• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will the superior tech or wonderful innovation prevail?

• PS3/PSP

Votes: 184 29.5%
  • Wii/DS

Votes: 440 70.5%

• Total voters

Discontent

May 25, 2018
While some of you might say one side has the stronger console and the other side has the stronger handheld I legit think all 4 are amazing. PSP might drag the Sony side down for some people but for me I think it's better than the PS3 don't hate me lol and I also think Wii is also not far behind PS3. And the DS speaks for itself, legendary console with a library that can compete with any console imo.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
PSP doesn't drag the PS3 down, it carries it on its back. Half-Minute Hero is the best game on either platform imo

That said, DS does the same for the Wii. I'd go with the DS overall, all those great third party games, especially Phoenix Wright (at least for the western market, I guess Japan already got the first three on the GBA) & Ghost Trick. And there are more Wii games of interest to me then PS3 games. DS>PSP>Wii>PS3

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
This is not a close one for me. The Wii has a fantastic library of first party games, and the DS' library was astonishingly good compared to the PSP.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on if you had an Xbox 360 or not since much of the PS3's library could be covered by that console. If no other consoles (or PC) existed in this hypothetical scenario then I would pick the PlayStation combo but I'd rather have an Xbox 360 + Wii + DS than Xbox 360 + PS3 + PSP.

Getting all the big multiplats puts the PS3 at the top IMO: Resident Evil, Bioshock, Mass Effect, RDR, GTA, Saints Row, Final Fantasy, more Tales games, Telltale, Persona 5, Borderlands, Dishonored, Souls, Batman, Assassin's Creed, DmC, DMC4, Yakuza etc. etc. etc.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017
I much prefer the PS3 library overall from the Wii, but the Wii's outstanding titles are really outstanding, and the DS has my favourite game library of all time, so its not much of a contest.

ForthU

Oct 27, 2017
PS3 and PSP were better systems with better libraries than the respective Nintendo systems. That said though, Wii probably holds a bigger place in my heart than Ps3

Jul 1, 2020
The PSP is way better than the DS in my opinion, but I think the Wii library is really underrated and superior to the PS3. Overall I'd probably give it to the Wii/DS.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DS > PS3 > Wii > PSP

DS is an all around excellent platform, my favorite gaming handheld excluding the Switch. PS3 wasn't great for the first couple years but it did a great job recovering and I have really fond memories of it from around 2009 to 2013.

Wii was also pretty great but it did have some rough patches with 1st party support in its last couple years. I dont really have any fondness towards the PSP. I played some games here and there but the library didn't capture me like the other three.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I prefer the Wii/DS

But the PS3/PSP were mighty fine systems.

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely prefer the PS3/PSP combo, but I'm not that into portable systems, so the DS being superior doesn't make much of a difference to me, personally.

I do love Professor Layton, though.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup.

I didn't like the libraries of the PS3 and Wii very much but the PS3 was really good for watching media.
I liked the Wii. A new DKC, first Xenoblade, Galaxy games, my first contact with MH, Muramasa, the Prime Trilogy, Excite Truck and yes I know, MKWii isn't that great but thanks to that game and the community back then I got to know many of my best friends today.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DS beats all of them and the Wii was the last console to get good light gun ports from the arcade. My friends and I put a stupid amount of time into Ghost Squad, so that pair wins.

Dec 3, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
For my personal tastes, I prefer the PS3 + PSP. I spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours on my PSP (mainly on Dissidia and 012).

But to the market in general I think Wii + DS takes this crown. The DS alone could take all the others head-on; to this day I still discover and play new games on it and they're a blast.

arlu

Nov 1, 2017
Venezuela
For better or worse, I feel like the Wii/Ds era was more unified in terms of vision, with games like Brain Training and Wii Sports, so it presented a single strategy in that regards. And so did the marketing and trailers and ads for the pair, and I like that merge in comunication/presentation.

With the Sony portable consoles, I didn't get that. And sometimes it felt like their vision was: "Hey, here's a lesser version of our console offering that you can take with you anywhere".

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
PSP never ascended. Wii + DS soared for the duration. PS3 struggled but got super swole later into the game. It carried the PSP easily.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the Wii. A new DKC, first Xenoblade, Galaxy games, my first contact with MH, Muramasa, the Prime Trilogy, Excite Truck and yes I know, MKWii isn't that great but thanks to that game and the community back then I got to know many of my best friends today.
I kind of put the DS with the prior gen as the GBA was killed so early.

