• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
These additions are all fantastic but I agree they should have been there from day one. My annoyances with the initial PS4 version of Doom prompted me to repurchase the PC versions of Doom 1 & 2 that I misplaced all those years ago. I still play the console version fairly often though as I really enjoy Doom on the TV and I find it plays really well on the controller. Still, nothing quite beats Crispy Doom.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
For the expansions that are available in both Doom 1 and 2, which is it best to play them in? Or does it not matter?

I did that too. Have to die when you get to a new level so you start it with the pistol for the full experience.
I think I did this for master levels as they seem to be designed as standalone levels. Are the episodes also designed like this or is this a "beat Mario without jumping" style challenge?

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
For the expansions that are available in both Doom 1 and 2, which is it best to play them in? Or does it not matter?

I think I did this for master levels as they seem to be designed as standalone levels. Are the episodes also designed like this or is this a "beat Mario without jumping" style challenge?

Doesn't matter what game you play them in, they're the same either way. Even if you load the Final Doom games in Doom 1 they're still Doom 2 WADs with Doom 2 exclusive enemies/super shotgun/etc. Same thing with loading Sigil in Doom 2, it's still a Doom 1 WAD.

Every level can be completed from pistol start by design... still gonna be a pain in the ass for the later Doom 2/Final Doom levels though.

Oct 25, 2017

They should play the same in either version of the new releases as it's the same launcher for both.

I think the reason they did this is so that people who only bought Doom 1 wouldn't feel shortchanged since it would mean that Doom 2 would have got 3 free add-ons whereas Doom 1 only got 1.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't matter what game you play them in, they're the same either way. Even if you load the Final Doom games in Doom 1 they're still Doom 2 WADs with Doom 2 exclusive enemies/super shotgun/etc. Same thing with loading Sigil in Doom 2, it's still a Doom 1 WAD.

Every level can be completed from pistol start by design... still gonna be a pain in the ass for the later Doom 2/Final Doom levels though.
Thanks!

Hmm, guess I'll try it that way. Will distinguish it from previous playthroughs at least. Might cut down on my obsessive hoarding of health and ammo too

Nov 8, 2017
I just hope for the sake of OLED users that they get rid of the borders for the next patch.
I don't understand why devs do this shit in the first place. I think most people would be pretty annoyed if they bought a 21:9 movie to watch on a 16:9 TV and the horizontal bars were filled with some stupid pattern. Just leave the damn unused area black.

Nov 8, 2017
With this update, the PS4/Xbox One/Switch versions can now play every official level, though Doom 1 and 2 are sold separately.
Prior to this, only Doom Classic Complete on PS3 had every game and expansion pack in one package.
I don't think any version includes every level, as I'm pretty sure the PS1 version had a few extra levels that haven't appeared in any other version since then.

Oct 25, 2017
Heya!

I'm attempting to play through all of the Doom series before Eternal, and I'm curious about the best play order. Here's what I'm thinking:

Doom vanilla > Sigil > Doom II vanilla > The Plutonia Experiment > TNT: Evilution > Doom III > Doom 2016 > Doom 64 > Doom Eternal

I think canonically 64 goes between II and III, but obviously the re-release isn't happening until March 20.

Also, are there any gameplay tricks or insights I should know about with the classic titles? And should I try seeking out the secrets, or do they not provide worthwhile rewards?

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
The Switch version crashes for me every time I put the Switch to sleep and I have to restart the game. Kinda defeats the whole point of a Switch version.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
There was no addons before the latest update so he can't have been playing a different version from now. From that one can conclude he means the weekend past, I.e the one just been.

Also I too haven't been getting any (noticeable) input lag. Switch and PC. Joycons aren't great to play with but then they've always been a bit fickle for FPS. Gyroscope input is usually great for cleaning that up, though certainly not easy to implement in old engines so I'm certainly not complaining, been down that road before myself.

Correct.

I am on PS4 Pro with the most up to date version as of the time I posted that gif. It's the one that added sigil and others, the weapon selection thing, 60fps, etc.

Not at home so can't check the actual version number though. Haven't touched the game since making the gif either.

Nov 18, 2017
Heya!

I'm attempting to play through all of the Doom series before Eternal, and I'm curious about the best play order. Here's what I'm thinking:

Doom vanilla > Sigil > Doom II vanilla > The Plutonia Experiment > TNT: Evilution > Doom III > Doom 2016 > Doom 64 > Doom Eternal

I think canonically 64 goes between II and III, but obviously the re-release isn't happening until March 20.

Also, are there any gameplay tricks or insights I should know about with the classic titles? And should I try seeking out the secrets, or do they not provide worthwhile rewards?

