• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After gaming on my 1080p PC I decided to jump into 4k and got a 65 Samsung Q70 (it was on sale). Honestly when you put the right 4k content on it from Netflix and Amazon Prime and Apple TV(and even Youtube) it looks great! But my PS4 looks splotchy and awful on the screen (especially the main menu). I know it's upscaling 1080p content to 4K but it shouldn't look this bad. What am I missing?

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
It looks fine on my 55 inch 4K even with a PS4 base, even Switch games look good upscaled from 720.

Do you have game mode on? Enabled Deep colored mode for HDMI?

OP
OP
Arta

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did you turn off Motion Plus?
That's the first thing I did, I hate that look lol.

Edit: wait a minute, I set that for movies, but now looking into the Game Mode settings, there's a sub menu with Game Motion Plus enabled. Blur Reduction and Judder are at 10.

There's also something called Game Enhancer that "optimizes performance" and "Dynamic Black Equalizer" on 2.

Last edited:

GreenEarth

alt account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Make sure overscan (is called different things depending on TV brand) is disabled on your TV and then on the PS4 go to settings -> sound and screen -> display area and make the arrows go the biggest area they can. If you can make them go outside your screen corners then you still have some overscan setting that needs to be disabled.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Try sharpness at 10 or 20, 0 looks soft on Samsung TV's. Also the RGB black levels are called Low/Normal, limited is low, and RGB full is Normal.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
1080p is usually scaled on 4K TVs with some kind of filtering which looks really bad. I really don't understand why most TV manufacturers have taken this approach since 1080p can be displayed perfectly on 4K.

With a 4K TV you really need proper 4K output. In the PC space this is even an issue that has only been rectified with the inclusion of integer scaling on newer GPUs.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
Nm even rtings has the sony 950g at 50 sharpness for calibration. That's odd. I guess sony tvs work differently than just about every other 4k tv

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Follow the Rtings optimal settings guide for your TV

And make sure your RGB black levels match between your PS4 and TV. Set them both to "Low" or "Limited"

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To follow up my post, this stuff is subjective anyways and I find 0 sharpness on my Samsung to be too blurry. I have mine on 10/100.

AfterCoffee

Feb 18, 2019
After gaming on my 1080p PC I decided to jump into 4k and got a 65 Samsung Q70 (it was on sale). Honestly when you put the right 4k content on it from Netflix and Amazon Prime and Apple TV(and even Youtube) it looks great! But my PS4 looks splotchy and awful on the screen (especially the main menu). I know it's upscaling 1080p content to 4K but it shouldn't look this bad. What am I missing?
Do have problems with ghosting? Blue lines around edges when panning the camera? Mine has that in game mode even with motion crap turned off =/

Deleted member 28962

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Like someone did a rough watercolour of the PS4 crossbar icons. Everything looks smeared in vaseline.
This is about what my PS4 slim looked like on my TCL 55R615 before I cranked the sharpness setting down. When playing God of War the skin textures on people looked like it was colored with pastels. Baffles me the stock settings some of these TVs ship with.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
If a game happens to be HDR, then you'll need to set that up as well. Regular games and the XMB use w diffident mode

OP
OP
Arta

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got myself a PS4 Pro and it's a big improvement in most games. Soul Calibur 6 actually looks decent and Nier Automata is actually playable instead of humanoid hatchmarks running around. Horizon looks great and the image quality of Days Gone is amazing.

It's not all roses though. FF7R still has fuzzy hair around Cloud, and Uncharted still looks like a splotchy disaster. :( Gonna continue to fiddle with the settings.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Got myself a PS4 Pro and it's a big improvement in most games. Soul Calibur 6 actually looks decent and Nier Automata is actually playable instead of humanoid hatchmarks running around. Horizon looks great and the image quality of Days Gone is amazing.

It's not all roses though. FF7R still has fuzzy hair around Cloud, and Uncharted still looks like a splotchy disaster. :( Gonna continue to fiddle with the settings.
It's been a long time, but I remember Uncharted 4 being pretty disappointing in terms of image clarity on Pro (even though obviously other details of the image are phenomenal).

I've noticed that whenever you have anything that resembles thin 'blades' or details like grass or Cloud's hair when checkerboard rendering is involved (Dragon Quest XI also suffered greatly on Pro when it comes to the grass, and I loved that game), you're likely going to get artifacting, artificial smoothing, etc., depending on your display. I think RDR2 had a lot of that too on Pro.

And if your TV has issues resolving those details or it's trying to clean up the image via its own processing, that can make the image even worse. Others here will have more technical responses (and have already chimed in), but you should try some native 4K 60fps games like Rez Infinite or Tetris Effect! The latter is particularly beautiful and really shows off retina-searing HDR on even middling displays. :)

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I would definitely check your color settings. I bought a new Sony TV last year and it had a setting called "Live Color" which I had to turn off, as it makes some colors look oversaturated.