But the PS2 and DS were systems I bought a ton of games for. I played way less of my Wii and PS3. Their libraries just didn't click for me.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of put the DS with the prior gen as the GBA was killed so early.

But the PS2 and DS were systems I bought a ton of games for. I played way less of my Wii and PS3. Their libraries just didn't click for me.
For me tha GBA felt always lackluster. Sure it had great Castlevania and Metroid games on Top of Minish Cap, Mario & Luigi and Golden Sun but it had too many ports from NES/SNES games for my taste. And during the PS2 era, I was a GCN kid (and I love my Cube) but I played more on Wii ( I was able to afford more) and the DS just had so fucking many sleeper hits. Heck, once the DS was in it's final days, I grabbed many of those sleepers for a few Euros on Amazon and reseller. Amazing stuff

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on if you had an Xbox 360 or not since much of the PS3's library could be covered by that console. If no other consoles (or PC) existed in this hypothetical scenario then I would pick the PlayStation combo but I'd rather have an Xbox 360 + Wii + DS than Xbox 360 + PS3 + PSP.

Getting all the big multiplats puts the PS3 at the top IMO: Resident Evil, Bioshock, Mass Effect, RDR, GTA, Saints Row, Final Fantasy, more Tales games, Telltale, Persona 5, Borderlands, Dishonored, Souls, Batman, Assassin's Creed etc. etc. etc.

Pretty much this. if we compare just exclusive games of each console I can see argument for putting Wii and DS (or perhaps even PSP) over PS3 but if PS3 was you only HD console (and you didn't have even gaming PC) it wins by big margin because of its insane third party support (well at least for me).

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Pretty much this. if we compare just exclusive games of each console I can see argument for putting Wii and DS (or perhaps even PSP) over PS3 but if PS3 was you only HD console (and you didn't have even gaming PC) it wins by big margin because of its insane third party support (well at least for me).
Yes this should be taking into account the multiplatform games and not disregarding PS3 because there was also the 360.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
All 4 systems had great games, but the ones on Wii and DS were far more interesting and unique.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Dude, seriously... We all know that the PSP had some really good games, especially from JP 3rd Parties, but the DS was a monster.
The PSP was very successful but the DS killed it in comparison for a good reason
It definitely eclipsed it in sales but looking back at the games on both systems, the PSP definitely takes it imo. The PSP had at least 10 great fighting games whereas the DS has very, very little to offer. Racing games is like a 20:1 ratio in PSP's favour too. RPG's are about equal; amazing on both consoles. Where are the good 3D action games on DS? PSP has two amazing GoW games and THREE GTA games. Where are the DS equivalents to Afterburner and Ace Combat? Or Kenka Bancho and the Yakuza games? PSP fanboyism is the best kind of fanboyism cause that's exactly what a fanboy would say lol.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
That's a tough one.

I prefer the DS library to the PSP, but that system has excellent games too. I actually prefer the previous gen library on both the systems; PS1 for PSP and GBA for DS.

There's a few games I enjoy on the Wii, like Xenoblade and Kirby, but I much prefer the PS3 library because of all the third parties and RPG's. I mostly used the Wii for Gamecube games.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Just looking at my shelves, I have 43 PSP games and 125 PS3 games, compared to 18 DS games and 14 Wii games, to say nothing of digital games I've bought or played through PS+. But of course not all games are equal.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wii had Xenoblade and DS had the best pokemon games ever made on it. This isn't even close.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
By what definition? PSP sold tremendously well (over 80m units iirc) and had a ton of excellent games. All four of these machines were undeniably huge.
It got kneecapped from piracy. Especially in comparison to the DS's output, which also suffered from piracy, but did triple digits. Sony's handheld vision never really recuperated from that and the Vita is proof of it.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
With the exception of Galaxy 1+2 and maybe Prime 3, Wii had the weakest entries into its first party franchises, while the DS had some of the strongest.

If anything Nintendo's Wii output was lackluster and uninspired, with so much of it catering to the gimmick and even fewer of them doing so successfully. Meanwhile, the PS3 was getting some of the best original releases and amazing follow-ups to their existing first-party releases.

The PSP was all kinds of amazing too. I think the PS3, PSP and DS are all consistently great, while the Wii just... existed to sell non-gamers as many plastic accessories and controllers as it could.

Dec 21, 2020
I didn't really like the Wii. But loved the DS.

I also didn't really like the PS3, but loved the PSP.

So this is difficult, I'm gonna go with the DS. It had a gargantuan library in the end. Hm, oddly enough, PS2+DS combo meshed pretty well imo. Has anyone else tried it? You covered many bases.