• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Well fucking dip, that was way sooner than I was expecting.

My new Wii U hard drive comes in tonight so I was planning on playing that, but it looks like plans may have changed.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The big thing I really wanted was just having the d-pad weapon selection from the 360 Doom 2 and PS3 Doom Classic Complete ports, as this was big downgrade in playability compared to them, and this lists a "Quick Weapon Select feature", so hopefully it's that, or something comparable.

The rest are some really fantastic additions though.

Pelao

Banned
Jan 7, 2020
Chile
Fantastic news!
I'll pick them up for my Xbone to finally retire the 360 ports.
Might double dip on Switch.

Last edited:

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, DOOM and DOOM II as in the original 1990s games? Why are they getting these updates? Not that I'm complaining, but seems odd to be spending the money to add new features to such a cheap downloadable title.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Buying DOOM on Switch now! If they keep releasing more add-ons, holy moly dat value.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Wait, DOOM and DOOM II as in the original 1990s games? Why are they getting these updates? Not that I'm complaining, but seems odd to be spending the money to add new features to such a cheap downloadable title.
because it's so easy to add these things its dirt cheap for a few people to just throw the features in

they've been programmers playgrounds for decades now

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
The big thing I really wanted was just having the d-pad weapon selection from the 360 Doom 2 and PS3 Doom Classic Complete ports, as this was big downgrade in playability compared to them, and this lists a "Quick Weapon Select feature", so hopefully it's that, or something comparable.

Added Quick Weapon Select: The Directional Pad can now be used to quickly swap between weapons.
  • Up: Shotgun and Super Shotgun
  • Right: Chaingun
  • Down: Rocket Launcher
  • Left: Plasma Gun

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Glad I stopped my first play through on switch!
Will finish it later today

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
These are great features but do you ever get the feeling they deliberately released these games in the state they were in to keep them in the news cycles? The old mobile game "free updates are actually cheap marketing" trick. I mean I guess it's all good for us in the end either way.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Added Quick Weapon Select: The Directional Pad can now be used to quickly swap between weapons.
  • Up: Shotgun and Super Shotgun
  • Right: Chaingun
  • Down: Rocket Launcher
  • Left: Plasma Gun
Yeah, just tested it. Don't know why you can't select the BFG and Chainsaw like you used to be able to. That is a problem, and does seem like a strange omission. Still, an improvement.

Also noticed the health pickups have green crosses instead of the pill icons (which previously replaced the red crosses), but perhaps that's how it was before in this port.

Red Rudolph

Aug 7, 2019
Doom and Doom II on Switch were some of my most enjoyable playthroughs of 2019. Something about 3D rumble really sealed the deal for me. Looks like I'm heading back in.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Oh man, there goes my plans for the evening. Every other game I'm playing just got moved to the back burner.

Has anyone checked out the add-ons yet? Really curious to see what they make available.

Edit: add-ons are listed in the detailed patch notes.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man psyched to play Sigil.
Did they ever happen to fix the not being able to switch back to the fists after picking up the berserk pack?

Deleted member 4260

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just messed around with Doom 2. Definitely a big improvement. What's up with the stimpacks, though? They have a green cross on them now.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
The games are almost perfect now. 60fps, correct aspect ratio in every mode, more content, quick saves and weapon select, independent knuckles and chainsaw. They also added a PSX-style buffer when you swap weapons with L&R so that you can switch from shotgun to RL directly for instance. And random sound effects pitches from the original release are back.

1 major thing is missing: you can't remap controls. That's a bummer for disabled gamers.

1 minor thing is missing: you can't play in the original resolution.

Oh and it still suffers a small freeze when I pop my first barrel after each launch.

But yeah, it's a solid port overall now.

Deleted member 28523

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

yeah Sponge (Id developer) has been posting updates on Doomworld for a bit. The green crosses are updated because Red Cross are an international symbol and are protected or whatever. Not suppose to use it.

really hope we get some news of what Community Wads are coming since I've seen some hinting that they're the really good ones.

Oct 26, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
That seems easy. What Add-ons are available?

At launch we have some exciting ones for you. On both DOOM and DOOM II you'll find TNT: Evilution and The Plutonia Experiment, the two map packs that constituted the retail Final DOOM release. Together those alone represent over 60 levels of gameplay! On DOOM, you'll see SIGIL, an original campaign created by legendary designer John Romero. And with DOOM II you'll also find No Rest for the Living, a map pack created by our friends at Nerve Software for the original XBLA release.

This is awesome! Gonna play tonight for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
This is awesome, it's crazy that they also included Sigil as well.

Romero did go a little crazy with his levels, I will say, but I loved Sigil.

Zig6

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago IL
This is fantastic, especially the weapon wheel and the quick weapon switching. I been playing Doom on the switch over the last few weeks and I'm excited to get this patch as I'm nearing the end of Episode 3 of Doom1!

Last edited:

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Oh hell yeah, I bought Doom 1 on PS4 last month because of this update, but I thought it would take longer for the patch to arrive!

Thanks Bethesda! :D

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm halfway the second chapter of Doom 1. Of course that was some months ago, but this new want me play it and finish. I will update this ASAP

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad No Rest for the Living is in Doom 2. It's secretly the best Doom expansion.

If you've never played it, play it. It's Doom 2's Knee Deep in the Dead.
This is awesome, it's crazy that they also included Sigil as well.

Romero did go a little crazy with his levels, I will say, but I loved Sigil.
I quite like Sigil, but I did understand why it didn't make the biggest splash. I like it way more than Thy Flesh Consumed.

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
QH1jHx2.gif

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
Have to admit, id/Bethesda is doing a fine work with these updates, the ports are in way better shape now