Dont forget No Rest for the Living which is the originally 360 exclusive bonus levels which can be found under the modern doom 2 add ons. Id probably play it after Doom 2 but before the Final Doom packs

I remember hating one of the final doom packs and not being particularly fussed on the other either so good luck with those my advice would be to just skip them.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
This has prompted me to buy doom. Just under 4 quid. Nice. I realised I've never had a proper crack at playing through Doom. I've probably played the first couple of levels dozens of times over the years. Let's do this !

drock5k

Aug 3, 2018
I had this prepatch but not with the new patch. Weird
Doom 1 or 2? Or both?
I had something similar Doom 1 post-patch. When I woke the Switch up, my game was still going on but the main menu screen was also loaded. Controls managed both the game and the menu overlay navigation. I couldn't cancel out of the menu and eventually died in the game.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Does anyone else find themselves wishing an official release of these classic DOOM games would allow you to enable looking up/down? I know it's not authentic to the original experience, but I feel as though there are too many moments in these games in which you need to drop into a pit and have almost no idea what you're getting yourself into. Also, on the same note, I'd love for them to update the engine to at least let you pass enemies who are below or above you, because it's a real shame when you try "jumping" across a pit, only to have an imp or something that's far below you block your progress and damage you. Speaking of jumping, I know it changes the flow of levels, but it'd also be nice to have the option to enable actual jumping as some source ports allow.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Heya!

Doom III is technically a different canon. Great game all the same though.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Does anyone else find themselves wishing an official release of these classic DOOM games would allow you to enable looking up/down? I know it's not authentic to the original experience, but I feel as though there are too many moments in these games in which you need to drop into a pit and have almost no idea what you're getting yourself into. Also, on the same note, I'd love for them to update the engine to at least let you pass enemies who are below or above you, because it's a real shame when you try "jumping" across a pit, only to have an imp or something that's far below you block your progress and damage you. Speaking of jumping, I know it changes the flow of levels, but it'd also be nice to have the option to enable actual jumping as some source ports allow.

In doom2, hell yes.
Some stages are simply not designed for horizontal-looking only.
There are several moments where important stuff like switches and platforms are outside your FOV because you can't look up and down.

Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't say that what you're asking for is entirely out of the question, but I'd say it is pretty unlikely.

Doom source ports do a great job at enabling that kind of stuff, and a low spec PC from the past two decades would fulfill what you're asking for.

Another aspect to bear in mind, though I wouldn't hold too hard to this point, is that Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal are the options that ID and Bethesda are offering to hit some of that for you.

Like I said I wouldn't hold to that point too firmly but I think the scope for these releases is more along the lines of getting the old games onto modern platforms and building a bit of enthusiasm for their upcoming game. I'm glad that they've given them a bit more time in the oven over the past few months.

I would really like to see Quake get a similar treatment as Doom has in the past year, but that same argument can be held up as a reason as to why that might not happen straight away.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Doom source ports do a great job at enabling that kind of stuff, and a low spec PC from the past two decades would fulfill what you're asking for.

Another aspect to bear in mind, though I wouldn't hold too hard to this point, is that Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal are the options that ID and Bethesda are offering to hit some of that for you.
I'm aware that source ports offer stuff like that, but it'd be nice for that sort of stuff to find itself into an official release to make the games play a bit more intuitively. I've finished DOOM 2016 and do plan on getting DOOM Eternal. I've just never really played through all of DOOM II, and the aforementioned issues (and the fact that DOOM II really doesn't seem to be as good as the original DOOM, in my opinion) are really making it more difficult than I'd like to actually want to play through much of the game in one sitting.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I've talked about it before in this thread, the gist is vertical aiming can sequence break and thus is extremely unlikely to happen as it can be easily considered a fundamental gameplay change extremely out of scope. Community source ports add these things, sure, but this isn't a community source port. This is Doom.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I think I'm finished playing DOOM II. After spending a while on the Downtown level with no idea as to how to go about getting the yellow key, I researched the matter online and found that an elevator bug is preventing me from getting it. Since it's somehow caused by loading/saving the game, and this game takes monster closets to a level far beyond anything even in the original DOOM, I honestly have no interest in replaying this level to see whether the elevator decides to cooperate. It's baffling to me that this hasn't been fixed, despite how many times DOOM and DOOM II have been re-released.

