• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
The DPad appears to only select specific weapons. I just want to be able to cycle forward and backward through the entire weapon order without any delay. This is how it's worked in every console port of Doom until now.
This is better because instead of waiting for every weapon to be pulled out and put away as you scroll through, it goes straight to whatever weapon you actually wanted.
Don't wait for the weapon to be pulled out to press R again, just tap R until the weapon you want is selected, then that one will be pulled out. That's what the icons are there for.

Yup

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
played through Sigil and thought it was pretty good. Definitely feels more like traditional DOOM and what could have been an episode 5 than something like Final Doom or Master Levels. I might even like Sigil more than Thy Flesh Consumed. Great music too!

I've only played Final Doom for PSX back in the day, so I missed like half the levels. Thinking about starting up Final Doom tonight. Kinda weird you can load them from the original, so you just get the Doom II monsters and super shotgun in Doom 1?

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I'm having an issue where if I'm playing an add-on, and I put the Switch to sleep, when I come back to it it's frozen and I have to quit the game.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm just a bit rusty, but I'm having a hard time speedrunning with 60fps, it's so damn different and the extra frames mean you need to have faster reaction times. I hope in the future they toggle in an option to change between the original 24fps and this smooth 60fps, which feels awesome for regular playing but not so much when you're hunting records.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Maybe I'm just a bit rusty, but I'm having a hard time speedrunning with 60fps, it's so damn different and the extra frames mean you need to have faster reaction times. I hope in the future they toggle in an option to change between the original 24fps and this smooth 60fps, which feels awesome for regular playing but not so much when you're hunting records.
Surely you mean 35FPS? 24FPS is a movie framerate. Also no, you shouldn't need faster reaction times, the game runs at the exact same speeds, just with interpolated frames between the original 35hz keyframes (the playsim has no extra frames, nothing can act outside the original 35hz without breaking the original gamelogic, include the player themself).

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Glad I'm not the only one having issues with the controls after the patch. I typically play the first doom on UV, but I had to turn the difficulty down due to my poor aim now.

Are you having input lag like I am?

Normally I can kind of deal with it, but it's REAL bad in this after the patch. It's almost like input lag + the dead zone in the sticks got real big suddenly too.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Somebody tell me why I shouldn't buy iOS Doom.

I already have PC Doom but it'd be neat to have it on a portable device, and if I really need buttons I'm sure it connects to controllers through bluetooth right?

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Are you having input lag like I am?

Normally I can kind of deal with it, but it's REAL bad in this after the patch. It's almost like input lag + the dead zone in the sticks got real big suddenly too.
After playing a bit more today, it seems like my big issue is the dead zone. Aiming feels jerky and imprecise for me now. I had sensitivity at one tick below the max when I played through episode 1 after the music patch came out. It felt great. Now it feels real rough. It's easier for me to aim by running around to line up shots instead of looking.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
After playing a bit more today, it seems like my big issue is the dead zone. Aiming feels jerky and imprecise for me now. I had sensitivity at one tick below the max when I played through episode 1 after the music patch came out. It felt great. Now it feels real rough. It's easier for me to aim by running around to line up shots instead of looking.

I see. I"ll test more tonight and see if maybe it's just a big fat dead zone and not so much input lag. Hopefully it was unintentional and they update to fix it if that's the case.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Don't wait for the weapon to be pulled out to press R again, just tap R until the weapon you want is selected, then that one will be pulled out. That's what the icons are there for.

It's half baked. This is all fine and good unless you just want to move one weapon up or down, in which case tapping once still has a delay.

Have you played literally any other console port of classic Doom?

