• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Hi, I'm talking about the option available in the "Initialization" section of the PS4.
On the Playstation site it says that doesn't delete any data but on various forums and reddit there are some people that say it delete everything like the "Initialize PS4" option, others that delete only saves, others that delete everything minus game installations and others that confirm that it doesn't delete any data.

Since I don't want to risk, is there anyone with direct experience with this option that know what actually do and if it delete anything from the hard disc?
I have a PS4 Pro with latest firmware.

Thank you!

horsebite

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I thought it just changed all settings back to the original settings like it's a new system, whereas initialize actually wipes the drive. That is what it says in the manual and Sony's website as well, but I'm not 100% certain about it.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't delete any data just resets to default system settings and would therefore delete and reorder any folders that you have. It would restore things like Share Settings, turn boost mode off, etc.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I did this once when I upgraded from a PS4 to a PS4 Pro. All it did was restore all the basic system options and settings to default. It didn't touch any of my data at all. Depending on how many settings you actually changed from the default options, you might not even notice a difference.

OP
OP
SixelAlexiS

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Ok, thank you all!
I'm actually trying this cause my PSVR image is all tilted and I've read that for some people this restore actually fixed the tilt.

It's annoying to lose the folders (I have a lot of them!) and the sorting, but it's ok if I resolve that issue.