• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure this clarifies anything other than eventually all PS4 games will be BC at some point in time. Which is what was known with the previous information. What sticks out the most is..

We believe..
We're expecting..
We're currently..

They're still pretty unsure what they're going to have come launch time.
would you be happy that they said select titles will work? because that literally the language microsoft uses.

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
Basically the problem Sony faces is that they didn't setup their system like MS did. MS put in the work in the current gen to make this a reality and Sony is playing catch up.

From what we have seen Xbox One games will play day and date of release out of the box without any patch/dev work because of how the OS treats games (Game runs in a VM on the XOX and XSX) and not straight against the hardware.

So unless Sony rethinks their approach to how games are treated on the PS4 and PS5 it will be more work to get games to work on the PS5.
This is basically a fanfic with no substantiation behind it. No patches? No dev work? Perfect VM? Catch up? As far as we know, this might just be down to Sony's PR being more conservative than MS's.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
To those claiming this clears things up, what did it clear up?

What expectation is Sony setting for how many PS4 games will be BC at launch, and how has that changed since yesterday?

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Where is the clarification ? They never say thousands or even hundreds or titles are going to work at launch. They already said that previously, that they were working on making more games available. AFAIK it's still going to be (less than) 100 titles at launch according to this "clarification".

It was never about games being available. All games will be available for BC day one, it's just that some of them won't be playable i.e. will have issues. They've run tests on the top 100 and they'll run tests on the rest of the games to spot what needs to be tweaked to make them work.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I don't know how somebody can read that tweet and still come to the conclusion that Sony isn't supporting essentially the full PS4 library. You have to try really hard to read between those lines..
AT LAUNCH

That's what people are asking about; this statement didn't even use the words "at launch" and did not add any information about what will be ready at launch.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
The weird thing about Bloodborne is it doesn't have a Pro patch and I'm pretty sure Boost Mode does not fix the frame pacing problems. Maybe the PS5 will be able to fix that as well as run at 60 FPS.

It does, slightly. I don't remember if it was VG Tech or NX Gamer, but one of them actually measured it and found boost mode reduced frame pacing issues by something like 20-30%.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
you know what you are right. i cant wait till all this is over by november and/or when sony has a playstation meeting of some kind to show it all on the table. I feel like we are reaching religious zealot levels of reading the bible in how people are interpreting things.

wingkongex

Aug 25, 2019
Why would not all PS4 titles work? Why are people content with "an overwhelming majority" and not every single game?

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
What I'd like:
-Increased resolution across the board
-Increased or completely stabilized framerate across the board (past 60fps if possible)
-Enhanced AA and other processing effects

What we may end up getting that I would be satisfied with:
-Games that ran at dynamic resolution on PS4/Pro are now constantly running at those max resolutions
-Games that had trouble maintaining framerates now are way more stable, if not locked at their target max of 30 or 60
-Option to upscale games to 4K or 8K depending on your set

In either case I have a feeling there may be an option given to devs to patch their PS4 games to be slightly more "forward compatible" with the PS5, IE: a mode that will detect a higher GPU clockspeed, more memory, unlock the framerate or remove the cap, etc. So it will still be a "PS4 Game" but when it runs on a PS5 it can get along with PS5 a little better.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Hopefully Life of Black Tiger can be played on PS5.

Actually hopefully not, that would kinda make up for it being allowed on the store in the first place.

Exodia

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 9, 2020
If you want this I suggest you purchase a new model tv from that already enhances the picture based on the image on the screen. The tv is not attempting to give you hdr. But they do a great job of enhancing the image. You don't want auto hdr, because each game is different and just applying a filter over everything wont work. it will be 100 percent better for developers to build games with HDR.

What they are doing is quite different and more complex than that. They are using deep learning,

wccftech.com

Xbox Series X Can Add HDR Support to Any Game That Wasn't Designed for It, In Theory

Among the slew of brand new Xbox Series X features, one is particularly surprising. A machine-learning algorithm can add HDR to any game.

This is possible because of the 97 tops (int4/int8) that their GPU offers for running machine learning inference neural network models.
infact the only TV doing something similar is the 8k Samsung that uses a neural net processor and costs tens of thousands of dollars.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
It was never about games being available. All games will be available for BC day one, it's just that some of them won't be playable i.e. will have issues. They've run tests on the top 100 and they'll run tests on the rest of the games to spot what needs to be tweaked to make them work.
Where do they say that all games are going to be playable, possibly with issues, at launch ?

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
AT LAUNCH

That's what people are asking about; this statement didn't even use the words "at launch" and did not add any information about what will be ready at launch.

I really want to refrain from coming off as rude but do we really need to be this obtuse? Sony has tested hundreds of games for boost compatibility and they said they will be testing thousands (I.E. essentially the whole library) to see if any adjustments need to be made whether it's to get BC running smoothly or to properly enable boost mode. There is literally no indication that there will be significant limitations in the games available at launch beside fearmongering because the exact words some people want to see haven't been used yet.

