• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
I think it depends on whether said PS4 game has an uncapped frame rate mode? If it does, ps5 should technically brute Force it to 60fps.

If it has a capped frame rate as programmed by the devs, not even a quantum computer can brute Force to a higher frame rate as the max frame rate is essentially locked down by the game code itself.
I think all the ps4pro modes have unlocked framerate, so they should be able to do it with the framerate mode at least.

And not only that, but faster loading times as well.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It runs at 30 already, aside from frame-pacing issues which is a different problem.
As somebody who isn't a tech genius is there a chance PS5 can help with that?

I would give it another playthrough and see if it has issues still in Old Yharnam
The word I'm looking for is All. And then after that word, they can then distinguish which games can't or will need work. But "overwhelming", "we believe"...it sounds like they are leaving the door open to weazel their way out
of a promise and I don't like that.
Because then you're going to have people here doing the PR for them. Why can't they just be straight tf up? It's annoying now. It's like they like talking in circles
they have to say things like that because if they said "All" and eve just one game didn't work then it would be an uproar

I think today's message was pretty clear and promising and I'm one of the ones who was discouraged initially

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
The word I'm looking for is All. And then after that word, they can then distinguish which games can't or will need work. But "overwhelming", "we believe"...it sounds like they are leaving the door open to weazel their way out
Because then you're going to have people here doing the PR for them. Why can't they just be straight tf up? It's annoying now. It's like they like talking in circles
Because there are a bunch of games that don't work anymore due to shutdowns and such, so they can't say all will be playable if it doesn't include every single game.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
I have zero faith that the backwards compatibility will be handled well at all with PS5. It just doesn't seem like Sony has allocated the resources and efforts Microsoft has to do this justice. The fact it's confirmed that you can literally unplug your HDD from the Xbox One and plug it into your Series X and continue playing on Day 1, while were still trying to figure out exactly what Sony even means when they describe their backwards compatibility shows where we're at with this.

I will just keep my PS4 Pro around like I did with the PS3 and call it a day.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
It's clear to me that many people here have never worked a job that involves delivering a product/service to a client. Even if you're 99.9% confident about something you don't use absolute terms. Sony's language in this post is very similar to language I've used in the past.
right lmao. We literally dont even say things like approved in my line of work vs accepted due to the legal ramifications when dealing with multiple entities.

Jan 21, 2019
So.... this is hopeful. I want to play Bloodborne at a higher resolution and without frame pacing..

Man, I really love FromSoft, but their Technic has always been hit or miss (mostly) miss. I don't think Bloodborne will ever run optimally.

I want to be wrong on this though and maybe, just maybe, Sony will put Bloodborne on PC like Horizon.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I have zero faith that the backwards compatibility will be handled well at all with PS5. It just doesn't seem like Sony has allocated the resources and efforts Microsoft has to do this justice. The fact it's confirmed that you can literally unplug your HDD from the Xbox One and plug it into your Series X and continue playing on Day 1, while were still trying to figure out exactly what Sony even means when they describe their backwards compatibility shows where we're at with this.

I will just keep my PS4 Pro around like I did with the PS3 and call it a day.
Backward compatibility is literally baked into the hardware.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
How utterly, utterly shocking that the most logical reading of what Cerny said turned out to be the truth rather than the propaganda being readily spread by so so many people on this forum.

You are telling me that Sony confirming BC months ago, and Cerny recently expanding on it in a 52-min tech video was all true?!! Damn man, legit shocked haha 😂.

Now time to start getting worried which out of the 4000+ games wont work, because of course it will be that 1 game that is dropping a frame that will stop someone on Era from getting the PS5. Never change Era 😘

Nov 14, 2017
OK, this confirms my original read on the what Cerny said. They know nearly all the top 100 games work fine, and they are confident that ratio is true for the entire library.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Are you telling me ERA jump the gun again?No shit,and I thought I was naive,I love this particular page.
www.resetera.com

PlayStation 4 Backwards Compatability for PS5 won't be 100% at launch, PS5 too fast for some titles, tweaks and testing on game-by-game basis

You sure? And in that case what do even boost mode mean? On Pro it was basicly just some better framerates in some games, seems lackluster if it isn't more.
Era loves leaping the Dillinger.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
This is great to hear. Awesome. This really had me worried. Cerny seemed clear to me, and then the PS Blog made it sound different.

