• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spaggy

Oct 26, 2017
I think I'd use remote play just to manage my HDD space while I'm at work whenever I want to download something new to play by the time I get home. Nice

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
A few things -

a) There is no way the Dual Shock 4 will ever be updated to pair with an iOS device, unless Apple radically reworks iOS. It isn't possible to update devices to MFi retrospectively, they have to ship with a hardware based cert on the device, and Apple block all non-MFi devices on iOS. Those of us who note iOS is a huge con to extract licensing fees compared to a proper OS aren't kidding about that bit y'know. Even then, it wouldn't work especially well without changes to iOS's Bluetooth stack.

b) Sony could enable non-Dual Shock MFi controllers in the app, but ultimately they wouldn't have a touchpad and simply wouldn't work sometimes. I don't expect them to do that for this reason.

c) Similarly, one of the reasons the Remote Play app is locked to Xperia devices is because Dual Shock 4 controllers paired to non-Xperia devices don't really work, and it's not fixable without root. Of note is that the Android Q codebase includes commits (from Sony) to fix support for pairing Dual Shock 4's to all Android Q devices, so I suspect that means that Remote Play app will probably be released for non-Xperia devices later this year, but it'll probably be limited to Android Q and above.

d) The one exception to c) is that Sony's own Android TV's can pair a Dual Shock properly today, so if Sony's reading they could release that Remote Play app now so I could remote play into the other room, *hint hint Sony*.
Mindwipe explains the situation well, above.

That said, even if robust controller support was possible, a touch based fallback would always be desirable.
That's disappointing. Cheers to the both of you.

Perhaps they will be designing the PS5 controller with near universal mobile compatibility in mind. Seems like a logical thing to do given their mobile streaming intentions

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
What's the point if you can't use the DualShock 4? This would've pushed me to buy an iPad, but it's pointless to me without that support.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
How does the native remote play compare to R-Play? R-Play has been flawless for me...far superior to Vita.

I may give it a shot tonight to see.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
X/O confirm/cancel swap is interesting. My Vita is imported from Japan so I see it happen automatically there. It's a fun little novelty for me at times, and since I play on Nintendo platforms so often, the position of O sometimes feels a bit more intuitive as my confirm button.

Tempted to take advantage of that feature, lol.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
General tips for RP:
- Don't use PS4 WiFi module for internet [it greatly caps the home wifi transfer speed for RP]
- Turn on 60fps game streaming [this reduces lag even in 30fps games]
- Test both PS4 Wifi and Router WiFi for home streaming, find the best one for you.

My PS4 settles down in basic&quiet rest mode when downloads are complete [downloads turn on APU, HDD and cooling fan].
Is there anyway to connect to ethernet when your modem is in a another room?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
R-Play supports MFI-controllers.
Yeah, this is what I've been using forever.

Guess I'll keep using it.

I'm surprised Apple allowed this. Didn't they reject Steam streaming because purchases can bypass the App Store?
Which never made sense because apps like this have existed forever. There are multiple PC remote play streaming apps as well (and were at the time of Valve's denial). Valve was singled out for some reason.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
What's the point if you can't use the DualShock 4? This would've pushed me to buy an iPad, but it's pointless to me without that support.
Well at least the second user workaround still works and you can blend out the touch buttons, so I can use the DS4 normally while its connected to my PS4. Its not like I would use this feature outside of my home anyway, so its all good for me.

this REALLY needs to be added to the OP

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Tyrone Biggums voice: "That's good and all but um... did they add anymore of that stability?"

NoctisLC

Jun 5, 2018
Weird they left off name change. I did mine via the beta last year and have had 0 issues from it.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
These were my exact first thoughts. WTF Apple?
Didn't it have to do with the Steam app allowing you to purchase games? Maybe I'm not remembering right.

Shouldn't be a problem with a Remote Play app that does nothing but allow Remote Play.
Apparently you can only swap O and X on systems with O as confirm (Asia), you can't do it on US or EU PS4s which uses X as confirm.
The fuck is this? Why would they add a "do it wrong" setting for the regions where it was correct to begin with?