Is it possible based on the wording that there will be a limited amount of games that are BC at launch? I suppose. But there is absolutely no reason to take that odd leap of logic. None.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
It's a solid 30 on the Pro, but frame-pacing is still an issue which more performance isn't going to solve.

I found the source. NX Gamer actually measured it and found a roughly 30% reduction in frame pacing issues. Don't know why DF didn't collect any data on this.

(go to 3m10s if the link doesn't go straight there)

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Where do they say that all games are going to be playable, possibly with issues, at launch ?

We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we're expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5.

Playable, not available. You don't expect something to be available, you know it will either be or not.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
They said this in multiple wired articles, Cerny this week, a blog post that was vague and now better explained and i'm still reading comments like "BuT tHeY aRE nOt VeRy ClEaR". Seriously...

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
would you be happy that they said select titles will work? because that literally the language microsoft uses.

Unless something changed for MS, I was under the impression ALL XBO titles will work as well as ALL titles currently released to the BC program. The only thing I don't recall is if it was at launch or not. I'm pretty sure someone could once again bug the MS twitter for answers and they'll get them. MS, Spencer, and Nelson were criticized this entire generation whenever they made a statement and people called it PR speak, but the messages lately have been crystal fucking clear.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Why would not all PS4 titles work? Why are people content with "an overwhelming majority" and not every single game?

Even the PS2 and PS3 BC promo never said they played all previous games. MS also doesn't straight out says "yes you can play 100% of all games from previous generations". It's them being cautious since there's thousands of them and in case some don't work.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I really want to refrain from coming off as rude but do we really need to be this obtuse? Sony has tested hundreds of games for boost compatibility and they said they will be testing thousands (I.E. essentially the whole library) to see if any adjustments need to be made whether it's to get BC running smoothly or to properly enable boost mode. There is literally no indication that there will be significant limitations in the games available at launch beside fearmongering because the exact words some people want to see haven't been used yet.

Is it possible based on the wording that there will be a limited amount of games that are BC at launch? I suppose. But there is absolutely no reason to take that odd leap of logic. None.
They have made no statements about what percentage of games need modification, what those modifications entail, etc.

They've said it's complex, that the boost is massive and breaks things, and that they expected to get "most of their top 100 games" ready by launch. How is it obtuse to interpret these vague statements as not being very certain of how many games will be ready at launch?

An why are you calling it "boost compatability"? They did not describe this as some separate type of compatibility; this is just BC.. there is no non-boost BC that they've mentioned.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Where is the clarification ? They never say thousands or even hundreds or titles are going to work at launch. They already said that previously, that they were working on making more games available. AFAIK it's still going to be (less than) 100 titles at launch according to this "clarification".
To those claiming this clears things up, what did it clear up?

What expectation is Sony setting for how many PS4 games will be BC at launch, and how has that changed since yesterday?
giphy.webp

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Damn I can barely ready era anymore without cringing my eyes out since the new consoles have been getting info. Something about being on a forum complaining over "bad marketing" is a sight to behold, honestly.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
OK so this thread is going to be a bunch of insults or insulting posts without anyone explaining what exactly they've cleared up.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
A game like Kingdom Hearts 3 that had an unlocked framerate between 30fps and 60fps would then be 60fps and a game with a variable resolution of 1200p to 1640p like Final Fantasy VII Remake's PS4 Pro version would be 1640p all the time? But it wouldn't jump to native 4K though? For that it needed a patch, I guess?
It depends. Does FF VIIR never go above 1640p (that we've seen) because it's literally capped at that level? Or does it not go higher because there's never any more headroom, the console is maxed out? Maybe on PS5 it could go all the way to 2160p without patching, because there was never a hard cap, just a soft one.

You'll only see improvements up to the cap without patching, though. It's just not always clear what the res cap is (framerate caps are more obvious).

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Github had the legacy mode test data with the appropriate GPU down-clocks.

Yup, I mentioned this in another thread, but this visual is clear.

It's wild because this is probably the key thing that told is it was related to the PS5.

To me, it looks like straight BC won't be that big of an issue.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
It's a solid 30 on the Pro, but frame-pacing is still an issue which more performance isn't going to solve.

Actually much more performance could solve the frame-pacing issues. That article was not thorough enough. They just played the game on Pro using the boost mode, noticed frame-pacing issues and said the boost mode didn't improve things and that was it.

When actually it did improve the problem. NXGamer did the same test and noticed (by counting the frame-pacing issues) that the frame-pacing had being somehow reduced by about 30% compared to base PS4. That's with just a 30% CPU boost and 17% GPU boost.

Imagine what can do a 110% CPU boost and 130% GPU boost on that game. It could resolve the problem completely.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK

They're just being conservative. Practically everything will work, but they can't guarantee there won't be bugs with, for instance, Just Dance 2014 and Alekhine's Gun. In which case, they cover their asses by saying "overwhelming majority".