels begins with a lot of enemies already aggro on you.

Last edited:

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Trying my first Doom I UV Pistol Start playthrough. I have just finished the secret level in Into The Shores of Hell and it starts to become brutal.

Especially when levels begins with a lot of enemies already aggro on you.
I was thinking of doing that, but I couldn't imagine doing a Perfect Hatred pistol start. Might just do the OG Doom 1 episodes. Best of luck with the rest of your run. I'd love to hear how it goes!

One thing i'd really love is getting an Ultra-Violence fast monsters option for these versions. Giving us the ability to customize the difficulty like in Blood: Fresh Supply would be just fantastic. I really like doing Doom challenge runs, and I really like fast monsters, but find Nightmare to just be a bit of a slog.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
guys

Thy Flesh Consumed SUCKS

not sure I can make it through this....I loved the first three episodes, but this ain't enjoyable at all.

what are the best add-ons to play? I own both games on Switch
Quoting myself to slap myself in the face.

Thy Flesh Consumed DOES NOT SUCK!

It's awesome!

The first two levels...yeah, they're brutal. But I actually think the second level is brilliantly designed, despite being really damn tough.

Once you make it to level three, the episode becomes MUCH more manageable. By the end of this area, you should have more than enough weapons and ammo to make it through the rest of the episode.

I ended up REALLY enjoying it!

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I'm trying to enjoy The Pluntonia Experiment, but it's too much with the amount of higher tier enemies it throws at you all at once (playing on Hurt Me Plenty). TNT Evilution isn't doing much for me either.

Sigil is cool though.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

It's awesome!

The first two levels...yeah, they're brutal. But I actually think the second level is brilliantly designed, despite being really damn tough.

Once you make it to level three, the episode becomes MUCH more manageable. By the end of this area, you should have more than enough weapons and ammo to make it through the rest of the episode.

Glad you ended up enjoying it! I really like the first two levels of Thy Flesh, I just think they're kind of poor intro levels, and I find the quality of the levels afterwards to be really inconsistent, and the difficulty curve practically doesn't exist. I have a lot of issues with it, but there are moments I enjoy. Maps 1, 2, and 6 especially.
I'm trying to enjoy The Pluntonia Experiment, but it's too much with the amount of higher tier enemies it throws at you all at once (playing on Hurt Me Plenty). TNT Evilution isn't doing much for me either.

Sigil is cool though.
Plutonia is really fantastic, but it is tough. I'd recommend playing through it, even if you have to drop the difficulty down quite a bit. It is arguably the best of the officially released level sets. TNT can be fun, and there are no outright bad maps, but it's a bit bland and can be boring. It does has really great secret levels. Plutonia is all about smaller and really tightly designed maps that will challenge you. I just love it, and it still challenges me even though I can just about fly through everything else on UV.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017

It's awesome!

The first level is tough as nails, but it's a perfect little puzzle box. Level 2 can die in a fire, I'm looking up a walkthrough so I can escape this stupid first room.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Plutonia is really fantastic, but it is tough. I'd recommend playing through it, even if you have to drop the difficulty down quite a bit. It is arguably the best of the officially released level sets. TNT can be fun, and there are no outright bad maps, but it's a bit bland and can be boring. It does has really great secret levels. Plutonia is all about smaller and really tightly designed maps that will challenge you. I just love it, and it still challenges me even though I can just about fly through everything else on UV.
I might give it another go on Hey, not too rough. I realise, though, that I don't like much of maps that are in the official expansion packs besides the ones in No Rest for the Living and Sigil.

Deleted member 28523

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
i remember the days when i thought plutonia was absurd. but they you move on and play hell revealed, alien vendetta, slaughterfest, ESP, sunder, okuplok, etc and realize what true nonsense is.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished TNT. Still find it a bit dull, but it's certainly not bad. Moving on to Plutonia now, which I am going to try to do on UV. We'll see how it goes.
I might give it another go on Hey, not too rough. I realise, though, that I don't like much of maps that are in the official expansion packs besides the ones in No Rest for the Living and Sigil.
I don't just like Plutonia because it is challenging, I like it because it has some interesting and quite smartly designed maps that feel very different from the base Doom and Doom 2 maps. There is one Plutonia map that I'm not fond of, but there are many, many highlights.