Oct 27, 2017
Having a very serious issue in Doom 2 where the game's start menu will randomly open during game play.
That's what I mean. It's just the pause screen stuck with sound in the background. Effectively a crash to me.

yep, have had this happen as well. Didn't realize what was causing it before. "Push to start" shows but I can still move my character in the background

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I think I'm finished playing DOOM II. After spending a while on the Downtown level with no idea as to how to go about getting the yellow key, I researched the matter online and found that an elevator bug is preventing me from getting it. Since it's somehow caused by loading/saving the game, and this game takes monster closets to a level far beyond anything even in the original DOOM, I honestly have no interest in replaying this level to see whether the elevator decides to cooperate. It's baffling to me that this hasn't been fixed, despite how many times DOOM and DOOM II have been re-released.
Doom's save serializer was originally made and optimised for DOS, 25Mhz and 2-4 MB RAM. You can't just simply "fix" old stuff or it just falls completely under the radar (like a random obscure bit of information missed that exactly only one map needs for a specific action not everyone encounters anyway), it's all designed a very stringent and strict way as it deliberately cuts down as much information as possible for the purpose of of storing the smallest amount of data possible as quickly as possible.

Last edited:

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
So because of all this I spent the weekend setting up PlayStation DOOM TC on ZDoom even though I have no nostalgia for that version. It's actually pretty dope. Maybe the best title screen intro in Doom.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
So because of all this I spent the weekend setting up PlayStation DOOM TC on ZDoom even though I have no nostalgia for that version. It's actually pretty dope. Maybe the best title screen intro in Doom.
That music is just so apocalyptic to me. Like absolute despair and "Hell is coming" in audio form.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Heya!

I wouldn't worry too much about it, the story barely matters or makes any sense.

I would consider skipping the two Final DOOM episodes, unless you are absolutely loving the experience and need more DOOM II. They're basically expansion packs and while they do have some interesting design stuff it's not worth burning yourself out after playing like 80 levels between 1, Sigil and 2. If you do play them you should probably do Evilution before Plutonia. The difficulty seriously ramps up in Plutonia. It is super hardcore.

If you absolutely want to play everything then there's also No Rest for the Living, The Master Levels, Resurrection of Evil, and The Lost Mission. All of those are included with the 2019 ports though.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Heya!

Cannon based on theories established Doom 3> Doom> Sigil > Doom 2> Final Doom >Doom 64 > Doom > Eternal as it theorized that Doom guy was left in hell after killing the demon queen hence the sarcophagus found in hell housing the doom slayer

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Doom 3 is its own story, as it's a retelling of Doom1, and thus can't come before it.
Heck even Final Doom and Doom64 conflict with each other, as they both come after Doom2 and are both endings.
Just various things i have read sort of pointed to that some say Doom3 is an alternate cannon others say a retelling but even as a retelling it takes place before the invasion at the start so it makes it first

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't mean to get too Game Theory in here, but since we're discussing the Doom canon and how that might affect people's playthroughs of these re-releases, I really enjoy this take, which points to a unified narrative.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

JR: Skillsaw and his Ancient Aliens mod are my favorite

Romero with the absolute best opinions.

But I do want to work on another set of maps for one of my classic games.

Quake 1 Maps incoming? :o

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
In case anyone was wondering, these updates were also released for the mobile versions of the games. I just bought Doom and Doom II for my Pixel with some Play Store credit, and both games run at 60FPS, have the aspect ratio options, support add-on levels, etc.

starpower

The Fallen
Jan 23, 2018
Canada
I thought there was a collection with all of these re-releases, I'm on PS4. Or do I have to buy them separately?
one package but the old games are just download codes

s-l400.jpg

Clear_Strelok

Mar 22, 2018
So... Isn't the audio kinda broken ? There seems to be some weird positional issue where sounds from both monsters and guns are moved to the far left or right even though ennemies are actually facing you. You can hear it there, for example:

Last edited:

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
when looking at the map, has anyone noticed how parts of the walls flicker on and off based on your movement/position? as a result, I'm having to constantly move around to confirm whether the missing parts of the map I'm seeing are genuinely unexplored space, or just visual glitches.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the technical trickery that was used to make the game 60fps...

Last edited:

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
Great video.

Also, since there's been a decent amount of criticism in this thread including by yours truly, I just wanted to say that I've been having a wonderful time with the game on my PS4 since the new patch. Doom is a game I played countless times over the years but I'm not sure if I ever actually finished it. I'm currently going through Inferno after playing through the first two episodes and plan on moving on to the added content after I'm done with the main episodes.

It's amazing how well this game continues to age. I think part of it has to do with the beautifully drawn sprites, which brings me to my question. Does anyone know if there are modern shooters out there that use sprites instead of 3D models? There is a metric ton of 2D games out there featuring awesome pixel art but I can't really think of anything emulating the Doom/Wolfenstein/etc aesthetic in a retro fashion.

In other words, something that would be to Doom what Shovel Knight was to the likes of Mega Man and DuckTales.