• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
And for all we know, 0 of them could be working right now. They didn't say; all they said was that by launch of the top 100 games almost all will be playable. We just don't know.
You are correct. We don't know. That's why, when you say that Sony have an expectation of <100 at launch, I'm calling that bullshit. I'm not here saying I expect 3000 games to be playable, you're the one giving numbers.

How is it clear that it's more than the "almost all of the top 100" at launch?
You're not reading that properly.

I mean that in good faith. It's not an insult. I assume there is a reasonable explanation for you not reading it properly, but whatever the reason, you're not.

I will make one further attempt to make this point.

It is not clear that there will be more than the top 100 at launch.

Previously, up until recently, there were people interpreting Sony's statement to mean that there would be no more than 100 of the top PS4 games at launch.

Based on Sony's statement today, it is clear that this interpretation is incorrect. The number itself is not clear and there was never a chance that it was going to be clear today. However, they are clearly not saying that only the top 100 games, and nothing else, will be playable.

In short.

Before this statement: Some people were saying maximum 100 games would be playable at launch
After this statement: No number, but no maximum.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Sorry, ~8 months? What exactly are you questioning here? It's just another way to say they espect almost all of the top 100 ready by launch. Meaning it will take the next 8 months for them to get those playable. Although I guess I'm assuming a late november launch here.

I've posted my opinion pretty thoroughly so not sure what you want me to repeat here. I think they are likely prioritizing their work by game popularity; that seems pretty clear. They've indicated they expect to get "almost all" of the top 100 done by launch.

You keep saying this as if it will take all of Sony's software engineers that are working on BC to get almost all of the top 100 games working by launch. I'm going to paraphrase what Cerny said as I rewatch that section of the video.

The PS5 GPU is backwards compatible with the PS4 GPU.

One way to get BC is to incorporate previous chipsets to, essentially recreate the old system within the new system on a hardware basic, but that's expensive (I.e. not what the PS5 is doing).

You can also use the logic of the old systems within the framework of the new system when running older generation games. This allows the new console to run in legacy modes (BC modes). On this slide they even show PS4 and PS4 Pro as separate legacy modes.

AMD took years to ACHIEVE this unification mode.

Running PS4 and PS4 Pro games in BOOSTED modes adds increased complexity. Titles have to be tested individually.

Results are excellent. The top 100 PS4 games were sampled and almost all of them are expected to be playable at launch...this is directly in context of the BOOSTED mode/increased frequency.

They have optional GPU features but developers aren't required to use them (maybe you could argue this was a transition away from BC and into general features).

The PlayStation blog then went on to say they have already tested hundreds of games and expect to test thousands in the lead up TO LAUNCH.

Now if you want to quibble with how many games will be verified by launch or how many games will be boosted by launch then fine. Sony hasn't been clear about that. However between the earlier statements about BC being a big deal to Sony during the initial interviews about the PS5 and the paraphrased quotes above I find it very hard to take the stance that it seems Sony will only have <100 of the top games ready by launch. I say this without meaning disrespect but that's asinine.

PS4 games will be BC at launch on a hardware basis. Sony is working on testing as many games as possible for boosted frequencies. The sky is not falling.

Last edited:

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Based on Sony's statement today, it is clear that this interpretation is incorrect. The number itself is not clear and there was never a chance that it was going to be clear today.

I asked you to quote where in Sony's statement they made anything clear about what would be ready at launch. nothing?

You keep just repeating that the statement today clarified something; but you can't seem to point out how/where in the statement they did that.

The statement today modified nothing about what they said about what would be playable at launch. Not interested in being told I'm wrong unless you post some quotes from Sony.

And "of the top 100 games almost all will be playable" is not an interpretation.. it's what they claimed. My interpretation is that they are hinting it's all will be available; I have never said they claimed that.. it's what I'm getting out of their lack of any other clarity on the topic.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I asked you to quote where in Sony's statement they made anything clear about what would be ready at launch. nothing?
The first question you asked on this topic, to which I replied, was " what have they clarified?" - a general question about what was unclear before which is clear now.

That is the question which I have answered three times. You will not get a fourth response.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
The first question you asked on this topic, to which I replied, was " what have they clarified?" - a general question about what was unclear before which is clear now.

That is the question which I have answered three times. You will not get a fourth response.
The word launch does not appear in today's statement.. so how can anything they said involve providing clarity for what will be playable at launch?

