• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Long and short of it is, if it is defragger then that's great, if not then a system wipe and restoration would be the most ideal solution. Also, I have read the OS can chug if your HDD is close to full.
this def happens with a lot of OS'es I know windows chugs when you hit a certain space limit.

Windy_Smile

Oct 27, 2017
Rebuild Database does help with the UI chugging but only to a degree. I swear every time I try that, Bungie money hats my PS4 as it specifically downloads every update for Destiny 1 and 2, and I haven't touched those games in years.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Devs have been doing some black magic these past couple of years.
Rebuild Database does help with the UI chugging but only to a degree. I swear every time I try that, Bungie money hats my PS4 as it specifically downloads every update for Destiny 1 and 2, and I haven't touched those games in years.
I badly need to do this. My system UI has come to a crawl, it's ridiculous.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After playing Doom Eternal and Modern Warfare 2019 on a base PS4, i know i had to made this thread. PS4 is still the real deal you guys.

Consoles tend to show their ages in their last years. The limitations of the technology insde the 5 year old machines become more and more apparent. We all know that. However, i think PS4 is a different beast. Especially the base model is super impressive since it KEEPS surprising me. On my HDR TV, games never stop looking fantastic. We all criticised the poor CPU when the PS4 was first introduced but at the end, i must say Sony DID built a future-proof console.

Yeah, yeah, Ray tracing, 120 FPS and 4K resolution all sound good and they're most welcome in the next gen, i must admit, more time i spend with my PS4 more time i question the necessity of a new generation.

Games still look VERY good in the system and most importantly, they PERFORM WELL. This is the most important point for. Aside from "Control" i cannot recall a single big AAA release that struggle to run on the machine. There are some problematic releases sure, but they are due to faulty optimization like Days Gone.
Almost all games run at 1080p/ 30 FPS.
I remember the last year of the PS3/X360. 3rd party games were, something... If you played GTA V on a PS3 you know what i mean with that draw distance.

Technology must advance and consoles have to catch up with PC's. I am never against that. But witnessing the visuals of games like FF7 Remake or Doom Eternal are comforting to me, in case we cannot get our hands on the next-gen consoles soon.
Yep. Games still look great on the PS4. God of War, Uncharted 4 and The Lost Legacy, Horizon Zero Dawn, FF7 Remake, etc. Great console. Now imagine what the PS5 will do ^_^

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The games are designed to run on PS4 at 1080p/30fps or whatever, they don't just make a game & hope it runs. you will see how PS4 is holding back visuals once PS5 comes out.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that developers got stuff to run on such terrible CPUs is astounding to me. Like, seriously. In fact I think the PS4's CPU is actually weaker than the Xbox Ones, although clearly not to the same degree it's GPU is stronger.

So developers had to deal with the XB1's bad GPU and the PS4's even worse CPU as a baseline, and we still got some incredible looking games.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
The base PS4 might just be my all time favourite console when the dust settles. I'm playing DOOM: Eternal right now, and it's unbelievable how good it looks and how well it runs. FF7R is another insane achievement on this old hardware.

Oct 27, 2017
Only complaints performance-wise on a base PS4 are with Just Cause 3, Final Fantasy XV, RDR2 (when in towns), Control, AC Odyssey (occasional times with pauses in the action while assets load), and Days Gone (full speed on bike). That is a relatively small list this close to the end of a generation.

My PS4 is loud though.

Oct 27, 2017
Hardcore gamers who care about the absolute perfect combination of high resolution and higher framerate are not the majority when it comes to console gaming. Switch is doing just fine despite its limitations and that's not a console that will be replaced in 2020.

You don't buy a Nintendo system for the performance output.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
While we are at this thread, i wanna ask something regarding ps5 power quality. So currently im using 1080p 60hz tv on my ps4 (my previous tv broke for some reason and i had to use the available one which i mentioned just now). So will it look the same as my ps4 or will i be able to see differences even though it is on 1080p 60hz?

Im currently not in the mood to replace my tv because i want to use the money to go abroad in singapore in july

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
It's doing okay, but when games like Destiny 2, Dark Souls 3, Sekiro etc can comfortably run at 60fps on pretty modest PC hardware it's clearly showing its age. Probably helps that it's the most popular hardware so most devs make sure it receives enough attention.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
While we are at this thread, i wanna ask something regarding ps5 power quality. So currently im using 1080p 60hz tv on my ps4 (my previous tv broke for some reason and i had to use the available one which i mentioned just now). So will it look the same as my ps4 or will i be able to see differences even though it is on 1080p 60hz?

Im currently not in the mood to replace my tv because i want to use the money to go abroad in singapore in july
You will obviously see the graphical differences and the PS5 will probably downsample games from 4k, meaning you get a nice sharp and clean image on your TV. But I doubt you will be impressed like someone with a 4k HDR display.

Don't worry too much, I am also still playing on a 1080p plasma and the games will look gorgeous.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Things look a little rough on my 65" 4k HDR10 set in my living room.

4K looks great from the viewing distance from where my couch is from the TV, but my OG Xbox One and my PS4 slim don't hold up.

Only use the Xbox One X and my gaming PC now on the 65" 4k.

My PS4 slim games to do still look good on the 1080p 40-inch in my upstairs bedroom. I moved my PS4 slim to it when I upgraded my TV. Moved the OG Xbox One to my girls' room years ago.

I do agree some games still look pretty good for that OG PS4 hardware on a TV that matches the hardware.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
and that beast sure knows how to growl
lmfao. This made me laugh out loud.

kemgj1whjvg31.jpg

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The hardware is definitely not "a beast" but developers have done well to get so much out of it.
It has also meant that almost everything has been stuck at only 30 FPS though.

