• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Smaller list but I still think the quality was higher this gen. To make it interesting you should have the PS2 there.

That said, it's also worth noting that those 3 games are all but confirmed to be coming to PC eventually, whereas the games listed for PS3/PS4 are all still exclusives for the most part. In a way, the other lists still have that weird exclusive allure about them.
I think the Ratchet and Clank mentioned in the leak was R&C 2016. Otherwise it would have specified Rift Apart, no?

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Platform Warring
lmao at OP implying that PS5 had a worse year first year than PS4. and PS5 vs. PS3 is still debatable. Something tells me that OP comparing how much "worse" PS launch window lineups are getting, but leaving Xbox out of the conversation entirely tells me alot about their intentions when creating this thread.

limone

Feb 4, 2022
Italy
In terms of quality, PS5 lineup is way way better for me than the other two.
And Astro adds additional quality to that as well.

Kroze

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry but PS4 launched with Knack… all other arguments are invalid immediately.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
PS3 is solid, but that PS4 list is bad. Resogun holds up as a great game to me, but I can't say that about any of the others. PS5 only needed 3 games to be a huge upgrade over that year one.

Oct 26, 2017
lmao at OP implying that PS5 had a worse year first year than PS4. and PS5 vs. PS3 is still debatable. Something tells me that OP comparing how much "worse" PS launch window lineups are getting, but leaving Xbox out of the conversation entirely tells me alot about their intentions when creating this thread.
How does it reveal anyone's intentions when it's solely about comparing the first years of the past few PS consoles?

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Worse? LOL

Besides Resogun, there's nothing on that PS3/PS4 list I will ever think about again. Demon's Souls and Returnal smoke everything on that list.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Dude there is no conspiracy. Chill out haha. He's comparing PS launches, it's not some dumb console warrior shit. Xbox fans could make their own thread

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
PS3:-
Resistance: Fall of Man - never played
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - 6/10
Warhawk never played
Heavenly Sword - 6/10
Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction - 7/10
Motorstorm 6/10

PS4:-
Killzone: Shadow Fall - Not played
Knack - Not played
Infamous: Second Son - 6/10
DriveClub - 5/10
Resogun - not played

PS5:-
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart - 7/10
Returnal - 9/10
Demon's Souls Remake 9.5/10

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Quality > quantity

Returnal is better than any other game on that list
Came in here to say this: Quality over quantity.
As someone who had a PS3 and 4 close to launch, I was hurting in terms of exclusives. Haven't gotten an PS5 yet but I would take the DS remake over any of the titles listed previously.

It feels real bad walking out of Best Buy with a game you're buying simply because it was the one to interest you most out of a handful of worse titles.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
The back compat stuff is irrelevant right?

I mean, PS4 had more exclusives but that was pretty much all you had to play.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude there is no conspiracy. Chill out haha. He's comparing PS launches, it's not some dumb console warrior shit. Xbox fans could make their own thread
I guess just a list of games and the statement "Why does each successive generation seem to be getting worse?" with no further explanation or commentary on their statement gets my troll senses tingling. But I could be wrong.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
I guess just a list of games and the statement "Why does each successive generation seem to be getting worse?" with no further explanation or commentary on their statement gets my troll senses tingling. But I could be wrong.
I mean this generation does kinda suck across both consoles lol and even then it really shouldn't bother you

Oct 27, 2017
The PS5's solid first year lineup was much better than the PS3's (middling) and PS4's (easily the worst in PlayStation history).

Oct 27, 2017
You can't tell me that you'd rather play second son or killzone instead of returnal.

I'd rather play Second Son, Uncharted and/or Resistance than Returnal. Don't give a flying shit about Returnal or DeSo remake, so yeah, PS5 was some weak ass shit for me besides Ratchet.

Anyway OP, games take longer to make, that's the explanation.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
PS5 seems like the best of these but uh, none of them are really winners in my book tbh.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
games list is smaller but IMO the quality is better, Horizon: FW would have been a first year game had it not been for covid

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
This is what OP's list should actually look like:

PS3
Resistance: Fall of Man
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Gran Turismo HD Concept
Warhawk
Heavenly Sword
Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction
Motorstorm
Folklore
The Eye of Judgment
LAIR

PS4
Resogun
The Playroom
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Knack
Infamous: Second Son
The Last of Us Remastered
LittleBigPlanet 3
DriveClub

PS5
Astro's Playroom
Demon's Souls
Spider-Man Miles Morales
Spider-Man: Remastered
Sackboy's Big Adventure
Destruction AllStars
Returnal
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut
Death Stranding Director's Cut

Primeau31

Nov 18, 2017
Good God, I really had to make sure this wasn't a sarcasm post at first.