Zig6

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago IL
Just me or the thumbstick on the right joycon seems to have an enormous deadzone? Any way to fix it? Or should I buy a pro controller...I find aiming very hard in doom 2
I found the deadzone issue with the joycons to make the game much more difficult. I have been playing with the pro controller almost exclusively (in portable mode laying on my bed lol) and it's a significant improvement. I cannot imagine finish Doom Episode 4 or Doom 2 with the joycons on Ultra Violence.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found the deadzone issue with the joycons to make the game much more difficult. I have been playing with the pro controller almost exclusively (in portable mode laying on my bed lol) and it's a significant improvement. I cannot imagine finish Doom Episode 4 or Doom 2 with the joycons on Ultra Violence.

Both the Joy-Cons and the Pro Controller are horrible for this game, it's especially noticeable if you try to speedrun because you can basically not use the strafe speedboost. On speedruns.com you have people doing 10-11s regularly on E1M1, on Switch it's hard to go below 13. And that level is short as hell.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Plutonia on UV, which I'm a little proud of. I don't think I've ever finished it on UV before, and certainly not on console. The last time I played through it was the PS3 Doom Classic Complete release, but I did that on HMP. I did however cheat on one level, but it was the second secret level. I told myself that if I was going to do them, I'd allow myself to use the give ammo cheat to get through it if I got stuck, which I had to do to get the blue key. I don't mind too much since it's a borderline slaughter map.

I did run into a few glitches during the Plutonia run that I'd not encountered during the base game, TNT, or Sigil. There was quite a bit of sprite flicking on the monster sprites during one of the more chaotic battles of Go 2 It, and the final 5 or so level names just appeared as "Test" during the level transitions, but the names came up just fine on the map screen.

It was some of the most fun I've had playing Doom in quite some time. I really am very fond of Plutonia, and it wasn't too tough. Really the only map that really gave me a bit of a worry was the ending to map 12, Speed, where it probably took me a good 20-30 attempts or so for just the final room, and I do feel I got a bit lucky in the end. Everything else was relatively smooth sailing, and I am really glad that I have Odyssey of Noises memorized these days. Bit of a shame this version doesn't have leaderboards like the last gen versions.

Looking forward to what they add next to these releases. Hopefully we don't have to wait too long.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I did run into a few glitches during the Plutonia run that I'd not encountered during the base game, TNT, or Sigil. There was quite a bit of sprite flicking on the monster sprites during one of the more chaotic battles of Go 2 It
That would be the sprite limit in the renderer. It's capped off at 128, it's always been there.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Finally decided to snag these, and oh man - I'm so glad I did. I am replaying all the main doom games in prep for eternal. 2016 on PC, and the 3 ports on switch and ive had such a great time with them. I'm 7 years old at my uncles playing Doom again and having my mind blown. Great ports!

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would like to see a patch that improves the controls a little bit on the various systems.

1. On Switch using both Joy-Cons and the Pro Controller it's practically impossible to SR40 for some reason. This means that on E1M1 already we have a 9 seconds using a controller but it's not feasible on Switch, where you're basically capped at 12-13.
  2. SR50 is also something that is probably technically possible with a controller but I believe it requires you to have you hold the left stick exactly at 45 degrees, which is not very plausible.
  3. It's ridiculously easy on keyboard on systems that support it for example, as always run + diagonal run is automatic SR50 with turning, even.
  4. Speaking of plugging in USB devices, the mouse controls are wonky on the higher sensitivities, there's very obvious jaggies at higher speeds that should not be part of Doom. It's a lot smoother on PC, at least on sourceports.
  5. I know you can rebind buttons system-wide on Xbox One ans PS4 but it would be great if you could do that in the game itself, especially considering there's no way to remap KB+M with both having very standard but also limited controls (Use being limited to Space is not comfortable when you gotta smash that Space button high speed).

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
The level design in TNT Evilution is outstanding: tiny corridors that unfold like origami into huge complexes, excellent use and blending of the different tilesets, and some very devious puzzles, triggers and enemy encounters. I went ahead and bought Doom II, and I'm psyched to dive into Plutonia and more of Sigil. There's so much damn content for $5 that I feel greedy wanting even more add-ons, but here we are.

But man, the game freezes on me every single time I come back from sleep mode. With how easy quicksaving and loading the game is it's not a huge problem, but it's an annoying blemish on what's otherwise a very smooth and fast game.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
The level design in TNT Evilution is outstanding: tiny corridors that unfold like origami into huge complexes, excellent use and blending of the different tilesets, and some very devious puzzles, triggers and enemy encounters. I went ahead and bought Doom II, and I'm psyched to dive into Plutonia and more of Sigil. There's so much damn content for $5 that I feel greedy wanting even more add-ons, but here we are.

