• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Glad they finally fixed it.

Still embarrassing as all hell to even release such shoddy ports in the first place. For Doom of all games. Glad console owners have a good option to play Doom now.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I couldn't bring myself to play Quake without a mouse, gyro, or steam controller. Quake is nothing like modern FPS games.

I don't have that issue, I'd happily play it on a controller, same for the original.

Part of me feels like Bethesda is going to put Machinegames on a Quake reboot next generation and perhaps then we'll see a bit of a resurgence of the originals.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Glad they finally fixed it.

Still embarrassing as all hell to even release such shoddy ports in the first place. For Doom of all games. Glad console owners have a good option to play Doom now.
Doom's had quite an interesting history of ports to be honest. There are very few fully featured ports in the first 10 years or so. Ports like the GBA games have entire levels/monsters missing, and whilst the PS1 version puts an interesting spin on the atmosphere, it removed entire levels and the Arch Vile to do so.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Doom's had quite an interesting history of ports to be honest. There are very few fully featured ports in the first 10 years or so. Ports like the GBA games have entire levels/monsters missing, and whilst the PS1 version puts an interesting spin on the atmosphere, it removed entire levels and the Arch Vile to do so.
If anyone is interested, Digital Foundry did a video about all (back then) Doom ports that were officially released in consoles.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are the ports the same on Switch as the are on the lolbox X? Would probably prefer Switch but not if there are issues.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
That Digital Foundy Retro video is, as always, excellent. I'd also like to throw out the Stop Skeletons From Fighting videos that look through some Doom ports, just for something with a different approach and energy:

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Is Brutal Doom out of the question to be added as a add on to Classic Doom now? I never played it, but it seems like it would be a great addition to these games. Or is it more than just a WAD?
It's a GZDoom mod. Technology wise it's basically a completely different engine. Meanwhile the mod itself is filled to the brim with assets and scripts the author just ripped from wherever he pleased and other authors, we are still finding people he's completely failed to credit, he has no ability to legally sign off on it.

Oct 25, 2017
This is my first time playing the master levels of Doom 2 and already enjoying it more than the base Doom 2 game. What's the consensus of how it ranks with Doom 1 and Doom 2 and their expansions?

Oct 28, 2017
It's a GZDoom mod. Technology wise it's basically a completely different engine. Meanwhile the mod itself is filled to the brim with assets and scripts the author just ripped from wherever he pleased and other authors, we are still finding people he's completely failed to credit, he has no ability to legally sign off on it.
Thanks for the reply. I would imagine theres a allot of legal grey areas with signing off on a mod in an official capacity, considering how many people have probably touched it over the years. Who knows whats in the code.

Rip and tear.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This is my first time playing the master levels of Doom 2 and already enjoying it more than the base Doom 2 game. What's the consensus of how it ranks with Doom 1 and Doom 2 and their expansions?
It's probably pretty low on my list, but it has been ages since I've played it.

If we wanna be a bit cheeky and do a little ranking of the officially (semi-official?) released episodes/map packs? I'd probably do:
No Rest for the Living = Plutonia = Sigil = Knee Deep in the Dead > Doom 2 > Shores of Hell > TNT: Evilution > Master Levels for Doom 2 > Inferno > Thy Flesh Consumed (like two maps that I love, and a really uneven progression/difficulty curse)

Like I said, it has been a while since I've played some of these, so my list may change quite a bit, but I plan on playing through all of them again with these releases. I'm just currently held up on playing through the incredible Blood: Death Wish 1.6, and then it'll be back to Doom.

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably pretty low on my list, but it has been ages since I've played it.