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Took the plunge after seeing the news. I can't tell if the aiming feels off because joycons for shooters is terrible, or because I'm used to GZDoom with an XB1 pad.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I experienced this as well.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I love how DOOM controls on handheld Switch, it feels so fast and smooth. I could barely survive the first five minutes of Sigil, but the level and art direction are incredible.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Just played through Sigil again but with a pro controller so I could actually move. I think Sigil is really strong. I like it more than Thy Flesh Consumed for sure. It's neat how Romero made an episode that kind of feels like it could have been made back in the day and it actually has a consistent visual theme, the red cracks in the ground are particularly cool. It feels closer to a follow up to episode 2 and 3 than TFC does.

and the pro controller...wow, it's nice lol. I know I am years late to the party, but it's a good controller and playing it after playing a bunch on the joy con is like getting out of jail or something. Amazing feeling.

brobban

Oct 28, 2017
So I just bought Doom on Xbox a few minutes ago. Standing still and rotating slowly there is very notable stuttering. Is this normal?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any versions of Doom that have every significant level from all the various ports collected (excluding the ones that are just simplifications of existing levels for weaker hardware)?

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Confirmed it's input lag and not dead zone, at least for me. I can't perceive any dead zone issues at all actually.

I used my Pixel 2 XL to make a slow motion video using the stock Android camera as a demonstration. Sorry for the poor quality.

I tried as best as I could (with one hand floating in the air) to simulate the normal twitch aiming I wold use to point from enemy to enemy if standing still. You can see in some parts where I barely flick it that the dead zone is fine. The lag is really bad though. Also: I don't know literally how slow the Android camera makes these videos so I can't give a % number on what the speed you're seeing is. I left it at whatever the default was and uploaded to giphy.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
Are there any versions of Doom that have every significant level from all the various ports collected (excluding the ones that are just simplifications of existing levels for weaker hardware)?
With this update, the PS4/Xbox One/Switch versions can now play every official level, though Doom 1 and 2 are sold separately.
Prior to this, only Doom Classic Complete on PS3 had every game and expansion pack in one package.

Naked Snake

Oct 27, 2017
Confirmed it's input lag and not dead zone, at least for me. I can't perceive any dead zone issues at all actually.

I used my Pixel 2 XL to make a slow motion video using the stock Android camera as a demonstration. Sorry for the poor quality.

I tried as best as I could (with one hand floating in the air) to simulate the normal twitch aiming I wold use to point from enemy to enemy if standing still. You can see in some parts where I barely flick it that the dead zone is fine. The lag is really bad though. Also: I don't know literally how slow the Android camera makes these videos so I can't give a % number on what the speed you're seeing is. I left it at whatever the default was and uploaded to giphy.

It's like every update for this game breaks something...

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017

*sigh*

Thought my aiming was off and was blaming tiredness... this is basically unplayable.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Yeah I (hopelessly) tweeted Bethesda about the issue and called it quits. Hopefully a fix is released. I was really excited to play through all of these- especially with the add ons they released in this new update.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This new version feels so damn good to speedrun. Without mouse look and tricks like SR50 the times aren't obviously on par with the PC version, but at the same time due to a more streamlined experience with fewer exploits and advanced keyboard tricks it feels like speedrunning a more vanilla Doom, one running at a buttersmooth 60fps. Personally haven't noticed any input lag, I'm doing some very solid times.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017

Wait. What version is that?
I played the D1 addons on switch for hours last weekend and I def didn't experience such bad input lag.
I would have notice that

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Last weekend was before the recent update.
There was no addons before the latest update so he can't have been playing a different version from now. From that one can conclude he means the weekend past, I.e the one just been.

Also I too haven't been getting any (noticeable) input lag. Switch and PC. Joycons aren't great to play with but then they've always been a bit fickle for FPS. Gyroscope input is usually great for cleaning that up, though certainly not easy to implement in old engines so I'm certainly not complaining, been down that road before myself.

Last edited:

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
There was no addons before the latest update so he can't have been playing a different version from now. From that one can conclude he means the weekend past, I.e the one just been.

Also I too haven't been getting any (noticeable) input lag. Switch and PC. Joycons aren't great to play with but then they've always been a bit fickle for FPS. Gyroscope input is usually great for cleaning that up, though certainly not easy to implement in old engines so I'm certainly not complaining, been down that road before myself.

Oops