It's like.. 3 paragraphs.. you have not once pointed out any of that statement that applies to launch.. because it's impossible.. since they didn't say anything about launch today.

So now I'm done... my question in this thread never answered.. "what clarity did they provide about games playable at launch?" Just insults, run arounds.. and you, while polite, now refuse to answer the most basic question with a simple quote from their statement.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

You keep just repeating that the statement today clarified something; but you can't seem to point out how/where in the statement they did that.

The statement today modified nothing about what they said about what would be playable at launch. Not interested in being told I'm wrong unless you post some quotes from Sony.

And "of the top 100 games almost all will be playable" is not an interpretation.. it's what they claimed. My interpretation is that they are hinting it's all will be available; I have never said they claimed that.. it's what I'm getting out of their lack of any other clarity on the topic.

you're not going give it a rest are you?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
They have not once mentioned a "boosted mode."
Yes, they have. There are 3 modes for running BC:

Native mode - 36 CU @ 2.23 GHz, GCN legacy instruction set, they are in the process of testing for this enhanced boost mode.
Pro Legacy Mode - 36 CU @ 911 MHz, GCN legacy instruction set, PS4 Pro games run natively.
PS4 Legacy Mode - 18 CU @ 800 MHz, GCN legacy instruction set, PS4 games run natively.

fQwGY6M.png

I time stamped video for you to watch.

Last edited:

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Cerny specially did.
No he didn't; he said "boost frequency"... and said it causes complexity.

Today's statement then said "We're expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency "..

There is no mention of a boosted mode.. no mention of games running at non boosted frequencies, etc.

it's possible they have a non-boosted frequency mode; they haven''t actually said that though.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The word launch does not appear in today's statement.. so how can anything they said involve providing clarity for what will be playable at launch?
I don't know if you're struggling with this, or posting in bad faith, or what the explanation is.

As I say, you asked a general question about what was clarified, and I answered it three times.

I do not have the patience to rephrase it further. The furthest I am willing to go to answer it yet again is to copy/paste one of my previous answers:

Before this statement: Some people were saying maximum 100 games would be playable at launch
After this statement: No number, but no maximum.

That's it. That's what the statement clarified. Take it or leave it, but kindly stop suggesting that I'm not answering the question.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017

Today's statement then said "We're expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency "..

There is no mention of a boosted mode.. no mention of games running at non boosted frequencies, etc.

it's possible they have a non-boosted frequency mode; they haven''t actually said that though.
You're splitting hairs, arguing semantics, and grasping at straws all at the same time.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I don't know if you're struggling with this, or posting in bad faith, or what the explanation is.

As I say, you asked a general question about what was clarified, and I answered it three times.

I do not have the patience to rephrase it further. The furthest I am willing to go to answer it yet again is to copy/paste one of my previous answers:

That's it. That's what the statement clarified. Take it or leave it, but kindly stop suggesting that I'm not answering the question.

I'm the one struggling?

Quote the statement today where they made that clarification.

I'm not asking for a quote of YOUR WORDS making a claim.. I'm asking for a quote of SONYS WORDS that back up your claim.

Edit: I guess only you are allowed to suggest I'm struggling so I edited

Last edited:

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
You're splitting hairs, arguing semantics, and grasping at straws all at the same time.

How is it splitting hairs for me to point out they have not mentioned or described a "boosted mode"?

Why wouldn't Sony just say; "We have boosted BC, and regular BC" at some point in Cerny's talk, the blog post from yesterday, or their clarification from today? Like it would be way simpler to explain that then whatever they said today.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I've watched the video numerous times.

There is no mention of a "boosted mode." Why did you make a list of 3 modes that don't include "boosted mode" if you are claiming I'm wrong?
Native mode is boosted mode. Not sure you have any ground to stand on here.

running PS4 and PS4 Pro titles at boosted frequencies has added complexity, as the boost has truly...

qPzmVjO.png

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017

People also forget (or don't know) about this patent application, which could allow the legacy modes to run at higher frequencies, instead of down clocking.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if you are struggling to read.. or write.. or think.. or what it is. But you certainly have no shortage of insulting posts for someone who can't just quote a simple statement that provides the "clarification" they keep claiming was made.
I was going to respond in good faith to your original post and when I hit reply I saw that you edited this in.

