• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
hUb6yfT.jpg

It's currently downloading. Finally I can exchange O and X as accept and cancel and vice versa.

Remote play on iOS devices is now supported.

It's around 460MB.

DWANGO. Wow.

tenor.gif

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
The confirm button change was possible already through the swap buttons settings so what is different? Does it allow confirm button change limited to OS-settings! If so then HALLELUJAH!
Having a Japanese PS4 that could mean I can play EU-games and use the OS with the same confirm button!

edit. CONFIRMED! HALLELUJAH!

I think the JP ps4 is the only one that has some Wifi AOSS functions and most importantly... DMM.COM support for preview of movies...

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
We need DS4 support badly. Touch screen controls suck badly.

Not gonna happen, unfortunately. Mindwipe covered the reason why in a nice post earlier in the thread. Surprised it ain't threadmarked.

A few things -

a) There is no way the Dual Shock 4 will ever be updated to pair with an iOS device, unless Apple radically reworks iOS. It isn't possible to update devices to MFi retrospectively, they have to ship with a hardware based cert on the device, and Apple block all non-MFi devices on iOS. Those of us who note iOS is a huge con to extract licensing fees compared to a proper OS aren't kidding about that bit y'know. Even then, it wouldn't work especially well without changes to iOS's Bluetooth stack.

b) Sony could enable non-Dual Shock MFi controllers in the app, but ultimately they wouldn't have a touchpad and simply wouldn't work sometimes. I don't expect them to do that for this reason.

c) Similarly, one of the reasons the Remote Play app is locked to Xperia devices is because Dual Shock 4 controllers paired to non-Xperia devices don't really work, and it's not fixable without root. Of note is that the Android Q codebase includes commits (from Sony) to fix support for pairing Dual Shock 4's to all Android Q devices, so I suspect that means that Remote Play app will probably be released for non-Xperia devices later this year, but it'll probably be limited to Android Q and above.

d) The one exception to c) is that Sony's own Android TV's can pair a Dual Shock properly today, so if Sony's reading they could release that Remote Play app now so I could remote play into the other room, *hint hint Sony*.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I've had a Hong Kong PS4 for the past four years... right after I got it I would have rejoiced at this news, but now I've pretty much gotten used to O being confirm and X being cancel.

Oct 27, 2017
Not happening.

Nobody will want to Remote Play on a shitty cheap 4" 720p screen built in to the DS5 when everyone has a fairly high-end 1080p (or greater) screen in their pocket.

Also that would make the DS5 too expensive to produce + buy, not to mention it would be enormous.

This is how remote play will work best:

Once Sony really starts pushing remote play next gen, I can see them making mounting devices such as this one, might sell them for $10. Easy sell.
I mean, I did say it was a pipe dream so I know it's not happening

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
The MFi protocol was updated not long ago to support L3 and R3, does anyone know if the Remote Play app works with controllers that have it?

I'll buy one in a heartbeat if yes.

luciddre4m

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Hey that's actually a great update! :D Small tip, it won't help with actual Remote Play but if you want to use this as Off-TV Play like the Wii U do this:

- Make a second user on your PS4
- Use the second user to connect via Remote Play
- Use your DS4 controller like you normally would directly connected to your PS4 logged in as your primary user

That way you have no input delay and the Remote Play just works as if it were another screen.

Does the second user account have to be made the primary on the PS4? When I log into the remote play app with the second user account, it seems unable to "find" the PS4 on my wifi network.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
set up yesterday, hoping to maybe play a turn based game or something, but was basically impossible over wi-fi it seemed. understandable but man...... playing persona 5 in bed would be nice

Jan 2, 2018
What's the best MFI controller? I keep seeing that Nimbus mentioned (even on Kinja Deals) but it doesn't seem all that great.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What's the best MFI controller? I keep seeing that Nimbus mentioned (even on Kinja Deals) but it doesn't seem all that great.
The Nimbus's d-pad is hot garbage, but I like everything else about it. Well the dead zone on the sticks could be a little narrower. The battery life is insane. I left it in a drawer for about a year and a half and I was still able to play for over an hour without a low battery warning.

I think the HORI Ultimate is generally regarded as having the best d-pad and overall functionally. Though my friend's suffered from analog stick failure. He regularly mods sticks and pads and even he wasn't able to open it up to attempt a repair. Looks like it's pretty cheap on Amazon right now too.

TheLoCoRaven

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
I couldn't use DS4 for the same reason, can't switch users wile remote playing. Can someone post the full workaround that was tested and works please?

I don't know. I can use the DS4 while signed into a secondary account, but I can't figure out any way to get the primary account to work with the DS4.

Oct 31, 2017
I tried the second account trick but I keep getting an error telling me that I've accessed remote play from another user and need to log in from my own account :(

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
So...we're really never gonna get DS4 support?

We gotta resort to an...alternative solution?

Best case (unlikely) Sony releases a revised DS4 that is also MFi compatible. You'd need to buy a new controller

Next best case (still possibly unlikely) - PS5 standard controller is MFi compatible

If you'll spend a lot of time using this, getting a compatible controller isn't the end of the world and 10000x better than touch screen controls

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I can barely get the iOS function to work, even on Fiber Internet. I have tried from different WiFi sources and all I have successfully done is see my XMB for like 2 seconds before it froze. :(

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
The app works fine, and the use of a button 'click' feedback is nice, but yeah, touch controls are iffy on an iPhone at least. But then I've struggled with any 'console-alike' controls on mobile games...like trying to play iOS fortnite on my phone was a nightmare for me.

