• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rockodile

Dec 7, 2018
Oh man, I know what I'm doing after work tonight. These ports really started off shaky, but props to the devs and anyone else involved for going above and beyond with these updates.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The switch version had some frame drops (especially at high fovs), but otherwise yeah, it's a damn good port.
There was one part where I had some framedrops on the PS4 Pro, but it was so minor. I do wish that we had the option to toggle the BFG game rebalancing, but that would be the only addition I'd request. That would pretty much be my perfect version of Doom 3.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Bought both! Gotta show my support when a publisher fixes things up in a big way like this.

Rockodile

Dec 7, 2018
There was one part where I had some framedrops on the PS4 Pro, but it was so minor. I do wish that we had the option to toggle the BFG game rebalancing, but that would be the only addition I'd request. That would pretty much be my perfect version of Doom 3.
Yeah agreed, I personally prefer Vanilla over BFG.

Azel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 12, 2018
great update, playing couch co-op through doom 1 last year was such a blast, will be fun to revisit

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah agreed, I personally prefer Vanilla over BFG.
I like the lighting mechanics and changes, but I prefer the ammo and health pick-up/stations from the original, so if this ever does happen on an inevitable future release, I hope we get options. Probably quite unlikely though.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
My last wish for this to be the most amazing of releases is to have the option to use the PSX soundtrack for the games!

Great patch!

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, just bought 1, 2, and 3 for my XB1X. Ready for my series playthru before Eternal drops and looks like I can retire my BFG Edition :)

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my gosh, go one step further and give us the PSX lighting too. Now that would be rad.
YES! Totally agreed.

At minimum, the soundtrack would be an easier add I would imagine so its the first thing that came to mind. I /adore/ the PSX soundtrack by Aubrey Hodges. Similar soundtrack in Doom 64 (again by Hodges) is one of the reasons I love that game, too. Tremendous atmosphere.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Oh my gosh, go one step further and give us the PSX lighting too. Now that would be rad.

The PSX version was based on the Jaguar version of the games. The levels are modified and cut down to fit older console memory space, so transferring the PSX to PC won't be cut and dry, they would have to re-do it from scratch.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
The big thing I really wanted was just having the d-pad weapon selection from the 360 Doom 2 and PS3 Doom Classic Complete ports, as this was big downgrade in playability compared to them, and this lists a "Quick Weapon Select feature", so hopefully it's that, or something comparable.

The rest are some really fantastic additions though.

THIS!

is it included?

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
THIS!

is it included?
Yes, but you can't select the BFG or Chainsaw using the d-pad. There are other improvements to the controls as well.
The PSX version was based on the Jaguar version of the games. The levels are modified and cut down to fit older console memory space, so transferring the PSX to PC won't be cut and dry, they would have to re-do it from scratch.
Oh, I know, but the lighting for the PSX version really was quite nice and a nice change of atmosphere with the music. I'm not actually expecting it to be an addition.
YES! Totally agreed.

At minimum, the soundtrack would be an easier add I would imagine so its the first thing that came to mind. I /adore/ the PSX soundtrack by Aubrey Hodges. Similar soundtrack in Doom 64 (again by Hodges) is one of the reasons I love that game, too. Tremendous atmosphere.
This is silly, but just to make it the ultimate version of Doom 1, they could also add the two exclusive maps from the Xbox release. They aren't good, but it would be something.

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
As I already own DOOM1 and 2 on Steam there really isn't an advantage to buying these versions, right?

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Now I'll definitely buy them. While they're not perfect, the ports have had quite a few improvements.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
As I already own DOOM1 and 2 on Steam there really isn't an advantage to buying these versions, right?
I don't know, last time I took my PC on the bus people started giving me the ol' stinkeye.

Also it's unspoken gamer etiquette that you buy DooM for EVERY gaming system/tech device/cooking utensil that you own. Otherwise John Romero's severed head haunts you in bed.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Ahhhhh Doom 60fps on a handheld is so good <3 There's the ocasional stutter but by and large it seems to be buttery smooth. I gave splitscreen a quick go too and 2 player seems solid, at least on early Doom 1 maps, while four player seemed a bit more variable and somewhere between the original 35 and 60.

Did notice the res drop which is a shame, it's more than worth the trade off for me but that perhaps 35fps+higher res should be an option. Still I'm ecstatic with this, has to be one of the most wildly improved patches I've seen on a game release. Loving so many of the QoL and content additions :D Plus I think they've improved right stick aiming, it's still not completely optimal with joycon but the seemingly reduced deadzone makes it far more palatable.