So I'm out. I am sorry that my inability to explain this to you has caused this kind of reaction. If you'd like a proper response at any point, I'll consider continuing this discussion if you remove this portion of your post.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I'm the one struggling?

Quote the statement today where they made that clarification.

I don't know if you are struggling to read.. or write.. or think.. or what it is. But you certainly have no shortage of insulting posts for someone who can't just quote a simple statement that provides the "clarification" they keep claiming was made.

I'm not asking for a quote of YOUR WORDS making a claim.. I'm asking for a quote of SONYS WORDS that back up your claim.

Relax, Christ you've been splitting hairs for pages now. It ain't that deep.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was so obvious they had just tested 100 games. Not sure where people got literally any other idea.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder about the resolution thing... Are they talking about enhancing resolutions Xbox style or are they refering dynamic resolution games that would naturally benefit by way of framerate never dropping?

Basically I want God of War 4k 60fps.

Please.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Man what way to initially phrase things. Thankfully Sony was pretty quick to explain. This could easily have been their Xbox One always online moment.

That's promising. Looks like I might be able to move from PS4 to PS5 more quickly.
Yeah this was my plan. Bringing my library from PS4 is essential.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like maybe I'm taking crazy pills but this doesn't clarify shit. Yes eventually most of the library will be playable. But how many will be playable at launch?

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
They have not once mentioned a "boosted mode."

Dude, you are either trying to win a semantic argument or you are straight up spreading misinformation. At 28:03, "Running PS4 and PS4[...Pro] titles at BOOSTED FREQUENCIES has also added complexity..."

This is directly within the context of talking about what AMD has ACHIEVED, as well as talking about the legacy modes preceding the quoted statement as well as him discussing the top 100 games showing excellent results while being BOOSTED.

I don't know what else to say. I feel like Mark Cerny could clarify his statements while showing you on a PS5 and you would still question it.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
MS solution just works, but they are still testing to ensure everything is fine.

They did the same with X and the console is 100% compatible with anything xbone can run.
No, even with X, there is a ton of work that has to go into everything to make sure it works as intended. Even with virtually identical hardware this is the case, and its eapecially true with hardware that has different architectures.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I was going to respond in good faith to your original post and when I hit reply I saw that you edited this in.

So I'm out. I am sorry that my inability to explain this to you has caused this kind of reaction. If you'd like a proper response at any point, I'll consider continuing this discussion if you remove this portion of your post.

So me repeating your insult of me back at you caused you to bail?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
This is great news. I'm hoping to ditch my noisy ass PS4 Pro for a PS5.

The fact that he literally mentioned the noise issue with the previous consoles makes me really excited to hear what they have in store for the cooling. I dont think he would have blatantly conceded the noise criticism if he wasnt super-confident in their new solution

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If they can incorporate the PS4/Pro "logic" into the chip, is it possible to do the same for PS3/PS2/PS1?

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Sony "There will be games available at the launch of the PS5"

Some people "Will there be games playable on PS5 though?"

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Sony "There will be games available at the launch of the PS5"

Some people "Will there be games playable on PS5 though?"

The word launch does not appear in today's statement.

Still waiting for someone to explain to me how today's statement clarified their launch plans...

edit: LOL, as someone pointed out, the word appears.. but it's all in reference to testing

Last edited:

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
If they can incorporate the PS4/Pro "logic" into the chip, is it possible to do the same for PS3/PS2/PS1?
They're different architectures so it's not doable in the same way. They could emulate instead but there's been no indication that they'll do that (which doesn't mean they won't, but it would be a marked difference from how they handled PS4).

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne isn't going to run at 60 without going in and doing more work on it.
It has a 30fps cap. A bad one though.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Yeah, I mean I'm certainly jumping on tons of digital sales under the presumption that, if I can't get to them all, I'll pick them back up during the inevitable post-launch PS5 lull.
Lmao, nice idea but I hope my PS4 digital games can be transfer to my PS5 so I can continue where I left off with boosted mode.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Now comment on cross gen compatibility, upgrades and such. Do I have to buy Last of Us 2 twice? I think that's important to know ASAP.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
I am happy this was clarified but fuck, their messaging has been horrendus, they need to reveal this thing with a clear message or people will keep getting confused.

Anyway, since they confirmed most, if not all, games will be BC then I'm sold on ps5 already.