If we wanna be a bit cheeky and do a little ranking of the officially (semi-official?) released episodes/map packs? I'd probably do:
No Rest for the Living = Plutonia = Sigil = Knee Deep in the Dead > Doom 2 > Shores of Hell > TNT: Evilution > Master Levels for Doom 2 > Inferno > Thy Flesh Consumed (like two maps that I love, and a really uneven progression/difficulty curse)

Like I said, it has been a while since I've played some of these, so my list may change quite a bit, but I plan on playing through all of them again with these releases. I'm just currently held up on playing through the incredible Blood: Death Wish 1.6, and then it'll be back to Doom.
Thanks for the list. I've beaten the base games of Doom 1 and 2 and didn't know where to start with all these expansions. Thy Flesh Consumed was indeed the biggest chore to drudge through back when I played it on the Xbox 360 rerelease.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the list. I've beaten the base games of Doom 1 and 2 and didn't know where to start with all these expansions. Thy Flesh Consumed was indeed the biggest chore to drudge through back when I played it on the Xbox 360 rerelease.
Yeah, it is just really uneven. There are a couple of great maps, and some really dull ones, and little sense of progression to it. I was really disappointed with it back in the day. I think all the expansions are worth playing, though.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
guys

Thy Flesh Consumed SUCKS

not sure I can make it through this....I loved the first three episodes, but this ain't enjoyable at all.

what are the best add-ons to play? I own both games on Switch

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
guys

Thy Flesh Consumed SUCKS

not sure I can make it through this....I loved the first three episodes, but this ain't enjoyable at all.

what are the best add-ons to play? I own both games on Switch
I think they're all worth playing.

If you want to skip Thy Flesh, you can move on to Sigil or go on to Doom 2. Sigil being the most recently released, having just come out last year, takes a very different approach, but it is a Doom 1 expansion and I think much better than Inferno or Thy Flesh. After Doom 2 you should do No Rest for the Living, then TNT: Evilution, then Plutonia. This will give you the best difficulty curve, though Evilution has a bit of a mixed reception, so if you get bored, feel free to move on to Plutonia, which is excellent, but also the hardest of the Doom 2 expansions.

Feel free to throw in Master levels somewhere in there as it's more like a set of individual levels rather than a campaign. At least that is my advice of how to approach all of this.

Last edited:

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
Funnily enough, I seem to recall playing a Wii Homebrew version of Quake 2 and really liking how it played with Wii remote + nunchuk
yeah, the Quake Wii port was a really nice way to play it. I also got on quite well with the DS port.

I love Quake 1 and I want to play it on Switch, is what I'm saying

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they're all worth playing.

If you want to skip Thy Flesh, you can move on to Sigil or go to to Doom 2. Sigil being the most recently released, having just come out last year, takes a very different approach, but it is a Doom 1 expansion and I think much better than Inferno or Thy Flesh. After Doom 2 you should do No Rest for the Living, then TNT: Evilution, then Plutonia. This will give you the best difficulty curve, though Evilution has a bit of a mixed reception, so if you get bored, feel free to move on to Plutonia, which is excellent, but also the hardest of the Doom 2 expansions.

Feel free to throw in Master levels somewhere in there as it's more like a set of individual levels rather than a campaign. At least that is my advice of how to approach all of this.
Thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
Just gave in and bought all three games today.
Might actually go for the platinums, though the co-op Nightmare runs are gonna be brutal.

Pity the Wolfenstein levels are still censored. The lack of Wolf 3D enemies completely ruins them.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Pity the Wolfenstein levels are still censored. The lack of Wolf 3D enemies completely ruins them.
You might want to check that again. The Wolf3d enemies were restored.
15969e1147.png

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
You might want to check that again. The Wolf3d enemies were restored.

Interesting.
I did a deathmatch in the level and the corpses on the floor were all zombiemen, and the Nazi imagery was all censored.
I assumed it was just the same as the BFG edition.
Good if the enemies are restored though.
Still dumb that it's censored.

It's much better than the BFG version where a lot of the walls were just blank.

Last edited:

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Still dumb that it's censored.
The alternative was no re-release at all and the game stays permalocked to the PC with no new releases and homebrew for the rest of history, and over something not actually important to the rest of the game (it's an Easter egg in two maps exclusively on Doom2). There's frankly no sense doing that to the franchise over one small thing, it's not worth it.

Also it's not like it hasn't happened before. John Romero already removed Nazi imagery once. In Doom1, back in 1994.