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
About Android availability, iOS could be used as a "soft launch" and the app extended to other brand and/or devices.

And for now the app need a WiFi connection, won't work with the integrated cellular modem.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
X/O swap being for Asian hardware only is really disappointing. My PS4 is my first PlayStation bought in Europe and I still fuck up confirm and back from time to time; it'd be nice to get it back the way I'm used to it.

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't it have to do with the Steam app allowing you to purchase games? Maybe I'm not remembering right.

Shouldn't be a problem with a Remote Play app that does nothing but allow Remote Play.

It's been a while since I've tried the PS4 remote play function, does it not provide access to the store? If so, that would explain it.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's been a while since I've tried the PS4 remote play function, does it not provide access to the store? If so, that would explain it.
Just basing this on my experience with the android app on Xperia, but all it does is Remote Play. No store access, that is a separate app.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish they would let us save settings for games regarding X/O swapping. Haven't tested the firmware yet.. but I doubt it would let me do that.

I bought a physical copy of GT Sport, then got annoyed at having the disc in (I play it every day to get the Daily Workout free car), so I bought a copy from an Asian PSN store (digital and in english), but Im so annoyed at pressing Circle rather than X to enter a menu (Especially irritating when putting liveries on cars), Im never going to get used to using X everywhere except in GT Sport :(

If they let you store the swop per game.. that'd solve that issue for me.

Shini42

Jan 7, 2018
Just tested remote play with my ipad. Works great. Supports MFi controller with on screen supplements only needed for settings, PS, touch pad and, weirdly, R3/L3. Played Spider-Man no problem.
The only downside for me is lack of HDR support. Wouldn't call it unexpected, since we have same problem with video sharing, still somewhat disappointing.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I forgot remote play even existed on PS4..Im assuming it's laggy as fuck..

Edit: Hmm reading posts above maybe not, I'll try it with my iPad tonight.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I can't recall when last an upate meant anything for me.

And just so there is no confusion this one doesn't either.

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
That interchangeable confirm for X/O is huge. I had been shipping my consoles from the US to the Philippines just because I didn't like how the Asian PS4s use circle to confirm. Hope this is implemented in future consoles from the get go.

TheGameshark

Oct 27, 2017
Catonsville, MD
Last time I tried remote play on which was on a MacBook, it was super fucking laggy. Maybe I'll give it another shot on my iPad Pro although no controller support sucks.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
I'm now happily hoping Sony's mobile division to fold as quickly as possible. Thanks for excluding non-Xperia devices for remote play.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I thought name change was coming... I was so ready. They said Early 2019... we're almost past Q1 already.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone test MFi controllers with remote play yet? Will buy one once it's confirmed it works.

I'm sure their is a work around to get DS4 working, there was in the R-Play app. Wow, that guy must have had his whole world turned upside down today now that Sony made this app and for free

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
In USA, I updated to 6.50, and I'm in settings > systems and don't see the ability to reverse X and O. Is it not in the US or am I not in the right area?

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Just tweeted this old gem to Wario64
n5Sn3oP.jpg

lol

Oct 25, 2017
Debating rooting my Android to get remote play working just the other day. Ended up buying an R2 L2 grip for my vita instead. Really hope it comes to all Android phones soon and with DS4 support.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Is there a way to use the DS4 paired with your PS4 while displaying on your iPad via Remote Play? Or is that also out of the question?

Edit: Beaten, see the answer two posts up. Thanks!

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
how well does it work on iphone x/xs can you stretch the screen to hide black bars on 21:9 games and does the home bar stay active all the time ?

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
the most interesting thing I learned from this is that Apple and Cisco have an agreement over the IOS trademark.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
Thank God for X / O swap, sometimes I get confused when using my DS4 on Switch and I hate you can't get that layout when changing PS4 language to JP.