• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 2, 2017

A new system software update for #PSVita (now 3.74) and #PS3 (now 4.89) was just released. Changes for both systems:
- Removed account creation from the PS3/Vita
- Removed some account management settings
- Device password required for sign-on

This really Sucks. Gonna have to make sure I buy everything I want as soon as possible before the stores are removed altogether.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Vita was the return of Greedy Sony, so it's apt that one of its last firmware updates is reflective of that nature.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Before you torch your pitchforks, remember this part of the backend is what is dragging PSN features down, even up to this day. Depreacting this is better for the long run.

Spiegel

Oct 26, 2017
This seems like a good update to me?

Seems like they are removing non essential functionality to guarantee longer term support of the store after they backtracked on the closure.

Jul 1, 2020
It's not like either of these platforms are getting new games that would require you to download it. The store was basically unusable on PS3 anyway the last time I tried to use it a couple of years ago.

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
Unsurprisingly, there is nothing new for this update, mainly related to PlayStation Network:

Signing into PlayStation Network now requires two-factor authentication for better account protection.
Account creation for PlayStation Network and certain account management functions are no longer available on the console. Use your PC or mobile browser to use account management features with improved performance, speed, and security.

planetevita.fr

Firmware : la PS Vita passe en version 3.74. Quoi de neuf ? - Planète Vita

La PS Vita se met à jour en version 3.74. Celle-ci est obligatoire pour accéder aux fonctionnalités en ligne. Quoi de neuf ?

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
This will just be to enhance security but i'm sure people will find some reason to be outraged. No idea what this has to do with the store since the update has nothing to do with it.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
This is actually a good thing. It would help reduce any fraud attempt so less resources needed to maintain.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
Removed account settings could mean anything. This part sounds scary. Any idea what they changed?
Haven't checked my PS3 but on Vita trying to use the 'Redeem Codes' and 'Billing Information' options now shows a URL and QR code to the website to do it there.

There is zero reduced store functionality here
Seems they have removed the ability to redeem codes with this update, though that is fairly inconsequential.

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
Before you torch your pitchforks, remember this part of the backend is what is dragging PSN features down, even up to this day. Depreacting this is better for the long run.
Before you lick the corporate arse, you should remember that people paid for their stuff and are now on the verge of losing access because of Sony. Better to hive it off and seperate than shut it down.

Apr 5, 2022
I noticed they fixed the download button on PS3 PSN Store from being invisible, It's actually visible now (unless this was fixed before and I missed it but this is the first time I actually noticed the download button being visible as of right now.)

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The Vita was the return of Greedy Sony, so it's apt that one of its last firmware updates is reflective of that nature.
I really feel this is unfair regarding the Vita.

I remember the discussions before the announcement of the price and people were expecting it to cost a lot more than it did due to the tech inside. The price of the memory cards were expensive but the hit they would have taken otherwise would have been massive.

We also have to remember that Sony had taken massive losses on the PS3 and hadn't had the success of the PS4 to help shoulder the burden of a low Vita price.

Ultimately I think the biggest hurdle Vita had wasn't the memory card prices but the name itself. I knew tonnes of people who had a PSP and they had never heard of the Vita. If it was called a PSP2 I'm willing to bet that would have helped out quite a bit.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Device password required for sign-on?
If I'm interpreting it correctly, it's the same thing as the Xbox360: They've enforced 2FA on the account, but because the device itself lacks a way to input a 2FA code, you instead generate a one time password on Sony's website that's specific for logging on to the older devices, used in place of your normal account password. It's long and unique, so it can't be guessed or socially engineered in any way.

This is also why they disabled account creation from the consoles, as the console account creation had no way to setup 2FA, so it can now only be done from the website or newer devices, which you then import to the older console I'd imagine.

CielYoshi

May 10, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Was already using 2FA for my accounts, so not much changed for me, other than having a hacked PSTV so I had to update the spoof
EDIT:
Why do they even care at this point?
The PS3/PSV were attack vectors for a variety of non-social-engineering ways to steal accounts without 2FA, this update blocks almost all of them (I think with some finagling it's still possible to get the DOB of a PS3 account though)

Sangral

Feb 17, 2022
giphy.gif

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really feel this is unfair regarding the Vita.

I remember the discussions before the announcement of the price and people were expecting it to cost a lot more than it did due to the tech inside. The price of the memory cards were expensive but the hit they would have taken otherwise would have been massive.

We also have to remember that Sony had taken massive losses on the PS3 and hadn't had the success of the PS4 to help shoulder the burden of a low Vita price.

Ultimately I think the biggest hurdle Vita had wasn't the memory card prices but the name itself. I knew tonnes of people who had a PSP and they had never heard of the Vita. If it was called a PSP2 I'm willing to bet that would have helped out quite a bit.

This is dismissive fanboyism. The main characteristics of greedy Sony were an over reliance on proprietary media and cables and the lockdown of the software experience to make the device harder to use except in the specific way Sony wanted you too. The Vita has all of these characteristics.

The charging cable is proprietary.

The media is proprietary and grossly overpriced, even for the time.

Using purchased content from other regions involved wiping the card and setting up your console from scratch.

And you mention the hardware as if it was as spectacular as the PSP was at launch but in reality the graphic capabilities were about on par with a high end smartphone which, at the time, wasn't immensely more expensive than the Vita itself.

Don't get me wrong, the Vita has many qualities I appreciate, like the God-tier d-pad, and it's one of my favorite portable consoles of all time, but that doesn't mean we should dismiss the things that it got very, very wrong.

No matter which way you pin it, the Vita is emblematic of greedy Sony and the opposite of the lessons they should have taken, and learned, from the PlayStation 3's poor launch. If you think a different name would have been enough to solve all of its problems I don't think you're being sincere.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is dismissive fanboyism. The main characteristics of greedy Sony were an over reliance on proprietary media and cables and the lockdown of the software experience to make the device harder to use except in the specific way Sony wanted you too. The Vita has all of these characteristics.

The charging cable is proprietary.

The media is proprietary and grossly overpriced, even for the time.

Using purchased content from other regions involved wiping the card and setting up your console from scratch.

No matter which way you pin it, the Vita is emblematic of greedy Sony and the opposite of the lessons they should have taken, and learned, from the PlayStation 3's poor launch.
I'm perfectly appreciative of your opinion on this but really don't appreciate the accusations of my opinion being fanboyism.

I laid out my reasoning which was specifically about one aspect, and I wasn't even talking to you and yet you came charging in with fanboy accusations and an overly aggressive tone.

You could have made the same points in a much more friendly manner instead of attacking me.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm perfectly appreciative of your opinion on this but really don't appreciate the accusations of my opinion being fanboyism.

I laid out my reasoning which was specifically about one aspect, and I wasn't even talking to you and yet you came charging in with fanboy accusations and an overly aggressive tone.

You could have made the same points in a much more friendly manner instead of attacking me.

I don't have a better word to describe your behavior. What do you call it when someone takes criticism of a corporate product personally and dismisses its main flaws?

That's a rhetorical question. I don't think going back and forth on whether I was too harsh or not will contribute to the topic, so I'm dropping it here.

I apologize if I sounded too harsh but I stand by what I said.

Last edited: