• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have a 65 inch Samsung Q70. Some games like Hollow Knight look good, others like Uncharted, and the demos for Resident Evil 3 and FF7R look smeared with grease, especially hair which looks liek you're viewing it through a fuzzy filter. However youtube videos through the app (that aren't even 4k) look really crisp and colorful.

Picture mode: Natural
Backlight: 24/ 50
Sharpness: 3
Color: 38

Digital Clean View, Contrast Enhancer and Auto Motion Plus are off.
Picture settings applied to all sources.

Awcko

Oct 25, 2017
They aren't running at real 4k, it sounds like you're noticing reconstruction artifacts.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
PS4 pro 4k games look horrible on mines too, provided i dont go close to the tv. just keep your distance.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Uncharted 4 runs at fixed 1440p. This is raound 76% more pixels from 1080p, while 4K is 4x much. So you can't really get pristine 4K on most Pro titles.
YT has compression though, it's far from 4K BluRays as well.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I think it has less to do with the TV and more to do with your game

Felt the same with FF7R

Jul 26, 2018
I don't know, but my TV looks blurry near the four edges (e.g. Where subtitles go). Google but didn't find much, tried sharpness to zero, gaming mode and nothing worked. Why are TVs so hard to calibrate :(

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Have a 65 inch Samsung Q70. Some games like Hollow Knight look good, others like Uncharted, and the demos for Resident Evil 3 and FF7R look smeared with grease, especially hair which looks liek you're viewing it through a fuzzy filter. However youtube videos through the app (that aren't even 4k) look really crisp and colorful.

First of all: GAME MODE

Then, disable all post processing and use this as a ballpark baseline:

www.rtings.com

Samsung Q7FN/Q7/Q7F QLED 2018 Calibration Settings

These are the settings we used to calibrate the Samsung 55" QN55Q7FN QLED. For the most part, we expect these settings to be valid for the 65" QN65Q7FN and 75" QN75Q7FN.

OP
OP
Arta

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man Neir Automata look TERRIBLE.
Picture mode should be gaming
This right here. Gaming mode improves latency and gets rid of all the post processing bullshit
When I switch to my PS4 it switches to Game Mode.
Is it possible your HDR settings are messed up? Do you have the same issue with SDR games?
I don't know which are which. I just assumed if it asks me to align the black and white gradient bars that it's HDR.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know which are which. I just assumed if it asks me to align the black and white gradient bars that it's HDR.

I'm pretty sure all those games you're unsatisfied with are HDR games. I only got the KS8000, so my advice isn't 100% applicable, however I'm quite sure your issue is HDR settings and not game mode. Check the optimal rtings.com settings for your TV and check whether your PS4 HDR settings are correct too.

Could you try switching between SDR and HDR in one of those games and tell me whether you prefer the SDR picture?

OP
OP
Arta

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the tv that I got, last year's Q70. Amazon had it on sales with 5 monthly payments.

OP
OP
Arta

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the tv may have poor upscaling
I'm pretty sure all those games you're unsatisfied with are HDR games. I only got the KS8000, so my advice isn't 100% applicable, however I'm quite sure your issue is HDR settings and not game mode. Check the optimal rtings.com settings for your TV and check whether your PS4 HDR settings are correct too.

Could you try switching between SDR and HDR in one of those games and tell me whether you prefer the SDR picture?
I'll check the SDR and HDR games.

My PS4 video output settings are:

Resolution: 1080p
RGB Range: Limited
HDR: Automatic
Adjust HDR:
Deep Color Input: Automatic

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Unfortunately the Q70 isn't the best Samsung TV in terms of upscaling content.

Do you have a PS4 Pro? I find my KS8000 displays every game with pristine quality.

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017

Adjust HDR:
Your on a pro or normal PS4?
I guess the TV has to upscale if it's a 1080p signal and that may result in a softer image?

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Adjust HDR:
This is what my settings look like:

Wgdtu18.jpg

Could you change your resolution to automatic as well and report back? Also, check a quick guide whether you set HDR up correctly in the TV's settings.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Adjust HDR:
buy a pro. your base ps4 is upscaling 1080p games to 4k.

you need a pro to run games at 4kcb or 1440p natively and you should be fine.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

Adjust HDR:

Just in case, to manage your expectations: no matter how well you calibrate your particular TV (which, STILL needs to be calibrated in your case), you are running a base PS4, so 1080p content will be upscaled to 4K...

Youtube looks better because is giving you 4K (even if compressed), not 1080 upscaled.

If you want that crispness in gaming, you need at least a PS4 Pro, an Xbox One X, a Gaming PC or next gen.

OP
OP
Arta

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
buy a pro. your base ps4 is upscaling 1080p games to 4k.

you need a pro to run games at 4kcb or 1440p natively and you should be fine.
Just in case, to manage your expectations: no matter how well you calibrate your particular TV (which, STILL needs to be calibrated in your case), you are running a base PS4, so 1080p content will be upscaled to 4K...

Youtube looks better because is giving you 4K (even if compressed), not 1080 upscaled.