Yeah, "forgot" Astrobot from the list for PS5, the game was great and packed in each console.

The quality of the 1st party (BluePoint/Housemarque weren't at the time but the gears were turning) IMO far exceed the other generations.

There was also a thing called a global pandemic for the first time in our lifetimes and the gaming industry had to adapt and it was NOT a smooth or easy process, it still isn't and its effects are going to continue to present themselves in the coming years.

And check my post history, I've been highly critical of Sonys handling of the PS5 re: not delivering on promises (VRR?), communication to fans, PR in general, and handling of some first party projects, but this take is absolute doo-doo.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
Crazy the PS3 got the "no games" treatment with that launch lineup. People really were on some shit.

Excluding Cross-gen games in this case makes no sense since OP is trying to argue that every gerneration is getting worse in their output but its purely a business decision to have games like Miles Morales as a cross gen game and not a development issue.

CitrusScorpio

Feb 18, 2021
I don't agree, I think PS5 had an outstanding first year.

Demon Soul's, Ratchet: Rift Apart, Returnal, were all excellent. And Miles Morales, while cross-gen was fantastic, and Sackboy I haven't played but have heard is good.

I'd honestly say PS5's first year was way better than PS4's, I barely used my PS4 until like...2015 when bloodborne and Until dawn came out. The only first year games I played were Resogun and Second Son

PS3 might be the ultimate champ tho- Resistance 1, Uncharted 1, Warcraft, Ratchet: Tools, are all iconic and very nostalgic for me

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
aside from personal opinions on the games themselves, the reality is that game development is taking longer and longer as production values get bigger and people also ask for more content out of games (compare the length of TLOU 1 vs TLOU 2 for example).

Add to this covid and you have a recipe for a leaner launch year in terms of software. Sony has also taken the approach of having a longer crossgen period for a variety of valid reasons we can endlessly speculate about so if you exclude that software too it will look that much smaller as well.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Worse? In terms of games I actually want to play, PS5 is the best easily. And I'm not someone who usually has good things to say about my PS5.

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
PS3 is best. Which makes sense, because retrospectively it's like this:
PS1>PS2>PS3>PS4 (and I have a strong feeling it's going to be) >PS5

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
Are people really using a remastered PS3 game as an example of the PS5 launch exclusives being better than those of other Playstations? Lol.

And people in here pretending like roguelikes aren't a pretty divisive genre, as if everyone is into them.

PS5 had a bit of an underwhelming first year exclusives-wise, but it's understandable considering it came out in the middle of a worldwide pandemic that impacted many industries and saw many games get delayed.

Last edited:

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune was released in North America on November 19th, 2007, when the PS3 was already 1 year and 2 days old in that region. I know you're wrong regardless but you could at least try to get the facts right.

You also didn't include Astro's Playroom on the PS5 list, which is one of the best games of all time AND comes for free with every console.

Finally, playing upgraded versions of Spider-Man, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, and others has to count for something, the effect is transformative. Final Fantasy VII Intergrade is exclusive content, although you obviously meant to say "first-party exclusives", but just needs to be mentioned because it was an absolute highlight.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I take PS5 first year and what also coming out any day.
I play games being cross gen don't fucking matter .

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
Yeah, but only by 8 days. And only 2 days if you count the North American launch.

I think it's close enough that it counts.

That's not how years or rules work. It's like if I were "How many PS5 games got 90+ MC last year?" And you mentioned Deathloop at 88 because it's close enough to count. If OP wanted to include Uncharted 1 they should've compared the first 13 months or whatever, but that undermined their point so they had to resort to cheating their own self-imposed rules. A poor showing all round.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Crazy the PS3 got the "no games" treatment with that launch lineup. People really were on some shit.
To be clear, the list in the OP isn't the PS3's launch line up; Resistance and Motorstorm were the only first party launch games.

As for the OP's question, I'd probably give it to the PS5. I feel like both PS3 and PS4 took a few years to "hit their stride." PS5 has by far the strongest launch lineup of any PlayStation imo.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Let's see, two lists of mostly mediocre games (plus Resogun), compared to three really damn good games I'll return to years later?

I'll take the PS5 list.

And you even left out Astro's Playroom and the cross gen games (Miles, Sackboy).

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
AAA games are harder to make and the pandemic didn't help.

Yet I think this is the best launch lineup since the good old days.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Let's see, two lists of mostly mediocre games (plus Resogun), compared to three really damn good games I'll return to years later?

I'll take the PS5 list.

And you even left out Astro's Playroom and the cross gen games (Miles, Sackboy).
Resogun is also cross-gen so I dunno why OP listed it.