Also great to hear that most PS4 games will very likely have locked framerates given the boosted frequency at which they'll run.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Thank goodness. It was super clear during Cerny's talk, but then they posted an ambiguous blog post that absolutely read as though they had <100 titles even working.

Anyway glad to hear it, maybe I'll keep waiting to play Last Guardian on my Slim...

Oct 26, 2017
I seem to be missing one normal combat encounter on the 3rd mission. Here's what the map looks like. Can't seem to trigger anything in what seems to be the last encounter zone, and I had to backtrack to get here anyway. Is it a bug?

ArbcqsR.jpg

I think you posted this in the wrong hell world

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
This is great to hear. Awesome. This really had me worried. Cerny seemed clear to me, and then the PS Blog made it sound different.

Also great to hear that most PS4 games will very likely have locked framerates given the boosted frequency at which they'll run.

And all the dynamic/reconstruction games will run at vastly higher resolutions. Along with quicker loading it will be a night and day difference. Similarly with XSX. This will probably be the best generation for BC ever.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Smells fishy. I could see a few companies try to sell last gen games plus expansions bundled together as a 'new game, now in 4K! (even though 4K assetts were provided for free to PC players)' and mysteriously the original game won't run on PS5 because reasons. I'm looking directly (and with a mad frowny face) at you Monster Hunter World.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
#TeamBloodborne60fps still alive

You plug in your brand new PS5.
You want to try out the backwards compatibility so you download Bloodborne from the PSN store, hoping it would run at 60 fps.
The download finishes.
You start the game.
It loads so fast that you miss the splash screen.
Something seems off.
It's actually Bloodborne 2.
Somewhere on the other side of the country Mark Cerny is smirking to himself in his bathtub.
You create your character and start the game.
It still has framepacing issues.
A single tear rolls down your face.

On topic: it seemed clear that this was the case with backwards compatibility but people overreacted like they always do.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Yet they did it in the article and not the headline. Do you know anything about journalistic professionalism? It's called consistency. You know why professional journalists don't spell someone's name five different ways? Because of consistency. Many times the writer does not write the headline, but the headline writer and the author should still have consistency. Lack of consistency shows a lack of professionalism. And clearly professionalism is not a required standard of journalists because this Yahoo contributor proves that.

I and many others already said we read the exact wording in the blog and Cerny as the exact same thing that's being said now. Just because you couldn't decipher the English language doesn't mean that's true of everyone. Sony issued a statement because as I already said there was confusion and debate - mostly from concern trolls such as you know who - but just by the simple fact that there was confusion and debate makes it ridiculous to rush out an article definitively stating, "The upcoming Playstation 5 will only play 2.5% of the Playstation 4's library."

No part of that was ever true, because the author didn't even chose to put the "at launch" in the headline, which would put him in line with the "confusion." He chose to make the definitive statement in the headline that the system will only play 2.5% of the library. Period. This is called a click-bait headline. You should google that term sometimes.
"

Yahoo is a joke

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot understand how this notion of two separate modes of PS4 games running is still circulating in this thread unchecked. Even in this clarification they made no such distinction or specificed a specific class of games that benefit from boosted frequencies. Their language is too broad to find any indication of that.

I'll just post what I wrote in the earlier thread. This clarification hasn't fully cleared the picture for me, frankly.

Perhaps I've not read it well enough but I think that despite this clarification a few questions are still unanswered. Mostly the big question of 'when' exactly this overwhelming majority of PS4 games will be playable. There doesn't seem to be any implication that an overwhelming majority will be playable at launch like Series X has repeatedly reiterated. What seems to be added by this statement is that they've openly pledged to make an overwhelming amount of ps4 games, beyond the top 100 Cerny mentioned, but the date for when that will happen is TBD and it's only known that eventually it will occur.