I wonder how difficult it was to rework Doom for 60fps too, wonder if it was similarly challenging as it was for fan source ports like zDoom. As I understand it much if not all the game logic was tied to frame rate

Last edited:

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
They've said in their Add-on FAQ that they've already started contacting community members to have their work added to the add-on menu. I wonder what they'll bring over. Lots of megawads stomp all over the original games.

I'm also kind of surprised they're even selling this on PC. Pretty redundant, but I guess it's nice that somebody has finally bundled Doom with a competent sourceport on PC, even though I can't imagine a good reason to use their sourceport over the ones the community have made.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tried them now and this is amazing. Quick saves, proper framerate, new visual options, DOOM gets SIGIL, 2 gets the X360 exclusive campaign, both get Evilution and Plutonium, both have level select and modern weapon select... wow, this is good, really good. All we need is online multiplayer and maybe the chance to add custom WADs and then we're truly set. What were welcome but disappointing ports are now very, very good, and cheap as hell. At 5 bucks each you have no excuses to not own these games now.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
Tried them now and this is amazing. Quick saves, proper framerate, new visual options, DOOM gets SIGIL, 2 gets the X360 exclusive campaign, both get Evilution and Plutonium, both have level select and modern weapon select... wow, this is good, really good. All we need is online multiplayer and maybe the chance to add custom WADs and then we're truly set. What were welcome but disappointing ports are now very, very good, and cheap as hell. At 5 bucks each you have no excuses to not own these games now.

Platform holders will never allow the direct use of custom WADs by the user. The potential for security exploitation would be to big.

Oct 27, 2017
It pretty much has everything I wanted, and a bit more.

Better map controls.
Weapon quick switch on the d-pad
Correct aspect ratio

That's all I wanted.

Getting the extra content is so nice!

And I like the medpacks now. A Green cross is a decent compromise.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
How many add ons did we get please tell me we got something cool Like Sunlust,Edge of time ,Valient or Going Down

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I was getting some really odd stuttering while playing Sigil, but rebooting the game seems to have cleared that right up.

The spacial audio also seems quite a bit different from any other version of Doom I've played. The audio as a whole seems to be fairly high quality at least, but I'm rather tired at the moment and may not be at my best to judge it properly. Will do a proper compare later.
How many add ons did we get please tell me we got something cool Like Sunlust,Edge of time ,Valient or Going Down
Just TNT, Plutonia (aka Final Doom), and Sigil for Doom 1 and 2, and No Rest for the Living for just Doom 2. At least so far. Really though, that's pretty great.

Last edited:

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
649b3af3-4c8e-424b-b18ks2.jpeg

Scaler is still very subpar sadly... (1080p picture)

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I was getting some really odd stuttering while playing Sigil, but rebooting the game seems to have cleared that right up.

The spacial audio also seems quite a bit different from any other version of Doom I've played. The audio as a whole seems to be fairly high quality too, but I'm rather tired at the moment and may not be at the best to judge it properly. Will do a proper compare later.

Just TNT, Plutonia (aka Final Doom), and Sigil for Doom 1 and 2, and No Rest for the Living for just Doom 2. At least so far. Really though, that's pretty great.
Better than nothing hoping we get a good list since their are thousands realistically asking for a couple hundred is not out of the realm of possibility obviously we are not getting jokewads or terrywads

Deleted member 5457

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic news :).

Can you please recommend a good sensitivity value, I don't know where to start. Default is too quick for me, I wonder if I should continue like that for this type of game...

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
PJ6WMgJ.gif

I hope you all are ready to face the Chaingunners in Plutonia.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
And the new update introduces a new bug that opens the main menu randomly while you play, and with no way of getting rid of it other than to restart the game. Quality control? What's that?

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
That's fine. The original resolution was 320x200, stretched to a 4:3 aspect ratio. 640x400 is a perfect double so it should look good as long as they respect the 4:3 aspect ratio.
IIRC, 320 x 200/Mode Y was intended to have non-square pixels that were 20% taller than wide, which you can't accurately replicate on an LCD with a vertical resolution lower than 1000 without either squishing the image or having some interpolation artifacts. It may have just been better to render from a different base resolution entirely like PC source ports do.