Oct 25, 2017
The alternative was no re-release at all and the game stays permalocked to the PC with no new releases and homebrew for the rest of history, and over something not actually important to the rest of the game (it's an Easter egg in two maps exclusively on Doom2). There's frankly no sense doing that to the franchise over one small thing, it's not worth it.

Also it's not like it hasn't happened before. John Romero already removed Nazi imagery once. In Doom1, back in 1994.

Why would it be permalocked to PC over that?
It's an M rated game. There's nothing mandating that change in most countries.
It's not a big deal though since they restored altered versions of the previously removed imagery, so the level design is no longer compromised.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Why would it be permalocked to PC over that?
It's an M rated game. There's nothing mandating that change in most countries.
There's laws and regulations over the use of Nazi imagery in various countries, including Germany. From my understanding (haven't personally struck this problem so it hasn't been an issue I've had a chance to properly review), you have to prove that the use of said imagery is integral to the media in question and isn't morally objectionable. So for Wolfenstein that's easier to explain, the whole point of the game is you fighting Nazis. Doom though, and for a one off niche easter egg? Yeah that's getting nixed.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Just started playing Thy Flesh Consumed for the first time and, holy shit! The first mission with the lots of teleporting enemies. Thought it was awful, I had to turn it off after dying twice and call it a night. I'll try to see if I can manage to continue tomorrow. Ugh.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I'm honestly still impressed at how awesome No Rest For The Living was. Are there any other add-ons up to that quality that might make their way into these new Doom/Doom 2 releases?

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Just dropping in to say I'm so impressed with the level design and environmental diversity in The Shores of Hell; "Command Center" is a beautiful level to explore. My conception of Doom's graphic tilesets are based entirely on Shareware Doom, and every time I see a grisly new prop or vine-covered wall I get psyched. What an amazing game.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Finished the entire Master Levels for the first time ever. Or perhaps more accurately, the How The Hell Was I Supposed To Know That Without A Guide Levels. I see now why only a couple of them made it into the PlayStation version of Doom.

Lt.Chips

Nov 4, 2017
Just bought Doom on PS4 after learning about these updates. And it's so awesome! DS4 works surprisingly great on Doom. Blazing through the Knee Deep in Dead episode brought me back so many fond memories. Now to move onto Shores of Hell.

Btw, TNT Evilution and The Plutonia Experiment levels are available for Doom1 and doesn't have to be Doom2? This means I was using super shotguns and fighting Doom2 enemies in my Doom1 game (I haven't purchased Doom2 yet)! Minor stuff but VERY pleased.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Btw, TNT Evilution and The Plutonia Experiment levels are available for Doom1 and doesn't have to be Doom2? This means I was using super shotguns and fighting Doom2 enemies in my Doom1 game (I haven't purchased Doom2 yet)! Minor stuff but VERY pleased.
It's one way of looking at it, but what's actually going on is a lot more straightforward. TNT and Plutonia are IWADs, and as such all the addon system is doing is loading them up as the base content rather than as a mod, and the way Doom has worked since DOS means that the IWAD that's loaded is what changes what game rules are used. The same executable could load both Doom and Doom2 (which one it did load was based on which one it found first), and Final Doom worked much the same way.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
Just started playing Thy Flesh Consumed for the first time and, holy shit! The first mission with the lots of teleporting enemies. Thought it was awful, I had to turn it off after dying twice and call it a night. I'll try to see if I can manage to continue tomorrow. Ugh.
I'd skip it. I made it 4 levels in and it doesnt get better, just awful compared to the previous ones.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of episodes three and four in DOOM, and I didn't find myself enjoying DOOM II, either. (I quit playing DOOM II because of an elevator bug that prevented me from progressing.) Honestly, I like episodes one and two of the original DOOM, and Sigil is quite good, as well. I'd suggest sticking with those and waiting until DOOM 64 comes out, as that's one of the best DOOM campaigns, in my opinion.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Never had an issues with any of the chapters of og DOOM, but I hate most of DOOM II. I feel the same way about most of the add ons, a bunch of gotcha bullshit and traps.