There also doesn't seem like there's any mention of this conjecture of a distinction between separate modes and that all backwards compatible games will rely and be tied to boosted frequencies. Their language doesn't seem to indicate that a select portion of compatible games will be utilizing it but rather it is the default condition that ps4 games will run at.

It's a bit more assuring, though, that they're in the midst of testing more games to ensure more than the top 100 games at launch. My interpretation of the whole top 100 games statement from Cerny and the blogpost is that those are the games they are completely certain of as of this moment for launch and that the testing going on right now might expand that total for launch, but because they haven't fully tested them they can't promise any other specific figure.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
And all the dynamic/reconstruction games will run at vastly higher resolutions. Along with quicker loading it will be a night and day difference. Similarly with XSX. This will probably be the best generation for BC ever.
Don't the dynamic res games likely have a res cap? That being said, having those games run with a consistent resolution will certainly be nice, too.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

They can't say all because they haven't tested all of them.

3rdman

May 25, 2018
No company is going to promise 100% anything.

Every single game you can run on an Xbox One will also run on Xbox Series X. They will also run better by default. Just like Xbox One --> Xbox One X. Some may get even further enhancements like automatic HDR or resolution bumps, depending on what the compatibility team is able to pull off.

No "boost mode", no variability. Everything just works, and works better. Every back-compat original Xbox and Xbox 360 game, and every single Xbox One game.

All of the controllers you bought for your Xbox One will also work on Xbox Series X, and will get a firmware update to take advantage of dynamic latency input too
Just saying...

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Good to see this confirmed a little better. I was really going to be irritated if I had to wait forever to play my games. I'm only upgrading to PS5 because I have the OG PS4 and it's starting to get near the end of its life. Would hate to be locked out of all my shit.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I honestly don't see the confusion, unless you want to act confused.

I do initially. The blog post was at odds with what Cerny said.

Pretty sure Spencer has said on Twitter that he's run into problems with some BC he's played. There's work to do for both of these companies before launch. It's striking the difference in how readily people will believe Microsoft over Sony in this aspect.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
It will be interesting to see how many games, and at what quality Sony can delivery for launch. Backcompat was a huge reason, along with potential proper 4k versions of 1st-party titles for me to get a PS5.

This news does seem like a bit of a hail Mary though, just like the GPU overclock to mitigate negativity, but if they can actually pull off thousands of games for launch, we are all the better for it.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot understand how this notion of two separate modes of PS4 games running is still circulating in this thread unchecked. Even in this clarification they made no such distinction or specificed a specific class of games that benefit from boosted frequencies. Their language is too broad to find any indication of that.

I'll just post what I wrote in the earlier thread. This clarification hasn't fully cleared the picture for me, frankly.
I mean, it says that they're testing thousands of more games in the lead up to launch.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it says that they're testing thousands of more games in the lead up to launch.

I know and I acknowledged that in the quotation of my other post. I wrote that the mention of them testing thousands more was the most reassuring part of the clarification, but other questions remained, not that no questions were answered. Seems like you skimmed my post in this thread and didn't actually read through it all.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Told ya fools.

Edit: jk the messaging was confusing across the board

This is the best response early on. I think it was pretty obvious that there'd be more than just the 100 titles Mark mentioned, and that it was FAR too early for people to jump the gun and predict doom and gloom, but the truth is that their messaging was NOT 100% clear and consistent across the board. Glad to have the clarifying message today.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I know and I acknowledged that in the quotation of my other post. I wrote that those words were the most reassuring part of the clarification, but other questions remained, not that no questions were answered. Seems like you skimmed my post in this thread and didn't actually read through it all.
I absolutely read it. I agreed with the other parts and only felt the need to reply to that specific part.