If you want that crispness in gaming, you need at least a PS4 Pro, an Xbox One X, a Gaming PC or next gen.
Guess I'll invest in that Pro in a few months when all this blows over.

What other calibration do I need to do?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Turn the sharpness down, that plays havoc with the fuzzy hair that a characters have.

Also make sure game mode is on and the game motion plus is turned off.

You will need to do this once when you play a regular SDR game , then you will need to boot something in HDR and change the settings again

ppn7

May 4, 2019
So i have a PS4 slim too, i would like to buy a 4K, is the LG C9 better than the Q70R or the result will be the same...?

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't sharpness have to be in the middle for Samsung TVs? Otherwise, a lower sharpness is causing even more blur.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Man Neir Automata look TERRIBLE.

It's a bad looking game.

It's mostly just current consoles especially base ones being pushed to their limits on newer titles. Hold out for next gen if possible, even the PS4 Pro's output isnt that great on a good 4k set

I think checkboard 4k is fine provided you're not two feet in front of the set. Horizon with HDR is still a looker.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
It's a combination of the TV and being a base PS4, altough the TV has probably more to do with it.
Im no TV expert, but it probably doesnt have the best upscale ability.
I have an LG 4k tv, dont know the model, but it was less than 750$ and every now and then i'll play PS3 games (with 720P resolution) and they look pretty decent, for the most part.
And, needless to say, I have no problems with my PS4 games (mine is a Pro, though)

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
Well, this thread helped.. I just set all of my tv inputs that receive feed from a gaming console to "Game Mode". While doing so, I also noticed that each of my tv inputs have their own separate settings 😟. Luminescence to the max for each plz.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Changed it, didn't affect the look of the hair.
Can you check what the aspect ratio setting is while your PS4 is on? For a 1080p source the TV just needs to double the pixels in each direction, so it shouldn't be too smeary (unless you're talking about motion blur).

Often times it can be something as simple as the image being "zoomed" a bit by being set to 16:9 / zoom 1 / zoom 2 instead of "full" or "screen fit".

OP
OP
Arta

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you check what the aspect ratio setting is while your PS4 is on? For a 1080p source the TV just needs to double the pixels in each direction, so it shouldn't be too smeary (unless you're talking about motion blur).

Often times it can be something as simple as the image being "zoomed" a bit by being set to 16:9 / zoom 1 / zoom 2 instead of "full" or "screen fit".
Currently 16:9 Standard, fit to screen: on

Sep 25, 2018

ps4 pro not really a 4K device it's more the Xbox one X

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Doesn't sharpness have to be in the middle for Samsung TVs? Otherwise, a lower sharpness is causing even more blur.
Not sure about newer TVs but my 2017 Samsung actually needs to be set to 15 or 20 (out of 100) for the sharpening filter to be disabled.

For me everything looks great once I did that and turned off all postprocessing.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Changed it, didn't affect the look of the hair.
FFVII has dithering artifacts on hair due to the way they render it. This has nothing to do with the TV (worse the TV could do is Halo artifacts on the hair but you have sharpening down) and it's just the way games are rendering. Nier looks terrible because it has terrible AA and is 900p and and FFVII and UC4 are soft with TAA. If you want your games to look as good as currently possible on a 4K TV you'll need a Pro.

I'm literally buying a Pro just for FFVII, I was going to hold off for the PS5 but I really want to see FFVII on the Pro at launch.

Jazar

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
Posts and comments like these make me hesitate to get a 4k. I'm still impressed by the visuals on my 10+ year old 1080p Samsung. Ignorance is bliss.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Posts and comments like these make me hesitate to get a 4k. I'm still impressed by the visuals on my 10+ year old 1080p Samsung. Ignorance is bliss.
As long as you know how to configure your TV, it would only be an improvement (unless you're still playing on a base ps4, then you could potentially argue that native 1080p on a 1080p TV looks better).

OP, do as others have suggested and look at the settings that rtings recommends for your TV (though you can set brightness to whatever you like). Also play an HDR game and configure the HDR settings correctly.

I wish the TV industry shipped TVs using the good settings. Not even asking for a factory calibration, just shipping TVs with correct base color settings, gamma curve, color temperature, moderate brightness, and with the extra processing disabled. Really crazy to think about the settings most people likely use on their TVs.

Thanathorn

Dec 10, 2019
This thread makes me want to avoid buying a 4K TV once next gen comes around. Not the first I've heard of people saying some games look outright bad on 4k TV's

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Best settings for me are -

Game mode - Off
Back light - Max.
Contrast - Max.
Colour -70.
Brightness - 65 (sometimes higher for extremely dark games)
Sharpening 1/3.

HDR does its own thing outside of calibrating it (I just leave it as is usually).

Remember base PS4 games at best are going to be 1080p so the TV is stretching that native image over a canvas which is 3x that number of pixels. There's going to be washed out parts or jaggies.

If you can afford it then get a Pro. Most games run at 1440p (almost double 1080p) or checkerboard 4k (very close to native 4k) in games like Horizon and God of War.

Hope that helps!