• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Are they planning to add the master levels for Doom 2? They're not great but it'd be cool to have all the official maps available.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, did music get fixed as well? That's the only thing from the DF video I dont see mentioned

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Kudos Bethesda! I have four Doom games on switch already, and two more coming. Pretty crazy if you ask me?

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
IIRC, 320 x 200/Mode Y was intended to have non-square pixels that were 20% taller than wide, which you can't accurately replicate on an LCD with a vertical resolution lower than 1000 without either squishing the image or having some interpolation artifacts. It may have just been better to render from a different base resolution entirely like PC source ports do.

I'm all for authenticity, but pixel peeping "analysis" on a game that used to run at 320x200 is probably excessive IMO

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The PSX version was based on the Jaguar version of the games. The levels are modified and cut down to fit older console memory space, so transferring the PSX to PC won't be cut and dry, they would have to re-do it from scratch.
a PSX mod for Doom has existed for a long time, it's a fun way to experience it, more like a horror game.

MrFortyFive

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ooooo No Rest for the Living. Gonna jump on that since I never got a chance to snag the 360 release before they delisted it.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
PJ6WMgJ.gif

I hope you all are ready to face the Chaingunners in Plutonia.
doom-revenant-gif-7.gif

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Chainsaw sound effect is bugged.

I do have an increasing list of nitpicks with this, but I am nearing the end of Sigil and it's still been a great way to play it, and this a solid port. Hopefully we'll see another patch to clear out these minor issues. One frustration is that it seems that you only get 5 save slots and 1 quick save slot for all the games in that release, which while manageable, seems a bit restrictive.

Honestly my one big this is that they add the BFG to the second d-pad button press after the plasma gun, or even map it to square (or its equivalent).
Ooooo No Rest for the Living. Gonna jump on that since I never got a chance to snag the 360 release before they delisted it.
Not to oversell it, but I do love No Rest for the Living. Hope you enjoy it!

Last edited:

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
So they put this rerelease on PC too.

I was about to ask why they would do that when most people playing Doom on PC just use one of the many existing source ports, but maybe this'll be an easier method for people new to Doom who aren't familiar with installing source ports and all that, so they can just buy the game and start playing without defaulting to DOSBOX. You can call it sort of an "official PC source port" if you will. Though, I imagine it'll never reach the level of customization you get in something like GZDoom.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I would totally consider buying the games on Switch if I could use Brutal DOOM as well as turn on up and down aiming. (Is this an option?) I can't stand having mouse look locked to the horizontal axis. It's off-putting. I need to be able to aim anywhere.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I would totally consider buying the games on Switch if I could use Brutal DOOM as well as turn on up and down aiming. (Is this an option?) I can't stand having mouse look locked to the horizontal axis. It's off-putting. I need to be able to aim anywhere.
That mod is for what might as well be a completely different engine. It will never happen, that's too unrealistic of a proposition.

pray_bentos

Nov 13, 2017
Holy shit the music in Sigil slaps. I accidentally bought Doom 2 as I thought the add-ons were the same for both but no big deal as they're both pretty cheap.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for authenticity, but pixel peeping "analysis" on a game that used to run at 320x200 is probably excessive IMO
I think you misunderstand the issue.
CRTs could take a 320x200 image (16:10) and display it in a 4:3 aspect ratio without performing image scaling.
Modern displays use a fixed grid of pixels. It doesn't matter if the game was originally 320x200, to display a 320x200 image in the correct 4:3 aspect ratio without distortion (blurring or flickering) it needs to be scaled to at least 1600x1200.

It's not about rendering the game at a higher resolution, that's just how image scaling/aspect ratio correction works.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I downloaded the update and tried it out and it's really nice! I really appreciate Bethesda putting in the extra effort.

Oh and if you're listening.... gyro controls for aiming would be most appreciated!

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I'll give Brutal DOOM a pass. But I need to be able to aim up and down.
That may also not happen (though who knows, frankly the add-ons system itself is surprising in itself, though fundamental gameplay changes is a rather different category). Manual vertical aiming would allow for easy progression breaking in many vanilla maps. As a minor example, MAP30 of Doom2 can be broken over its knee with this ability, while more egregious examples is any shootable switches that require the player to be at a specific elevation elsewhere in the map (Memento Mori II MAP03 comes to mind). Also you'd be stuck with Y shearing given it's the original software render, which is generally undesirable for most people.