One thing they could improve, though, would be to give you the option to not have the controls fade out after inactivity. They fade out too soon for some games, e.g. Tetris, so you can be left tapping twice to effect a command...once to bring the buttons back, then again to actually hit the button you want. Even better might be the option to configure what controls you actually want displayed - for some games you don't need the full gamut onscreen.

With respect to the fading out of controls, the portrait mode is better, but of course the game screen is tiny then. I guess an iPad is better here.

All in all it might tempt me to pick up a Mifi controller, if they're not too expensive.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Probably already answered in the thread, but I scanned several pages and didn't find it:

I could have sworn the "Switch X/O confirm/exit functions" was already a thing on PS4, but it was "invisible." i.e. If there was something that had a button icon, it still said X for confirm and O for exit, even if you set it to be the reverse. Does this update simply change the icons too? Or am I thinking of PS3?

I can't imagine anyone would care about this unless they're like me: got heavily into importing in the PS1 era and came to prefer O for confirm.

shadow_shogun

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
As long as I'm within the vicinity of the PS4, I can use my DS4 controller to play on the remote app. Didn't experience any lag at all when trying out the DMCV demo last night.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I could play Persona 5 at my desk at work. There were some hiccups here and there, but it generally worked really well.

This is brilliant.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna happen, unfortunately. Mindwipe covered the reason why in a nice post earlier in the thread. Surprised it ain't threadmarked.
I was able to fully use my DS4 on an Android by using a USB OTG cable, couldn't that at least be possible on iOS? I guess for iOS you would need an OTG cable that went from Micro USB to USB-C

Oct 31, 2017
No no you got me wrong, only the new Remote Play account has to be set as Primary, your actual account can still be Primary on your friend's system, Primary Status is account independent.
Ah, I see! Thanks for the help. I'll go try this out and see if it works. I don't think the Remote play account I was in was set to Primary status :D

Oct 27, 2017
As far as connectivity goes, how does this compare to Vita remote play? I've pretty much given up on using Vita for this purpose as it just isn't usable (even in my tiny apartment with blazing fast Korean internet speeds). Ideally I'd like to be able to play in the subway over LTE, but I also have access to subway WiFi so if this works better than Vita, I might be able to finally play a few games I've been sitting on.

Pallo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What regions does the button swap option actually apply to?
I'm in Europe/Scandinavia and I can't find it anywhere in the settings.

Bummer, as this is the feature I've been waiting for.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Hey that's actually a great update! :D Small tip, it won't help with actual Remote Play but if you want to use this as Off-TV Play like the Wii U do this:

- Make a second user on your PS4
- Use the second user to connect via Remote Play
- Use your DS4 controller like you normally would directly connected to your PS4 logged in as your primary user

That way you have no input delay and the Remote Play just works as if it were another screen.

Just wanted to say thanks for this trick! It's working very well!

But the way it works make this look like a bug though, no? If it's the case, I hope it doesn't get patched...

Pallo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is it not in the Accessibility section?

There's the regular - "non native", manual way to customize button assignments that's been there forever, but nothing like the image going around is showing.
The image says that this option is only available for specific countries and regions. I just find it weird that Europe (the Scandinavian countries) aren't included, as this would probably help me enjoy PS4 games more. I've always mainly played games on Nintendo platforms and I find it incredibly hard to adjust to the reverse button layout on the PS4...

Edit: Now that I've read through the thread I can see that other Europeans have the same issue. Well, guess we'll just have to wait and see then.

Last edited:

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone help me out with getting Remote play on Android. I've Googled and looked everywhere but the APK downloads always seem to be removed.

Ashler

Oct 27, 2017
During the PS Vita remote play days what I used to do for off-tv remote play was to have my DS4 synced to the PS4, and then remote play off the Vita with another user logged into the PS4 other than the DS4 one. Once I got the Vita to show the PS4 screen I'd tap the DS4 and revert back to the original user assigned to the DS4 and start playing with that one.

If this still works on iOS devices, you at least have a DS4 working solution for "near" PS4 remote play.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can someone help me out with getting Remote play on Android. I've Googled and looked everywhere but the APK downloads always seem to be removed.
There was once a hacked apk but there is none currently available. I heard there is a project trying to reverse engineer remote play but there is money involved. We should just wait until Sony is so generous to make it available to Android generally.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There was once a hacked apk but there is none currently available. I heard there is a project trying to reverse engineer remote play but there is money involved. We should just wait until Sony is so generous to make it available to Android generally.
Alright. I hope soon.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Someone mentioned that there was a problem with needing a rooted phone to pair with a DS4. Apparently there are some additions to Android Q that could support pairing without rooting. If that happens maybe Sony will release the app for all android devices?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I see! Thanks for the help. I'll go try this out and see if it works. I don't think the Remote play account I was in was set to Primary status :D

Sorry I should have mentioned this before but I thought new accounts get automatically flagged as primary on the system they are created on, I guess not. I'm sure after you did this it will be smooth-sailing! :)

Just wanted to say thanks for this trick! It's working very well!

But the way it works make this look like a bug though, no? If it's the case, I hope it doesn't get patched...

I'm glad I could help! And hmm well it hasn't been patched in two years so far so I don't think they will, it's mostly a side-effect of the multi-user system of the PS4 and not really a bug as you have to allow this for local multiplayer to work anyway.