But man, the game freezes on me every single time I come back from sleep mode. With how easy quicksaving and loading the game is it's not a huge problem, but it's an annoying blemish on what's otherwise a very smooth and fast game.
Found it a bit of a mixed bag with a lot of clever ideas not always implement well, and mills hidden switch can go fuck itself.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

Think someone said if you go to the system home screen before you suspend it doesn't hang. Haven't verified myself yet though.

Nov 18, 2017
Sorry for the bump but didnt know where else to turn, im sure i remember there being an FAQ/BLOG/FORUM post from someone explaining how to add custom wads to this port?

please tell me i didnt imagine that, as i cannot find this post at all now

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
i am having a blast playing Plutonia and really happy with how far im making it in the game

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Only the first 2 levels. And the first is just a matter of clear execution.

Overall, I found No Rest For The Living on UV more difficult.
I agree, the start is is the hardest. Tried nightmare too but that requires a whole different kind of playstyle; speed run like.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
So yeah, fuck TNT to hell.
I could take all the random ass shit every other add on (and Doom 2) threw at me but fucking normal walls which you can walk through are enough.
I do not speak of a fucking secret btw. I talk about mandatory shit like keys "hidden" behind walls which you can walk through. NO hints whatsoever.
seriously?

(I do know that this is ranting about basicely free stuff but I just spent hours in a map searching for a key which was hidden behind a walkable wall...sorry but fuck that)

urgh :(

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Picked these up on the PSN sale.

I know this was mentioned earlier in the thread but... I was fucking around this morning and I decided to plug in a keyboard to see if I could bring down the console to input commands. I was shocked to find that wasd movement worked. So I plugged in my mouse and was blown away that it worked as well. I did some googling and I was shocked that this isn't well known. It wasn't even mentioned in this thread until the 2nd page.

Christ. I mean I know it's DOOM, but can we like just start getting kb&m support for console fps already? I get the multiplayer argument, but can we at least get this going for single player fps and 3ps?

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017

I know this was mentioned earlier in the thread but... I was fucking around this morning and I decided to plug in a keyboard to see if I could bring down the console to input commands. I was shocked to find that wasd movement worked. So I plugged in my mouse and was blown away that it worked as well. I did some googling and I was shocked that this isn't well known. It wasn't even mentioned in this thread until the 2nd page.

Christ. I mean I know it's DOOM, but can we like just start getting kb&m support for console fps already? I get the multiplayer argument, but can we at least get this going for single player fps and 3ps?

Oh crap. I wonder if it works for the Switch version too.

I know COD Modern Warfare did this on consoles, and can sort people in multiplayer exclusively based on their input method regardless of platform (controller people on PC playing against controller people on console, vice versa). It should really become standard going forward.

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Oh crap. I wonder if it works for the Switch version too.

I know COD Modern Warfare did this on consoles, and can sort people in multiplayer exclusively based on their input method regardless of platform (controller people on PC playing against controller people on console, vice versa). It should really become standard going forward.
Who knows man. If you can plug in a mouse (edit: or pair), I don't see why it wouldn't work on the Switch.
And that's pretty cool about MW, I had no idea. Damnit I wish devs would just start patching this into all of the older fps and 3ps.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It works, and I've been using it here and there. You can even do some speedrunning tricks with it you just can't realistically do with a controller. The downside is that the mouse movement is definitely wonkier than PC sourceports for Doom. It feels really snappy on higher sensitivites, and not in a good way. Not easy to adjust for high level plays - if you want to play KB/M, PC remains the best option. But still it's great to have the option.

Deleted member 28523

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Double Impact is pretty fun set of levels. but tbh I don't really remember it all that well. it's been quite a few years since i've played it.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Man after playing Doom 64 I really wouldn't mind a "PS1 Doom" filter/soundpack for these games. Really good atmosphere.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Doom and Doom II got another patch today. Some things include the audio getting a complete overhaul. Automap had some changes made to it, added a kills, items and secrets counter to it which is pretty cool. Colours and such have been changed to clearly mark doors to make it quicker to find parts of the map that are unexplored. Also fixed the issues with lines disappearing. Quick load is faster.

Still no option to remove the picture frame though!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Doom and Doom II got another patch today. Some things include the audio getting a complete overhaul. Automap had some changes made to it, added a kills, items and secrets counter to it which is pretty cool. Colours and such have been changed to clearly mark doors to make it quicker to find parts of the map that are unexplored. Also fixed the issues with lines disappearing. Quick load is faster.

Still no option to remove the picture frame though!

The support these ports are getting is absolutely unreal.