Not to mention it's not exactly something you just casually implement. You'd have to update the internal player command system while keeping it backwards compatible for a start, while trying to rewrite a good chunk of the aiming system to allow for adaptational pitch and the math necessary to make it not odd, as well as the rendering functionality to do it. Existing source ports have had years to perfect this, and Bethesda can't use any of that code due to GPL restrictions.

Last edited:

Coldman

Oct 25, 2017
This feels like playing a brand new port. Love the new weapon select changes and, of course, 60fps.

SIGIL is kind of ridiculous.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
been eagerly anticipating this patch since it was announced last month... but I am now disappointed that I still can't remove the artwork around the edges of the screen and have that space just be black instead

my dream for the perfect console port of Doom lives on...

edit: the borders artwork are less annoying than ones from other ported 4:3 games I played. kinda used to it already.

thanks, whoever at Bethesda got all of this done

Last edited:

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
Important question to anyone who has played the updated ports!!!!

Can you switch to the fist after getting the chainsaw now?

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I have Doom 3 on Xbox One, but I'm not sure if I'll get Doom 1&2 on the X or Switch. I'm super conflicted.

Pelao

Banned
Jan 7, 2020
Chile
I have Doom 3 on Xbox One, but I'm not sure if I'll get Doom 1&2 on the X or Switch. I'm super conflicted.

I get you, I only bought them for my xbox because of OCD reasons, already had the icons of 64, 3, 2016 and Eternal on the home screen so I had to complete the collection (the 360 ports didn't cut it because of the 360 label on the icon), but I'll probably gonna end up buying them for Switch too because I feel like I would take more advantage of these ports there.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
a PSX mod for Doom has existed for a long time, it's a fun way to experience it, more like a horror game.
pretty much if you can think of it i am sure people can make it work in Doom i mean their is a mod to let you play as demons like in the new DOOM their is a mod that adds customs sprite and weapons based on it so many gameplay mods are cool doom is legit endless

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
I think you misunderstand the issue.
CRTs could take a 320x200 image (16:10) and display it in a 4:3 aspect ratio without performing image scaling.
Modern displays use a fixed grid of pixels. It doesn't matter if the game was originally 320x200, to display a 320x200 image in the correct 4:3 aspect ratio without distortion (blurring or flickering) it needs to be scaled to at least 1600x1200.

It's not about rendering the game at a higher resolution, that's just how image scaling/aspect ratio correction works.

Thank you for the technical explanation, much appreciated. I still think that these ports are now excellent, unlike when they were first released.

Sure if someone wants the "real original" experience then play on the PC preferably on a CRT, like many retro gamers enthusiasts do for other old games. My point was that nitpicking this port to that degree, pointing out that it's not 100% like it was on a 486 66/33 (I actually played it on that in '94) it's kind of pointless. That's just me.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Tried the XBO version and the frame pacing is fucked. Like it's running at 70fps at 60hz. You can tell easily if you slowly pan the camera, judder every 200ms or so. Lame. Will try the Switch version later.

CloudCircus

Dec 9, 2017
Should I get Doom 1 or 2 for the switch? Which one has Sigil? I dabbled in both a long time ago, but I played Wolfenstein 3D about a 1,000 times.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
Thank you for the technical explanation, much appreciated. I still think that these ports are now excellent, unlike when they were first released.

Sure if someone wants the "real original" experience then play on the PC preferably on a CRT, like many retro gamers enthusiasts do for other old games. My point was that nitpicking this port to that degree, pointing out that it's not 100% like it was on a 486 66/33 (I actually played it on that in '94) it's kind of pointless. That's just me.

I'd agree with you about any other game but it's Doom, it's special, it deserves perfect ports. Especially since source ports have been doing those things for a few years (chocolate Doom has almost perfect interpolation).

Kudos to the devs for this patch though, they delivered on many fronts.