I doubt you'll see 120 fps on next gen consoles due to TV standards
The big new feature for HDMI 2.1 is 120Hz support.

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Im also not savvy in Linux and what the Rebuild Database really does, but sites like these clealy say its a defrag tool.

https://www.ps4storage.com/rebuilding-ps4-database/
They are incorrect. Source: Been running and doing administrative work with *nix desktops and servers for over a decade. There is rarely any need to defragment. I can't remember ever doing it and seeing substantial returns.

However, the post quoted earlier is also incorrect. The PS4 OS is based on FreeBSD, not Linux. It's the same system MacOS is based on. The filesystem is a fork of UFS. It also very rarely needs to be defragmented. I'm not even sure any tools exist to do so. NTFS(Windows) needs defragmentation because of (poor) design choices.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My base PS4 I got in 2014 is still going strong, although it shouts at me quite alot when playing certain games. Just hold on for a another few months old friend.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Best part is the graphics don't feel old, unlike how it was during year 7 of PS360.

Short of a miracle considering this gen was already considered outdated by some PC fanboys in 2013. The console also held up its 1080p30 target throughout its life, unlike PS360 when the p's and fps nearly dropped in half by the end. Mark Cerny did a good job making a well balanced console with the PS4.

That PS5 should do some crazy stuff considering it's a bigger leap this time, however specs don't excite me as much as the haptic feedback of DualSense, 3D Audio and their upcoming VR headset.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
As was the case late last gen with PS3 and 360 (Uncharted 3 and TLOU and Halo 4 and Gears 3 still look amazing), the stuff devs have been able to pull off is incredible. On PS4, TLOU 2, Ghost of Tsushima and FFVII Remake look borderline photoreal. On XB1, Forza Horizon 4 is jawdropping and Gears 5 gorgeous. Then you have third parties dropping games like Modern Warfare, RDR2 and the RE remakes that look stunning.

It all worked out in the end, and like you said, HDR helps.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Doesn't GTA V have FPS drops below 30fps? Witcher 3 also has significant drops. Most recently FF7R has texture loading issues.

Additionally CPUs have really held things back. I'm struggling to think of a single AAA game with great AI this generation. Physics and destruction is also left by the wayside in most games, but part of that is developer choice.

The console also has issues with cooling and loadtimes are godawful.

The games look fantastic despite the hardware and I'm frequently one to point out that most third party games won't *need* next generation hardware to offer the experience that they do, but I am definitely ready to see what we can do with new hardware.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
4k 120hz. Indeed.
But HDMI 2.0 already has support for 120hz for 1440p and lower.
My understanding was that HDMI 2.0 has the bandwidth for it, but 1080p120/1440p120 were not part of the official spec.
HDMI 2.1 makes 4K120 an officially supported resolution, and most displays seem to be supporting it so far.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I recommend anyone annoyed with the sound of their PS4, out of warranty, that is in any way comfortable with opening up electronics to reapply thermal paste. It made a huge difference turning my Pro from a jet engine louder at times than my original launch PS3, to not noticing it very much sitting in my cabinet next to my TV.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
My understanding was that HDMI 2.0 has the bandwidth for it, but 1080p120/1440p120 were not part of the official spec.
HDMI 2.1 makes 4K120 an officially supported resolution, and most displays seem to be supporting it so far.
Xbox One X supports 1080p/1440p at 120hz so I'd assumed they must be part of the HDMI 2.0(b) spec?

Not sure but very excited that both consoles will be HDMI 2.1 next gen.

LukasHeinzel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 week): Platform wars. History of similar behavior.
I am glad that I can watch all the exclusives on YouTube, never really liked the ui/controller and how loud the console got. But a lot of people certainly prefer the Playstation, I just don't.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Yeah seriously. By this time on PS3 last gen, I remember everything looking like its covered in Vaseline. Bioshock Infinite and Far Cry 3 looked horrible and ran like absolute shit.

But on base Ps4 now, Death Stranding, Control and FF7R is still blowing me away by how gorgeous they look!

I have a base Xbox One and am really disappointed by how Forza Horizon 4, Halo 5 and Gears 5 look. Textures just look so muddy.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I am glad that I can watch all the exclusives on YouTube

You're only robbing yourself of some extremely good gaming experiences by doing that, but meh. Each to their own.

Yeah seriously. By this time on PS3 last gen, I remember everything looking like its covered in Vaseline. Bioshock Infinite and Far Cry 3 looked horrible and ran like absolute shit.

But on base Ps4 now, Death Stranding, Control and FF7R is still blowing me away by how gorgeous they look!

Yeah agreed. About this time last gen games were starting to look really terrible. Like the devs were simply past what the hardware could deliver. This time around I'm still playing games and finding them really good looking. Breath taking at times, especially the likes of Horizon Zero Dawn.

OP
OP
vaderise

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey

I have a base Xbox One and am really disappointed by how Forza Horizon 4, Halo 5 and Gears 5 look. Textures just look so muddy.
Man, Far Cry 3 on the PS3 was something. The problem is nearly all the PC's offered miles better image qualitycompared to PS3/X360, whereas PS4 still has comparable graphics to PC settings, aside from performance and super high resolutions.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
When you have a huge budget, dev talent, time, and a closed box -- you get stellar results.

I have no idea how Red Dead 2 runs on my PS4, but it does. Everytime I play Warzone or GTSport, I still get impressed at the visuals.

I'm in no rush to buy the PS5 just yet.