• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
No, quite. Unless they deviated from current procedure they'd have to retest every game for emulation bugs. They'd also probably need to get permission from the publisher of each game to add it to a new platform, and possibly need a lawyer to look at the contracts to ensure that there aren't any issues.

The PS2 one is available for publishers to put their PS2 games on the PS4 - that is what this thread is all about. The PSP one was used on the PS3 for PS Minis releases.
Yeah it's certainly more complex than dropping the ISO into the emulator and throwing it onto the store. There are likely legal issues even for games that Sony published themselves.

That said, the PS2 on PS4 initiative has been a massive disappointment in every conceivable way, except for the actual emulator itself.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
If there's one thing that makes me worried about Backwards Compatibility for the PS5 it's how Sony has half-assed this. I can understand why 3rd party developers don't put their PS2 games on PS4 if it doesn't make money, but the fact that PS2 games like the God of War games are still missing blows my mind. Unless a Sony game can't be made available due to licensing issues I see no reason why any Sony game should be missing, they should be leading the charge as it's their platform.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
If there's one thing that makes me worried about Backwards Compatibility for the PS5 it's how Sony has half-assed this.
I certainly hope they've written the contracts in such a way that putting PS4 games on the PS5 is as easy as possible. I'm hoping they give up on testing everything also. Test the big, popular releases, and then crowdsource bug reports and reliability data for the rest. Just smack them all up there with a "play at your own risk" warning until enough players have verified it and allow for refunds. In these days of Betas and Early Access on consoles it's hardly an alien prospect.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I certainly hope they've written the contracts in such a way that putting PS4 games on the PS5 is as easy as possible. I'm hoping they give up on testing everything also. Test the big, popular releases, and then crowdsource bug reports and reliability data for the rest. Just smack them all up there with a "play at your own risk" warning until enough players have verified it and allow for refunds.
If PS5 isn't easily backwash compatible I'm definitely going back to PC as my primary console. I already feel like I made a bit of a mistake going from PC to PS4.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
If there's one thing that makes me worried about Backwards Compatibility for the PS5 it's how Sony has half-assed this. I can understand why 3rd party developers don't put their PS2 games on PS4 if it doesn't make money, but the fact that PS2 games like the God of War games are still missing blows my mind. Unless a Sony game can't be made available due to licensing issues I see no reason why any Sony game should be missing, they should be leading the charge as it's their platform.
My hope is that they've realized that while PS2 on PS4 was a cool idea, and the emulator produced some great results, it was simply too time-consuming to implement for a large library and for PS5 they'll just release the old games as-is.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
My hope is that they've realized that while PS2 on PS4 was a cool idea, and the emulator produced some great results, it was simply too time-consuming to implement for a large library and for PS5 they'll just release the old games as-is.

Yeah, I wish. PS2 to PS4 in hd in games they want to play test, deluxe editions with trophies; then sd PS2 classics for everything else. This is a simple solution, but will never happen because of Sony's arrogance.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
All they'd need to do is minimal work for a PS1 on PS4 emulator. My assumption is they either want to add trophies to every game going forward as a future-proofer or they are hoping to do some sort of subscription.

I would not be surprised if Sony adds trophies to the PS1 games, which would alter them just enough that they can technically be considered a "different product" from the PS1 classics that they sold on PS3/PSP/Vita. Consequently, they will use that as an excuse to not honor cross-buy carryover from previous systems, and require customers to purchase them again.

I only mention this because this is exactly what they did with PS2 classics on PS4.

No, quite. Unless they deviated from current procedure they'd have to retest every game for emulation bugs. They'd also probably need to get permission from the publisher of each game to add it to a new platform, and possibly need a lawyer to look at the contracts to ensure that there aren't any issues.

You're right, but this is also required for PS2 classics on PS4. For that matter, this is also required for Xbox/Xbox 360 games on Xbox One. The only difference here is that over the last two years, Microsoft has been considerably more diligent about putting in the effort than Sony.

We've seen many big-name publishers express interest in re-releasing back catalog games on newer platforms. Companies like Electronic Arts, Activision, and Ubisoft are curiously absent from Sony's "PS2 classics for PS4" program, yet have approved multiple Xbox/Xbox 360 games for Xbox One. Sony needs to get these guys to sit down with them at the negotiating table and make it happen.

Yeah, I wish. PS2 to PS4 in hd in games they want to play test, deluxe editions with trophies; then sd PS2 classics for everything else. This is a simple solution, but will never happen because of Sony's arrogance.

It is a simple solution. That's all they need...well, and the ability to play discs and carry over PS2 classics from PS3 without having to pay another fee.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I would not be surprised if Sony adds trophies to the PS1 games, which would alter them just enough that they can technically be considered a "different product" from the PS1 classics that they sold on PS3/PSP/Vita. Consequently, they will use that as an excuse to not honor cross-buy carryover from previous systems, and require customers to purchase them again.

I only mention this because this is exactly what they did with PS2 classics on PS4.

Yeah, they were really good about the PSone classics from PSP to PS3 to Vita. The saves even transferred.

It's kind of unprecedented in the console space.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
WHEN ARE THE SLY GAMES COMING!!!!??

I can't believe they have this amazing system that has hundreds and hundreds of games and they only have 54 games on the store. I get that licensing is a big issue, but they have a bunch of exclusives they still haven't put online.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
The King of Fighters Collection: The Orochi Saga is coming next week! The program isn't completely dead!

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/06/22/the-drop-new-playstation-games-for-6-26-2018/

Thanks to Loudninja
I assumed the idea of this whole program was to pick up speed and expand the catalog faster, once they earn some money with it. Seems like the exact opposite is happening.

