• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Quikies83

Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi
Just played through the first episode Doom I. Still great. Love the additions and can't wait to dive in.

Is anyone playing with the new brightness settings? I'm actually having to turn the brightness up 3 notches and the level brightness 2... Curious about others settings

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Just gave Doom 1 a spin with the patch. HUGE amount of input lag now. Anyone else experiencing this? I could barely hit any enemies whereas the last time I played it a few months ago I had no issues.

PS4 Pro, 4:3 mode. Didn't see any way to disable 60fps mode or any other options.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
images

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Chainsaw sound effect is bugged.

I do have an increasing list of nitpicks with this, but I am nearing the end of Sigil and it's still been a great way to play it, and this a solid port. Hopefully we'll see another patch to clear out these minor issues. One frustration is that it seems that you only get 5 save slots and 1 quick save slot for all the games in that release, which while manageable, seems a bit restrictive.

Honestly my one big this is that they add the BFG to the second d-pad button press after the plasma gun, or even map it to square (or its equivalent).

Not to oversell it, but I do love No Rest for the Living. Hope you enjoy it!
I'll oversell it - it's like if John Romero designed the Inferno episode, but with Doom 2 monsters and the Super Shotgun. It's excellent.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
That may also not happen (though who knows, frankly the add-ons system itself is surprising in itself, though fundamental gameplay changes is a rather different category). Manual vertical aiming would allow for easy progression breaking in many vanilla maps. As a minor example, MAP30 of Doom2 can be broken over its knee with this ability, while more egregious examples is any shootable switches that require the player to be at a specific elevation elsewhere in the map (Memento Mori II MAP03 comes to mind). Also you'd be stuck with Y shearing given it's the original software render, which is generally undesirable for most people.
Yeah well that's literally the only way to beat that level because fuck the official method in the ass. Whoever thought that very precise timing with a rocket launcher while a dozen heavily armed enemies fire at you on a tiny quickly rising platform is an idiot. I cheese the 30th level in all three DOOM II games with aiming because fuck that shit.

Y Shearing would only happen if it's a vanilla engine. Which obviously it is. I'm used to source ports that use the Quake engine so they render 3D in actual 3D instead of just raycasting. (Yes I know DOOM isn't technically a "raycasting engine" but you know what I mean.)

Obviously I'm just posting a wishlist. Really what I want is a Switch port of GZDoom instead of what we got and I know we're not gonna get that. lol

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
If you've always wanted an easy way to play Back To Saturn X local co-op (or frankly any other vanilla mapset), the PC port with Xbox One gamepads ain't a bad option.
9628082c8f.png

Uncle Sensei

Oct 25, 2017
No disrespect to the MIDI soundtrack, but Sigil is so much better with Buckethead. Wish there was a way to pay to get that in there

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
is the weapon wheel only in doom II? I am playing the original now and I have the new fast weapon switching but the UI is just like a bar at the top, I don't see the weapon wheel someone tweeted.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Thanks for the link. I've already checked that link out before I posted. What I wanted to know was what random pitch shift actually does/affect in the game. Hope you or someone else can explain what it does. Because I don't notice a difference. LOL.
The name describes what it is, it's random sound pitch; The sounds are played back at random pitches to make repeated sounds more distinct. Extremely noticeable with something like the plasma rifle.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
The name describes what it is, it's random sound pitch; The sounds are played back at random pitches to make repeated sounds more distinct. Extremely noticeable with something like the plasma rifle.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the simple explanation. I'm gonna try to check if I can notice the difference now.

Nov 8, 2017
60fps is awesome!

Now it just needs an update to add the much better soundtrack and effects from the PS1 version and then it would be perfect!

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
Doom is one of those games that I just never played for some reason, even though I'm ancient.
Would you guys recommend starting with 1 or jumping to 2 immediately?

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Just played through the first episode Doom I. Still great. Love the additions and can't wait to dive in.

Is anyone playing with the new brightness settings? I'm actually having to turn the brightness up 3 notches and the level brightness 2... Curious about others settings

I had to enable the nightvision cheat in D2 pre patch cause I couldnt see shit.
I hope its better now

Riven

Oct 27, 2017
These additions are so awesome. I just noticed cheat mode, but maybs that was there before.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the simple explanation. I'm gonna try to check if I can notice the difference now.
I'd definitely recommend playing with it on.
I had to enable the nightvision cheat in D2 pre patch cause I couldnt see shit.
I hope its better now
It has been a while, but I believe the lighting in these releases is quite faithful to the originals. A lot of source ports really messed with the lighting, and I think people became a little too used to that. It can even spoil a few of the traps in the games.

Last edited:

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
On the Xbox, the new weapon selection thing causes a delay. Pressing RB or LB to cycle weapons doesn't have an immediate effect. There's also ugly red and yellow icons for weapons now.

The monkey's paw closes another finger.

Jun 17, 2018
Played some of SIGIL on Switch last night. 60fps is instantly noticeable and is god damn delightful. Only thing is the controls feel a little floaty like there is input delay in Joycons.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
I'd definitely recommend playing with it on.

It has been a while, but I believe the lighting in these releases are quite faithful to the originals. A lot of source ports really messed with the lighting, and I think people became a little too used to that. It can even spoil a few of the traps in the games.

I dunno.
I played through doom 1+2 on its release decades ago and I cant remember them being THAT dark.
Maybe it was the CRT monitor back then

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Glad I'm not the only one having issues with the controls after the patch. I typically play the first doom on UV, but I had to turn the difficulty down due to my poor aim now.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
On the Xbox, the new weapon selection thing causes a delay. Pressing RB or LB to cycle weapons doesn't have an immediate effect. There's also ugly red and yellow icons for weapons now.

The monkey's paw closes another finger.

That's a design choice.

You can use the dpad to quick select but the lb\rb selection doesn't finalise until you stop pressing buttons.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
That's a design choice.

You can use the dpad to quick select but the lb\rb selection doesn't finalise until you stop pressing buttons.

The DPad appears to only select specific weapons. I just want to be able to cycle forward and backward through the entire weapon order without any delay. This is how it's worked in every console port of Doom until now.

LongDongJunon

Nov 13, 2017
Since these add ons could be opening the door for more modifications, realistically, what are the chances of brutal doom coming to conosles through this avenue?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since these add ons could be opening the door for more modifications, realistically, what are the chances of brutal doom coming to conosles through this avenue?

Somebody already answered but the amount of changes to that WAD is pretty huge and I'm not sure Bethesda is willing to put THAT much of an effort to make their 5 dollars port run stuff that requires heavy engine-works. If you ask me we're likely going to get WADs with not so outlandish gameplay, but one can hope.

Oct 25, 2017
The DPad appears to only select specific weapons. I just want to be able to cycle forward and backward through the entire weapon order without any delay. This is how it's worked in every console port of Doom until now.
This is better because instead of waiting for every weapon to be pulled out and put away as you scroll through, it goes straight to whatever weapon you actually wanted.
Don't wait for the weapon to be pulled out to press R again, just tap R until the weapon you want is selected, then that one will be pulled out. That's what the icons are there for.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd still like to see extra options helpful for speedrunning like a one-button level restart and a no enemies option for that category. Also did anyone try KB+M support yet?