I'm glad it isn't complete dead yet but the less games we get, the less chances everyone has to get their favorite game or "deep cut" emulated on PS4. I really wish they'd offer a standard ;no trophy/disc based/premium with trophies + HD res service or subscription.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Yeah, they were really good about the PSone classics from PSP to PS3 to Vita. The saves even transferred.

It's kind of unprecedented in the console space.

The ability to transfer the save data files between the systems was awesome. There are a few games that I've played on as many as five different systems (PlayStation, PS2, PS3, PSP, and PS Vita), all with a data file that started on a memory card for the original PlayStation.

The King of Fighters Collection: The Orochi Saga is coming next week! The program isn't completely dead!

That's reassuring that there's still some movement (however little) in this program.

SNK's been a solid supporter of PS2 classics for PS4, but (from everything I've read) many of their game compilations aren't ideally suited for the system, because of the latency issues that arise from involving multiple layers of emulation (PS4 emulating PS2, which in turn is emulating NeoGeo). Some of the individual NeoGeo games already exist in a "better" form elsewhere on the PS4.

Sony really needs to find a way to motivate more publishers to jump on board. Even Sony first-party should bring over some of their other big hit series like Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, and God of War. With PS2 games now appearing on PS Now, perhaps they can also use this as an incentive to dust off the archives.

Nov 8, 2017
I just finished Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy and actually had a lot of fun playing it. The spider cave was the only level that gave me a hard time but it was nice to play a pretty easy collectathon game like that.

OP
OP
Kinan

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Updated OP with KOF collection and added info about Megamen X collection release date.

tarantullama

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe they still haven't started adding more games. If the games aren't selling well, it must be because Sony isn't doing a good enough job marketing them on the shop. Plenty of people would buy PS2 games out of nostalgia alone. For a second I thought it was because they had it sorted on PS Now, but that service has a fraction of the PS2 games PS4 has (not a lot at all).

I need:
Katamari Damacy
Ratchet and Clank
Sly Cooper
SIMPSONS HIT AND RUN

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think if they're not selling that's the consumers fault. Having said that, Sony should be doing this anyway. Part of the reason Nintendo have such an engaged audience, is because they are given opportunities to gorge on nostalgia.

Sony relies on new experiences, but actually that's quite short sighted.

tarantullama

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I think if they're not selling that's the consumers fault. Having said that, Sony should be doing this anyway. Part of the reason Nintendo have such an engaged audience, is because they are given opportunities to gorge on nostalgia.

Sony relies on new experiences, but actually that's quite short sighted.

Have you tried browsing the available PS2 games on PS4? You have to go alllllllllllllllll the way to the right in the store. Sony can do much better at raising awareness. The PS2 was so popular. They could do a big marketing push using old PS2 marketing tropes and then write, "Now on PS4." I would not be surprised if that actually sold systems to the people that haven't gamed since those days.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried browsing the available PS2 games on PS4? You have to go alllllllllllllllll the way to the right in the store. Sony can do much better at raising awareness. The PS2 was so popular. They could do a big marketing push using old PS2 marketing tropes and then write, "Now on PS4." I would not be surprised if that actually sold systems to the people that haven't gamed since those days.
Yeah there's more they could and should be doing.

But both Sony and Nintendo have been crap at heritage games this gen, and I've got to assume it's because either they stopped selling, or they had some insight that told them to double down on new games.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I am still waiting for all Silent Hill games. also so surprsing no Ratchet And Clank games. one awkward thing is that when I asked the person in charge of Jak Collection on PS4 about Daxter, he told me it is a PSP game and that they don't have a PSP emulator for PS4, but when I asked him about Jak And Daxter The Lost Frontier which was released on PS2 with better graphics than PSP, I got no response from him. If they reelased the Jak And Daxter games as a collection, why ddin't they reelase The Lost frontier too?

Last edited:

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am still waiting for all Silent Hill games. also so surprsing no Ratchet And Clank games. one awkward thing is that when I asked the person in charge of Jak Collection on PS4 about Daxter, he told it is a PSP game and that they don't have a PSP emulator for PS4, but when I asked him about Jak And Daxter The Lost Frontier which was reelased on PS2 with better graphics than PSP, I got no response from him. If they reelased the Jak And Daxter games as a collection, why ddin't they reelase The Lost frontier too?

Someone discovered that the PS4 version of PaRappa is running on a PSP emulator, so I don't really think that's the reason...

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I realllllly wish we could get Radiata Stories, Dragon Quest VIII , Champions of Norrath and its sequel, and the full lineup of PS2 Socom games just for the campaigns at the very least if online wouldnt work.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
The first two especially

They are on my ps2 backlog but I prefer not plugging in my ps2 just to play them lol
i have been considering buying a ps2slim anda controller to plug into an old SD tv just so i can literally only play Dirge of Cerberus, Radiata stories, and DQVIII. literally those 3 games at the least are what i want.

really happy my ps3 has grandia 3 digital and grandia 1 and 2 are coming for console and switch

Deleted member 4532

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This has to be the biggest wasted potential of the PS4, right? I can't think of anything else besides the lack of PS1 titles...

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
This has to be the biggest wasted potential of the PS4, right? I can't think of anything else besides the lack of PS1 titles...
One of the strangest things ever to not port over the remaining 4 God of War games to the PS4, these ports can't be that expensive that they can't make money back, right?

Oct 30, 2017
I have given up upon any new PS2 games to be added.

.... goddammit why they released Wild Arms 3 and then stopped, this make my blood boils up everytime I remember.